Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ghost Bike Removed.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ghost Bike Removed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 11:35 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts

Friend pointed out a memorial stone on a recent ride. Good replacement for those retired ghost bikes.
Old 01-13-19, 11:54 AM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
6 years? Time to move on, it was there more than long enough.
Old 01-13-19, 12:31 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Forgot about this....

" Matt's story is one that should never have been written. On a beautiful July evening in 2009, Matt was cycling on the Wantagh State Bike Path. He could ride 20, 25 miles at a clip, and many times even longer. However, another bike, a Harley Davidson, being ridden by a drunk 44 year-old, had just left Jones Beach. The Harley biker headed north on the Wantagh State Parkway at a speed estimated between 85-100 mph and struck a beautiful 19 year old son, brother, uncle, cousin, and friend. Matt was airlifted to NUMC, where he was pronounced dead. Our lives were ruptured by a total stranger. Matt never would come home again. "

This statue is at the head of a MUP at Cedar Creek Park and runs 14 miles to Jones Beach State Park and continues to Tobay Beach.

Old 01-13-19, 12:40 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I can't stand those ghost bikes and other memorials, they're ridiculous. I feel honestly bad for the people that died, but having these goofy home-made memorials is not the answer, imo. As I always tell my wife, if I get killed while out riding, do NOT put up a ghost bike up in my name.

An interesting story about these memorials: A few years ago we were driving down a highway, and in the middle was a small island of grass. And there, with cars passing on both sides at freeway speeds, was a woman installing a home-made memorial. Next to her was her 1 or 2 y/o little girl walking around on the grass with cars flying by within inches of her, while the (oblivious) mom carefully set up the flowers and cards. There could easily have been the need for a 2nd memorial that day..
There is a mangled motorcycle on a trailer with a cross in the yard of a guy a few blocks away that memorializes his brother, but it's in his front yard.
Old 01-13-19, 01:25 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
As an alternative, it would be nice if family and friends were allowed to sponsor that stretch of road and keep it clean. Then be allowed to put a sign under the street sign saying its maintained in someone's memory.
^Now there's a great idea to memorialize someone!
Old 01-13-19, 02:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Someone is mourning.

It's respect.

At least for a little while.
Six years?!
Old 01-13-19, 04:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And if you're a child growing up in a city covered in white bikes from accidents from decades ago, are you ever going to want to ride a bike? Besides, if the message is aimed at drivers, a locked up bike is a pretty crummy medium.

​​​​​It's lousy messaging, conveys no information about what actually happened and when, imposes itself on people who likely have nothing to do with the event, and frankly is just giving some people more reasons to hate bikes.
American kids are immersed in a death culture, steeped like bitter tea. They're growing up in an era when we accept murders of school children by the dozens as acceptable losses in pursuit of protecting a niche freedom. They play video games and watch cartoons that emphasize mindless slaughter.

I hardly think they'll be deterred from riding a bike by a few ghost bike memorials.

And people who hate bikes and cyclists don't hate us over ghost bikes. They hate us because we inconvenience them for a moment once in awhile. Or because they're taught to hate anything that differs from their insular values.
Old 01-13-19, 05:23 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Six years?!
I don't know. Does one ever really get over death?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 01-13-19, 05:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Only when you're gone.
Old 01-13-19, 07:05 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
We've got a ghost bike Mound here in New Orleans,,,,,,, Who Dat....
Old 01-13-19, 07:33 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My dad died 38 years ago at age 53. I'm over his death, but still miss him especially since i'm now a grandfather. Something he never lived long enough to experience.
Old 01-14-19, 05:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by canklecat
American kids are immersed in a death culture, steeped like bitter tea. They're growing up in an era when we accept murders of school children by the dozens as acceptable losses in pursuit of protecting a niche freedom. They play video games and watch cartoons that emphasize mindless slaughter.

I hardly think they'll be deterred from riding a bike by a few ghost bike memorials.

And people who hate bikes and cyclists don't hate us over ghost bikes. They hate us because we inconvenience them for a moment once in awhile. Or because they're taught to hate anything that differs from their insular values.
I guarantee you that if you insist on keeping one of these permanently in front of someone's home, they are not going to get warm fuzzy feelings towards bicyclists.

As far as the amateur child psychology, I don't buy it. Kids are going to understand "a bicyclist was killed here, here and here", without really grasping that the events may have occurred decades apart.

Why leave this for just bicyclists? We could come up with ugly monuments for everyone who dies in public. At least that would give some sense of the relative dangerousness of bicycling.
Old 01-14-19, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Old 01-14-19, 06:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You're the one who said " at least for a little while." So is that more than 6 years?

The question isn't whether people should stop mourning, it's how long they can impose symbols of their mourning on everyone else.

I'm not sure what "get over" means in this context, but yes we have to keep on living knowing death has happened or will happen to everyone we love eventually. It's even going to happen to us. It's called the "human condition" .

Let's not pretend that the people who put these bikes up are the only people who have survived a tragic loss.
Old 01-14-19, 06:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz

Well, we finally found a thread where you won't be tempted to post a picture of your bike!
Old 01-14-19, 06:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I never really understood why we Americans love to memorialize people who have died in traffic accidents right at the scene where they died instead of memorializing their lives. I'd rather be remembered for any benefit I've given to society rather than how I died. Why is it we're so focused on the death of people rather than remembering them in life?
Old 01-14-19, 06:35 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I never really understood why we Americans love to memorialize people who have died in traffic accidents right at the scene where they died instead of memorializing their lives. I'd rather be remembered for any benefit I've given to society rather than how I died. Why is it we're so focused on the death of people rather than remembering them in life?
+1
When I first saw one many years ago, I was a bit puzzled. Nine times out of ten it seems they marked the spot where 'someone' made a mistake. Not knowing who, or what the mistake was, the purpose seemed odd to me.
Old 01-14-19, 08:20 AM
indyfabz

I never really understood why we Americans love to memorialize people who have died in traffic accidents right at the scene where they died instead of memorializing their lives.
Ever ridden in Montana? Countless white metal crosses mounted to rebar at fatal accident scenes. One for each death in an accident. (I saw one marker with 5 crosses.) They are not in memoriam of the victims but rather to remind motorists to drive carefully.
Old 01-14-19, 08:34 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingPiggy
I do not think the memorial(ghost bike) has to be there indefinitely. If it was the city or appropriate authority(if it was on private property, that mean that property owner) who had removed it, I'd not have bothered to post or given thought to share it. I do have problem with a person who remove it with no authority without asking.
One of the reasons I love cycling is camaraderie. Now I can not say that I am not disappointed. I understand and agree that there can be other forms of remembrance. But Like I said... least you can do is asking before removing it. I do blame my poor english for any miscommunication. For that, I am sorry.
It was there for six years, and the person who took it down had just as much right legal right to do so as the person who put it there in the first place. As to reading the articles, the first one mentioned the homeowner originally asked the family if there was something a bit more memorial-like they could do instead, and the family refused.

Ever ridden in Montana? Countless white metal crosses mounted to rebar at fatal accident scenes. One for each death in an accident. (I saw one marker with 5 crosses.) They are not in memoriam of the victims but rather to remind motorists to drive carefully.
I could be wrong, but wasn't that an official government initiative, not just random folks doing it on their own?

Originally Posted by oldnslow2
As an alternative, it would be nice if family and friends were allowed to sponsor that stretch of road and keep it clean. Then be allowed to put a sign under the street sign saying its maintained in someone's memory.
I do see those every now and again, I really like that idea.
Old 01-14-19, 08:41 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I could be wrong, but wasn't that an official government initiative, not just random folks doing it on their own?
They are put up by the American Legion.
Old 01-14-19, 08:47 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
They are put up by the American Legion.
Ah ok, run by the Legion but supported by the Governors office, State Police, and highway folks, a government-supported initiative: https://www.falloncountyextra.com/20...s-for-decades/

Something like that I have a lot less of a problem with, because there are policies and procedures on when they are setup, removed, and presumably someone upkeeping them, and even if not law they have at least the tacit approval of the relevant authorities. The ghost bikes scream far more of a free for all to me.
Old 01-14-19, 09:12 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I think this ghost bike thing has been a colossal mistake, helping to make bicycling look more dangerous than it is. I can't think of another instance where memorials are commonly another of the type of vehicle the person was using when they were killed.
There are plenty of roadside crosses and similar memorials for those killed in car accidents, bikes aren't the only one.

But, you do make a good point about the double edged sword of making them all perpetual. We'd run out of places to be if we memorialized in perpetuity every spot that anyone died on.

I'm not sure that the creators of the memorial don't memorialize the deceased in other ways also. I've never seen a ghost bike personally, but a number of roadside crosses for car accidents and have always taken it as a reminder to be careful and watch for the unexpected.
Old 01-14-19, 09:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Ah ok, run by the Legion but supported by the Governors office, State Police, and highway folks, a government-supported initiative: https://www.falloncountyextra.com/20...s-for-decades/

Something like that I have a lot less of a problem with, because there are policies and procedures on when they are setup, removed, and presumably someone upkeeping them, and even if not law they have at least the tacit approval of the relevant authorities. The ghost bikes scream far more of a free for all to me.

That link you put up is really interesting--"Furthermore, when a highway is reconstructed to correct what may have been the cause of a fatality, all markers are removed. "

Generally, I see these markers on more rural road and on the side of big highways. Ghost bikes seem to be a largely urban street phenomenon, which makes sense given that's where most people ride regularly and that's where the bulk of accidents will happen. The crosses are less obtrusive, and in places where there aren't going to be a lot of people having to stare at them every time they leave their home. In addition, it's a lot more obvious to a passing driver what the crosses are. To a passing motorist, a ghost bike is just a white bike.
Old 01-14-19, 09:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think this ghost bike thing has been a colossal mistake, helping to make bicycling look more dangerous than it is. I can't think of another instance where memorials are commonly another of the type of vehicle the person was using when they were killed..
Originally Posted by Caliper
There are plenty of roadside crosses and similar memorials for those killed in car accidents, bikes aren't the only one.
You missed the "another of the type of vehicle" part. Roadside crosses are not "ghost cars". It may be a subtle point, but I think putting the bike up indicates that the bike is the instrument of death.
Old 01-14-19, 09:31 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
You missed the "another of the type of vehicle" part. Roadside crosses are not "ghost cars". It may be a subtle point, but I think putting the bike up indicates that the bike is the instrument of death.
No, I saw that, but didn't understand your wording that you were thinking of the memorial itself being another type of vehicle rather than being for another type of vehicle operator. Considering that cars are many times larger and more expensive than bikes, I'm not sure a similar "ghost car" would ever be practical. However, it is typical for High Schools to display a wrecked car in a parking lot now and then as a "don't drink and drive" reminder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.