Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New Rockhopper Chain Slipping Under Load

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 01:32 PM
bballtwenty2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All!

-Let me first start off by saying that i am a heavy guy, around 280lbs. I had a used smaller tire rockhopper that did the same thing, so i went and purchased a new 29" tire rockhopper and its still doing it.
-What my bike does is when i'm going up a hill or standing while peddling the chain seems to slip. It especially happens in 7th & 8th gear. I have taken it to the bike store and they cant seem to figure it out. I am starting to think that maybe i am just too heavy......
Old 06-12-19, 01:47 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I can't say for sure but at 280 your not too heavy. the bike might not be set up just right but I was riding a similar bike from specialized at 336lbs back few years ago and never had one issue with the drivetrain. It was a nice running ride. Don't remember the group set it had but it was an 8 speed triple and it was good. Sorry I am not much help but I really don't think your weight is the issue.
Old 06-13-19, 07:36 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by bballtwenty2
Hello All!

-Let me first start off by saying that i am a heavy guy, around 280lbs. I had a used smaller tire rockhopper that did the same thing, so i went and purchased a new 29" tire rockhopper and its still doing it.
-What my bike does is when i'm going up a hill or standing while peddling the chain seems to slip. It especially happens in 7th & 8th gear. I have taken it to the bike store and they cant seem to figure it out. I am starting to think that maybe i am just too heavy......
no way, I know plenty your weight and more, putting it down at local races every weekend
Can you better explain what you mean by slipping? I recently ran into this problem with a bike and it was really slipping due to a cracked hub
Could it be than the rear tire is slipping? When you stand you weight the front tires more and less in the back. Therefore not enough weight in the back.
Try seating climbs more (better for your back on longer climbs) or center your butt back a bit to weight the rear better. Let us know your progress. My buddy was 260 lbs about a year ago, after starting mtb he's down about 50 and what his weighed in HS. It's a great sport, weight is arbitrary
Old 06-14-19, 02:54 PM
bballtwenty2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
no way, I know plenty your weight and more, putting it down at local races every weekend
Can you better explain what you mean by slipping? I recently ran into this problem with a bike and it was really slipping due to a cracked hub
Could it be than the rear tire is slipping? When you stand you weight the front tires more and less in the back. Therefore not enough weight in the back.
Try seating climbs more (better for your back on longer climbs) or center your butt back a bit to weight the rear better. Let us know your progress. My buddy was 260 lbs about a year ago, after starting mtb he's down about 50 and what his weighed in HS. It's a great sport, weight is arbitrary
Thanks for the response!
I would say it is like when I go to press the pedal the chain like misses a tooth.
My bike store said it’s likely because I’m using the gears wrong. He said that since I am going up a hill I should be in 1-4th gear. Only use the 7th&8th on straight away or down hills..
They also put a new tire on for me just in case.
Again this is the second bike that is showing this symptom.
Old 06-14-19, 02:56 PM
bballtwenty2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I can't say for sure but at 280 your not too heavy. the bike might not be set up just right but I was riding a similar bike from specialized at 336lbs back few years ago and never had one issue with the drivetrain. It was a nice running ride. Don't remember the group set it had but it was an 8 speed triple and it was good. Sorry I am not much help but I really don't think your weight is the issue.
Thanks for the positivity! I was feeling pretty discouraged and thinking maybe i should just return the bike..
i am going to keep working at it in hope of figuring out what’s wrong.
Its almost like I need a heavy duty cassette
Old 06-14-19, 05:16 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Is the cassette worn? Pics please. Shifting under load? Derralieur limits set?
Old 06-14-19, 07:13 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I think it needs a re-set up as well. this shouldn't be an issue really
Old 06-14-19, 09:15 PM
bballtwenty2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Is the cassette worn? Pics please. Shifting under load? Derralieur limits set?
No the cassette isn’t worn. It was worn on my first bike that I tried. I replaced it and still had the same issue.
I’ll try to get pics tomorrow.
I’m not shifting under load. It like skips a link or something under load like going up a hill when I stand up with some pressure on it.
Dont know about derralieur limits? Still sort of new to biking so please bear with me.
Old 06-14-19, 09:15 PM
bballtwenty2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I think it needs a re-set up as well. this shouldn't be an issue really
I would think so too! Frustrating for sure.
Old 06-16-19, 08:12 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
No the cassette isn’t worn. It was worn on my first bike that I tried. I replaced it and still had the same issue.
I’ll try to get pics tomorrow.
I’m not shifting under load. It like skips a link or something under load like going up a hill when I stand up with some pressure on it.
Dont know about derralieur limits? Still sort of new to biking so please bear with me.
Lots of issues if the chain and cassette are worn and only one is replaced. Did you have a new cassette and a worn chain? A 235 lbs, I'm a masher, your weight is not the issue, get a different bike shop. have someone else ride it?
Old 06-16-19, 11:04 AM
bballtwenty2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Lots of issues if the chain and cassette are worn and only one is replaced. Did you have a new cassette and a worn chain? A 235 lbs, I'm a masher, your weight is not the issue, get a different bike shop. have someone else ride it?
Brand new bike.
My bike shop is good and concerned about figuring it out.
I just rode it and kept it in 4th gear while going up a hill and it did fine. Maybe it’s me. Normally I keep it in 7th or 8th up a hill while standing and that’s when the slippage occurs.
Old 05-16-20, 03:30 AM
Vomhofcycles

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brand new bike.
My bike shop is good and concerned about figuring it out.
I just rode it and kept it in 4th gear while going up a hill and it did fine. Maybe it’s me. Normally I keep it in 7th or 8th up a hill while standing and that’s when the slippage occurs.
You’re not alone. I purchased a 2020 rockhopper comp with a 1x9 drive. I’m also a big guy at 260 and like climbing in 7 and 8. I’ve had the exact same problem as you since the day i got the bike. I’ve had 5 different bike shops work on it and gotten every different opinion under the sun, its been extremely frustrating. I finally got so tired of it that I decided to take it out and abuse the heck out of it until something completely broke. Eventually my hub gave way. That’s what the problem is. I had shops telling me my derailer was junk, I needed a new cassette....turns out it’s been the hub this entire time. My question is, what’s a good upgrade for this? It’s a quick release wheel with minimal spacing, so I hear options are limited. But I truly love this bike, the handling and brakes are superb.....I don’t wanna dump too much money in this thing as it’s an entry level bike, but aside from this issue, I really have no other complaints.
Old 05-24-20, 06:46 AM
Bulette

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Vomhofcycles
My question is, what’s a good upgrade for this? It’s a quick release wheel with minimal spacing, so I hear options are limited. But I truly love this bike, the handling and brakes are superb.....I don’t wanna dump too much money in this thing as it’s an entry level bike, but aside from this issue, I really have no other complaints.
Looks like the 2020 Rockhopper Comp has a 135 Quick-Release hub in the rear, and probably a 100 QR hub in the fork. BikeIsland has some closeout wheels that are okay (heavy, durable, but cheap). $200 for WTB-brand wide rims, Shimano hubs, and Maxxis tires (Here). The tires are even tubeless ready.

Actually, I find that 135/100 wheelsets aren't exactly limited, rather, I find those sets to be increasingly cheaper to replace (as everyone else moves to Boost).