Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Food for thought - Vegan/Vegetarian/Healthy Options

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Food for thought - Vegan/Vegetarian/Healthy Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 02:34 AM
Catsharp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Why does the fact that vegetarians exist cause some people to froth at the mouth?
I know, this always cracks me up. I'm pretty much an omnivore but I do eat much better on the weekends when I have time to plan, prepare and cook. I would LOVE to eat as a vegetarian, but each time I try, I tend to relapse. It seems to take even more planning and prep (not complaining here, just observing) and I never seem to feel satisfied with what I eat. That could be from conditioning to feel full and satiated.
Old 01-07-19, 03:51 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Why does the fact that vegetarians exist cause some people to froth at the mouth?
Because about 9 times out of 10 a vegan sitting across the lunch or dinner table will preach to you about how to eat.
It rarely happens the other way around though.
Shut up and eat your tofu.
Old 01-07-19, 04:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I don't know, perhaps the same phenomenon that leads vegan proponent to proclaim that all of mankind worship at the alter of veganism as the savior of humanity? As a counterpoint to this mentality, I consider my arguments to be more informative that confrontational.
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Because about 9 times out of 10 a vegan sitting across the lunch or dinner table will preach to you about how to eat.
In a stunning abandonment of both logic and morality, you two decided that the best thing to do about stuff you really didn't like ... was to do the same. Bravo.
Yeah, well, you two just gave the lie to that notion.

And @KraneXL apparently cannot tell a vegan from a vegetarian from someone who doesn't eat meat in every single meal.

You two guys ... Not exactly shining brightly as the future hopes for humanity here.

It doesn't matter what you eat ... but it matters how you act. ... Think about that, maybe.
Old 01-07-19, 10:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I've been avoiding refined carbs and packaged food generally for the past two months. My BP (which I've struggled with for years) has gone from a consistent 145/95 to 125/80. My ND says the reduction in refined carbs may have reduced inflammation causing a lower BP.
Old 01-07-19, 10:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't know, perhaps the same phenomenon that leads vegan proponent to proclaim that all of mankind worship at the alter of veganism as the savior of humanity? As a counterpoint to this mentality, I consider my arguments to be more informative that confrontational.
They come off as purely confrontational. This is a thread where somebody is asking for guidance about eating a plant based diet, and your post sure has the appearance of needing to pee in somebody's Cheerios (which are vegetarian).
Old 01-07-19, 10:57 AM
Seattle Forrest

​​​​​​Does the last 1 vegan wear a green super hero costume with a big V on her chest or something? You pulled those numbers out of your ass, and they smell.

Most vegetarians and vegans I know (probably more of them in Seattle than Kansas) don't talk about their diets unless asked. You wouldn't know they're plant people. But when some people find out, they get real obnoxious about it like they feel threatened by someone else's diet. This isn't most people, it's just this subset of meat lovers who are really insecure.

That's pretty weird.
Old 01-07-19, 10:58 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Maelochs
In a stunning abandonment of both logic and morality, you two decided that the best thing to do about stuff you really didn't like ... was to do the same. Bravo.
Yeah, well, you two just gave the lie to that notion.

And @KraneXL apparently cannot tell a vegan from a vegetarian from someone who doesn't eat meat in every single meal.

You two guys ... Not exactly shining brightly as the future hopes for humanity here.

It doesn't matter what you eat ... but it matters how you act. ... Think about that, maybe.
Old 01-07-19, 11:05 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Anyway, to the OP's question. There are plenty of good videos out there on vegan diets for cyclists or busy people etc. I personally follow this guy on youtube because he's entertaining and a strong rider-

I'm an omnivore and don't follow his diet, but he also doesn't force it down your throat, he just made a lifestyle choice for himself and seems to be healthier as a result.
Old 01-07-19, 11:09 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
May I suggest to the OP that he invest in a slow cooker? There are a gazillion recipes out there for healthy and nutritious slow cooker meals with or without meat, and you can eat off that for days; or freeze it in portions that just need a quick nuking. Also, beans are nature's most perfect food for humans. And who couldn't use a jet powered assist?
Old 01-07-19, 11:19 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Not vegetarian but hard boiled eggs work well for on-the-go eating.

Also almonds, fruit, dried fruit.

If you're wanting to eat better, away from prepackaged food is a better direction to go than toward.
Old 01-07-19, 12:21 PM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thank you for all (ok not all) the replies. I won't respond to individual posts but I would like to clarify a few things.

1- I'm a life long athlete I know how to eat well. And if given the time to prep and sit down to have a proper meal I very much like healthy options
2- I really wanted advice on to-go kind of options. Things that can be bought in most places while on a ride. I'm trying to break the cycle of eating crap while on the go. I have the dad-to-day part figured out. It's just a matter of being diligent and stick with the plan.
3- I asked for vegan/vegatarian options so I can add them to my options. I do not intend to be a vegan/Vegetarian full time
4- I have no ethical quals eating animal meat or products. But I don't judge.and I don't want to be judged.
5- I do believe there are benefits and both of my MEDICAL DOCTORS agree that it would be wise to cut down on animal products. At least in my circumstances which I don't need to discuss in a public forum.

6- and for the ones that threw shots at my job situation.. well how can you pretend to know what my life and circumstances are? If you don't have anything positive to say.. then stay quiet. That's what My grandma taught me.

Thanks again for the ones who genuinely seem to be willing to help.

Lets keeping riding.

BTW 9 pounds down since XMAS !!!
Old 01-07-19, 12:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
What a ridiculous blanket statement.
Heh. He should take that blanket statement to Asia and try to "pedal" it to the countless millions of healthy vegetarians there. India would be a good place to start his journey.
Old 01-07-19, 12:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle forrest
​​​​​​does the last 1 vegan wear a green super hero costume with a big v on her chest or something? You pulled those numbers out of your ass, and they smell.

Most vegetarians and vegans i know (probably more of them in seattle than kansas) don't talk about their diets unless asked. You wouldn't know they're plant people. But when some people find out, they get real obnoxious about it like they feel threatened by someone else's diet. This isn't most people, it's just this subset of meat lovers who are really insecure.

That's pretty weird.
+1.
Old 01-07-19, 03:24 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick

Study after study shows plant based diets to be more healthy for us, while also reducing the risks of the most common diseases modern societies suffer from. And there's no careful counting of nutrients required. Just a wide variety of healthy unprocessed plant based foods.
This isn't really true. Studies show that plant based diets are healthier than what a typical person eats, but that's somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison since one set of people are following a specific diet plan while the other isn't. When a person starts paying attention to what they eat, regardless of whether that diet is vegan, Atkins, paleo, DASH, the Zone, Weight Watchers or whatever else, their health tends to improve. The simple act of being mindful of what you eat tends to result in a massive reduction of junk/useless food consumed. Many non-vegan foods are considered healthy by the vast majority of nutrition scientists. The two most recommended diets for long term health: the Mediterranean diet and the DASH diet aren't vegetarian.
Old 01-07-19, 05:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Another resource: The Vegetarian Cycling and Athletic Club, formed in 1888, making it one of the oldest cycling organizations on the planet:

https://vegetariancac.org/
Old 01-07-19, 05:36 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
​​​​​​Does the last 1 vegan wear a green super hero costume with a big V on her chest or something? You pulled those numbers out of your ass, and they smell.

Most vegetarians and vegans I know (probably more of them in Seattle than Kansas) don't talk about their diets unless asked. You wouldn't know they're plant people. But when some people find out, they get real obnoxious about it like they feel threatened by someone else's diet. This isn't most people, it's just this subset of meat lovers who are really insecure.

That's pretty weird.
Agreed 100%

My middle daughter has been a vegan for nearly 16 years. She never preached or hectored anyone. She does it for health and ethical reasons. She is a cross-country runner and horse rider. She packs more energy in her body than most.

For health and ethical reasons I am moving to a plant based diet. This past year our Thanksgiving dinner was, with some small accomodations for non-vegan family members, a vegan feast. My daughter looked around and seeing all the vegan dishes just said, “After 16 years you all get it.”

There was no lecturing or proselytizing, just sharing tasty, healthy foods.

I’ve never had a vegan lecturing me, OTOH there have been plenty of meat eaters criticizing and mocking my food choices.

Old 01-07-19, 06:30 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
It is a big leap from not having enough time to eat properly, to then go Vegan.
It is that much more limiting in your options.
If I were you I would go for establishing a healthy "regular" diet and once that is established then think about moving on to Vegan if you still want to.
^These are my thoughts as well. More effort will have to be made then just switching from crap processed food to vegan offerings.
Old 01-09-19, 06:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I don't know, perhaps the same phenomenon that leads vegan proponent to proclaim that all of mankind worship at the alter of veganism as the savior of humanity? As a counterpoint to this mentality, I consider my arguments to be more informative than confrontational.
Just putting it out there that almost everywhere you look there is promotion of carnism. People eating meat all over and worshiping at the alter of dead animals and their products. Because exploitation of animals in considered the norm anyone trying to stick up for animals must be wrong and is "shoving it down our throats" when if you look around you will see promotion of animal exploitation is everywhere all the time.

I am not here to say that all plant based diets are healthy but one can eat a very healthy plant based diet. If you don't have a lot of time in the morning consider a smoothie with frozen fruits (banana is always a good one to add) and kale, add some almond, soy, coconut, hazelnut, rice, cashew, hemp, flax or whatever your favorite non-dairy milk is or water and some nuts and you will have good energy to start off the day and they only take a few minutes to blend and if you have a reusable cup with a reusable straw you can take it with you. You can also do something like instant oatmeal if you like it hot.
This is my favorite brand/flavor:
https://www.naturespath.com/en-us/pr...-flax-oatmeal/
and you can make it healthier by adding fresh fruit.
If you are truly in a rush Clif and ProBar make some excellent bars for on the go or you can grab something like a banana or apple or something like that. Quick and easy.
Old 01-09-19, 07:24 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
May I suggest to the OP that he invest in a slow cooker? There are a gazillion recipes out there for healthy and nutritious slow cooker meals with or without meat, and you can eat off that for days; or freeze it in portions that just need a quick nuking. Also, beans are nature's most perfect food for humans. And who couldn't use a jet powered assist?
I'm not vegetarian, much less vegan, but I do a lot of big batches of vegetarian meals to save for the week. Veggie chili or red beans and brown rice. Tastes great, healthy, and much less fear of them when I leave them in the fridge too long with no meat in there
Old 01-09-19, 09:36 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
I need to make a major change in lifestyle. Due to a stressful job with long days my eating habits are all over the place. I leave the house at 6am without breakfast and usually stop for a coffee (can't really eat right when I wake up or in a hurry) and get home at 6:30ish to 7pm. At some point during the day I might have a few minutes to eat something and due to convenience it's usually fastfood/unhealthy options.
I started packing better choices so I'm not tempted to eat crap at work but during my weekend rides I usually like to treat myself and stop for some food and it was usually crap to. Maybe a donut, a burger if it's a leisure ride with time to relax or an Ice cream.

I'm trying to adopt a mostly vegeratian/ vegan diet and I'm curios as to what prepackaged/commercially available options people out there are going for during their rides.
Vegans are mentally unstable people whom one should avoid associating with. I have learned this the hard way from dating vegans. Don't become a soy boy. Human beings are omnivores by nature, and your body will not work as well if you eat an unnatural diet. A natural diet includes fruits, vegetables, meat, and fish. Plants are no less alive than any other living thing, and I feel no more guilt about eating meat than a lion would feel if one ate me.

I was once in the same situation you were in. I solved it by riding more. I worked 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week. I lost energy, gained weight, and felt unwell. I started riding on my days off, a little here and there, then increased my mileage as I got used to riding again. I then got up early every morning to ride for an hour before work. In a rather short time, I felt better, slept better, and lost weight.

Then I began commuting to and from work, 22 miles each way. Surprisingly, it didn't take much more time to ride than it did to drive, I saved money on gas, and used my commuting time to improve my health. The good thing about cycling is that it allows me to stay healthy without having to change my diet. If I ride a lot, I can eat as much I want of anything I want.

I'm over 50 now, but my blood pressure is the same as it was when I was 17, I am not overweight, and cycling gives me the energy I need to run a business and keep up with my 4-year-old daughter. I can enjoy eating what I want without feeling guilty.
Old 01-10-19, 02:59 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
While I don't think a vegan/vegetarian diet is inherently more healthy than a diet that includes meat, I don't think it is automatically unhealthy either. It takes some effort to ensure that the follower gets the appropriate nutrients (and, to a degree, this is true of all diets), but that mindfulness can be a good thing.
This is true for meat eaters and vegans alike. The unspoken assumption that meat eaters are somehow inherently "safe" is false as deficiencies are common in all Americans. But yeah,if you are strict vegan you should definitely supplement with B12.

https://www.cdc.gov/nutritionreport/...508_032912.pdf
Old 01-10-19, 04:58 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

Dude .. Did that ever happen to you? Ppl always claim vegans are really pushy, but I have never had anyone preach to me about broccoli or tofu. If anything its the other way around. If anyone dare to mention they eat plant based, vegan, what ever, someone will surely lecture about protein and "carbs".
Old 01-10-19, 09:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
First, only in modern times and with a sufficient development of nutrition science can your vegetarian diet sustain you. Second, your ancestors weren't vegetarians. If they had been, your lineage would not have survived to this point.
Jainism requires all followers to not eat meat. Millions of followers and for thousands of years. That doesnt even get to Buddhism and Hinduism and all the followers of those religions who are also generational vegetarians.

Third, if mankind had developed as vegetarian we would not have had the capacity and mechanisms to digest and absorb animal products.
mankind didnt develp as a vegetarian or as a carnivore. humans can eat both. And as long as the required vitamins, minerals, and nutrients are all fulfilled, our bodies dont inherently crave a certain style of eating.

Fourth, the most basic -- and life sustaining -- of all macronutrients required in our daily diets are fats and proteins. Neither of which are naturally occurring in abundance and easily supplied in sufficient quantities through plant matter.
Well this is simply false. How someone could live on this planet to adulthood and think fats and proteins arent naturally occurring in abundance and easily supplied in suffficient quantity is beyond me.
Peanut butter, soy beans, black eyed peas, lima beans, etc etc etc all have plenty of protein and fat for pro athletes so its also plenty for any weekend warrior office worker.

However, both are in abundance, complete, and easily satisfied through the consumption of basic animal products. If science and reason are ridiculous then I stand guilty as charged.
There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, though if a cat were skinned, i vegans wouldnt really be happy. A strictly plant based diet can provide more than enough fat and protein.

I am not a vegetarian. I am really not even 'meat light'. I like the idea, but lack the discipline. We have vegetarian dinners a couple times a week and thats the extent. I mention this so you dont think I am with 'them' or whatever.
Try to not claim science when making scientifically incorrect comments.
Old 01-10-19, 09:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
This isn't really true. Studies show that plant based diets are healthier than what a typical person eats, but that's somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison since one set of people are following a specific diet plan while the other isn't.
This is funny because I was just talking with my kids about the word 'diet' this past weekend. It was tough for them to conceptually see the same word meaning an overall way to eat for life and also a temporary restrictive eating regimen.
It seems to often be mixed up by adults too.

There is no apples to oranges here.

- the vegetarian follows a dietary plan of plant based food.
- the 'typical person' follows a dietary plan of...whatever. That is their dietary plan. If they have coffee and toast in the mornings, get fast food each lunch, and have homecooked dinners each evening- thats their dietary plan.

With that said, just because someone is a vegetarian doesnt mean they necessarily eat healthy. Sugar is vegetarian and have a vegetarian friend who eats as unhealthy as anyone I know.
Of course its all about the specific dietary plan.
I would say that the typical US vegetarian's diet is healthier than the typical US adult's diet. That isnt comparing apples to oranges.
Old 01-10-19, 09:40 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Jainism requires all followers to not eat meat. Millions of followers and for thousands of years. That doesnt even get to Buddhism and Hinduism and all the followers of those religions who are also generational vegetarians.

mankind didnt develp as a vegetarian or as a carnivore. humans can eat both. And as long as the required vitamins, minerals, and nutrients are all fulfilled, our bodies dont inherently crave a certain style of eating.

Well this is simply false. How someone could live on this planet to adulthood and think fats and proteins arent naturally occurring in abundance and easily supplied in suffficient quantity is beyond me.
Peanut butter, soy beans, black eyed peas, lima beans, etc etc etc all have plenty of protein and fat for pro athletes so its also plenty for any weekend warrior office worker.

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, though if a cat were skinned, i vegans wouldnt really be happy. A strictly plant based diet can provide more than enough fat and protein.

I am not a vegetarian. I am really not even 'meat light'. I like the idea, but lack the discipline. We have vegetarian dinners a couple times a week and thats the extent. I mention this so you dont think I am with 'them' or whatever.
Try to not claim science when making scientifically incorrect comments.
In general it seems as though KraneXL's comments are referring to ancient times when humans were hunter/gatherers. Then, due to food insecurity and a lack of variety, it would have been far harder to be vegetarian and consume sufficient calories. The general consensus is that eating meat is what allowed our brains to grow as large, and caloricaly expensive, as they are.

Today is, obviously, is a different story. As you say, we have lots of variety available, and thus have more dietary options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.