Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling cloths options (jerseys, gloves, shoe covers)

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 01:19 PM
scarleton

Bikes: Lynsky R240 w/ Ultegra Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have done my fair share of riding in the cold, down to about 17 degrees. All was fine, but I am looking to improve things a bit. The last time I was out was a week ago on a 75 mile ride. It was 22 degree for the first few hours and finally got up to 38, I dressed expecting it to get to 50:

* 3 layers: Pearl Izumi thermal base layer, basic short sleeve jersey, Pearl Izumi thermal jersey.
* thermal tights
* gloves designed for about 50 degrees
* wool socks with toe covers

Now I am normally very warm and wear shorts all year around, even when it is 10 outside. While I wasn't freezing, I wasn't 'warm' either. I was 'cool' until it got into the mid 30's, then I was comfortable.

I plan on doing some double centuries this winter and am looking to find a way to stay just a touch warmer then I was last week when in the 20's that will also keep me going in a 32~50 degree rain. I am seeking advise on clothing. So here are my different questions:

(Important fact, I am 6'4" with a belly, so I need normal fitting XXL normally, which

1: Base Layer options: While I like the Pearl Izumi base layer, I am looking for a merino wool base layer that will still keep me warm even if it is soaking wet. (I am thinking of something for those 40 degree raining days) I have seen the Specialized Merino Long Sleeve Tech Layer, which looks like it is what I need, but I am wondering if there are other options out there that might be even better.

2: Jersey: I had a summer jersey on, zero thermal properties. What are the options out there for merino wool jersey's to go over a merino wool base layer? I know about Oregon Cycle Wear makes something big enough for me, but are there other options out there, as well? These really need to be tradition jersey's because I will wear it UNDER the Pearl Izumi thermal jacket.

3: Gloves: I am iffy on this one, don't know if there is a better option then what I already have... I had (in the car) my glove liners which I have worn on rides in the teens and twenties before. The only issue is that that is that it wasn't too flexible and it was a pain to take off. Is being layered the best bet or might there be a single glove that will work for me? I really don't want huge mits, any one have any thoughts on good cold weather gloves that aren't too thick?

4: Shoe covers: I am totally stumped on this one. I know there are really thin ones designed just to keep the wind off you. How do they work with thick wool socks? Am I better off with thicker shoe covers that have more thermal properties to them or would they be too warm in 50 degree raining days? Also, what brands would you recommend? My shoes are Specialized, does it make the most sense to keep with the same brand of shoe covers?
Old 12-14-15, 09:36 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Regarding merino base layer, there are lots of options, just search for them. I can't help because I'm satisfied with mine from Costco a couple of years ago.

Some people use merino as the base layer then a midlayer of a wicking fabric, that might be easier to find. There are some long-sleeved jerseys that are merino but these are hard to find I think judging from the fact that I see them rarely.

What I've done for my feet is as follows. I have some wind resistant shoe covers that provide some protection against the cold. For when I need more, I had cut the first 3 inches or so toe section off a pair of wool socks and I pull these over my shoes and then the shoe covers over top as it is my toes that get cold. This provides some additional insulation but without compressing additional insulation inside my shoe and thereby compressing my toes.

Last edited by jrickards; 12-14-15 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-14-15, 10:11 AM
scarleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
Regarding merino base layer, there are lots of options, just search for them. I can't help because I'm satisfied with mine from Costco a couple of years ago.
I have searched for them, I think I am not using good search terms because the only base layers I have found so far are these two:

* Specialized Merino Long Sleeve Tech Layer
* Vintage Velos

I am leaning towards the Specialized because it seems more form fitting.

When you say a mid layer of a wicking fabric, are you refering to a thermal layer that is wicking? If so, do you have any to suggest? My #1 issue is the number of options out there and NONE of them being found locally. I am looking for specific recommendations
Old 12-14-15, 11:21 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There are merino baselayers from Smartwool.com, Patagonia.com and Icebreaker.com although these aren't bike specific if that it what you're looking for.

Mid-layer? Like Nike or Columbia perhaps? I've just picked up a nice Reebok shirt that would do well as a midlayer.

This looks like a good article: The Layering Guide: Sierra Trading Post
Old 12-14-15, 12:38 PM
scarleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are merino baselayers from Smartwool.com, Patagonia.com and Icebreaker.com although these aren't bike specific if that it what you're looking for.

Mid-layer? Like Nike or Columbia perhaps? I've just picked up a nice Reebok shirt that would do well as a midlayer.

This looks like a good article: The Layering Guide: Sierra Trading Post
Thank you so very much for the post. I read the Sierra Trading Post article and could not agree more with it, but here is my frustrations: I go to their web site to find a Merino wool cycling mid-layer and I cannot find ANY winter cycling cloths! I just find this whole thing very frustrating to actually find this gear! I will check out the other web sites you listed, too. Again, thank you for the post!
Old 12-14-15, 12:46 PM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
It sounds to me that you're looking for cycling specific gear/kit. Other than bike commuting-related clothing, it seems to me that cycling-specific winter gear tends to lean towards UK-type or southern US-type winters where it gets too cold for short-sleeved jerseys and shorts so a set of tights and heavier jacket seem to meet the needs of winter cyclists. Not so here in Canada as well as the northern US states where we tend to look towards what skiers/snowboarders wear for inspiration. If you're looking for cycling specific gear, try Castelli or Rapha to start but be prepared for sticker shock.
Old 12-14-15, 12:58 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I've been real happy with everything I've bought from Ibex. It's all been Merino wool, a fair bit of it I've bought through aebike.com
Old 12-14-15, 01:14 PM
scarleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds to me that you're looking for cycling specific gear/kit. Other than bike commuting-related clothing, it seems to me that cycling-specific winter gear tends to lean towards UK-type or southern US-type winters where it gets too cold for short-sleeved jerseys and shorts so a set of tights and heavier jacket seem to meet the needs of winter cyclists. Not so here in Canada as well as the northern US states where we tend to look towards what skiers/snowboarders wear for inspiration. If you're looking for cycling specific gear, try Castelli or Rapha to start but be prepared for sticker shock.
I am looking for cycling specific gear. I am thinking of the 215 mile ride I have planned Saturday in 20-30 degree weather and it seems wise to have cycling specific gear. I did try both Castelli or Rapha and they would work if... I didn't have a 46" waste. Guess I should stop eating like a pig and maybe I can fit into their gear!

P.S. I had a salad for lunch today!
Old 12-14-15, 01:39 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
You don't have to have cycle specific gear to pedal. I too am 6'4" with some girth to my middle. They make bike gear for skinny EU racers that weigh 147 lbs. I like the patagonia stuff. Merino wool base layer. A wool sweater will work for the warmth layer, thick or thin as needed. I use a New Balance running jacket for my medium temp ( 20-40 F) outer layer. It has a wind proof front and a thin mesh knit back, great for blocking the wind and wicking sweat. Try some running or xc ski stuff. Both are designed for high aerobic activity and sweat management.
Old 12-14-15, 02:12 PM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scarleton
I am looking for cycling specific gear. I am thinking of the 215 mile ride I have planned Saturday in 20-30 degree weather and it seems wise to have cycling specific gear. I did try both Castelli or Rapha and they would work if... I didn't have a 46" waste. Guess I should stop eating like a pig and maybe I can fit into their gear!

P.S. I had a salad for lunch today!
Wow, 215mi, that's nice! Enjoy the ride!
Old 12-14-15, 02:15 PM
scarleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
You don't have to have cycle specific gear to pedal.
Thank you for replying, since you are my size, your insights will be very valuable. My #1 concern when cycling is exposing the lower back and the like. As we all know cycling tops seem to be long in the back to help us out in that area. What has your experience been with running gear, do you get enough coverage?
Old 12-14-15, 02:24 PM
scarleton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, 215mi, that's nice! Enjoy the ride!
Yes, I have been looking forward to it for a while now, it should be really interesting! I am just glad it is not calling for 40 degree rain! That I might have pushed back a week.
Old 12-15-15, 01:01 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
(Important fact, I am 6'4" with a belly, so I need normal fitting XXL normally, which

1: Base Layer options: While I like the Pearl Izumi base layer, I am looking for a merino wool base layer that will still keep me warm even if it is soaking wet. (I am thinking of something for those 40 degree raining days) I have seen the Specialized Merino Long Sleeve Tech Layer, which looks like it is what I need, but I am wondering if there are other options out there that might be even better.
In my experience you need a few things from a baselayer:
1. Wool. Synthetic works ok to, but it stinks a lot faster and I like wool better. Just mention it as a "if you can't find wool that fits" option.

2. Long enough in the sleeves and at the waist. This is what I don't like about the Specialized jersey - it looks like it has long enough arms but a "short waist" thing going on that designers do to look high end. Unless you happen to fit it, I think it sucks.

3. Fairly tight fitting. The base layer being tight to the skin makes you feel warmer. I have both a smartwool (looser fitting) top and an Endura (tighter fitting wool) top and much prefer the Endura.

That being said though - it depends on what fits your body, and I have no idea over the internet. I bought my brother a smartwool top and bottom because he's heftier than I am, and it was tight to him, whereas the Endura stuff on him would have been way way to tight.

You need a baselayer that's wool, long enough in the arms and torso, and fits snugly. Here's two smartwool tops from REI:
SmartWool Midweight Crew Top - Wool - Men's - REI.com
SmartWool Midweight Zip-T Top - Wool - Men's - REI.com

I'd say it's more important that getting something that's "cycling specific".

2: Jersey: I had a summer jersey on, zero thermal properties. What are the options out there for merino wool jersey's to go over a merino wool base layer? I know about Oregon Cycle Wear makes something big enough for me, but are there other options out there, as well? These really need to be tradition jersey's because I will wear it UNDER the Pearl Izumi thermal jacket.
Is it this one?
https://shop.pearlizumi.com/product....color_code=4EK

If you're using a decent outer jacket, I don't know that you need to many layers. It was 25 degrees the other day and I was riding with 1 layer of midweight smartwool under a "windproof front breathable back" pair of pants from REI and was extremely comfortable.

If you plan to ride in serious rain, I'd suggest an actual rain jacket. I have a Shower's Pass Elite jacket made out of eVent that I've used for riding in the rain that's worked well. Very windproof. Fairly breathable. Polartech NeoShell seems to be the only material more breathable. I know some of the more "serious" riders have Goretex Active jackets that fold down into being about the size of a grapefruit so they can be carried in a back jersey pocket.

The drawback of all of these is that while they're fairly breathable sometimes they're still not breathable enough to be 100% comfortable. It's like 90% comfortable. This year I'm experimenting with ones that have a windproof front and more breathable back to see if that helps.

3: Gloves: I am iffy on this one, don't know if there is a better option then what I already have... I had (in the car) my glove liners which I have worn on rides in the teens and twenties before. The only issue is that that is that it wasn't too flexible and it was a pain to take off. Is being layered the best bet or might there be a single glove that will work for me? I really don't want huge mits, any one have any thoughts on good cold weather gloves that aren't too thick?
I just bought a new pair of bike gloves, and the Craft Siberian Bike Gloves are the warmest and most comfortable gloves I've ever used (I don't like the yellow but they come in nearly all black as well):
Craft Siberian Glove | Cycling | Durable all weather cycling glove.

Again though, a big thing is fit. But these are the warmest gloves I could find that gave me good dexterity while wearing them - warmest before you got into the lobster claw, or huge bulky glove. They worked for me fantastically at 25 degrees a week ago. I bought them, realized (long story) something about my existing gloves, was going to return them but wore them once first - and completely changed my mind and kept them. They've been fantastic for me.

4: Shoe covers: I am totally stumped on this one. I know there are really thin ones designed just to keep the wind off you. How do they work with thick wool socks? Am I better off with thicker shoe covers that have more thermal properties to them or would they be too warm in 50 degree raining days? Also, what brands would you recommend? My shoes are Specialized, does it make the most sense to keep with the same brand of shoe covers?
Again it's so body specific it's hard to give advice. Personally, all I require is a shoe cover and wool socks and my feet are plenty warm in the 15-32F temperature range. For other people they'd freeze their feet off with only that.

Specialized makes a full winter shoe, the Specialized Defroster Trail:
Specialized Bicycle Components

45nrth makes a whole range of winter bike shoes, the Japanther is the "least" warm:
45NRTH | Unparalleled Cold Weather Performance

You can also buy shoe covers like you mentioned:

I just cannot say, because the range of insulation required for around-freezing temps varies so dramatically from one person to another.
Old 12-15-15, 01:32 AM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for replying, since you are my size, your insights will be very valuable. My #1 concern when cycling is exposing the lower back and the like. As we all know cycling tops seem to be long in the back to help us out in that area. What has your experience been with running gear, do you get enough coverage?
Here are 2 that are very long and available in XXL from filson and mec

Filson Alaskan Midweight Crewneck Top - Free 2nd Day Air
https://www.mec.ca/product/5034-424/m...&q=merino%2Bt3

Regarding the mec one they may have changed it (i have an older version)
Here are measurements taken from mine
back : 33" from the base of the neck to the lower back, arms: 37" from the base of the neck to the cuff

Woolpower have bigger sizes but i don't know about the length as i only have a balaclava and a cap from them.

Last edited by erig007; 12-15-15 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-15-15, 01:46 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I have had good luck with an XL tall, a little longer. I actually found some patagonia( wait for it) XXL slim fit. Seems crazy but that's what I found at the outlet store, Freeport, ME
Old 12-15-15, 02:01 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Those winter bike-specific shoes are expensive. I can't justify spending that money for the few cold days we have here. I give up the cleats and ride with boots. I buy them a size or two big so I can fit thick socks.

Shoe covers on regular bike shoes seem like a joke to me. The shoe is designed for heat dissipation. Plus the cleat acts as a heat sink, and it's attached to a metal pedal, enhancing heat dissipation. I tried putting duct tape on my bike shoes last winter, and it seemed to have no effect.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-15-15, 02:12 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Leebo
I have had good luck with an XL tall, a little longer. I actually found some patagonia( wait for it) XXL slim fit. Seems crazy but that's what I found at the outlet store, Freeport, ME
Just noticed this pic at the patagonia website, funny
Gift Ideas by Price
Old 12-15-15, 11:57 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I think for base layers, cycling specific isn't necessary. And probably not much different than other baselayers. Collars (like running jerseys) or v-necks are probably the biggest decision to make. I hiked today and I have hiking pants, but underneath I wore Asics running tights. On top I had an Under Armor cold gear shirt with a hiking shirt over that. Outer layer was actually my REI Headwinds cycling jacket!

For winter cycling (and cycling in general) I find that the cycling specific outer layers are worth the price, but for under layers, other technical clothing serves just as well.
Old 12-16-15, 07:45 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I prefer collared underlayers because I hate it when my neck and collar bone region get cold.
Old 12-16-15, 08:41 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
* gloves designed for about 50 degrees

Hands are probably the most specific part of your body. Unless you want to keep sending the gloves back i would only go for gloves that can be tried at your local shops. It is easier with mitten as it's more or less just the thumb part of the mitten that need to fit properly.
Old 12-16-15, 08:56 AM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
A couple of months ago I got some wool shoes, which in combination with wool socks keep my feet quite comfortable. They work with toe clips, but not clipless.
Old 12-16-15, 10:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by katzenfinch
A couple of months ago I got some wool shoes, which in combination with wool socks keep my feet quite comfortable. They work with toe clips, but not clipless.
How strange! Please tell us more about what you think of them.

I bought a pair of mittens last winter at Campmor, a sports and outdoor store in NJ. (It's famous for its black and white catalog.) They are Gordini Stash Lite Touch Mitt. They were inexpensive. It has the feature of enabling you to use a smart phone's touch screen with the glove on. It doesn't work as well as a bare hand, but it works when I'm patient. That's not the main selling point for me. The mitten is extremely thin and pretty darned warm for something so thin. I can pick a quarter up from the ground with these mittens on, which indicates the dexterity the thinness gives me. I don't remember if I got the L or the XL, but I have a ton of room for wiggling my fingers around, which I do periodically to keep my hands warm. There is enough room in the mittens for gloves for the very cold days. I plan to use fleece gloves under the mittens this year. The mittens also have rubberized surfaces for good grip. I'm pleased beyond expectations with these mittens. Normally, mittens offer less dexterity than gloves, but these offer more than any gloves I've used for warmth.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-16-15, 07:35 PM
katzenfinch

Bikes: Chapman Rando, Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 2100, Bridgestone MB5, Burley Duet, Trek 614

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I like them very much! When I wear them on my commute I usually end up wearing them all day, and since wool breathes well my feet never get hot or sweaty. The heel is narrow and doesn’t get in the way of pedaling, and the toe fits nicely into my toe clips. I’ve not worn them below about 35°F so far, so can’t comment on how they do in really cold weather.

The mittens you describe intrigue me. I normally wear lobster claws, which do a good job of keeping my hands warm but at the expense of manual dexterity.
Old 12-16-15, 09:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@katzenfinch, if you try them, I'd like to know your impressions. They are the first thing I've used in a long time that work for me. I went through so many pairs of gloves in the previous two winters, and they were not warm AND didn't offer much dexterity. This gives both!

Old 12-20-15, 07:58 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
I've been real happy with everything I've bought from Ibex. It's all been Merino wool, a fair bit of it I've bought through aebike.com
Yep, I've been wearing a long sleeve jersey from them for several winters. It's held up well and does a great job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.