Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2016 Eroica California ride report

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 11:35 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts

My Eroica experience started with my drive down from Washington state. About 1/2 thru Oregon I cut over and followed the coastline into California - a drive worth taking the time to do. It is beautiful.

I stopped for a bit and walked around in Redwoods National Park
A walk in the Redwoods by NBend, on Flickr

big tree by NBend, on Flickr

NAPA VALLEY
Making good time I arrived a day earlier than expected for my first meet up with cycling friends in Santa Rosa for a few days of riding. I camped out in a state park just outside of St. Helena. I kind of planned it this way though so I could check out some route tips I had received from a guy named Steve whom I had met back in 2011 while having beers at the Russian River Brewery just prior to Levis GF - he had told me to check out Napa Valley and wrote down some suggestions on a coaster that I had kept. This was my route ‘Q Sheet”:
Route sheet by NBend, on Flickr

I chose the first 3 suggestions. Riding a loop up Mt.Veeder Road and returning via Dry Creek. The Loop was not very long - I was done in about 2 hours but it was beautiful and very quiet.

P1080758 by NBend, on Flickr

P1080759 by NBend, on Flickr

I still had time to kill before meeting up with my friends in Santa Rosa so I crossed over to the east side of town and rode north on Silverado Trail. The road was busier but the shoulder was good. I stopped and sampled some wine, then turned around at St. Helena and rode back to the car. Time to meet up with friends.
Old 04-14-16, 11:36 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

SONOMA VALLEY
I met up with my buddy Dale at the Russian River Brewery where we sampled their offerings of Sours, had some dinner then headed off to Windsor where he had rented a condo for the next 3 days. We were to meet with some other friends (Barb, Allan and Janelle..) the next morning for a ride on Kings Ridge.

In the Morning, we met at Occidental and rode up to the Cazaderos general store. We bought a few munchies ad split up: The Girls headed up via Ft Ross Road and we boys set out via kings Ridge. The plan was to meet up back in Occidental for dinner.

P1080761 by NBend, on Flickr

Kings Ridge was absolutely stunning this year! Hyper green hillsides, light winds, it was going to get hot and it did reach 90 in the afternoon.
On top of the Ridge
P1080764 by NBend, on Flickr
Descending Meyers Grade to the Ocean

P1080772 by NBend, on Flickr

Me on Meyers by NBend, on Flickr

P1080773 by NBend, on Flickr

We ate lunch in Jenner
P1080779 by NBend, on Flickr

My friends Dale and Allan are both very strong riders. It was difficult keeping up with them on the 15LB bikes, rapid shifting. I made matters more worse by lugging around 2 liters of water in a bota bag slung around my neck (I was using only one bottle cage on the Singer this year..). I was able to keep pace but just barely. The ride up Coleman Valley in the hot afternoon sun had me on the ropes but I hung in there and finished tired, hungry and happy.

The next morning the girls decided to take a day off the bikes. We went on 40 mile recovery ride around the upper Sonoma Valley
P1080782 by NBend, on Flickr

Stopping at this wonderful place for some snacks
P1080783 by NBend, on Flickr

The next morning, I took off for the drive down hwy 101 to Paso Robles.

Old 04-14-16, 11:39 AM
northbend 

PASO ROBLES
I brought 2 bikes down with me for Eroica:
The Hobbs was in the “Display” category of the Concours
The Singer was my bike for riding this year..

I didn’t take pictures of the Saturday festival or Concours..I figured many others would. I met up with a lot of folks I knew and some of you from Bike Forums. It was kind of cool to be walking around and hear someone say “hey I know that bike!” and I knew I was running into a forum member.

I went out for an easy spin east of town with “Bikingshearer” and Joe (not sure his forum handle)..
Here are a few shots from that ride:
bikingshearer
P1080794 by NBend, on Flickr
joe
P1080797 by NBend, on Flickr

P1080800 by NBend, on Flickr

P1080801 by NBend, on Flickr

P1080809 by NBend, on Flickr

I had to split off from them and get back to Paso Robles to take care of some business:
- Picking up a newly purchased PX10 for a friend of mine who had asked if I would bring it back for him
- Getting my Hobbs from the Concours after the show was over

I am now dealing with 3 big bikes packed into a Honda fit. Somehow it does…just barely.

I was invited by Bob Freeman to a dinner party at Ann and Bill Miller’s house in Paso Robles Saturday night. Gourmet food, good wine and fine conversation was a nice way to end the day.

Old 04-14-16, 11:41 AM
northbend 

THE EROICA
I had decided this year on doing the new “Coastal” route (83 miles) instead of the Long Eroica (127 miles). I had done the Long route last year - very nice but in my mind anyway..the 40 mile loop east of town is nice but not so much so, that I was willing to put several more hours in the saddle for: The main draw are the mountains and roads West of town. I could finish early and have more energy to enjoy the celebration afterwards.

I started at 6:30AM

P1080810 by NBend, on Flickr

As customary, I start in the back, letting all the riders in my wave ride ahead, getting their jitters out. We turn right and head out of town and almost immediately we are onto the climb up Kiler Canyon.

Here is where the riders string out and I move my way up the hill. This year, the ground was still wet form the rain the night before. It didn’t pose any problem in the rutted lower section in the trees but as I got out into the open on the upper section, I had trouble with sticky mud and rocks building up on my tires clogging the brakes. I had to stop several times to clear this out.

The hill has a way of separating the crowds out. from that point on, I saw very few people - even at the rest stops. Here at the Halter Ranch, I sample some of their wines
P1080822 by NBend, on Flickr

At the ranch I had to snap a photo of the one bike that stood out and made me smile:
P1080823 by NBend, on Flickr

After leaving Halter Ranch, more quiet and beautiful roads take us up to the foot of Cypress Mountain
P1080826 by NBend, on Flickr

Descending Cypress Mountain is as difficult as the climb. the road surface is challenging and steep.
P1080829 by NBend, on Flickr

You have to balance speed and safety by the time you get to the lower reaches, your hands and arms are sore from the braking. Once the hill mellowed out I was spinning along when Tom Ritchey passed by on an unpainted fillet braised bike - he was decked out in a Ritchey kit striking quite an image. He smiled and wished me a good morning before gracefully speeding off for Cambria

I kept my pace instead of trying to accelerate up to Tom to get a photo of him - he was enjoying his ride and I didn’t want to impose my ride on him.

The ride into Cambria is exceedingly Beautiful
P1080830 by NBend, on Flickr

There was little wind and the ride to Cayucos was over before you know it. I sat down, took off my helmet and had something to eat. Later, when I was half way up Santa Rita road, I realized I had left my water bottle back at the rest stop….along with my helmet! Never done that before! Oh well. A volunteer gave me a water bottle at the top of the climb so I was good to go hydration wise to make it back to Paso Robles.

I finished the ride early - about 2:15 and received my prize
P1080840 by NBend, on Flickr

I ran into John Crump (Crumpy) who had just finished the short route a few minutes before - at 82 years he’s a wonder of good health and humor. Some of the folks from CR had surprised him with this jersey that had made up for him, presented on Saturday he was really touched by it.
P1080842 by NBend, on Flickr

Crumpy’s words of wisdom:
P1080843 by NBend, on Flickr

I walked over to the Tent and exchanged my tickets for Dinner and a Beer. I texted reccadr’s DL group letting folks know where I was but did not run into anyone. I ate at the table with Bob Freeman, Jerry, Ann and Bill before riding back to the Adelaide Inn.

I sat outside and had another cool one before packing all 3 bikes in my Honda.

P1080844 by NBend, on Flickr

Last edited by northbend; 04-14-16 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 11:42 AM
northbend 

THE DRIVE HOME

The next morning I drove over to the coast and enjoyed Hwy 1 up to Monterey before turning inland.
Traveling alone you have the luxury of stopping when and where you want.
Like to say hi to the Sleep’n Seals of the Central Coast
P1080850 by NBend, on Flickr

And to sip coffee at places like this
P1080858 by NBend, on Flickr

After a long day of driving I spent the night with my brother in Grass Valley.
Another 2 days of of driving and I was crossing the Columbia river into Washington. I took an easterly route through Oregon and Washington…both beautiful in their own ways in the Springtime. I stopped occasionally to stretch my legs and see interesting sites.

P1080866 by NBend, on Flickr

It was a great to be home from a long road trip.

Think this years Eroica was even better than last year. Certainly more refined. I really enjoyed the Coastal Route. Wes and his army of volunteers did a fantastic job hosting us.

I will be back next year, simplifying things so I can ride more easily on the trip down and back up: Bringing only ONE bike for starters. I’ve a mind to loop back next year through Utah..

Old 04-14-16, 11:57 AM
whatwolf
Unimatrix Zero

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks great Matt! I wish I could have gone this year. Had a few friends doing the long route. Next year I'll get a bike set up for this for sure.
Old 04-14-16, 12:23 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
I'm so envious of your ride. Looks fantastic.
Old 04-14-16, 12:24 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Awesome pics and ride report! Makes me want to think about doing it next year

DD
Old 04-14-16, 12:32 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Since I will probably never do the west coast Eroica, the best part of the event for me are Northbend's write up and pictures.
Old 04-14-16, 02:00 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Glad you stopped to take time to smell the santa rosas, North! Thanks for the story and pics!
Old 04-14-16, 02:11 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
Since I will probably never do the west coast Eroica, the best part of the event for me are Northbend's write up and pictures.
We can organize a ride in Chester & Lancaster county. It ain't no West Coast but it ain't horrible!

Great ride report. What an awesome working vacation!
Old 04-14-16, 02:36 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Wow, not just Eroica, but an entire biking VACATION! Looks like you had a great time with good friends.

You must have started in the group just before me, I think we were released about 6:45. Joe is Joe Spittle, aka kabuki12. We had a chance to chat on Friday afternoon.

Great photos!
Old 04-14-16, 03:26 PM
northbend 

Originally Posted by rccardr
Wow, not just Eroica, but an entire biking VACATION! Looks like you had a great time with good friends.

You must have started in the group just before me, I think we were released about 6:45. Joe is Joe Spittle, aka kabuki12. We had a chance to chat on Friday afternoon.

Great photos!
Thanks Doc, I'm truly sorry I didn't meet you. Hopefully some other time then.

Matt
Old 04-14-16, 03:28 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Thanks for the full tour. For those of us that would have liked to ride but didn't, they're really much appreciated.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 04-14-16, 04:29 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Great pics!!!!!!!!!! (As always)
Old 04-14-16, 05:58 PM
Peugeotlover

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10; '74 Raleigh International; '87 Specialized RockHopper; '88 Specialized StumpJumper; '02 Cannondale Scalpel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
northbend, you are so generous & thoughtful to share your journey. The photos are great, and abundant.
What a treat, thank you so much.
Having lived in Monterey, Big Sur, and on St. Helena Road it stirs up lots of good memories.
Old 04-14-16, 06:09 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
We can organize a ride in Chester & Lancaster county. It ain't no West Coast but it ain't horrible!

Great ride report. What an awesome working vacation!
That sounds like a great idea, if we can not get to Eroica, bring Eroica to us.

Now we just need Northbend to come east with his collection of bikes and chronicle the ride.
Old 04-14-16, 06:49 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Fantastic report! Hope to run into you next year.
Old 04-14-16, 07:34 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
What an enjoyable report - and excellent pictures!

Do you recall what bike the estimable, Mr. Crump was riding? Have been out of touch with him for the most part since we traded bikes several years back. Glad to see he's still going strong.
Old 04-14-16, 08:56 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Cafe Aquatica! A magical place. Did you happen to see a very energetic dog there?

Originally Posted by northbend

Old 04-14-16, 08:57 PM
northbend 

Zorro, I know Crumpy was not riding the Rotrax he'd ridden the year before (I recall this from the dinner party on Saturday where he mentioned it). Not completely certain but I think this year it was a Legnano..
Old 04-14-16, 08:58 PM
northbend 

Hi Gugie! Correct you are! Good food, no energetic dog while we were there..
Old 04-14-16, 09:16 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Great report, northbend. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed the great bicycling routes of wonderful northern California. Next year, perhaps we can drag you out on our Marin County Pre-Eroica ride ("Marinica").
Old 04-14-16, 10:01 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
What gearing did you use? Hoping to make the journey next year, and want to determine if I have something I've left original enough that will be feasible.
Old 04-14-16, 11:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Many thanks, most excellent!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.