Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How many “Old guys” actually feel old?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Do you Feel old?
No, I still feel middle aged
45.63%
I feel younger than I look
29.13%
Yes, I definitely feel my age
20.39%
I feel older than my chronological age
7.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

How many “Old guys” actually feel old?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 12:58 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
76 years old and still ride 20 to 25 miles three times a week, alternating with 3 to 4 mile hilly walks on other days, plus on my feet eight hours one day a week as a bike mechanic. I am not fast but I do try to push myself on much of my typical ride especially on the outward stretch.

I have no idea of how old I should feel as I have never been this old before, but there is no doubt that things are harder to recover from than they were five years ago, and, although I don't time my rides, a bit slower.

I am probably fitter and heathier than most people of my age according to my GP because older people generally do not do a lot of exercise, but "feel" is a strange concept to describe when comparing oneself to others as I do not know how others "feel" or how it can be assessed objectively. Undoubtedly there are people my age who would like to feel as young/old as I do and others who would regard it as a step backwards. I just try to enjoy the times I feel good and work through the times I don't.
Likes For Gerryattrick:
Old 01-03-24, 03:36 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
51 here, so still not really old.

Physically I feel great. Probably the best shape of my life.

Mentally I’m effing smoked.

Been at my job for 30+ years. I had kids later in life, love em to death, but I’m tired - one in college, one doing college tours all over creation, one 12 year old boy.

Over extended time wise in things I have to take care of - 4 cars, 8 bikes, camper/boat/house - plus trying to ride 6-8 hours per week minimum…

Ive heard that people spend the first 1/2 of life acquiring stuff, and the second 1/2 purging. I’m entering the purge phase.
There's that whole concept of "Swedish Death Cleaning" - ostensibly getting rid of stuff while you still can, to minimize the hassle for your loved-ones after you're gone - but I think it's really about uncomplicating your life. I've been slowly getting rid of stuff, with the ultimate (albeit unlikely) goal of having one "good" example of everything (I'm only 60, so not planning for death any time soon, but heading toward retirement and relocation with a minimum of "stuff"). I've got two bikes, two watches, three guitars, one camera + lenses. It's a slow process, but it actually feels great to get rid of something I don't really need.
Old 01-03-24, 03:52 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
There's that whole concept of "Swedish Death Cleaning" - ostensibly getting rid of stuff while you still can, to minimize the hassle for your loved-ones after you're gone - but I think it's really about uncomplicating your life. I've been slowly getting rid of stuff, with the ultimate (albeit unlikely) goal of having one "good" example of everything (I'm only 60, so not planning for death any time soon, but heading toward retirement and relocation with a minimum of "stuff"). I've got two bikes, two watches, three guitars, one camera + lenses. It's a slow process, but it actually feels great to get rid of something I don't really need.
man with two watches never know what time it is.........true story....the day I retired I stopped wearing a watch and have not put one back on even for an hour....
Old 01-03-24, 03:56 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
man with two watches never know what time it is.........true story....the day I retired I stopped wearing a watch and have not put one back on even for an hour....
The counterpoint: man with two quartz watches always knows what time it is, within a few seconds
I love the idea of just ditching a watch, but even when I'm retired, I'll still need a watch so I'm not late to group rides.....
Old 01-04-24, 11:44 AM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
The counterpoint: man with two quartz watches always knows what time it is, within a few seconds
I love the idea of just ditching a watch, but even when I'm retired, I'll still need a watch so I'm not late to group rides.....
Stopped wearing watches when I got my first pager. Never missed it. But I started back up when I got my first Pebble smart watch - which paradoxically helped me to use my smartphone less. These days I wear a Garmin for the fitness tracking and use as a cyclometer. Sometimes I'll even use it to check the time.
Old 01-12-24, 12:12 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I've never kept stats or even cared. I ride to enjoy it, not to compare myself to some mythical standards. At 71, after 50 years of cycling, I've noticed that I need more rest than in the past. That's it. It takes a little longer to recuperate from strains and overexertion, so I just get more rest. I still take several 3-5 day trips on my bike each year and average about 100 miles a week year 'round, in Michigan.

My 71st birthday.

Marc
Likes For irwin7638:
Old 01-12-24, 12:42 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
Approximately an hour....
Old 01-12-24, 07:30 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I've never kept stats or even cared. I ride to enjoy it, not to compare myself to some mythical standards. At 71, after 50 years of cycling, I've noticed that I need more rest than in the past. That's it. It takes a little longer to recuperate from strains and overexertion, so I just get more rest. I still take several 3-5 day trips on my bike each year and average about 100 miles a week year 'round, in Michigan.

My 71st birthday.

Marc
That's pretty impressive for Michigan. Good on you!
Old 01-13-24, 04:40 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I do today after shoveling a foot of snow off my driveway and sidewalk.
Old 01-13-24, 05:11 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I do today after shoveling a foot of snow off my driveway and sidewalk.
I did the driveway and short walk to front door yesterday after work, so I could get my car into the garage, about 8" worth.

This morning it looked like nothing out front had been touched -

- so I cleared it again (6 more inches on driveway) then the 50' doublewide drive. And the 30" deep, 48" wide plow berm at the curb.

Then I shoveled off the foot+ of snow on back porch, but had to pile it on the steps 'cause there's nowhere I can throw it after the snow from earlier in the week got pushed off.

I don't feel old today but my left shoulder is telling me "ENOUGH OF THAT" so I'll leave what's left (the 6' pile off the back porch steps) for tomorrow.

Transparency in action: I have a small TORO 4-stroke 'pusher' otherwise I'd just let the snow stay where it falls.

Single stage, I have to push it by hand but the rest of the 'relocating' is done by its rubber paddles. Does a nice job too, and starts just fine with one pull on the recoil starter. I suffered for 15 years with an older 2-stroke TORO (STINKS!!), burned out two starters before I decided it was time to just recycle it for bike frames.

Last edited by spclark; 01-13-24 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-14-24, 06:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Related to yet another thread the OP started, how many old guys are still getting "busy?"
Old 01-14-24, 07:02 AM
spclark 

Originally Posted by seypat
Related to yet another thread the OP started, how many old guys are still getting "busy?"
Define "busy" please.

I try hard to stay 'busy' most of my waking hours. I think my mind stays 'busy' too much the rest of the time.

More important – to my way of thinking at least – is to keep moving, doing something to stay engaged, attentive, occupied.
Old 01-14-24, 07:16 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
"Busy" would mean being able to get it up and have sex. The OP started a poll in general about doing one(cycling) or the other, but not both.
Old 01-14-24, 07:45 AM
spclark 

Originally Posted by seypat
The OP started a poll in general about doing one(cycling) or the other, but not both.
Oh... yeah, I recall seeing that threadwhen it appeared but I hadn't started in reading it just yet. Thanks for pointing out something I've apparently overlooked....
Old 01-14-24, 01:24 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I would also say I feel very grateful to be doing ok. My doctor reminded me last month that it is both a degree of good luck so far plus a lifetime of good choices including habitual exercise.

Otto
Old 01-14-24, 01:44 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I've felt my age recently, as sciatica has limited my physical activities. Aches and soreness showing up in new places - left hip, right shoulder. Ibuprofen, acetomenaphin, and heat are managing the original pain, but not enough to get me moving normally again. When it's bad I can't even walk a hundred yards without stopping. Feels like I'm teetering on an edge; I need to get back moving and soon.

I have to wonder if this is typical for 63 y/o people who are sedentary.
Old 01-14-24, 02:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I've felt my age recently, as sciatica has limited my physical activities. Aches and soreness showing up in new places - left hip, right shoulder. Ibuprofen, acetomenaphin, and heat are managing the original pain, but not enough to get me moving normally again. When it's bad I can't even walk a hundred yards without stopping. Feels like I'm teetering on an edge; I need to get back moving and soon.

I have to wonder if this is typical for 63 y/o people who are sedentary.
Sciatica really sucks. Had it and it was miserable. I ended up getting a steroid injection deep in my hip (ultrasound guided) which just about provided instant relief. It probably won’t work for everyone, but it is well worth looking into - consult your physician to see if it’s an option.

Old 01-14-24, 08:59 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Sciatica really sucks. Had it and it was miserable. I ended up getting a steroid injection deep in my hip (ultrasound guided) which just about provided instant relief. It probably won’t work for everyone, but it is well worth looking into - consult your physician to see if it’s an option.
Telehealth appointment Tuesday. New year, new health plan. We'll see how that goes.
Old 01-15-24, 11:53 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Im 85, and look and feel like Im 65. I feel very fortunate. In the summer time I ride anywhere from 20 to 35 miles every other day.

My doctor even tells me I am in the 99th percentile for an 85 year old.

I have even picked my demise, found laying on the side of the bike path cooling out at the age of 102!!!!
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-15-24, 01:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638

My 71st birthday. Marc
Did you buy the Hunqapillar new?
I think it is an unproven fact that Riv buyers have: a. higher expectation of the usage + b. belief in longevity of their machines. Two qualities found in balanced, long lived humans, as well.

you should submit that pic to Riv - almost guaranteed GP would show it somewhere, emblematic of his philosophy at your (our) age. Especially with the smile.
Roll On.

edit: Never owned a Riv. But almost - back when a Bay Area resident, who visited their premises. And, after seeing my tourer, was fitted on a 63cm frame, that was too large, IMHO. But I listened.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-15-24 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-16-24, 03:49 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Yes, I did buy it new. I had it powdercoated a couple of years ago, after many miles touring on a variety of bad roads, it's a blast.
Old 01-17-24, 02:41 PM
Timberwolf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm now 3 weeks away from 75.

I started ride again 2 years ago after a 56 year hiatus, and yes I made mistakes like forgetting to put my feet down at a stop.

The bike I bought is a Devinci Blackbird MTB and I love it.

I built a light heavyweight bike in 1962 and put a fixed wheel on it. 48 tooth chainring and a 12 tooth cob - 4:1.

I enjoy riding with my wife, Grandsons and my Step Daughter and her Husband.

I need 2 knee replacements, but cortizone injections are doing a great job. The cycling is relatively easy on them.
Likes For Timberwolf:
Old 01-29-24, 03:53 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH
At 76, I think of myself as a thirty year old with a terminal illness that will probably kill me in ten years. Ambitious enough to worry about being too aggressive and getting into trouble at work. Healthy enough that a bike is my primary form of ground transportation. Curious enough to be immersed in completing my PhD.
Thank you, I’m going to remember that.

at least I hope to remember it.
Old 01-29-24, 06:43 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG

at least I hope to remember it.

Old 02-04-24, 04:08 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
At age 61, I felt better than when in my 40's. After back problems and getting back into coaching HS basketball, at 66 I feel at least that old. Making changes soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.