Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does fat hurt your fitness?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does fat hurt your fitness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 02:32 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'm big boned.
And pleasingly plump.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-08-19, 03:09 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
I gave up on the trainer years ago, but I'm starting to think I might get a smart trainer and do Zwift. I'm becoming less tolerant of the cold as I age, and the riding isn't consistent enough to maintain any fitness.

Just turned 53. And over the past couple of years I've really noticed how easy it is to lose fitness.
Zwift is pretty good. Makes the trainer much more tolerable.
Old 05-08-19, 03:50 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Make sure you are getting enough recovery and sleep. It is too easy to work your way into a hole trying to get back. It is depressing! You gain muscle in recovery not exercise.
Old 05-08-19, 04:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Fat makes you slower climbing but not much to do with fitness. You're just weak from not doing anything. I've known some strong and fast overweight folks. It's not the fat. It's also not the climate. Take responsibility, that's the first step in any program.

And no, you're not going to ride yourself back into shape in a month. If you work hard and consistently, do everything right, you should be fairly fit by the end of summer.

Don't do that again.

Oh - yeah, trainers suck. Zwift is the hot indoor thing right now, but I've gotten by just fine on my resistance rollers every winter for over 20 years. Just throw the bike on them and go.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 05-08-19 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 04:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by popeye
Make sure you are getting enough recovery and sleep. It is too easy to work your way into a hole trying to get back. It is depressing! You gain muscle in recovery not exercise.
For the older rider, I've found about the opposite: it's too easy to convince yourself you need a recovery day or two or three just because your legs hurt. Yeah, your legs are going to hurt. One can't completely ignore that, but sore legs are not a show stopper. I rode 50 miles and 2500' today on my sore legs, but very importantly, at a moderate pace. They'll be really sore tomorrow, but I'll do one-legged pedaling and go to the gym and lift as heavy as I can. That'll make it 5 days in a row. THEN I get 2 days off before the Sunday sufferfest.

Go by morning resting HR to determine how intensely to exercise that day, not by feel or mood.
Old 05-08-19, 10:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Care to expand on that? I'm curious.
No
Old 05-08-19, 11:15 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
You're burning more calories, blood glycogen etc etc now than you were when you were lighter.

Add in rolling resistance. Your bigger body needs more energy to maintain the same speeds.

You're just running out of energy quicker than you used to.

Take it from a 152kg/335lbs rider.... It sucks ass. Climbing is the absolute worst, not to mention additional sitbone and perennial pressure which makes long distance riding a literal pain in the arse.
Old 05-09-19, 12:00 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Make sure you are getting enough recovery and sleep. It is too easy to work your way into a hole trying to get back. It is depressing!
Yep. That pretty much describes my entire summer last year.
Old 05-09-19, 12:30 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Care to expand on that? I'm curious.

Are you asking him to tell you stuff you likely already know? See below.

Originally Posted by Iride01
If for no other reason it's extra weight which means you have to work harder. Don't over look the effect of any medications you might regularly take.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If you have kidneys, you're detoxing 24/7.
They also have their limits.

Originally Posted by OBoile
Having extra fat isn't going to reduce the power you can put out. You probably feel sluggish because you haven't been riding as much (I too am in SW Ontario so I feel you pain). Extra weight will make it harder to go up hills.

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
I think getting the motor running is exponentially harder each year after 40.
What happen around 40? Test takes a dramatic turn downward.
Old 05-09-19, 05:37 AM
flyjimmy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Funny thing. I thought that I might have been the OP of this thread and forgot that I had posted it. Until I got to Ontario instead of N.J.
Like many others I just can’t tolerate the cold anymore. Maybe it’s time for the Peloton. I’m just afraid of a large purchase like that just to become yard sale flutter.
Old 05-09-19, 06:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Anyone else keep reading the thread title as "Does fart hurt your fitness?"?
Old 05-09-19, 10:53 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Anyone else keep reading the thread title as "Does fart hurt your fitness?"?
No, but the extra thrust could help set a PR.
Old 05-09-19, 11:27 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

At 40, you're just getting started. Then you have some experience to build on. I hit my peak at 63, downhill ever since, but still riding long and hard. Figure out what you're still good at and do that as well as the stuff at which you're not so good.
Old 05-09-19, 12:41 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
At 40, you're just getting started. Then you have some experience to build on. I hit my peak at 63, downhill ever since, but still riding long and hard. Figure out what you're still good at and do that as well as the stuff at which you're not so good.
I think a lot of that depends on when one started riding. I started riding/ racing at 19. By late 30’s, early 40’s I had data showings slight decline.
Old 05-09-19, 01:20 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by colnago62
I think a lot of that depends on when one started riding. I started riding/ racing at 19. By late 30’s, early 40’s I had data showings slight decline.
Ah, but slight decline in what? One has to change with the times. I've reinvented myself as a rider several times. I rode hard in my 20s but then nothing until 50 when I started cycling training for the first time. There are so many disciplines in cycling which one can pick up and then work to improve one's results. I've run out of them now though, not being willing to take up MTB at my age. Still, I persist.
Old 05-09-19, 01:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rousseau
Yeah, I guess that's just the way it is. In previous years I'd start to get up to speed after a month or two, but this year I suspect it will take a lot longer.

I certainly didn't help myself with the increased sugar intake, though. All winter I stuffed my gob with desserts and junk food. I couldn't stop myself. The self-loathing would kick in within seconds of completing the sorry exercise in immediate gratification, but I felt like a slave to it. I'm hoping the sunshine and warmth will help me kick the habit.

What I really need is a proactive plan to address this issue for next winter.
Cognitive behavior therapy. Lots written about that. My main therapy has been results. The hard part of getting results is beginning, because it's very hard to change a behavior. Positive reinforcement, but one can't get it without doing the behavior one wants reinforced and results are slow in coming at first. It's tough.

I get my most powerful reinforcement from group rides. We keep them going here through the winter. Some riders say the reason they race is so they have to train. Same thing with group rides. If there are no winter rides where you are, train so you'll be ready to ride in the spring.

So, desire, goal, accountability, plan. For accountability, nothing I've used beats a premium subscription to TrainigPeaks and using a recording HRM to record and upload all my activities. You can see both progress and disaster in real time on the Performance Manager Chart. Another good accountability measure is one of those electronic scales which shows you weight and percentages of bodyfat, muscle, hydration, and bone. They're not expensive. I use one and record results every day.

The plan is actually the easy part.
Old 05-09-19, 08:15 PM
colnago62

Ah, but slight decline in what? One has to change with the times. I've reinvented myself as a rider several times. I rode hard in my 20s but then nothing until 50 when I started cycling training for the first time. There are so many disciplines in cycling which one can pick up and then work to improve one's results. I've run out of them now though, not being willing to take up MTB at my age. Still, I persist.
Maximum watts, leg speed, 200 meter times. Stuff related speed. You get more bang for your buck when you are young. In addition, I rode on a coached team. You get more out of yourself when someone is monitoring your workouts
Old 05-09-19, 08:51 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
SAD and depression can KILL motivation. It makes it seem like you're just going through the motions without really living them. So could it be weight gain? Perhaps. It could be that you haven't kicked the Seasonal Affective Disorder yet too. I would usually kick it in the Spring when going outside, getting some fresh air and doing some yard work, but sometimes I wouldn't and I'd feel sluggish all Summer long too. It really saps the motivation.
Old 05-09-19, 09:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by colnago62
Maximum watts, leg speed, 200 meter times. Stuff related speed. You get more bang for your buck when you are young. In addition, I rode on a coached team. You get more out of yourself when someone is monitoring your workouts
How about joy? Decline there, too? You can get over measuring yourself by someone else's yardstick. Necessary for graceful living IMO. I got plenty of bang in my late 50's, early 60's. Had an absolute gas. Heck, I'm still seeing climbing PRs now on our tandem. Does it take work? Yes, but then it always did. I have a one-time riding buddy with a room full of medals, Afib, and prostate cancer. Right now my only worry is not dying soon enough.
Old 05-10-19, 01:24 AM
colnago62

How about joy? Decline there, too? You can get over measuring yourself by someone else's yardstick. Necessary for graceful living IMO. I got plenty of bang in my late 50's, early 60's. Had an absolute gas. Heck, I'm still seeing climbing PRs now on our tandem. Does it take work? Yes, but then it always did. I have a one-time riding buddy with a room full of medals, Afib, and prostate cancer. Right now my only worry is not dying soon enough.
Most riders who started in this sport at a young age have seen their best times in their youth. It sounds like you are still having fun aren’t letting facts like that ruin your vibe. I am a musician. At some point because of age, my playing will decline. Heck, it already has; I have to double tongue a lot more than I used to. It doesn’t mean I receive less joy from playing, it is just a fact.
Old 05-10-19, 02:03 AM
Minnesnowtan

Bikes: 2007 Specialzed Sequoia, 2014 Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by base2
No, but the extra thrust could help set a PR.
Which is why we don't turbocharge in bicycling. If you try for thrust, you may get more than gas and end up sh*t-faced.