Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Video Thread!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Video Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 02:57 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Also there seems to be an infant in the race! (on the left at the start)

I don't know why but I am dying laughing.
Old 05-07-15, 03:02 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Old 05-08-15, 08:50 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Prob too little time to recover from having to chase back on with one to go, but once you caught on you never got into a position to win. You slotted in around 10th with 2 turns remaining, gave up position in turn 3, and were coming out of turn 4 too far back. Gotta be more assertive and be second or third wheel out of that last corner. That'll require a bit of effort to get into that position and hold it to the end.
I do need to be assertive, I agree. Where could I have slotted myself? Getting more to the front meant being at the front. Maybe should have just went through inside when I caught up?
Old 05-08-15, 09:03 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
I do need to be assertive, I agree. Where could I have slotted myself? Getting more to the front meant being at the front. Maybe should have just went through inside when I caught up?
I looked at the clip after your question here.

At about 3:00, when you roll up to the left of the group, you could have gone up to and past the guy in green, moved a bit right, then let a rider or three by you. This would have put you in a much better position for the next right turn.

With that move, maybe an extra 10-15 seconds of effort, you would have bought yourself some breathing room. If the side is open that late, if you're in shelter (wind from right) then that's a gift.

In hindsight (of course) you end up having to go wide in that 2nd last turn due to everyone inside of you going wide. This probably didn't help things.

The last turn you do well to stay right on the orange jersey's wheel, it just looks like you run out of gas. Plus at that point you're not inside the top 6 so might as well ease.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-09-15, 06:13 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Still longer than most people like, this is just our guys. There were 54 teams of various types - M/W/Mixed and two and four person in various age groups. This was the LUX 17-18 team and winner, 2nd overall.
https://vimeo.com/127374625
Old 05-09-15, 08:52 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Those 110+ winners are fast.

So its a 4 man TT but only 3 are required to finish?
Old 05-09-15, 09:58 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Yes. Back wheel of 3rd. Guy talking at start got an Olympic medal in this.
Old 05-11-15, 02:19 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Red Kite E4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHU...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-11-15, 11:38 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Red Kite p/1/2 - the one I won.

When he says "two to go - winning move" that was actually last lap; I was the 2nd guy to go and held it.

my race videos
Old 05-11-15, 10:17 PM
abhirama

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice, mattm. Congrats!
Old 05-12-15, 06:19 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
https://vimeo.com/126885731
I am rider 2, 5s to ~13s
Old 05-12-15, 09:51 AM
carpediemracing 

April 12th race, win from the front. Some sliding up inside the field, patience, all that. This is the weirdest win I've ever had (not that I've had many) because I never got the feeling that I won, I still don't. I watch the clip and it doesn't seem like a win, feels like me doing some random sprint after getting shelled.

"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 05-12-15, 09:55 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do you get the music from?
Old 05-12-15, 10:15 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CDR, great job making it interesting, as always. The addition of the 3rd place footage really adds a nice dimension.

Next time I want a stunt double for the snot rocket catch though.
Old 05-12-15, 11:34 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by rankin116
Where do you get the music from?
Music is all from bands my two brothers played in. I made clips of two of the songs from what is probably the best produced band, URT, basically he and another guy led the band (on stage it seems my brother was the front man). One, Two. This is my "brother" who is 2 years younger.

The other brother (my "little brother", 7 years younger) does more hardcore music, I can barely use any of his stuff. However the band Shovel Full of Dirt (high school, back in the late 80s) is good, and has both brothers, "brother" played guitar, "little brother" bass.

My brothers are still in touch with the various bandmates - the URT co-frontman actually does some IT with my brother, the singer from SFoD visits every now and then, Linus was formed by URT co-frontmen + a drummer from Marshall Artist, etc etc etc.
Old 05-12-15, 11:42 AM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by globecanvas
CDR, great job making it interesting, as always. The addition of the 3rd place footage really adds a nice dimension.

Next time I want a stunt double for the snot rocket catch though.
One of the things I forgot to do, now that I think of it, is to make the video the key audio component when you yell, it's just so funny, for me anyway. Totally escaped my mind.
Old 05-12-15, 11:55 AM
Wylde06

I should have started the camera a couple seconds soon (I don't have to turn it on, flip the switch to record and it turns on and starts recording automatically), but here is Sunday's race..I did a lot better this time but obviously have a lot to work on still.
Old 05-12-15, 01:03 PM
mattm
**** that

Nice work cdr!

my race videos
Old 05-12-15, 01:08 PM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Thoughts?
The usual story seem to be loosing positions towards the end, with added twist here of getting caught up behind the crash.
- Your race looks a lot like a lot of the crits here in CO. Last year, all of my race endings looked just like your video.

- In my experience, cat 4 crits aren't often won in the last 10 seconds, but more often over the last 30-60 seconds. (CDR's nearby video is a perfect example). So, you are losing positions right at the crux of the race.

- Your race was over when you were caught behind the crash. It is impressive that you caught up to the pack after, given that it was last lap and the speeds can be high, but the work you did in doing so put you at a significant handicap compared to those who didn't have to do that work. You were bound to fade just as the others started to really get to going as they ramp up for the finish. You might be disappointed that you were caught behind a crash, but you shouldn't be disappointed that you therefore didn't have the strongest finish.

- Your experience resembles the experiences I had when I didn't have the 1' power to hang at the end of a race. This year I have a competitive 1' power (for 4's), and now, as the speed ramps up at the end, I'm not cross-eyed just trying to hang on, but rather can use my brain in real time to think about positioning and tactics like CDR talks about...and this kind of video has stopped being my inevitability.
Old 05-12-15, 01:45 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by mattm
Red Kite p/1/2 - the one I won.

When he says "two to go - winning move" that was actually last lap; I was the 2nd guy to go and held it.
That was closer than what I imagined with your race description. Nice to see fudgy as well.
Old 05-12-15, 01:54 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Wylde06

I should have started the camera a couple seconds soon (I don't have to turn it on, flip the switch to record and it turns on and starts recording automatically), but here is Sunday's race..I did a lot better this time but obviously have a lot to work on still.
I only watched the last bit. Can you get a bit closer? Your HR looked pretty high - 180-185, which I can't even hit - but if you could tuck in just a bit I think it would help. It's one thing to not be able to respond to an acceleration - I understand things like that happen. It's another to not be in shelter prior to the acceleration and then have no margin for recovery when the acceleration happens.

I'm look at 30:15 for example, where if you just moved up a length it'd have been hugely helpful. If you'd gotten in front of the guy to your front left, on the red bike, black/white kit, you'd have been better off after the next turn.

You corner well when there's just the one guy in front of you - you're visibly faster than him, close right up, so cornering isn't a problem. It's staying on wheels or trading 5 seconds of effort for position (which gives you a bit of position to give up later if necessary).
Old 05-12-15, 01:55 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
That was closer than what I imagined with your race description. Nice to see fudgy as well.
Cameo made opening gaps. All I did was let stuff go if it looked good for our team, or chase and sit on if it didn't. Didn't take long until the race was down to 10-11 guys.
Old 05-12-15, 02:43 PM
mattm
**** that

I know right!

It was closer than I remember it too; race video is like power, it's The Truth.

You may remember things one way but you may be wrong..

Looking back I feel like my team shouldn't have tried to do a leadout with me off the front, because it ended up bringing 2nd place closer to me. It all worked out though!!

my race videos
Old 05-12-15, 02:48 PM
Wylde06

I only watched the last bit. Can you get a bit closer? Your HR looked pretty high - 180-185, which I can't even hit - but if you could tuck in just a bit I think it would help. It's one thing to not be able to respond to an acceleration - I understand things like that happen. It's another to not be in shelter prior to the acceleration and then have no margin for recovery when the acceleration happens.

I'm look at 30:15 for example, where if you just moved up a length it'd have been hugely helpful. If you'd gotten in front of the guy to your front left, on the red bike, black/white kit, you'd have been better off after the next turn.

You corner well when there's just the one guy in front of you - you're visibly faster than him, close right up, so cornering isn't a problem. It's staying on wheels or trading 5 seconds of effort for position (which gives you a bit of position to give up later if necessary).

Going up the hill really started to wear on me the last 2 or 3 laps and I was doing what I could at the end.
Old 05-12-15, 06:17 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Wylde06
Going up the hill really started to wear on me the last 2 or 3 laps and I was doing what I could at the end.
Understood 100%. I've totally been there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.