Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Sharing the Road with Cars: Dehumanization

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-23, 05:38 PM
DidntHearU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

dd

Last edited by DidntHearU; 07-02-23 at 04:13 PM.
Likes For DidntHearU:
Old 06-16-23, 08:13 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Link assist:
Dehumanization of cyclists predicts self-reported aggressive behaviour toward them: A pilot study - ScienceDirect
Bicycle helmet wearing is associated with closer overtaking by drivers: A response to Olivier and Walter, 2013 - PubMed (nih.gov)

I ran across this one last week as well, a little more recent research: The effect of safety attire on perceptions of cyclist dehumanisation - ScienceDirect
It was forced choice though, so it feels fairly meaningless to me. If someone has to call one of two images "less human" it seems obvious that they'll pick the one that's more obscured - but I'm less convinced that there are real-world implications.

On the other hand, there's definitely something to what I've heard called the 'removal' effect. If I bump into someone gently person-to-person, we're likely to each apologize and stay friendly. If I bump into someone's shopping cart with my cart, the interaction is likely to be less friendly. If I bump into someone's car with mine, a simple apology is definitely not going to cut it. Some of this is of course due to the increased likelihood of damage and financial implications, but I do think some of it is also due to greater distance/removal which allows us to carry less empathy. Bikes and bike gear certainly fit into that somewhere.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 06-18-23, 11:51 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Some cyclists dehumanize themselves. Large pointy "heads", crazy multicolored "skin" emblazoned with words no human person understands, operating a skinny machine that occupies spaces on roads that "real" humans either don't utilize or find these crazy slow "Martians" right in their way.

We do it to ourselves. Like a crazy cult that is sometimes easy to loathe by motorists.
Old 06-18-23, 02:49 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
I feel perfectly fine riding on the roads. Nothing dehumanizing about it.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 06-18-23, 04:58 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I don't believe attire makes any difference. And I've never felt dehumanized. Although I can see that nasty urban traffic could feel dehumanizing for cyclists or drivers if it has to be part of one's daily routine.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 06-18-23, 10:32 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Some places in the sub-continent the natives, when gathering wood or whatever, when walking through the forest, will wear masks facing backwards so tigers stalking them will think they can be seen thereby foiling their intentions.
I think forthwidth I will afix a mask to the back of my helmet to make motorists think I watching them!

Last edited by tungsten; 07-26-23 at 10:08 PM.
Likes For tungsten:
Old 06-19-23, 12:54 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
I give vehicles a "thumbs up" as soon as I am aware they are coming up from behind. Very often when I see the drivers (I live in a small town) they chuckle that I give them the thumbs up at the same time THEY first see me.

Much the same for vehicles approaching me in the opposite direction. On my world tour it was my #1 way of determining if I was traveling in a hostile region.

In ay case the more feedback you have with drivers, I think, the more human you become as a rider.
Old 06-19-23, 08:02 PM
DidntHearU

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ddd

Last edited by DidntHearU; 07-02-23 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-20-23, 08:32 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I think it's the hockey goaltender padding effect. Compare the padding goaltenders wore back in the '60's. No face masks and skimpy padding compared to the equipment worn today. As a result, (maybe?) hockey sticks became more flexible and stronger as goaltenders took more hits to the body.

And then there's the road safety and car safety design. They both allow the bad driver to take more and worse chances as survivability improves.

So all that translates to the cyclists who is dressed in hi-vis protected clothing including headwear. It's not the cyclist taking more risks. It's the driver taking the risk to the cyclist.

After stating all that, personally, I don't think I've experienced any worse. Maybe I don't have anything else to compare with or I'm too scared to ride in dark clothes with no lights or helmet.
Old 06-20-23, 12:39 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

This one runs on money and makes you fat!
This one runs on fat and saves you money!
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 06-21-23, 06:03 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Interested thread. In my experience there is definitely bias. The vast majority of my bad interactions with drivers were when wearing bike gear and riding solo on my folding road bike, either with or without my high visibility neon backpack...though generally worse when not wearing the backpack.

Same commute on my 20 inch folder wearing little bike gear and a black backpack resulted in almost no bad interactions. The more you look like the guy who lost his license the better.

Tandem with the wife, a few issues here and there. Tandem with the wife and trailer containing our pooch, zero issues.

Worst behavior, group rides.
Old 06-21-23, 07:38 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
I wonder if walking on a busy MUP with tons of bike traffic can be considered a dehumanizing experience.

Old 06-21-23, 12:55 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
This one runs on money and makes you fat!
This one runs on fat and saves you money!
I like to tell people that bikes run on cake.

I have no idea if wearing a helmet dehumanizes me to the drivers, all my negative encounters have been deliberate, but my kit runs more towards jorts and a t-shirt, though for longer rides I have some exercise capris from Target; flat seams and very comfortable. So if clothing plays into drivers' perceptions, I'm good. I suppose I'll find out if/when I get hit.

Last edited by Korina; 06-21-23 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-21-23, 10:18 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by Korina
I like to tell people that bikes run on cake.
im not sure of the time figures but if I recall yiu burn carbohydrates for the first hour of so when running….so for a bike it might be more like 2 or even three hours. After that you start to burn fat. If you do not train yourself to burn fat—-by doing it often—— you feel weak at this point. After I’ve been carbo loading and fat trained, I often would look at my legs while riding and feel they were completely autonomous, getting no instructions from my brain at all.
Old 06-22-23, 01:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DidntHearU
However, three things have not changed
1. Safety First, for me first, and also for other drivers. I want everyone to go home at the end of the day in one piece, even if you hate me.
2. Better to be alive and wrong than dead right. Cars always win in a bike-car collision.
1 is fine, but the #2 "dead right" thing is a real pet peeve of mine because it's either meaningless or it gives a very wrong impression. It's usually aimed at cyclists who take an obvious ("assertive") road position when I think that it's timidity that likely renders people invisible and gets them hurt.

It certainly isn't aimed at people who ride through stop signs and red lights blindly, no one considers that "right".

The "dead right" thing is right up there with the "I had the right of way" epitaph as nonsense masquerading as being profound.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-22-23, 08:37 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,534 Times in 3,032 Posts
It was much safer before everyone had a smart phone.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 06-23-23, 12:18 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
The data are mixed. I wish they would calculate it to more than 1 decimal figure, but back in the 1970s and though the 1980s bicycle fatalities were .5% and .4% of all motor vehicle crash deaths. They have been much lower than that in the 21st century, usually .2 and .3%. This is per 100,000 people, which is kind of a weird denominator!

AS a percentage of CRASHES..the number has been 2% forever. Again I wish they used more decimal places.

source: https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...early-snapshot
Old 06-23-23, 02:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
The data are mixed. I wish they would calculate it to more than 1 decimal figure, but back in the 1970s and though the 1980s bicycle fatalities were .5% and .4% of all motor vehicle crash deaths. They have been much lower than that in the 21st century, usually .2 and .3%. This is per 100,000 people, which is kind of a weird denominator!

AS a percentage of CRASHES..the number has been 2% forever. Again I wish they used more decimal places.

source: https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality...early-snapshot

That's 0.2 deaths per 100,000 people, not 0.2% per 100,000 people which would be a statistic that made no sense. .2 per 100,000 is actually 0.0002 per cent. Lately, though, that number is 0.3 deaths per 100,000.

The steady 2% figure (no decimal point, BTW) is the proportion of motor vehicle crash deaths--2% of the people killed by motor vehicle crashes are cycling.
Old 06-26-23, 11:59 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Ahh that makes sense. Like I said in my post, I wish they included more decimal places. I am used to getting treasury bond quotes where they say the interest rate will be 4.1246534% ! On 31 trillion national debt, those decimal places mean real cash....
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 07-04-23, 12:29 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I'm a conservative bicyclist; I tend to drive as far right as is reasonable but do not want to risk a flat tire, as I saw more broken glass on the side of the road yesterday. Also a kid in a car with other kids threw a container of fluid on me which if I had gotten the plate # would have reported it as I'm sure it is against the law.
Old 07-05-23, 04:21 AM
Eventyr

Bikes: Road Bike, Mountain Bike, & Recumbent BIke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sharing in Seoul

I currently live in Seoul, South Korea, and I only venture on the roads briefly when they are empty. Traffic congestion is too great to attempt to share the road with cars, especially given the aggressive driving customs here. Luckily, Seoul has dozens of dedicated bicycle paths that follow the many rivers. All cyclists, young, old, casual riders, and serious riders, use these paths, so you must be patent to avoid bike-on-bike accidents. I look at the constant slowing down and speeding up as an added benefit to my workout. If you ride far enough, you may see a sign that says, Warning. This area is an area where human casualties have occurred due to lost landmines. (Google translation from Korean) Just another challenge for cyclists.
Likes For Eventyr:
Old 07-05-23, 09:48 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Maybe a few buses would help….

Old 07-07-23, 09:02 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
And a basic pickup truck wasn't a fashion trend or 6 feet tall at the hood ornament.
Old 07-07-23, 10:26 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
First my comments are from experience here locally I have lived in several states and and this area is the only place I see the trends as bad as they are
In this area . It is not the high visibility/ safety jersey wearing that draws ire. It's the action of the minority of the people who dress like that that cause issues. Following traffic laws only when it's convenient , riding to fast and or aggressively around pedestrians . Intentionally slowing traffic when it not needed. And it's not only on the road. The ride M.U.Ps above the speed limit 3-10 riders cutting way too close to elderly and children etc. Even going 80 miles away from here where I used to live you don't see this behavior. I am not saying all cyclist are like this just in this area .
I wear a helmet if I ride in traffic usually light colored tee shirt and cargo shorts. never had a problem. Of course I look like someone who would be riding a Harley instead of a Surly
Old 07-07-23, 02:19 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
I don't have a 'pointy' bike helmet. But I do have a 'racing' road bike. I also utilize bright colors. I 'take the lane'. Because traffic laws me to, by the use of the jurisdiction language.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.