Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

130mm for a 126mm hub frame

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

130mm for a 126mm hub frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 12:03 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
It's clear from your posts that you know what you're doing. Both methods work fine. The (admittedly fairly minor) reason I changed from your method to mine was that I liked not having to go back and rebend one or both sides if I could avoid it. Given a frame that starts out straight, I bend one side to 3 mm and then the other, I check the dropouts with the Campy H tool, and I'm done.
Yours is probably the more correct way. I've done some really dodgy hacks, like tying a bent bike between two cars and pulling until it was straight again - I like to think I'm a bit of a redneck.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 03-23-24, 03:11 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The common methods of spreading rear dropouts (or "fork ends," per Sheldon Brown's strongly expressed preference) were mentioned only once in this thread that I remember (those being the use of 2 x 4's, washers and nuts and a threaded rod. etc.).

Just dropping in to point out that, while the left and right dropouts often move equal distances from the frame's center line when a threaded rod is used, or when the mechanic just grabs and pulls the sides apart, equal movement is not guaranteed.

The advantage of the 2 x 4 method is that, if you begin with a frame whose alignment has been measured to be correct, you can bend one side at a time the correct distance. In the case of a 124-mm OLD being changed to 130 mm, that would be 3 mm per side, obviously.

Once you've moved each side 3 mm, all that's left to do is align the dropouts using the Campy H dropout tool or the Park equivalent and then reconfirm that the frame's alignment is still good.
All true. But it is also true that spreading without a board usually is symmetrical, and if it isn't you can correct it pretty easily.
Old 03-23-24, 09:55 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
You're the one telling a pro mechanic his methods are wrong, when they're SOP and "good enough".
Grabbing a frame and mauling it with your hands -- as this 'professional' does -- is not SOP, and not "good enough" if we are simultaneously worried about precision to within far less than a degree. Ya cain't have it both ways.

But the discussion got turned around and from "insignificantly small" fractional degree changes in alignment you're now arguing that the gauges we use aren't accurate enough. His Park Tool Frame Alignment Gauge No.2 is fine, it's quicker than my string but that is also fine, and the Campagnolo model H style end alignment gauges are sufficiently accurate and easy to use. Is it within a third of a degree? Who knows, who cares?
​​​​​​
In answer to "Who cares?", the answer is, precisely everyone here who is claiming that dropouts must be aligned to within a couple thin hairs of perfect -- which was quite a bit of the first several pages here.

You cain't have it both ways. Either the induced change is very small or not. If it is -- and we've discussed ad nauseum how small it is by now -- then adjusting that out with crude tools is extremely difficult, by the very nature of those tools. And if the change is large, the operator did a very sloppy job on the cold set, and/or used poor tools.

And again, if one is concerned about hundredths of a millimeter on the inside dropout face, measuring to the outside of the dropout with that FrameAG-2 is not going to work -- because again, dropouts are not manufactured to sufficient tolerances to make that operation accurate to the desired precision. Of course, a "superlative" mechanic would have known this, but our correspondent here did not.

My original statement was that the angle change introduced by spreading from 126 to 130mm is extremely minor, and that few mechanics are capable of correcting that degree of misalignment with crude hand tools. That remains correct, despite the shenanigans of this alleged superlative mechanic, who first agreed with me, and then apparently out of boredom, decided to undertake a lengthy and nonsensical disagreement.
Old 03-23-24, 10:17 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by TC1
Grabbing a frame and mauling it with your hands -- as this 'professional' does -- is not SOP, and not "good enough" if we are simultaneously worried about precision to within far less than a degree. Ya cain't have it both ways.

In answer to "Who cares?", the answer is, precisely everyone here who is claiming that dropouts must be aligned to within a couple thin hairs of perfect -- which was quite a bit of the first several pages here.

You cain't have it both ways. Either the induced change is very small or not. If it is -- and we've discussed ad nauseum how small it is by now -- then adjusting that out with crude tools is extremely difficult, by the very nature of those tools. And if the change is large, the operator did a very sloppy job on the cold set, and/or used poor tools.

And again, if one is concerned about hundredths of a millimeter on the inside dropout face, measuring to the outside of the dropout with that FrameAG-2 is not going to work -- because again, dropouts are not manufactured to sufficient tolerances to make that operation accurate to the desired precision. Of course, a "superlative" mechanic would have known this, but our correspondent here did not.

My original statement was that the angle change introduced by spreading from 126 to 130mm is extremely minor, and that few mechanics are capable of correcting that degree of misalignment with crude hand tools. That remains correct, despite the shenanigans of this alleged superlative mechanic, who first agreed with me, and then apparently out of boredom, decided to undertake a lengthy and nonsensical disagreement.
Quote where I mauled anything.

The point I have been making is that the only part of all this that benefits from a degree of high precision are the dropouts to the hub - for the reasons previously stated about how the mechanics of the hub work. The location of the dropouts to the rest of the frame does not need to be very precise, but aren't that hard to be precise because the flats of the dropout where the axle end and QR contact are square to each other, and that's where you measure to with the frame tool.

As several people have pointed out to you, the forces in the frame and what happens when you alter the frame can be complex, which is why it was suggested that your plan to ignore the dropout alignment after spreading the dropouts might not make sense.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-23-24, 10:22 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by Kontact
I don't get poor or inconsistent results. I am a superlative mechanic, craftsman, metalworker and electrician.
Right -- a superlative mechanic who couldn't figure out what millimeters refer to in this discussion, among other things.

But, as I pointed out already, we aren't talking about what I do, but what everyone should do. Whether you use a jig, a lever, your hands, etc - you should check the dropouts with an alignment tool after you check the dropout centering (yes, the alignment tool or a taut string and calipers are sufficiently accurate), because you just applied a bunch of weird forces to complex metal shapes, and they don't always behave predictably.
A superlative mechanic can build a tool for under $5 that will prevent the dropouts from being angled while the spread occurs, thereby making a post-operation check unnecessary. Actually, damn near any mechanic can manage that.

The important concepts in this discussion are Significant Digits and Tolerance Stacking.
It's amusing that you say that after suggesting measuring to the outside of dropouts, when the critical surface is the inside -- without seemingly any concern for resolving the resulting tolerance stack.

How close does each measure have to be, considering how a bicycle works; and how much does each alteration effect other measures?
Which sounds suspiciously like you have come back around to agreeing with me, that a few thin human hairs of dropout misalignment are very unlikely to matter, or to be adjusted out.

Steel bikes aren't made of rods, but tubes that don't just bend linearly but twist and interfere with each other. We cold set frames because of concern with putting the tubing under constant tension - but there is really no way to remove all of it because we can't measure how much the final position of the dropout is actually the result of opposing tensions between the seatstay and chainstay.
For wildly-varying definitions of "opposing".

Given that complexity, you should check/correct your dropout alignment last, so your wheel goes in and out easily and your axle has a minimum of asymmetric forces acting on it. And if you see no point, why bother to cold set the frame at all?
So again, as I inquired of you a page or so ago, how many millimeters, or degrees, is close-enough to achieve "a minimum" of asymmetry?

As for you TC1, I don't think there is a single person on this thread that thinks whatever point you're making is sensible. You are simultaneously saying that all bike techniques are too crude measurement wise, yet insist that something you never measure is fine. Which is why no one agrees with you.
Luckily for me, physics is not democratic. Neither is mechanics. And, for the record, you originally agreed with me.
Old 03-23-24, 10:58 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by TC1
Right -- a superlative mechanic who couldn't figure out what millimeters refer to in this discussion, among other things.

Quote me.

A superlative mechanic can build a tool for under $5 that will prevent the dropouts from being angled while the spread occurs, thereby making a post-operation check unnecessary. Actually, damn near any mechanic can manage that.

To bend the stays, any tool that needs to get the dropout to stop at +2mm, you have to flex the dropouts well past 2mm. If your tool holds the dropout parallel to the frame throughout the arc of the bending, the dropout MUST end up set at the wrong angle. In other words, if you start at 126, you have to go past 130 to maybe 140 or so to get enough plastic deformation to settle back to 130 after the device is removed. There is no chance that the bending the dropout parallel at 140 is going to cause it to settle at parallel also at 130.

So please explain how your $5 tool simultaneously sets two unrelated angles at one time.

It's amusing that you say that after suggesting measuring to the outside of dropouts, when the critical surface is the inside -- without seemingly any concern for resolving the resulting tolerance stack.

You seem to be forgetting what we are measuring and when. I have said that the centering of the dropouts to the frame isn't as important as the dropouts being nicely dimensioned to the hub. The frame alignment tool does not measure dropout width, and I it sounds like you think that it does (because you aren't actually that familiar with what is being discussed). The frame tool is a comparator to find if the dropouts are centered to the frame. This is done after the dropout width is set by measuring the inner distance between them. Then you use the dropout tool to square the dropouts that are already 130mm apart (checked by inner measure) and centered to the frame (checked by alignment too). So there are three separate measures being made with three different tools.

Which sounds suspiciously like you have come back around to agreeing with me, that a few thin human hairs of dropout misalignment are very unlikely to matter, or to be adjusted out.

No, I'm saying that some things need to be more precise than others, but that the forces of bending the stays can produce surprising results at the dropouts. Like when you use a $5 threaded rod tool.

Did you read what the frame builder above observed?

So again, as I inquired of you a page or so ago, how many millimeters, or degrees, is close-enough to achieve "a minimum" of asymmetry?

I can align everything so there is an unobservable amount of variation from spec using shop gauges to observe. What's "close enough"? Just putting the 130 wheel in the unaltered 126 frame. But if I'm going to bother to spread a frame, I'm not going to settle for a result that is anything less than spot on for the alignment tools being used.

Luckily for me, physics is not democratic. Neither is mechanics. And, for the record, you originally agreed with me.
I really think your lack of familiarity with the tools and methods are part of the reason you are confused by my responses. Looking forward to your explanation of how a dropout can be kept parallel while being flexed past its final width.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-24-24, 07:10 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
You can really tell in this back and forth who has actual experience with cold setting frames and who does not. So much energy to try and refute the experience of anyone who’s actually done this a bunch.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-24-24, 07:12 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1

Hey, I don’t like Kontact either, but man, you really seem to be out for him for some reason. Give it a rest.
Old 03-24-24, 06:23 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by smd4
Hey, I don’t like Kontact either, but man, you really seem to be out for him for some reason. Give it a rest.
If you go way back about four pages, you'll find that I just noted that the angle change resulting from a 126 -> 130 spread is very small, and difficult to adjust out. This Kontact individual agreed with me -- and then later, for reasons which remain unknown, began attacking me personally, in addition to making all manner of other nonsensical remarks.

If you are going to wade into the discussion in the manner that you chose, at least read it first.
Old 03-24-24, 06:26 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by TC1
If you are going to wade into the discussion in the manner that you chose, at least read it first.
I read all of it, sadly. I think you’re wasting your time and being overly belligerent. But hey, you do you.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-24-24, 06:34 PM
TC1

Quote me.
I don't know what fractions of a millimeter pertain to.
Are we done here yet, or are you going to continue to waste everyone's time with your nonsense? At least read your own comments before writing new ones.

I can align everything so there is an unobservable amount of variation from spec using shop gauges to observe. What's "close enough"? Just putting the 130 wheel in the unaltered 126 frame. But if I'm going to bother to spread a frame, I'm not going to settle for a result that is anything less than spot on for the alignment tools being used.
And again, we find that it boils down to this "superlative" mechanic eyeballing the frame and calling it 'good'. So we've wasted hours and pages arguing about nothing, because you don't even care about, nor try to achieve, anything that might be called 'precision'.

Which, ironically, was basically my original point -- that the change in dropout angle is sufficiently small that adjusting it out is both typically unnecessary and far from trivial with crude tools and eyeball measurements.
Old 03-24-24, 06:37 PM
TC1

I read all of it, sadly. I think you’re wasting your time and being overly belligerent. But hey, you do you.
If you read it, why are you attacking me, and not the person who is resorting to personal attacks after having initially agreed with the position that they are now belligerently arguing against?

Clearly, you do you.
Old 03-24-24, 06:41 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by TC1
If you read it, why are you attacking me, and not the person who is resorting to personal attacks after having initially agreed with the position that they are now belligerently arguing against?

Clearly, you do you.
I always do.

I’m not “attacking” you, and I don’t think Kontact attacked you, but I think you may be in a little over your head here, and you keep digging. At this point it looks like you’re just arguing for the sake of argument.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-24-24, 07:53 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by TC1
Are we done here yet, or are you going to continue to waste everyone's time with your nonsense? At least read your own comments before writing new ones.

And again, we find that it boils down to this "superlative" mechanic eyeballing the frame and calling it 'good'. So we've wasted hours and pages arguing about nothing, because you don't even care about, nor try to achieve, anything that might be called 'precision'.

Which, ironically, was basically my original point -- that the change in dropout angle is sufficiently small that adjusting it out is both typically unnecessary and far from trivial with crude tools and eyeball measurements.
The word "pertains" means what the fractions of a MM apply to, when what you were referring to were angles.

How is using a measuring tool "eyeballing it"?

And my point has been that your guess that the dropout angle is directly tied to the amount the stay is bent is incorrect. Especially if you are attempting to bend both simultaneously, and one is hard steel and the other mild cast.
Old 03-24-24, 08:03 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
You two make my head hurt.

And not in a good way.
Old 03-25-24, 01:23 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
But since then you've created various straw men, and persisted in not getting the point, in a way that makes it look like you're out to "win" something, even though it looks from here like you've lost the plot.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 03-25-24, 01:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I know how to make life easier.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 03-26-24 at 06:50 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-25-24, 07:08 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun

HA! Kapaun has so many people on ignore he probably misses 95% of what’s posted!
Old 03-25-24, 08:09 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun

This is tasteless. Keep the personal attacks to PMs.
Old 03-26-24, 12:29 PM
TC1

I’m not “attacking” you, and I don’t think Kontact attacked you, but I think you may be in a little over your head here, and you keep digging. At this point it looks like you’re just arguing for the sake of argument.
If I'm over my head, what does that make the character who agreed with me initially and then decided to engage in a week-long argument over nothing -- before finally just admitting that they eyeball the frame and then call it 'good'?

By the way, if you don't think these are attacks, you need to try reading again:

"You're an odd fellow. So little experience with actually doing stuff..."
"Hopefully any rational person reading this..."

Amusing to note that, way back up top, when another individual claimed their dropouts became misaligned, your buddy Kontact doubted them:

And that was going from 126 to 130?
But when I make the same observation, I am attacked.

Even you agreed with me, a week ago, before getting caught up in the unbridled fun of attacking a person on the interwebz other nothing.

Gotcha.
Probably why I found it funny when 70sSanO suggested the index shifting of a 9 speed hub would suffer if forced into a 126 mm frame.
But hey, like I said, you guys do you. If you get your jollies off of arguing over nothing for a week, I don't suppose that I can stop you.

​​​​​​​
Old 03-26-24, 12:33 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by TC1
If I'm over my head, what does that make the character who agreed with me initially and then decided to engage in a week-long argument over nothing -- before finally just admitting that they eyeball the frame and then call it 'good'?

By the way, if you don't think these are attacks, you need to try reading again:

"You're an odd fellow. So little experience with actually doing stuff..."
"Hopefully any rational person reading this..."

Amusing to note that, way back up top, when another individual claimed their dropouts became misaligned, your buddy Kontact doubted them:

But when I make the same observation, I am attacked.

Even you agreed with me, a week ago, before getting caught up in the unbridled fun of attacking a person on the interwebz other nothing.

But hey, like I said, you guys do you. If you get your jollies off of arguing over nothing for a week, I don't suppose that I can stop you.
Wow. Just...wow.

​​​​​​​
Old 03-26-24, 12:42 PM
TC1

The word "pertains" means what the fractions of a MM apply to, when what you were referring to were angles.
A "superlative" mechanic -- and even many who are not -- can puzzle out that two planes which may, or may not, be angled to each other, are also separated by some number of millimeters. That's very much not rocket science, fella.

How is using a measuring tool "eyeballing it"?
A superlative mechanic would recognize that the oft-mentioned dropout alignment tool does not provide a measurement of misalignment, it requires the operator to look at it -- with their eyeballs.

Also, you very recently wrote: "What's "close enough"? Just putting the 130 wheel in the unaltered 126 frame." In which case, you are eyeballing whether the wheel sits appropriately. So apparently, your standard is that anything better than the unaltered 126 frame is just fine.

I've asked, at least twice, for people to take credit for the tolerances which they are able to hold using these crude tools -- but no one has been willing to offer such. The whole point here -- to the degree one exists at all -- has been that you and your acolytes claim dropouts can be aligned to within less than 1/4 degree of perfection with crude hand tools. That's a feat which I would think y'all would want to brag about, but no one seems willing.

And my point has been that your guess that the dropout angle is directly tied to the amount the stay is bent is incorrect. Especially if you are attempting to bend both simultaneously, and one is hard steel and the other mild cast.
Oh look, they are also a superlative metallurgist.

Can we just rewind to the part above where you agree with me, and stop wasting further time?

Last edited by TC1; 03-26-24 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-26-24, 12:44 PM
TC1

But since then you've created various straw men, and persisted in not getting the point, in a way that makes it look like you're out to "win" something, even though it looks from here like you've lost the plot.
Okay, let's sum it up then.

What "strawmen" exactly?

And what do you claim this missed point is?
Old 03-26-24, 12:48 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by TC1
If you get your jollies off of arguing over nothing for a week, I don't suppose that I can stop you.
Irony much?
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-26-24, 01:03 PM
TC1

Irony much?
If you read above, you'll find that I made a reasonable and correct statement. Various folks -- yourself included -- agreed with me. Then, for reasons which remain unknown, this Kontact individual started a week-long argument over points which they had previously agreed with and which they are now forced to more-or-less abandon under questioning -- meaning the whole affair was a complete waste of time, except, I suppose, it provided this Kontact individual with something to do for a week. I'd much rather have not wasted the time on this thread, as I have far better things to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.