Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Our new Landshark Tandem!

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Our new Landshark Tandem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-18, 11:15 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcycl
Hey Rickyb. That is tough to hear as I started using their saddles the very first year they were started offering them for sale to the public. But, I know they have grown and went thru normal growing pains in the process. I've never had any issues with any of the saddles that they didn't address fully and I've sent back maybe 3 out of 8 or 9 saddles since the early 2000's. As far as comfort, there is nothing else like them. Sorry you had such a terrible experience with them.
FWIW We have used these saddle on out tandems for about 10 years and have worn out a number of them. Biggest complaint is noise especially on my captains saddles ( must be my weight), however not all of them do it. A few years ago they did a kickstarter campaign to develop a carbon version. They took way longer to produce them then expected. I had funded two of them and they finally came but sat on the bench for over a year as they just looked uncomfortable. I recently installed one for me(captain) and I am impressed with the comfort and it is light and dead silent. I don't have a huge number of miles on it yet but no break in, just felt good from the get go. Time will tell but I think it is a winner.
Old 05-18-18, 11:18 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
That is a thing of beauty! Congratulations on the beautiful new ride.
Old 05-18-18, 11:39 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well, I'm a a bit surprised on the weight after putting it on the scale. I was originally hoping for closer to 29 or 30 lbs. But, we saved $900 by going with the DaVinci cranks over the FSA Carbon cranks which may have saved us 1/3 to 1/2 lbs. And, my saddle is a little over 1lbs as well. Compared to the Cannondale it replaced, I'm saving about 6lbs total. But, other than the weight, everything else is very nice!

This weight includes pedals, computer mount, bell, and captain bar-end mirror. But, no seat pack, computer, or water bottles.
After seeing your weight posted I decided to go weigh our Calfee and it weights 34.5 lbs. all up ready to ride. (no water bottle or spares bag but everything else including pedals, computer mounts ,deep dish Zipp 404 wheels 28 mm tires) Our bike does have couplers so that adds about 2 lbs and we have hydraulic brakes as well so your bike is very light as equipped. Enjoy the great ride
Old 05-30-18, 06:15 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Beautiful! To save additional weight if you are a weight weenie:

-rim brakes (not an option with your frame it seems)
-fixed stoker stem (da Vinci Ti, don’t recall exact weight)
-lightweight captain stem (80g Extralights)
-lighter handlebars? (200g Zipp SL)
-lighter seatpost a (180g each, KCNC)
-lighter saddles (mine’s 90g padded)

our old alloy Trek tandem is just over 30lbs with lightweight components.
Old 05-30-18, 07:12 PM
Bad1

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Also could probably cut that steerer tube down to save some weight , it looks so out of place.

Last edited by Bad1; 05-30-18 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Verbiage repeated
Old 05-31-18, 10:13 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams

Wow, that's a great weight for a older Trek tandem!! Great job on saving weight. Impressive for sure! We aren't weight weenies per se .... just read and noted all the weights from other folks who picked up the carbon tandems and mine definitely seems on the heavier side compared to most.
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 05-31-18, 10:14 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad1
Also could probably cut that steerer tube down to save some weight , it looks so out of place.
I, too, wondered about that ...not sure why they left it that long and sticking up quite so far.
92' Trek 5200
Old 05-31-18, 10:14 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by akexpress
After seeing your weight posted I decided to go weigh our Calfee and it weights 34.5 lbs. all up ready to ride. (no water bottle or spares bag but everything else including pedals, computer mounts ,deep dish Zipp 404 wheels 28 mm tires) Our bike does have couplers so that adds about 2 lbs and we have hydraulic brakes as well so your bike is very light as equipped. Enjoy the great ride
Thanks AKAExpress! Yes, we are riding and enjoying regardless.
92' Trek 5200
Old 05-31-18, 10:16 AM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW We have used these saddle on out tandems for about 10 years and have worn out a number of them. Biggest complaint is noise especially on my captains saddles ( must be my weight), however not all of them do it. A few years ago they did a kickstarter campaign to develop a carbon version. They took way longer to produce them then expected. I had funded two of them and they finally came but sat on the bench for over a year as they just looked uncomfortable. I recently installed one for me(captain) and I am impressed with the comfort and it is light and dead silent. I don't have a huge number of miles on it yet but no break in, just felt good from the get go. Time will tell but I think it is a winner.
I've been eyeing the Selle Anatomica Carbon saddle also. Hard to pull the trigger for that amount of $$ on a saddle that may not work out. Their regular saddles are SO comfy ... and at a 1/2 lbs weight gain, for me it is worth it overall. I may save 1/4lbs on their newer hollow frame saddle at some point on the tandem.
92' Trek 5200
Old 05-31-18, 12:10 PM
Bad1

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I, too, wondered about that ...not sure why they left it that long and sticking up quite so far.
If that's the case that the bike was deliver to you with that long steer tube, what they have done is giving you the opportunity to set the stem height which works for you. You can play around with moving the shims to different stem heights to see what is optimal for you. Local bike shop can cut the stem easily.
Old 05-31-18, 12:19 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad1

If that's the case that the bike was deliver to you with that long steer tube, what they have done is giving you the opportunity to set the stem height which works for you. You can play around with moving the shims to different stem heights to see what is optimal for you. Local bike shop can cut the stem easily.
Ahhh, okay. Thanks Brad1!
92' Trek 5200
Old 06-02-18, 04:28 PM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams

I curious as to the weight savings with rim brakes. Our new Carrera has disks and they seem really heavy., especially the rotating weight of the large rotors.
Old 06-02-18, 05:54 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldrush
I curious as to the weight savings with rim brakes. Our new Carrera has disks and they seem really heavy., especially the rotating weight of the large rotors.
I have no idea how much heavier disc brakes are, but I wouldn't (and didn't, when buying our tandem) care. Disc brakes are far better, and when you're talking about stopping something with two full-sized human beings on it, when lives may depend on the brakes working, I wanted disc brakes. If I was worried about a pound or two on a system that weighs upwards of 360 pounds, I'd eat less chocolate.

And don't worry so much about the "rotating weight of the large rotors." Rotating mass that's close to the center of the wheel isn't a significant concern.

YMMV

Last edited by 124Spider; 06-02-18 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-02-18, 06:50 PM
Goldrush

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider
I have no idea how much heavier disc brakes are, but I wouldn't (and didn't, when buying our tandem) care. Disc brakes are far better, and when you're talking about stopping something with two full-sized human beings on it, when lives may depend on the brakes working, I wanted disc brakes. If I was worried about a pound or two on a system that weighs upwards of 360 pounds, I'd eat less chocolate.

And don't worry so much about the "rotating weight of the large rotors." Rotating mass that's close to the center of the wheel isn't a significant concern.

YMMV
I'm not interested in debating the stopping power of brake types. The original post concerns component weight .
Old 06-02-18, 06:57 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not interested in debating the stopping power of brake types. The original post concerns component weight .
My bad; I thought I was making a useful suggestion, not starting a debate. I'll try very hard not to respond to your posts anymore.
Old 06-02-18, 07:35 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
i did some preliminary research a couple years ago and the difference is approximately 500g, give or take 200g depending on disc rotor size, frame/fork beefiness, shifter and caliper trim levels. Of course you can likely minimize the weight by spending $$$ but even at the top trim levels (DA, Red) I would say there’s a 300g difference, which is negligible but not so much on the wallet!

plus disc rotor rotating weight is also minimal due to its center of mass being at the center of the rotation.
Old 06-03-18, 12:17 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Well, I'm a a bit surprised on the weight after putting it on the scale. I was originally hoping for closer to 29 or 30 lbs. But, we saved $900 by going with the DaVinci cranks over the FSA Carbon cranks which may have saved us 1/3 to 1/2 lbs. And, my saddle is a little over 1lbs as well. Compared to the Cannondale it replaced, I'm saving about 6lbs total. But, other than the weight, everything else is very nice! This weight includes pedals, computer mount, bell, and captain bar-end mirror. But, no seat pack, computer, or water bottles.
After hearing the overview of that amazing paint job I am not at all surprised at the weight. But at least there are two of you pushing it.
Old 06-03-18, 12:43 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider

YMMV
Mechanical disc brakes absolutely have their pluses, and can take lots of sustained punishment without blowing your tires off the rim, but pound for pound (and value for the dollar) a good set of canti's or v-brakes with straight rims eat their lunch for sheer haul you down from speed. To do better you need hydraulic discs, and who am I to say that hydraulic discs aren't worth the $$$. But I can observe that all that performance is wasted on the average team because they still insist on using 28mm clinchers. Cars and motorcycles humiliate bicycles in stopping distance, not because they have sophisticated brakes, but because they have tires that are 6" wide, not 0.75" wide!!
Old 07-01-18, 04:32 PM
djwang

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think only to give a bit more leeway in adjusting handlebar height.

By the way, you are the reason that we're still waiting for ours

Beautiful bike.
Old 07-01-18, 04:57 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djwang
I think only to give a bit more leeway in adjusting handlebar height.

By the way, you are the reason that we're still waiting for ours

Beautiful bike.
John is building your frame as well? If so, include a photo of it when he provides one!
Old 07-24-18, 08:14 AM
colotandem

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also have one of those carbon saddles from Selle Anatomica via that Kickstarter campaign. I could never get myself to install it.

If anyone wants it, it probably needs a new home (and to be ridden).