Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

tubeless rim for 45c - what inner width?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-18, 02:49 PM
hman0217

Bikes: Surly LHT, Lynskey Cooper cx, Specialized Stumpjumper 26er, Jamis Dragonslayer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hiya all

Searched this a bit and couldn't find any consensus so I figured it's fair game to start a new thread...

So I've been running tubes my whole life and - lately getting into more gravel riding and having picked up and fallen in love with a used plus bike with tubeless setup - I'm thinking I want to give tubeless a go on my commuter/gravel build. But I am unclear on how to match up rim sizes to tire sizes.

I'm running 40 mm tires but would like the rim to cover 45 mm tires.

For example, Stans Grail with a 20.6 mm ID says it's optimized for 28 - 40 mm tires: https://www.notubes.com/catalog/prod...m/category/89/

But then the Stars Crest with a 23 mm ID says it's optimized for 2.0 - 2.25" tires (51 - 57 mm)
https://www.notubes.com/crest-mk3-rims

Then I found an eBay listing for wtb i23 stp rims with text on the rim stating that the inner rim width of 23 mm is for a recommended tire size of 37 mm - 62 mm (which would work for me)

This sizing seems all over the place to me. I know size isn't everything too.

So what's the philosophy behind matching rims to tires in the tubeless world? Since it is a different animal than tubed tires, I imagined the famous chart wasn't necessarily applicable.

https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ss...ards-chart.gif

Would love to hear your thoughts in what rim size should I go with for the 38-45 mm tire range.

Cheers
Old 12-21-18, 03:08 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
This is less a "what tire size" issue...than a "what maximum pressure do you want/need" issue. You'll run into frame clearance problems long before you run into a rim/tire compatibility problem. If you check the rim specifications...the max pressure rating drops as rims get wider internally. MTB rims for example top out at 40-50PSI depending...whereas road/"gravel" targeted rims top out 90-120PSI(ish) depending.

Easton has a pressure guide chart showing the trend: https://www.eastoncycling.com/media/...20pressure.pdf which you'll see rim makers posted max pressure rating follow (generally). Which if all you ever run is 40mm class tires at 45PSI, it is no biggie...but if you ever want to run narrower/higher-pressure tires you can run into a problem.

I like wider format rims no matter the tire (20-21mm class.. But they do make tires distort large from their ETRTO label....I should do a wheel review of the Light-Bicycle set I got build come the new year with more miles on them....
Old 12-21-18, 03:38 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
of note, the max tire pressure on those charts is due to blow off risk, not actually rim strength issues. So if you go narrower you can run a higher pressure such that it isn't really an issue. Plenty of cyclocrossers running MTB wheels with road tires/pressures during the summer months.
Old 12-21-18, 04:30 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
It depends on the tire. A lot of tires with aggressive side knobs are more sensitive to rim width than a tire with less aggressive side knobs. The issue is that too wide a rim pushes the knobs higher relative to the sideall and cornering ends up riding up on the knobs early and feels less confident with less traction.

I like ~20mm inside width. I’ve found wider and the tire starts getting shorter, pinch flats become more of an issue as the comfort window gets narrower as comfort is from vertical compliance and not width.

I’d go with the Stans rims, I like them a lot. I think grail is better than the crest but they’re both good. I’ve got a few thousand on grails and several thousand on crest.
Old 12-21-18, 04:45 PM
hman0217

Bikes: Surly LHT, Lynskey Cooper cx, Specialized Stumpjumper 26er, Jamis Dragonslayer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Specifics

Thanks for the fast replies

so more specifics: I am running the clement mso xplorer 40s and, were I to go larger, it would be something like a riddler 45 or an xplorer 50 (at least upfront where I have the clearance)

pressure-wise, I usually run 55-60 psi in commuter mode, 45-50 psi on dry gravel and around 32-35 psi in the soggy stuff (at least on the 40c, so I suppose a few psi lower on a 45)

So if - as has been said - these mfr recs are based on blow off pressure, then a 20 mm internal seems fine for the pressure consideration. Stans grail seems like a winner.

Would you mount a 40 mm on a 23 mm internal? Or is that getting too narrow?
Old 12-21-18, 04:46 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
There was a chart from WTB which I can't find right now but basically for 45mm tire a 22-23mm internal rim is a nice compromise. I noticed that with WTB tires when you are on the narrower side of rims they are not as optimal. For example a WTB Resolute 650x42 on a 19mm internal rim ends up being 40.5mm wide. But same tire on a 22.5mm rim (dt swiss xr361) it ends up being 43.5mm. I'd rather the tire be wider than narrower but others might like it the other way around.
Old 12-21-18, 04:54 PM
gus6464

Ahh here it is. This is per Schwalbe's recommendation which I found as a good middle ground.

Also to note Stan's rims are a little on the softer side. If that's what you want cool but also take a look at DT Swiss rims. Every shop I've walked into has recommended the XR rims if you are not looking for something deep dish.
Old 12-21-18, 04:55 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by hman0217
Thanks for the fast replies

so more specifics: I am running the clement mso xplorer 40s and, were I to go larger, it would be something like a riddler 45 or an xplorer 50 (at least upfront where I have the clearance)

pressure-wise, I usually run 55-60 psi in commuter mode, 45-50 psi on dry gravel and around 32-35 psi in the soggy stuff (at least on the 40c, so I suppose a few psi lower on a 45)

So if - as has been said - these mfr recs are based on blow off pressure, then a 20 mm internal seems fine for the pressure consideration. Stans grail seems like a winner.

What is your budget? Lots of rims out there around that class....although the 21-25mm category gets a bit thin in alloy rims....further once you start shopping high-end alloy rims, with nice hubs you find yourself in high-3 and low-4 figures wheel costs.

For reference... "40mm" (labeled as 700x38) Vittoria Terrene Dry tires inflate to 42+mm on 21mm rims.
Old 12-21-18, 05:04 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
It depends on the tire. A lot of tires with aggressive side knobs are more sensitive to rim width than a tire with less aggressive side knobs. The issue is that too wide a rim pushes the knobs higher relative to the sideall and cornering ends up riding up on the knobs early and feels less confident with less traction.

I like ~20mm inside width. I’ve found wider and the tire starts getting shorter, pinch flats become more of an issue as the comfort window gets narrower as comfort is from vertical compliance and not width.

I’d go with the Stans rims, I like them a lot. I think grail is better than the crest but they’re both good. I’ve got a few thousand on grails and several thousand on crest.
Hmm well that helps on the DT Swiss1400 argument of wanting the CR or the ER series. the CR is 22 , the ER is 20 yet has the asymmetrical spokes. So win / win
Old 12-21-18, 05:06 PM
Metieval

If it was a GK SK, in a heart beat!
the bike I test rode was the GK SK on (I think) 25 internal and also had an AX Fork on 853 steel. Smoooth!

however, I don't think I'd ever run the SK... I like the MSO.

Last edited by Metieval; 12-21-18 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 05:18 PM
hman0217

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
What is your budget? Lots of rims out there around that class....although the 21-25mm category gets a bit thin in alloy rims....further once you start shopping high-end alloy rims, with nice hubs you find yourself in high-3 and low-4 figures wheel costs.

For reference... "40mm" (labeled as 700x38) Vittoria Terrene Dry tires inflate to 42+mm on 21mm rims.
I'd love to eventually build up a really nice set but, for now, I'd like to get a trial wheel set just to test out the tubeless waters. I see there a lot of almost-new wheel sets of DT Swiss, Stans, WTB on eBay between 200 and 300. There is of course that undeniable itch just to go for the gold and build the dream set, but the more reasonable side of me is the one that's currently online

Noted on the Terrene Dry. That's a pretty dramatic deviation. Like Continental in the opposite direction.

Originally Posted by gus6464
Ahh here it is. This is per Schwalbe's recommendation which I found as a good middle ground.

Also to note Stan's rims are a little on the softer side. If that's what you want cool but also take a look at DT Swiss rims. Every shop I've walked into has recommended the XR rims if you are not looking for something deep dish.
Yea that's the chart that dominates the web search. I just didn't know whether the same guideline applies to tubeless.

I'm not attached to one brand or the other. Stan's dominates tubeless marketing but I'm open to any solid wheels.
Old 12-21-18, 05:33 PM
gus6464

I'd love to eventually build up a really nice set but, for now, I'd like to get a trial wheel set just to test out the tubeless waters. I see there a lot of almost-new wheel sets of DT Swiss, Stans, WTB on eBay between 200 and 300. There is of course that undeniable itch just to go for the gold and build the dream set, but the more reasonable side of me is the one that's currently online

Noted on the Terrene Dry. That's a pretty dramatic deviation. Like Continental in the opposite direction.

Yea that's the chart that dominates the web search. I just didn't know whether the same guideline applies to tubeless.

I'm not attached to one brand or the other. Stan's dominates tubeless marketing but I'm open to any solid wheels.
Most info you will find mostly pertains to tubeless as clincher config doesn't care too much about rim width whereas it's very important for tubeless because you need the tire to have a good seat and seal on the rim. I'm partial to DT Swiss as most of their stuff is bombproof and you know you are getting a good hub. Plus even with a cheap DT350 you can upgrade the ratchet system to 54t.
Old 12-22-18, 09:55 AM
Texico

Bikes: 2016 Gunnar Roadie, 2010 Cannondale RZ140 4, 2014 Raleigh Tamland 1.0

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly what @gus6464 says. In my experience the Schwalbe chart is good for tubeless setups. For tubeless you want to match the rim with a bit more precisely for your desired tire widths in order to get a good sidewall and tread profile when inflated to your chosen pressures.

The chart is definitely conservative for tubed setups though. Once you put tubes in I've found you can go as narrow as the outer width of the rim for tire width (e.g. matching a 28mm tire to a 28mm external width rim). My full suspension mountain bike came stock with 17mm internal width rims and 2.25 inch tires, and I run 22mm internal width rims with 32mm tires on my commuter bike. Both setups function with no perceptible issues.
Old 12-22-18, 10:20 AM
Metieval

FWIW

someone on Instagram has 42c WTB Resolute on 24 internal hookless and said they measure out to around 45.mm
Old 12-22-18, 03:18 PM
gus6464

Read somewhere that rule of thumb is for every 1mm you go up in rim width internal you get ~0.4-0.5mm in tire width. That is when starting out at the nominal rim width for the given tire.
Old 12-22-18, 06:51 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I think you'll do fine with either i21 or i23 for anything from 35-50mm tires. One thing to keep in mind is that rim and tire diameter varies a bit between brands. WTB makes great rims and tires that work beautifully together and with some other brands, but not all. They use a standard that is slightly smaller than what Stan's uses, which most others also come close to. Sometimes, putting a WTB tire on a Stan's rim can be challenging. The WTB Resolute tires I have mounted to Roval carbon rims are the hardest to mount tires I have ever experienced. I was about to give up but managed to get them on with help. That said, they sealed up easily and have been trouble free. But I hope I never need to put a tube in one of them to finish a ride.

Last edited by BluesDawg; 12-23-18 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-22-18, 11:07 PM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I think you'll do fine with either i21 or 123 for anything from 35-50mm tires. One thing to keep in mind is that rim and tire diameter varies a bit between brands. WTB makes great rims and tires that work beautifully together and with some other brands, but not all. They use a standard that is slightly smaller than what Stan's uses, which most others also come close to. Sometimes, putting a WTB tire on a Stan's rim can be challenging. The WTB Resolute tires I have mounted to Roval carbon rims are the hardest to mount tires I have ever experienced. I was about to give up but managed to get them on with help. That said, they sealed up easily and have been trouble free. But I hope I never need to put a tube in one of them to finish a ride.
Timely thread for me as I am hoping to get a tubeless set up for my Giant. unlike your experience, my Resolutes slip on my cheap SX-2 rims with the utmost ease, though they need at least 80psi to seat the bead (I am running tubes) which makes me concerned with using a wider and subsequently lower max pressure rim. Also with repeated mounting and remounting of the tire the cloth strip on the bead has become torn, rolled-up and frayed. - no doubt a consequence of the profile of the Giant rims

Last edited by Bingod; 01-07-19 at 12:52 AM. Reason: SX-2 not PR-2
Old 12-27-18, 09:40 AM
hman0217

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metieval
FWIW

someone on Instagram has 42c WTB Resolute on 24 internal hookless and said they measure out to around 45.mm
Good to know. I hadn't come across the Resolutes before but they seem to have better reviews than the Riddlers, particularly as a tubeless tire. So mounting these on the DT Swiss RR481s with 22 mm internal would put me around 44 mm wide. And my current MSO Xplorer 40 mm would be around 42 mm. Perfect.
Old 12-27-18, 02:11 PM
gus6464

Good to know. I hadn't come across the Resolutes before but they seem to have better reviews than the Riddlers, particularly as a tubeless tire. So mounting these on the DT Swiss RR481s with 22 mm internal would put me around 44 mm wide. And my current MSO Xplorer 40 mm would be around 42 mm. Perfect.
Resolutes are more of a knobby CX type tire. Riddlers are more like your fast XC tire. I am going with a combo of both kinds now. Resolute on the rear and Thunder Burt in the front.