Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Scare and Suggested Front Flasher?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Scare and Suggested Front Flasher?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 08:10 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I got hit in the same way by a driver making a left turn. Destroyed bike but I was basically okay. She also did the "I didn't see you" excuse. Perfectly clear day and sight lines. Anyways, I decided the only factor may have been the road was dappled with shadows. My own experience, as a driver, cyclist can disappear a bit into the shadows in these conditions. Therefore, after that incident, I mounted a Niterider 750 in the front and rear and use them in the day and night.
Old 07-22-19, 08:12 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
I've been using the Cycle Torch Bolt lights (available from Amazon) on my Domane. They're very small and light but bright and have several modes; constantly on, slow blink, fast blink and pulse.
Old 07-22-19, 08:17 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
To OP and all respondents: Whatever front light you buy or use, PLEASE, angle it downwards. I'm am getting really po'ed by being blinded during the daytime by the lights of oncoming cyclists on the rural roads I ride. Its actually worse than driving towards a set of high beams on. PLEASE.
Likes For coupster:
Old 07-22-19, 11:32 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yesterday a group of friends were out riding and an oncoming driver made a left turn directly into them. One rider was hurt, lost teeth and Ti Lynskey bent badly. Could have been worse. The lady driver said she did not see the cyclists.

It got me thinking, I always have my rear blinky on (Planet Bike Superflash), but might be a good idea to have a daylight white blinky on the front.

Any suggestions for a small, lightweight but effective and durable front blinky?
Ahh, look no further than a motorcycle. They must have the headlight on at all times TO BE SEEN.

She is at fault, period. Turning against traffic, no brainer who is at fault. I would guess that she was texting or looking at the phone. Lucky no one got killed. Last year in Charlotte a experienced rider was hit in the same manner. Didn't see her coming was the excuse but she hit the rider and the rider was killed. Scary.

I have a rechargeable front blinker. Not a headlight but just a white blinker. At least if something does happen, I will have done everything I know to be more visible. Yes, that means no black or dark jerseys either. Only bright colors for me. Cannot figure out why manufacturers continue to push mostly black or really dark colors for jerseys.

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 07-22-19, 11:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
yeah, you should def have something. sorry about you friends!
Old 07-22-19, 06:48 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
This is the one I linked above. Not that big and has a steady on/off, not a strobe like the MS900.

Old 07-22-19, 07:32 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Cygolite Dash Pro
Old 07-22-19, 10:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by coupster
To OP and all respondents: Whatever front light you buy or use, PLEASE, angle it downwards. I'm am getting really po'ed by being blinded during the daytime by the lights of oncoming cyclists on the rural roads I ride. Its actually worse than driving towards a set of high beams on. PLEASE.
Yeah, bike headlights should be designed with lenses that control the beam like motor vehicle headlights.

But go fuss at the negligent drivers who make it necessary for cyclists to run bright lights day and night. There's a difference between a momentary inconvenience to a driver, and a cyclist suffering serious injury or death from being struck by a negligent driver.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-22-19, 10:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear it. Glad nobody was killed.
Old 07-22-19, 10:52 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
....But go fuss at the negligent drivers who make it necessary for cyclists to run bright lights day and night. There's a difference between a momentary inconvenience to a driver, and a cyclist suffering serious injury or death from being struck by a negligent driver.
This. And am I the only one that reads the manual?! If a CAR doesn't dim its brights, in oncoming traffic, you maintain your lane and direct your main sight to the right hand shoulder... till past. Keeps you from blinding. MUCH lower lumens in bike lights.... Nighttime/Daytime? Need all the help we can get!
Old 07-23-19, 04:22 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
This is what I use: https://www.rei.com/product/110178/c...bike-light-set

The front light goes upside-down on the handlebar.

I also run a GoPro Hero Seesion on the front, and a Fly6 camera on the back. Every single close pass I’ve experienced, when I review the footage, I can see that the driver appears to be distracted (texting, on the phone...). If coming from behind you see the car zig-zagging (texting, looking at the phone’s screen). If coming from the front most of the times they are overtaking another car and going too close to the shoulder or bike lane on the opposing lane. On straight roads too... so they are either distracted or possessed... Left-turn hooks? They see you but don’t care. They must assume they own the road and you must get out of their way. Right-turn hooks? They seem to misjudge your speed.

I always assume they can’t see me or don’t care (even though I look like a Christmas tree) and ride defensively. Cyclist vs car, the car always wins.

Oh, I use a little sunglass mirror too.
Likes For GreenAnvil:
Old 07-23-19, 09:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Every time I see this thread title on the forum page, "scare" and "front flasher" sends my mind in a *way* different direction.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-23-19, 06:38 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Again this morning, an oncoming car pulled out to pass, saw my light, and pulled back in.
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 08-06-19, 09:20 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22583 Post(s)
Liked 8,923 Times in 4,156 Posts
Bump/Update, in case anyone is following or uses the search function...

I did end up buying the Cygolite Dice 150. There is good news and bad news about this unit.

Good news: it does what it's supposed to. I have been using it for the past two weeks. I generally like it.

Bad news: Battery Life is quite disappointing. I have been using "single flash" mode which I believe is the lowest energy use, and although the package says I should get 24 hours of use, I am only getting about 7-8 hours on a full charge.

I am wondering if maybe the battery needs to mature or if my real-world battery life is typical. Anyone know??
Old 08-06-19, 10:50 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Overkill for what you are looking for probably, but i like this light i bought on Amazon. All aluminum, and they survive skittering across the road well. ( mount broke at speed and fell off roof of car also!) Evolva light. I use mine upside down with a go pro style mount (had to by a 1/4 x 20 adapter separately) since i have a aluminum combo mount for my garmin.
Old 08-06-19, 10:59 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I lost my front light of many years, a Serfas 250 lumen on an extremely rough bit of road. It came off my fork knob, bummer. I replaced it with a Cateye Volt400, which comes with a spare battery pack. Light seems to last plenty long for any daylight ride, though an all-nighter will need to have the battery changed out for the spare. I'll redo that knob mount! I like that it's a very narrow lamp, don't like that it has no cut-off.
Old 08-06-19, 11:58 AM
Hunterdog

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Expert. 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have used a few front flashers and I think, based on friends' reports that drive past. that they really do help. Currently, I use the Garmin Varia UT 800 light. It works very nice and and attaches directly below my Garmin. Sort of cleans up the cockpit. I do not have connected with the Garmin computer however as I kept having issues with it switching from daylight blinking mode.
Old 08-06-19, 12:11 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I use the little Bontrager ION and FLARE RT series (like the cubes, but a little newer). USB re-chargeable, and irregular flashing patterns to supposedly grab attention better. Kind of pricey.

If I'm actually riding in darker conditions, I use a NiteRider Lumina 1200 boost. That thing is basically good enough to do off road riding in the dark at its highest power setting, but it also has a nice flashing setting at lower power.