Houston area Rides

Old 05-27-14, 09:02 PM
datsme40

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek 7.2 FX, Specialized Tricross Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can confirm that is the best way to connect the GBP and Mason Creek Greenway. I live just west of Mason and this makes for a viable commute for me into the Beltway. it's a little long to do every day, but I'm trying to work up to 3x a week. You know, if I didn't work so much, I could ride more... but then not afford the bikes....

Old 05-30-14, 11:46 AM
rpecot

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datsme40
Just wanted to say hi from out in Katy. Found this sight a while back, but only found the Texas forum last week. First season riding (started in the fall) and did several of the rides mentioned, including the MS150.

Was wondering if any of you road with the Bike Barn or Bicycle World on their saturday rides. I'm still new and would probably be in the 'no drop' group at least to start. Still working on dropping weight so I can get up to the pace groups.
Katy here too. I haven't done any of the shop rides, but I've been thinking of giving it a try. I live west of 99 so when I ride, I'm usually on the same roads anyway; Fulshear, Brookshire, Foster, etc. I mostly ride on my own. It would be nice to get more group riding in (and take advantage of some draft )

I bought a new Garmin GPS right before the MS150 and discovered a cool feature on the Garmin Connect website.... heatmaps. If you go to the site and explore courses, be sure to turn on that feature. It will show you where the popular routes are. Pretty cool. I don't think you need a GPS to view online.

Originally Posted by the sci guy
Also, anyone thinking of doing the katy flatland century ride? Katy Flatland Century Ride
I think i might sign up for the metric century - 63 miles.
I haven't signed up yet, but I'm 98% sure I'm going to do the full century. The start is right around the corner from my house. I'll probably just ride on over.
Old 05-30-14, 11:51 AM
rpecot

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can confirm that is the best way to connect the GBP and Mason Creek Greenway. I live just west of Mason and this makes for a viable commute for me into the Beltway. it's a little long to do every day, but I'm trying to work up to 3x a week. You know, if I didn't work so much, I could ride more... but then not afford the bikes....

Not so much for me. I take Highland Knolls in from 99. Mason Creek angles too far towards I-10 to be convenient. I ridden on Fry a few times, but that's just a little too crazy.
Old 05-30-14, 07:28 PM
datsme40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that Fry is too crazy. I"m not that far from the NW end of the Mason Creek greenway, so it's convenient.

I connect to Terry Hershey, so I've found alternate routes that skip the bulk of GBP and take subdivision trails between mason, fry and barker cypress. You have to get on back streets when you get close to Barker Cypress, but it hooks up with the levy path on the north side of GBP. Saves 3-4 miles from the commute.
Old 05-30-14, 07:29 PM
datsme40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was also hoping to do the Katy Flatlands this summer, but my family reunion up in Wisconsin is that weekend.

I'm targetting working up to a century for the Tour de Cure - Houston on Sept 20th.
Old 05-31-14, 10:27 PM
taxlord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any good weekly rides around memorial?
Old 06-01-14, 10:04 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Not that I know of - but then I don't know everything. I'd suggest checking meetup.com - I'm a member of one of the groups there that announces some weekly club rides.

Also, we should all just meet up at THP/GHP one day and ride together. Isn't that what the point of this whole forum is anyway? lol
Old 06-08-14, 11:14 PM
taxlord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not that I know of - but then I don't know everything. I'd suggest checking meetup.com - I'm a member of one of the groups there that announces some weekly club rides.

Also, we should all just meet up at THP/GHP one day and ride together. Isn't that what the point of this whole forum is anyway? lol
That sounds great! I'm only in town for 3 more weeks but it would be great to ride with some people!
Old 06-09-14, 06:38 AM
txags92

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bicycle world and fitness at dairy Ashford and memorial has some group rides, but I have never ridden with them and have no idea how they are.
Old 06-11-14, 08:26 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

if their rides are anything like their store, i wouldn't bother. we dislike it there. for all the employees they have working there none of them a worth anything. they don't help you, and frankly, i don't care for their selection of products.
Old 06-12-14, 02:17 PM
Bmil128

Bikes: Trek X Caliber 8 (2014); Raleigh M50 (2004)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if their rides are anything like their store, i wouldn't bother. we dislike it there. for all the employees they have working there none of them a worth anything. they don't help you, and frankly, i don't care for their selection of products.
Agreed. They did a bike rodeo for my daughter's Girl Scout troop and supposedly were going to do a safety inspection on all the girls' bikes, all I saw them do was air up one tire and make sure everyone had on a helmet. Honestly I'd rather go to Sun and Ski at Katy Mills than either of the LBS in Katy and that's saying a lot.

On a different note I ride a 29er since I like going wherever I want and I would look like the Michelin man if I wore spandex on a road bike; I saw the Katy Flatland ride is coming up and thought of possibly riding one of the shorter segments, am I crazy to attempt this. I can manage a decent pace with the lockout engaged.
Old 06-12-14, 06:48 PM
Glowgirl

Bikes: Felt Verza Path 2 Women's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmil128
Agreed. They did a bike rodeo for my daughter's Girl Scout troop and supposedly were going to do a safety inspection on all the girls' bikes, all I saw them do was air up one tire and make sure everyone had on a helmet. Honestly I'd rather go to Sun and Ski at Katy Mills than either of the LBS in Katy and that's saying a lot.

On a different note I ride a 29er since I like going wherever I want and I would look like the Michelin man if I wore spandex on a road bike; I saw the Katy Flatland ride is coming up and thought of possibly riding one of the shorter segments, am I crazy to attempt this. I can manage a decent pace with the lockout engaged.
That's so funny that y'all think that. My husband and I feel exactly the same, and I really wish we hadn't bought our bikes from Bicycle World. If Bike Barn isn't good either, is there a decent LBS on the west side?
Old 06-13-14, 10:37 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by Glowgirl
That's so funny that y'all think that. My husband and I feel exactly the same, and I really wish we hadn't bought our bikes from Bicycle World. If Bike Barn isn't good either, is there a decent LBS on the west side?
I haven't been to the Bike Barn in Katy (though I think I've heard some negative things before), but the Bike Barn on Westheimer at Wilcrest (near Tollway 8) is very good. I've been there many, many times for even just something as simple as CO2 cartridges, and the guys are always friendly, and helpful, or ask if I need help, or just chit chat. I've bought shoes, a helmet, and countless other little things from that store, and the staff was always super. I can't remember the name of the guy who is the manager, but he is often out on the floor also being super helpful. I brought my bike there to get inspected for the MS150 (free) and it was cake - the guy in back even complimented me on my Cross-Check when he brought it back out to me.

The Bicycle World on Memorial is the closest shop to our apartment, but we never go there. That Bike Barn is 2nd closest so we go there for quick stuff. West End Bikes is our main shop, though. Place is just awesome - it's everything you'd imagine and want a bike shop to be. The guys are phenomenal, they offer some really excellent choice bikes, and they have a lot of other great gear. It's where my wife and I both bought our bikes. It's a little further away, but worth the slightly longer drive hands down.

I'll also throw a shout-out to Urban Bicycle Gallery which is off Shepard - near West End Bikes. The guys at West End referred me to them for the project bike I am currently working on because they didn't have the parts I needed, and UBG was also a really neat shop. One of the guys helped me for about an hour, answering my questions, giving me suggestions, looking up and ordering parts, etc, and he was patient and friendly the whole time. They have some really cool niche bikes there too (single speeds/fixies, folding, etc) which I've not seen anywhere else. Definitely work a visit too.

Don't be afraid to drive a little further for the better experience.
Old 06-13-14, 12:04 PM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Other direction, but I can also vouch for Bike Lane up just past Spring on the north side. I shopped around for my first bike in March, hitting every bike shop within 15 miles of home, and Bike Lane was head and shoulders above the rest in bending over backwards to get my business, and keep it.
Old 06-13-14, 12:25 PM
Bmil128

Bikes: Trek X Caliber 8 (2014); Raleigh M50 (2004)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't want to hijack this thread and make it about rating the LBS but had to chime in. The only Bike Barn where anyone gave me the time of day and didn't seem like I was wasting theirs is the one on Weslayan.

I will second Urban Bicycle Gallery, I bought my first Raleigh 29er there and got a great deal on a close out model but by my own decision probably bought a frame one size too small, it was the only one they had left.

When I upgraded to my Trek I went to Spring Valley Cycles off Echo Ln & I-10, they had to order the size and color I wanted but I got a good deal and great service there too.
Old 06-23-14, 12:29 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Well, GBP was finally passable on Saturday, though it was a muddy slimy mess, and smelled awful. And now it's pouring again. Sigh.
Old 06-25-14, 01:20 PM
Mindcrime

Bikes: 2018 Diamondback Podium Equipe Dura Ace Disc, 2013 Felt z85 (now a frankenbike,) 1994 Serotta Colorado TG, 1999 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2017 State Undefeated II Track Bike, 2005 Litespeed Tuscany project

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So, anyone riding in the Burn Your Buns charity ride up in Conroe on the 4th? I'm a newish cyclist, on my 3rd month. This will be my first ride with other human beings, never done anything but solo rides. I'm going to be doing the 31 mile ride (I hope!) It will be my longest ride, but only by a few miles.

The route shows about 400 ft of elevation, so hopefully the hills aren't too bad.

Anyone ridden in past years events? I'm hoping I won't be dead last with around a 12-13 mph average on a hybrid, not a roadie.
Old 06-25-14, 01:24 PM
jefft72

Bikes: Giant TCR, 03 Haro V3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw someone reference this ride yesterday and had not heard about it prior to that. I have plans to be in Livingston for the 4th and am highly considering driving to Conroe that morning for the ride.
Old 06-27-14, 10:36 PM
datsme40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmil128
I didn't want to hijack this thread and make it about rating the LBS but ...
Ive had really good service at Bicycle World Katy. I cant speak to the Memorial location, but the guys out here are great to work with and Ive gotten great service.

I bought my first bike at Bike Barn in Katy. I wont go back because i feel like im assaulted by the high pressure sales and insulted by their high brow think they know it alls.

My last bike i picked up at West End Bikes. They had a great selection and were excellent to work with. I wish they were closer to the far west side.
Old 06-28-14, 08:35 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

My last bike i picked up at West End Bikes. They had a great selection and were excellent to work with. I wish they were closer to the far west side.

Was there today. Picked up my wife's bike they were putting new brakes and levers on, and I picked up a set of clips and straps for my pedals. Guys there are so awesome, and IMO they are one of the best stocked LBS around with tons of accessories and little things.

And more than just the typical Specialized and Trek bikes you can find everywhere. They have Moots, All-City, Salsa, Surly, Handsome...
West End is the best.

Last edited by the sci guy; 06-28-14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-13-14, 08:53 PM
msd3075

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpecot
I haven't signed up yet, but I'm 98% sure I'm going to do the full century. The start is right around the corner from my house. I'll probably just ride on over.

Sorry for the late reply, but my buddy and I just signed up for the Katy Flatlands this afternoon. We are planning to do the 62 mile route. If you see a "bigger" guy in tie-dye St. Arnold jersey on a white Fuji, that's me.

Never done this ride before, but looking forward to it. Haven't done an organized ride since the MS150.
Old 09-06-14, 04:34 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Anyone else get an email from the Cy-Fair Lions club for the Bike For Sight ride on October 5th? Thinking of doing the 64 miler.
https://www.bikereg.com/lions-biking-for-sight-2013
its up in the Conroe area. I think close to where I did he Ravens Revenge ride.
Old 09-19-14, 07:35 AM
Mindcrime

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tour De Cure is this Saturday the 20th. I'm riding, signed up for the 47 mile route, but I might do the metric century instead depending on the weather and how my legs/back feel that morning. I'll be the big guy in the Beef Team jersey, say hi if you're riding and pass me!
Old 09-19-14, 01:34 PM
Dlcrouch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be there with the KBR team. Hope I don't bonk on the 67 mi. course.
Old 02-06-15, 11:25 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I know it's late but Pedaling the Prairie is tomorrow morning. Anyone going? I'll be there as part of the MS150 training series. The wife is going to do the 24, I'm going to shoot for the 45. Just look for the green cross check with yellow bar tape!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.