Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike packaging from Ebay, are you kidding me?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike packaging from Ebay, are you kidding me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 11:49 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
There are ebay seller’s who respect both the bikes, and the buyers.

Old 01-16-19, 05:33 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd keep the bike personally - assuming it's in reasonable shape. Hard to find another. Definitely not a 23" frame, not sure where the seller came to that conclusion.

Reminds me of a DVD player I bought on eBay around 15-20 years ago. It came in a very large box, and was simply placed inside - no padding, nothing. So of course when I opened the box it came out in pieces. This was back when you're only option on eBay was to leave bad feedback if you got hosed. I left bad feedback but was of course out the money, which fortunately wasn't a lot. I've had lot's great experiences on eBay too, of course.
Old 01-17-19, 03:32 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to follow up here, we did come to a partial refund agreement so I'll be keeping it.
Originally Posted by deux jambes
There are ebay seller’s who respect both the bikes, and the buyers.
That's the way to do it! I've had lot's of bikes shipped and thankfully minimal problems so far.

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I'd keep the bike personally - assuming it's in reasonable shape. Hard to find another. Definitely not a 23" frame, not sure where the seller came to that conclusion.
Seller claims they were selling it for their elderly neighbor and know nothing about the bike themselves and the neighbor gave them all the info. I guessed it at 19" when I bid, which is what I was looking for (19 or 20). It measures just smidge over 19" CTT so just what I was looking for. I've got another Cimarron frame (just the frame) coming too. It looked a little more rough, I was planning on doing a strip and repaint (I really like the seafoam colored ones so thinking about painting one to match those) and adding my own selection of components. This one looked good enough to leave all original, both paint and components, but who knows maybe I'll paint it too depending how the other turns out.
Old 01-17-19, 05:56 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have received only on vintage bike from ebay. Seemed well package in a bike box, both after refurbishing, and putting back together, I discovered the fork OLD was 90mm. Straighten, and have ridden 900 miles. KB.
Old 01-17-19, 06:53 PM
Mannym21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sold a Bianchi Oltre to a guy a couple years back. After it's hike from NJ to CA I get contacted that I sent him a damaged bike. I told him that was absolutely not the case and I always make sure to take a picture of the package and box all sealed up. In return I asked for a picture of the box and frame damage. Carbon frame was absolutely destroyed with impact damage in the middle of the seat tube.

​​​​​​ Where the box was damaged didn't necessarily match where the seat tube was damaged, it was actually on the opposite side of the bike. Thankfully my pictures proved my case but most importantly of all I used bikeflights and opted for the extra insurance. Needless to say I offered to have the bike repaired. I flipped the bill which was well over $300 rather than dealing with the hassle of sending the bike back, issuing a refund and now I'm out of money and a bike. Seller quickly took the offer, my suspicion still lingers.

Lesson learned: Use bikeflights and always get the insurance. The cut me a check without anything more than requesting pictures of the damage.
Old 01-17-19, 06:54 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
A familiar story. I've bought about a dozen bikes on Ebay and sold half as many. I've had at least two come in what I considered poor packaging, and only a seriously damaged fender resulting from one of those times.

Of those that I've shipped, I was only brought to my attention by one buyer (who had already got a partial refund from me because I misidentified a major component) that my packaging didn't seem quite top-notch, although he said there was no damage.

The main lesson is to be careful, on both ends - but especially as the seller!

-Gregory
Old 01-17-19, 11:09 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
Seller has to supply you a shipping label for the same box he sent it to you in. The label must cover the entire cost to ship it. If he does not you get your money back and keep the bike. I had this happen to me on a recent ebay deal.
Ed
Old 01-17-19, 11:39 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Bad shipping isn't just an Ebay thing.
Old 01-18-19, 01:29 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by EddyR
Seller has to supply you a shipping label for the same box he sent it to you in. The label must cover the entire cost to ship it. If he does not you get your money back and keep the bike. I had this happen to me on a recent ebay deal.
Ed
This. Take pictures and file a damaged in shipping and not as described claim. Ebay will side with you. Seller will be responsible for refunding all funds, including shipping to you and will also be responsible for return shipping. Seller will be responsible for providing a return label and for pickup. If they fail Ebay will refund all your money and you will get to keep the bike. That is how it works.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 01-19-19, 11:27 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
First I will say that I didn't read all the replies yet, but I deal with Ebay more then any other store/sales place around and used it a lot lately rebuilding my Wheel Horse garden tractor. When every 3rd item out of 5 was damaged, wrong or I just plain never got & this has been getting worse and worse every year. I do not play games with these people or Ebay if a item is not in the condition it is described or comes in damaged or what ever I am not paying one single cent for someone else's mistakes if the item is to be returned period! I will try too work it out with the seller first but that hasn't worked much lately, I then Call Ebay rather then wait for replys online and tell them what's going on and that I refuse to pay for somebody else's screw up and I have yet to pay a dime & 99% of the time I get a refund and the item which I toss anyway. Don't be pushed around by these people cause if you give them an inch they will take a yard.

Glenn
Old 01-20-19, 11:53 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
In my mind, if you get what you didn't want from an Ebay purchase, it just might be, in part, your own darn fault. Ask questions before bidding and, eventually buying. If you don't do this you just might end up getting junk. I have bought many items, and bikes and frame sets, through Ebay and only once did a package arrive damaged. Only once did I not get exactly what I was seeking, when I bid and bought. So...

Have a look at this article, that I published years ago. It just might help some of us do a bit better when we are betting on a decent deal through Ebay - Buying and Selling Bicycles.
Old 01-20-19, 11:59 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
For some reason this thread came to mind when I saw this at the museum of modern art in Stockholm today:

Old 01-20-19, 12:47 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Honestly, how can this be considered to be art..?

I see cow poop on the Jamacian roadways that look more artistic that that damage box.
Old 01-20-19, 02:52 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Honestly, how can this be considered to be art..?
One of life's unanswerable questions.

A more interesting one may be why Jamaican cows are so artistic?