FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Davis (mature) Bike Culture?

We are thinking a semi-retirement move, Davis is high on the list, as is Sacto.. Could you share your opinion on local ride groups geared to more seniors; like 25m friendly rides, more social less competition? All other comments about the Davis lifestyle, environmental issues, etc. are very welcome.
Old 01-01-19, 11:39 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I'm not in Davis, but the Davis bike club is amazing and very very active. It appears they have a race team, but also a regular folks group. I'm a member, even though I'm too far away to do their club rides. Check out their web site. Membership is pretty low priced, and their club kit is super nice.
https://davisbikeclub.org/
Old 01-06-19, 12:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I live in Folsom. I’m not sure if Folsom is good for retirement but it’s great for cycling. Cycle Folsom is the local roadie club, FATRAC for MTB’s, and Folsom Bike is the local shop (we also have Mikes Bikes and REI).

There are dedicated bike paths and bike lanes all over town.

The Tour of California has been here several times, twice with the TT stage. Last year they had a stage starting here and going to South Lake Tahoe. We are not a host city this year but I’d be amazed if they didn’t pass through given that stage 2 goes from Rancho Cordova to South Lake.

Folsom has a Bike Month ride with the mayor and the Great Scott Road Ride where they close off some roads south of town all day for riding. Not sure about that last one this year, the area is under development

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-06-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 12:59 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Yeah, I seem to come up with blanks looking for the usual suspects; Davis bike club seems to be an option, thanks. Oh well, maybe I need to start a MeetUp like the ones in this area.
Old 01-09-19, 03:31 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The May is Bike Month website has statistics on all of the "Team" challenges for 2018. While there are employer teams mixed it, overall it's a good list of various cycling clubs and groups that exist in the Sacramento area, including Davis:

https://mayisbikemonth.com/challenges_club.php
Old 01-09-19, 07:35 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I figured Davis was either a city or a make, and the bikes are pretty mature, as are their sewing machines.
Old 01-15-19, 08:40 AM
Spiduhman

Bikes: S2, Wilier GTR (Arr), Giant VT, Myata 3-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Wind!
Old 01-17-19, 01:16 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you are not going for the coastal life-style, why even pay the overhead to retire in Kali ... 55% of the land mass is owned by Gov't agencies (USFS, DoD, BLM, etc.) and the remaining land has to accommodate 40M people by 2025 or so ...

Pricing and taxes are goinna be insane.

If I wanted a bike life and I had the $, it would be Santa Barbara (or similar)

W/o the $$, I'm thinking the outskirts of Portland ...
Old 02-22-19, 10:23 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Portland?!? I've never lived there, but we have family there and visit often. My take: colder and rainy by huge amount versus central CA. Dangerous to boot, check out the Bike Portland dot org website. I can't imagine why a bike rider would willingly move there.
Old 02-22-19, 10:25 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
EDIT: outskirts, as in a different city, might be good, I'm (we're) considering it.
Old 02-23-19, 10:22 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Where you coming from? What's nice is you are central to a lot of different riding areas. If you don't have to commute to work, it's a big plus.
Old 02-26-19, 09:39 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

I will continue to have business in the east bay, so I need to be a few hours away for the occasional visit. I love the heat, so Sacto area is top of list. Plus, downtown Sacto seems pretty cool.
Old 02-26-19, 07:59 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Davis is a great bike town and the club is very active with multiple rides each day both on and off the ride calendar. We have had other people, specifically newly retired cycling enthusiasts, move to Davis specifically to ride and join the community. We don’t do quite as good a job as other clubs in maintaining the website but that is probably due to our use of an 800+ member email list which is used extensively. Our club site is davisbikeclub.org. PM me if you have more questions or need more info.
Old 03-06-19, 03:49 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Davis, CA is an excellent place to retire if you're looking for a mature cycling community. With an average membership age of around 62.8 years old with a flat, bike-lane friendly area. I'd argue that if anything, the Davis Bike Club is almost non-mature-unfriendly. While they've gotten better over the past few years, the majority of their rides (especially during the week) cater only to those are who are retired or at least work a very alternative work schedule. Plus they finally have a club president for 2019!

Davis, as a town, is definitely something. As someone who was worked at the university for the past 10-years it's definitely an interesting environment. Lots of students on bikes and a lot of blatant disregard from cyclists (of all ages) of posted signage with the assumption that "you'll yield to me because you don't want to hit me." This coupled with an over population of cars going to and from the university or bypassing I-80 during heavy Tahoe traffic times creates a very unique car / bike / resident dynamic. I do like the charm of downtown Davis and there's some great restaurants. I often call Davis, "Berkeley-lite."

I will say that the cost of living in Davis (even the northern outskirts) is absolutely ridiculous. Not that midtown Sacramento is any better. As someone who's a relatively new homeowner in the area, Davis was completely out of a budget. My $450,000 budget got me an 8-year old 2200 sq. ft. house with a garage, yard and numerous modern home furnishings in Roseville. That same budget barely got me 1200 sq. ft. and a house built in the 70s (maybe early 80s) in Davis.

Last edited by softreset; 03-07-19 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 04:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I will continue to have business in the east bay, so I need to be a few hours away for the occasional visit. I love the heat, so Sacto area is top of list. Plus, downtown Sacto seems pretty cool.
Seems like there's a constant back up on the Yolo Causeway, so if you need to be in the East Bay regularly you'll want to be on that side. I like Davis. It's still a small town with a fairly large university attached to it. Good bike infrastructure.
Old 03-07-19, 09:18 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Move postponed, indefinitely.

Thanks for playing.