Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Was Anyone Else a Paperboy?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Was Anyone Else a Paperboy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 02:33 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
From 11 to 14, I saved up some and bought my first lbs bike before I quit the route.
Old 12-11-23, 03:40 PM
Mike_Z

Bikes: Bianchi Sport SS, Bianchi Tangent, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn Super Le Tour, Schwinn Le Tour, IRO Fixie, Schwinn beach cruisers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
never had my own route, but I filled in for a couple of friends when they went on summer vacations.
Likes For Mike_Z:
Old 12-12-23, 04:15 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Not a neighborhood route, but in late 1950's, my H.S. friend had news racks in SW Los Angeles (Redondo Beach & Torrance) from 5-7 AM. Paper was the Long Beach Independent. Coin boxes meant no collection deadbeats. Racks were chained to telephone poles, light poles, bus benches or other paper's racks in front of stores. I did the route while he was on vacation. Only excitement was at a rack in front of a Liquor store one morning. The alarm was going off, store glass was broken out. Sped to a nearby cop hangout, reported burglary & finished route. Guess who became suspects? Don
Old 12-30-23, 09:14 PM
Eddy_G 

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Salsa Journeyman Apex

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Wow! I haven't thought about that for a long time!
I had a paper route in 1977,78, and part of 1979.
I carried my papers in a big double bag. The kind that had big pouches in front and back for rolled newspapers.
I usually rode my BMX bike.
When the weather was really bad, my Mother drove me in her Pontiac LeMans Sport Coupe.
I remember one morning tearing the wrapping open on a bundle of newspapers to start rolling them, and there was the headline...Elvis Is Dead.
Old 12-31-23, 01:00 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I had a friend who was a paper boy. I rode his routes with him many times and filled in when his family hauled him away for summer vacations. No lie, it was WORK.
Old 12-31-23, 02:23 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I just ran across this thread and it brought back memories. I had a Raleigh 3 speed with a double basket on the back and a large basket on the front, I think my route was about 80 customers.

Old 01-01-24, 04:43 PM
randywall

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes, I had a route that required me to have saddlebags over the banana seat, and a handlebar bag, on Sunday mornings, though weekdays I didn't need the handlebar bag, which I hated because of how hard steering was with it on. I liked the early morning ride when hardly anyone else was up yet.
Old 01-02-24, 09:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Never wondered if there was a correlation between frequent cycling due to a paper route (versus frequent cycling just for transportation) but I was always on my bike growing up .... and now, still not grown up, I still ride.
Old 01-04-24, 04:47 PM
Groasters

Bikes: Too many bikes to mention, steel, alumium, carbon, titanium, solo, tandem, road, TT, CX. . .

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Hello from Scotland...

My paper round years were important times in developing my superb bike handling skills!

Especially on frosty Sunday mornings, negotiating hilly streets on my single speed with cowhorn handlebars while carrying a canvas single strap bag full of extra heavy papers which included all the extra Sunday supplements! Allowing a child to carry such colossal weights would get the shop proprietor prosecuted nowadays! If I look carefully I can still see the indentation from the strap on my left collar bone!

Happy memories of character-building times!! 😁
Likes For Groasters: