Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Why you guys prefer ebike to bike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Why you guys prefer ebike to bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 02:33 AM
errymo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Why you guys prefer ebike than bike?

As title. Ebike becoming a trend these years. What do you think??

Last edited by errymo; 02-27-19 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Enter a wrong word.
Old 02-27-19, 03:30 AM
Dazo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest i'm devided on the usefulness of ebikes for a fit person.
I have both a road bike and an ebike, during the summer the road bike is faster than the ebike because of the lighter weight, better aerodynamics and more gears.
I use my ebike primarily during the winter here in Norway, when the roads are covered in snow and ice and i use big studded tires on my bikes it gets very heavy to bike for a few hours a day (which i usually do, for transport) so the ebike helps me keep some pressure off my body. i could't use my road bike anyway during the winter because i need studded tires to bike safely. i also have "normal" hybrid/touring bikes but they are slower than either alternative both in the winter and summer.

So basically my opinion is that using a road bike makes more sense than electric if you are relatively fit, but in the case of snow covered roads, or if you regularly pull heavy cargo trailers, ebikes are great.

Edit: i should clarify that ebikes motors are limited at 25 km/h in Norway because of laws, so if you want to bike faster than that you have to just use muscle power

Last edited by Dazo; 02-27-19 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-27-19, 11:32 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I use mine for getting to work and for errands. I don't ride it for fitness.
Old 02-27-19, 11:39 AM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hills, time, sweat
Old 02-27-19, 12:03 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I have a mighty fine, in my opinion anyway, hybrid bike with suspension and hydraulic disks, Easy to pedal and fun to ride. I also have "many" converted ebikes, One bike I found in the garbage and another is one I almost threw away myself. With a motor, they're easy to pedal and I think they are fun too.

I don't ride to go to work. I don't earn my living riding them. I just ride for fun, fresh air and exercise. Only 800 miles last year on my bikes. 60 miles were on my regular bike (three rides).
Old 02-27-19, 12:22 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Another arrow(s) in the quiver; change of pace is fun (for me).
Old 02-27-19, 02:49 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Dazo
To be honest i'm devided on the usefulness of ebikes for a fit person.
I have both a road bike and an ebike, during the summer the road bike is faster than the ebike because of the lighter weight, better aerodynamics and more gears.
True. I kinda like non e-bikes for their light weight and simplicity. But an e-bike is more likely to keep me from driving a car or taking public transportation. Actually I sold a car after building my e-bike because I just wasn't driving it any more.
Old 02-28-19, 08:40 AM
powell

Bikes: E+ kit, BIONX

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Weird that nobody had not mentioned it yet
ONCE you reach 60_70 years of age you will know answer to your question very well
Likes For powell:
Old 03-01-19, 10:24 PM
Bizman

Bikes: 2014 Carbon Quest XS (Velomobile), 2014 Catrike Road (Trike), 2013 Easy Motion Max 700+ PCS (E-bike), 2011 Lynskey R340 (Road), 2011 Surly Moonlander (Fatty), 2010 Santa Cruise Tallboy (Full Suspension)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I can't say I prefer my ebikes to my other bikes as all my bikes have a purpose. When a certain task is at hand I use that bike. I actually use my ebikes allot less than my other bikes (specifically my Velomobile and now newly added to the stable, Quattrovelo Velomobile) and when I do use my ebikes I use the motor as little as possible. One ebike is my dedicated winter bike with studded tires and very handy to use when there is snow and ice. The other ebike is a cargo bike used in nicer weather for grocery runs and deliveries when needed for my business.
Old 03-02-19, 09:29 AM
steven.burkard

Bikes: Argon 18 Krypton

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is no secret, just look to the Bicycle Retailer article showing the 2018 purchasing trends, that EBikes are gaining popularity. There are a couple reasons that I can see:

1. An EBike extends the range of any cyclist. Sure, you may be fit, but if you want to commute to your place of work, an EBike will allow you to cover a greater distance without being all sweaty and exhausted when you get there. In large cities like DC, LA, Seattle, Toronto, and Vancouver, they are a game changer.
2. Want to go carless? An EBike with cargo capacity will allow you to carry more than just yourself. Think kids, groceries, and even building supplies.
3. Age. An EBike allows for someone in their 60's, 70's, and even 80's to continue to cycle.
Likes For steven.burkard:
Old 03-03-19, 03:46 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I take my kid to school on my e-bike. She's 7yo. Her school is miles away.

I carry eight bags over, £100 worth of groceries, when I go shopping on my e-bike.

When I go to work, that's a commute. I work 12hr shifts, I don't need a workout each way. Especially when it's raining, snowing, or there are strong winds.

​​​​​​There's a time and a place for a manual bike. Just going out for a bit of fun or cardio, or riding with my kid on her bike.

But the e-bike is a daily workhorse. Until now, people have had to use cars. In a town where we don't ride on roads, the e-bike hasn't replaced a bicycle. It's replaced a car. The world needs this. But I'm not bothered about that. I'm just enjoying it.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 03-03-19, 10:52 AM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by powell
Weird that nobody had not mentioned it yet
ONCE you reach 60_70 years of age you will know answer to your question very well
I'm 70 and have been ill the past few years. Was an avid cyclist my whole adult life. Mentally I found it extremely hard having to give up one of my true loves, cycling. Every time I encountered cyclists riding I became more depressed! Enter my gravel E bike! It might not be as satisfying as riding a standard bike but at least I can get out there and ride as much as my strength will allow. It makes me happy!!!!
Old 03-03-19, 01:33 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Hills, sore knees, 80yrs old. Biking stopped being fun after only a few miles. I put a conversion kit on my hybrid bike and couldn't be more pleased. It gave me back the fun of riding. I usually shut it off on the flat unless there is a stiff headwind.
Old 03-03-19, 04:16 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I don't know why one has to exclude the other. I prefer to ride without a motor on most of my rides, including my fitness rides. But - there are places I want to go that require more than I or my 8 speed bike can handle (big hills) so a motor is helpful in those cases. I also want to ride with my adult son sometimes and not make him drop his speed so much to ride with me (I am a senior citizen and 15mph is my speed, 20-24 is his). Also, my bike is my car and I pull some heavy Costco loads on a trailer so the motor is really nice when I have 40lbs of dog food plus other stuff. E-bikes are transportation tools, e-bikes are physical assist devices, and e-bikes can be just plain fun. I would never give up my regular bike; it's all about choosing the right bike for the moment.
Old 03-03-19, 04:28 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Ebiking has gotten my wife back into biking. She's riding a Specialized Como 3.0. Otherwise, she probably would not go on long rides (20 miles plus).

Likes For CodyDog:
Old 03-03-19, 05:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I don't I like my regular bikes better but e-Bikes are excellent for commuting and getting places a little faster or a little less fatigued. However much of my riding is more recreational and I just prefer the regular bikes. I love e-bikes don't get me wrong, I own a Raleigh Redux (which is in the process of being upgraded with all sorts of really nice parts) and I plan on riding that a lot for work but I really am quite happy with my Ti road bike and my steel touring bike and my Single Speed/Fixed Gear RandoCross FunTime Machine amongst the other bikes in my collection for various recreational rides.
Old 03-06-19, 09:22 PM
Steve C

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Being over 60 and having knackered knees due to rugby, squash, and skiing, and already having one total knee replacement an ebike just takes the extra load off of my knees.

I can now cycle to places that I used to cycle to 20 years ago.

I still get out of breath and tired, but can go further or faster or both.
Old 03-07-19, 12:03 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by errymo
As title. Ebike becoming a trend these years. What do you think??
I think if its used properly (you should still get a workout) its OK. I mean if you want to go out with a faster group and just need a bit more boost to keep up that go ahead.

Just don't us it to make so easy as to defeats the purpose. Basically, if you can blow past and out climb the best unassisted riders then you have it set with too much boost.
Old 03-10-19, 10:21 AM
Quator94
Marco Junger eBike Expert

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog
Ebiking has gotten my wife back into biking. She's riding a Specialized Como 3.0. Otherwise, she probably would not go on long rides (20 miles plus).
Thats an perfect example. E-Bikes are getting people back to bike riding.
Old 03-10-19, 03:35 PM
ShelbyC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Electric bikes seem perfect for errands and kid hauling.
Old 03-11-19, 08:05 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
I talked to a 70 year old that road rides with a group. There were a few hills on the rides that were boosting his heart rate higher than he would like. The E bike he bought helped fix this problem on those trouble areas on the group rides (thus he can still do what he loves and ride with his friends).
Old 03-11-19, 07:14 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Quator94
Thats an perfect example. E-Bikes are getting people back to bike riding.
Counterpoint: They're new. And like all trends, there's a bandwagon approach at first before the newness wears off and it fades into the distance. Recall the moped, for example?
Old 03-13-19, 08:09 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Counterpoint: They're new. And like all trends, there's a bandwagon approach at first before the newness wears off and it fades into the distance. Recall the moped, for example?
Poor example.

The moped did not leave the roads due to waning interest. It was legislated off the roads. It appears that the various states are making an effort to avoid that mistake with e-bikes. While here on the "just drive a car forum" it falls on deaf ears, the states are waking up to the idea that there needs to be a variety of solutions to the traffic issues.

Due to the cost, either of a new e-bike or of time to build one, I don't see much of a "fad" effect. But then, most of the e-bikes I see are in car substitute roles, such as small grocery runs and commuting. Unlike many here on just drive a car forum, I hope to see more e-bikes, push-bikes, and the like being used in roles that reduce reliance on the auto.

Part of reducing the overall reliance on the auto is in supporting and praising alternatives, not damming them for some lack of purity and machismo.

As to the original question, it is so poorly worded that I delayed answering. The original question is an example of a false dichotomy, to turn a question into a simple this or that choice instead of recognizing that most real responses will be heavily nuanced. I enjoy riding my push-bike. However, I use my e-bike for commuting and chores.

For me, the deciding factor was the wind. It is not at all uncommon, in the town I work in, to leave for work in 30+ mph (45-50 kph) winds. I was starting to think of driving to work. At that point, I decided that I had to do something. I built an e-bike (I am now on version two) and found an enjoyable way to get to work that didn't involve driving along with something new to tinker on. I still get a pretty good workout, but I am not arriving completely knackered (yes, this second version relies on a torque sensor based system).

Last edited by Robert C; 03-13-19 at 08:22 AM.
Likes For Robert C:
Old 03-13-19, 05:28 PM
emmokid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why you guys prefer ebikes to bikes?
because I don't want to struggle, sweat and pant during my commute, esp. when climbing, unless I'm in a mood for some exercise which isn't very likely. I need a bike mainly for getting around independently (car ownership is too expensive for me), not for exercising.
Old 03-14-19, 06:43 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.