Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many “Old guys” actually feel old?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Do you Feel old?
No, I still feel middle aged
45.63%
I feel younger than I look
29.13%
Yes, I definitely feel my age
20.39%
I feel older than my chronological age
7.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

How many “Old guys” actually feel old?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 11:03 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I'll be 62 next month and I feel great! 18 months ago I landed a video production job in a larger company with much younger people. I work mostly at a desk but am up and down the stairs all day. Three days a week there are projects in the field with lots of lights and camera stuff to carry. I hustle with the best of them, and I'm the only one who bikes to work (and year-round rain or snow). I'm up on all the latest computer, sound and camera stuff. Adapting to a new company and learning their ways, and meeting so many new people made me feel even younger.

When I caught COVID I felt physically old for a few weeks. And when I remember people and places now long gone it makes me feel old, as well as remembering how I did my job before computers. Also, while there is still so much "new-ness" to my job, I see the younger folk going through aspects of life and work for the first time that I have experienced many, many times...that makes me feel old. Also when I find out some young co-worker is the same age as my grand-kids it's a quick, reminder of my age.
You reminded me of my last employment. I was surrounded by fellow employees that were 10 to 20 years younger (I bike commuted then). Just being surrounded by young people did a lot to keep me feeling young too as well as keeping up on aspects of life that my generation is clueless (more or less). It felt good and kept me young to be around spunky, energetic, intelligent people. And it was great to be invited by them to go for a run at lunch even though I couldn’t hold a candle to the hard core runners.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-23-23, 06:48 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
......only sometimes when I'm walking up stairs (I feel it in the lower back and hips).
Also, as I'm getting older I swear I'm getting taller because things that have fallen on the floor seem to be so much further away while trying to pick them up.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 12-23-23, 08:53 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I completed a bachelor degree in nursing at age 60 and learned in a Human Growth and Development course that Older Adulthood begins at age 66. That helped me feel like a young member of Middle Adulthood, especially as I was still often playing in traffic on a bicycle riding to work at a downtown hospital. At 73 and retired just shy of five years I realize can't claim middle age status but feel merely Older, not Old. Looks like 2023 total biking mileage will only be 2600, which ain't bad, really. Hey ho, let's go!
Old 12-23-23, 08:58 PM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
72 and ride 5 miles every day the temp is above 55, I don't feel old but when I see a picture of myself or in a mirror I realize I'm getting old.
Old 12-23-23, 09:28 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Who hid the Advil? I was going to remain a perpetual 69, but the wife says she doesn't want people mistaking me for her kid so we're growing old together. Still manage on average 150 miles/week and except for normal aches/pains I can't complain. Still got a week to go and it looks like I'm breaking 7000 miles this year and turning 75. BooYeah!
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-23-23, 09:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Interesting comparison to a user age poll here a year or so ago. Even though a high number of respondents were in the 50-60 and early 70 YO categories, it appears a faire number of people feel far younger. Have no feel for the general public’s thoughts on the manner, but i would imagine that a majority of people who consider themselves athletes or clean eaters would concur. Totally unscientific, total supposition and maybe total BS, but not completely unexpected.

Old 12-23-23, 10:12 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Interesting comparison to a user age poll here a year or so ago. Even though a high number of respondents were in the 50-60 and early 70 YO categories, it appears a faire number of people feel far younger. Have no feel for the general public’s thoughts on the manner, but i would imagine that a majority of people who consider themselves athletes or clean eaters would concur. Totally unscientific, total supposition and maybe total BS, but not completely unexpected.
Agree with everything.
Old 12-23-23, 10:15 PM
Alan K

The poll should have one more category: I look and feel younger than my age.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-23-23, 10:30 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Genetics are everything.
With all due respect,that is not true.

Longevity science has advanced significantly over the past decade or so, and shows that nobody dies of "old age". Everybody who doesn't get killed in an accident (e.g. "Cyclist hit by bus!") dies of age-related diseases (cancer, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, neurogenerative disease [e.g alzheimer's], etc.). Genetics does play a role in increasing susceptibility to those diseases, but it is definitely not the biggest factor. Lifestyle plays a much larger factor in staving off early death due to those diseases. Fortunately, riding bikes is a lifestyle factor that helps in multiple ways, though it's not the only one. Nutrition (especially cutting way back on carbohydrates and eating a Mediterranean diet) is also a massive factor. Another huge factor is having an extensive supportive social network. Apart from these things, there do appear to be a few drugs that help stave office-related diseases. The foremost of these is Rapamycin. There are others, but they do not have the evidence-based proof of efficacy that Rapamycin has.
Old 12-23-23, 11:54 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by davester

Longevity science has advanced significantly over the past decade or so, and shows that nobody dies of "old age". Everybody who doesn't get killed in an accident (e.g. "Cyclist hit by bus!") dies of age-related diseases (cancer, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, neurogenerative disease [e.g alzheimer's], etc.). Genetics does play a role in increasing susceptibility to those diseases, but it is definitely not the biggest factor. Lifestyle plays a much larger factor in staving off early death due to those diseases. Fortunately, riding bikes is a lifestyle factor that helps in multiple ways, though it's not the only one. Nutrition (especially cutting way back on carbohydrates and eating a Mediterranean diet) is also a massive factor. Another huge factor is having an extensive supportive social network. Apart from these things, there do appear to be a few drugs that help stave office-related diseases. The foremost of these is Rapamycin. There are others, but they do not have the evidence-based proof of efficacy that Rapamycin has.
Please elaborate on what are office-related diseases and what role an immunosuppressive agent plays.

As for distinction about dying of old age versus dying due to age-related diseases, I’m sure that no one thinks that at a certain age, a person simply drops dead without any reason.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-24-23, 12:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Alan K
The poll should have one more category: I look and feel younger than my age.
Good catch!! Happens with every poll. One category is unfortunately missed.

However I do look, feel and act younger than my age group. <-Non-humble brag. I see some males my age and say, Good God, what happened to him/them?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-24-23, 12:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Blue Zone studies have validated most of what you have written. I find it interesting that all of us have genetic switches, as it were, that can remain dormant or be ‘flipped on’ due to external triggers. These may be environmental, psychological - stress hormones, dietary, drug abuse, exercise, etc. Flip the wrong switch and you may go down the dark rabbit hole.

Old 12-24-23, 12:36 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts

It depends on how much of your nutrition [calories] comes from carbohydrates. If it’s less than 30% or more than 70%, that’s less healthy. The healthiest groups get about half their nutrition [calories] from carbs.

Last edited by terrymorse; 12-24-23 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-24-23, 12:53 AM
Alan K

Blue Zone studies have validated most of what you have written. I find it interesting that all of us have genetic switches, as it were, that can remain dormant or be ‘flipped on’ due to external triggers. These may be environmental, psychological - stress hormones, dietary, drug abuse, exercise, etc. Flip the wrong switch and you may go down the dark rabbit hole.
As long as it is not excessive bicycling (or owning too many bicycles), it’s all good!

The switch “theory” to my simple mind, is yet another theory, not quite yet completely disproven. In my life time, I have seen many good sounding theories come and disappear.- some took longer than others.
The main problem with many/ most is the the person(group) proposing the theory gets so single-tracked that they try to elevate their baby over all else. Free radical (ROS) is one of those things… many people are beginning to come to their senses about it.
Before it, there was cholesterol hoopla… and many more.
Of course, completely unregulated industry of “food additives/supplements” is only too quick to run with it all the way to bank.

There have been some interesting observations about mTor inhibitors (Rapamycin and it’s other analogs) among subjects of renal transplantation but it’s not as simple as it’s proponents will have you believe - Rapamycin and live longer!
I imagine if it wasn’t something that is already regulated by the FDA, you friendly food supplement store would already have it labeled as Elixir of Life for Immortality. 😉
Old 12-24-23, 01:04 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by terrymorse
It depends on how much of your nutrition comes from carbohydrates. If it’s less than 30% or more than 70%, that’s less healthy. The healthiest groups get about half their nutrition from carbs.
Yes, but I would rephrase to say calories… nutrition is slightly more complicated.

Sometimes ideas get misunderstood to the point that even people who should know better, start making the error masses do.
We have been routinely hearing praises of Mediterranean diet… well, it wasn’t the magical diet, it was their “life-style” of decades ago which kept them healthier than others.
Old 12-24-23, 07:24 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Yes, at 84yo, I am feeling 84. Perhaps it is because my wife (86yo) is having multiple medical issues, and for a while there I was providing, literally, 24/7 care. Total exhaustion! I am finally getting back into some routines - strength, stretching, but cycling is way in the future, if at all. I am feeling some balance problems in my walking, and I did some PT before my wife's medical issues, which helped the walking. She is stable - hoping the treatments will help. Lots of my friends are dying - perhaps 1-2 per month. That doesn't help. I never felt my age until this year. Edit - got out for 30 minutes of bicycling and it was great!
Now 71. I spent most of 2022 providing 24/7 home hospice care for my wife (she passed from cancer) and did very little riding, or much of anything else, for that matter. It is exhausting, but a labor of love.
I've found that it's much more difficult to get back into shape now. At this age, it seems like a "use it or lose it" scenario. I'm determined to get back into some sort of conditioning. I know I'll never be as fast as I once was, nor capable of covering the distances I did. A lifetime of working in the auto repair field has taken a toll on my lower back, and arthritis is settling into my hands. A knee, severely injured in 1976, has finally just about worn out, but I'm putting off the replacement surgery for as long as I can. My neighbor, who is 10 years younger, rides with me on his e-bike. It's funny, he's always chasing me on the flats (sometimes I think he's just drafting to save his battery!) and I'm chasing him on the climbs.
On the plus side, when I filled out my forms at the pharmacy to get my flu shot and Covid booster this year, the pharmacy tech did a double take and told me I didn't look my age. Like an old car that has just been detailed, it looks good on the outside, but just don't lift the hood!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-24-23, 08:37 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Now 71. I spent most of 2022 providing 24/7 home hospice care for my wife (she passed from cancer) and did very little riding, or much of anything else, for that matter. It is exhausting, but a labor of love.
I've found that it's much more difficult to get back into shape now. At this age, it seems like a "use it or lose it" scenario. I'm determined to get back into some sort of conditioning. I know I'll never be as fast as I once was, nor capable of covering the distances I did. A lifetime of working in the auto repair field has taken a toll on my lower back, and arthritis is settling into my hands. A knee, severely injured in 1976, has finally just about worn out, but I'm putting off the replacement surgery for as long as I can. My neighbor, who is 10 years younger, rides with me on his e-bike. It's funny, he's always chasing me on the flats (sometimes I think he's just drafting to save his battery!) and I'm chasing him on the climbs.
On the plus side, when I filled out my forms at the pharmacy to get my flu shot and Covid booster this year, the pharmacy tech did a double take and told me I didn't look my age. Like an old car that has just been detailed, it looks good on the outside, but just don't lift the hood!
sorry for your loss. my wife has been fighting the fight since the beginning of 2020 we always say 2020 worst year ever....cancer sux. get your knee done asap. you will heal better at 71 than at 75.....keep on keeping...
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-24-23, 09:38 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
biking can help you keep ‘young’

in many ways
Old 12-24-23, 12:08 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I am 77. There are times in life when I feel "older" but I don't really think of age generally. On the bike I never feel old. I don't climb well and I'm never going to average 20 mph on my particular local route as I did on my 50th birthday. I'd be lucky to do 16 mph. OTOH, I'm also 15 lbs heaver than age 50. When it comes down to it, I don't really care..
Old 12-24-23, 01:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

As I have said once before, a bicycle is a Time Machine. And it happens to be in more ways than one.

Old 12-24-23, 02:10 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by t2p
biking can help you keep ‘young’

in many ways
Combining swimming with bicycling will keep you younger in few more ways than many.
Old 12-24-23, 02:13 PM
Alan K

As I have said once before, a bicycle is a Time Machine. And it happens to be in more ways than one.
A Time Machine that has the capability of working both ways - use it wisely and not push the wrong switch to get nailed by a door - and end up way too far in the future.

Had a good day… with 18 mile ride!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-24-23, 02:24 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Combining swimming with bicycling will keep you younger in few more ways than many.
Why I joined the local Y-operated indoor pool a month ago.

Over a decade has passed since I last had access to an indoor poll at the Park District where I lived in Illinois. The pool here's just been open (again) the last couple of years, not as big but clean & well-managed. I'm switching my work schedule starting next month so I can get an hour's swimming in before I punch it @ 9 AM a couple, maybe three days a week.
Old 12-24-23, 02:37 PM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
I kept feeling old ever since I overheard a neighbor visiting my home during the festivities of my birthday party, asking my parents the question, "is he 1-year old now?"
Old 12-24-23, 02:55 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by spclark
Why I joined the local Y-operated indoor pool a month ago.

Over a decade has passed since I last had access to an indoor poll at the Park District where I lived in Illinois. The pool here's just been open (again) the last couple of years, not as big but clean & well-managed. I'm switching my work schedule starting next month so I can get an hour's swimming in before I punch it @ 9 AM a couple, maybe three days a week.
An excellent plan!

Alternate days 1.5 to 2 miles swimming works wonders. 👌

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.