Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Really need your help. I suspect my LBS is trying to screw me over!!!

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Really need your help. I suspect my LBS is trying to screw me over!!!

Old 06-21-13, 09:32 AM
Will Goes Boing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No offense Chaos but you come off as very OCD. She's a newbie commuting to work, she's not competing in the Tour De France.
Old 06-21-13, 10:34 AM
NYChaos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing
No offense Chaos but you come off as very OCD. She's a newbie commuting to work, she's not competing in the Tour De France.
Non taken. That is the reason I have posted on forums. I do not know the importance of bike fit theory in real life situations.

Now, I am starting to realize that it's not a big deal, and the only thing I am going to do is make her handlebar smaller, get her a comfy seat, set of good tires and she can enjoy her new ride.

Thanks for the input guys

Last edited by NYChaos; 06-21-13 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-21-13, 06:38 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There you go, dude.

Efficiency is ALL...when you're a pro competitor. Even COMFORT comes second! But for everyday riding, getting 'in the ballpark' on efficiency is good enough, and COMFORT will make the most of THAT. Just let her know to tell you if she has problems, otherwise let things happen.

It's all good......
Old 06-21-13, 06:47 PM
NYChaos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
There you go, dude.

Efficiency is ALL...when you're a pro competitor. Even COMFORT comes second! But for everyday riding, getting 'in the ballpark' on efficiency is good enough, and COMFORT will make the most of THAT. Just let her know to tell you if she has problems, otherwise let things happen.

It's all good......
Thanks brother
Old 06-28-13, 07:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I note from the Bianchi USA website that this bike comes in four sizes 43, 48, 53 and 58. Which size is she on? The 48 should be about right for her. I also see that it has an adjustible stem, which should help the LBS fitter a lot. Looks like you've chosen a good bike for a first commuter. I like it.

As for bar width, it matters, but it's one variable that can be traded-off among other reach-related variables (frame size (TT length), stem reach, and bar witdh (for a flat bar)). This is commonplace among MTB riders, where the trend is for wider and wider bars than just a few years ago.

You've received good advice. Have her ride the bike. If she required more seat setback to get the right balance, then narrower bars will help her maintain the same reach. Your bike shop can help with this.
Old 07-04-13, 12:09 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by NYChaos
Non taken. That is the reason I have posted on forums. I do not know the importance of bike fit theory in real life situations.

Now, I am starting to realize that it's not a big deal, and the only thing I am going to do is make her handlebar smaller, get her a comfy seat, set of good tires and she can enjoy her new ride.

Thanks for the input guys
Somewhere in the above thread, someone mentioned seatpost setback - it's pretty easy to find them with as much as 30-35mm. Depending on what's on there (likely 15-20), you'll easily solve any future setback problem (if it actually occurs) with a $50 seatpost, less on ebay of course.

As for the tires - why not just let her wear out the ones that came on the bike. Like almost everything on a bike, new riders could care less about minutia. They want comfort and shifting and brakes that are trouble free.
Old 07-04-13, 10:53 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by NYChaos
After adjusting seat height at home , I tried adjusting fore-aft position, but even after moving he seat all the way back, she still needed to move an inch back to achieve proper Knee over pedal position.

This seems like a typical problem with female buying a male bike. Reach is long enough, seat position is off or seat position is good, and reach is too long.

I went back to the store next day asking the owner to install seat post with a little offset, to achieve proper knee over pedal position.

The guy (who actually seemed pretty nice and knowledgeable) told me that I am trying to be a perfectionist, and I need to let her enjoy the bike the way it is now. According to him proper knee position only matters that much in road biking world.

I think he is full of crap, because if she decides to get clipless shoes later, she will be screwed.

I know a theory of proper bike fitting, but do not posses a lot of experience, so I do not know for sure if I am right.

Good fit, including knee position, is important to comfort and injury prevention in any cycling, but you need to realize that Knee Over Pedal (aka KOPS) is at best a guideline for a starting position, not an absolute. Adjust the fit the best you can with the current setup and have her ride the bike for a while. Carefully note any discomfort including when and where it happens. Then tune the adjustments. To start replacing parts before she has even found out if the bike is uncomfortable is a mistake. Your LBS should be willing to allow you 30 days or so for fit adjustments. If she is a new rider, you will likely find that her preferred fit will actually change as her cycling flexibility and fitness improve. If she goes later goes clipless and finds the fit isn't working, she is no more "screwed" than she is now, you may need to make some changes as her riding develops.

I have raised my saddle and moved it forward a couple of cm over the years and lowered my handlebars by about the same amount. I've got a new-to-me bike where I'm questioning stem length, but the geometry is different than the much older road bike it is replacing, so I'm riding it as is for now to see if I adapt. So far I am am not sure if the fit is just different or if it is truly going to require modification.

BTW, publicly announcing your suspicion that your LBS is trying to "screw you over" just because their advice isn't what you wanted to hear, is bad form. "Proper" fit is somewhat subjective and an art as much as a science.

Last edited by Myosmith; 07-04-13 at 11:06 AM.