Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Should I treat my bike to upgrades? 5800 105?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Should I treat my bike to upgrades? 5800 105?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-15, 05:45 PM
Alias530
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Where can you get an 11 speed Ultegra bike for $1000?

Also, Merlin has 11 speed wheels for $115

Shimano RS11 Road Wheels - Pair | Merlin Cycles

and 5800 group for $384

Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset Black OEM | Merlin Cycles

So that's a $499 investment with free shipping. LBS might charge another $150 to install but watching some youtube videos and $30 worth of specialized tools and OP can do it himself.

Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset Black OEM | Merlin Cycles
"Practically" is the operative word. Spending a grand on a bike worth $200 is dumb, that was my point. Also, spending $400+labor to get newer 105 is also stupid. They'll charge you the same amount whether it's Sora or Dura Ace so you might as well make it an upgrade.

And those wheels are probably a downgrade. My point was, for it to be an actual upgrade you'd want ultegra 6800 and ultegra wheels. Which would be about a grand.
Old 02-22-15, 06:43 PM
mbw

Bikes: 18’ Trek Domane SLR, 06’ Trek 1500

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I spent $1k and got wheels and 5800, I'd feel like this was a pretty nice setup. However people are saying my bike is worth $200. I'd have to spend quite a bit more to get a new bike with 5800 and nice wheels though too.

Well, thanks for the input. I'm not sure what I will do.
Old 02-22-15, 07:39 PM
BoJaffa

Bikes: 2001 Trek 5900, Trek Madone 3.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is worth more than 200 bucks to you. The frame appears to be in pretty good shape. You like it and it fits well I assume. Get the groupset and proper wheels. Make sure you order all the correct parts for example crank arm length and clamp diameter for the front derailuer.
Old 02-22-15, 07:45 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A parting thought. Next fall, 5800 will be in its second year so you'll find leftover 2014 models. I've run all the groupsets and you will get more.bang for your buck in wheels. Nothing makes a bike come back to life like a set of lightening fast wheels. Components are for show, wheels are for go.
Old 02-22-15, 07:51 PM
Alias530
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
A parting thought. Next fall, 5800 will be in its second year so you'll find leftover 2014 models. I've run all the groupsets and you will get more.bang for your buck in wheels. Nothing makes a bike come back to life like a set of lightening fast wheels. Components are for show, wheels are for go.
I can't imagine you'll see big differences in price from 2014 5800 vs 2015 5800. They don't do model years like bike frames. They might tweak it and call it 5801, in which case 5800 might be cheaper, but otherwise it'll likely be the same.
Old 02-22-15, 08:48 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Where are you located that you require a triple? I'm hoping you don't need a triple to ride your trainer.

If you like your frame and just want to refresh the groupset, go for it. I've done that a bunch of times and it's a great way to reinvigorate your fondness for a particular bike. The decision you'll have to make is whether you want to replace the wheels too, because 11 spd is different. Or maybe you'll get lucky and find a 10 spd 105 triple groupset out there.
Old 02-22-15, 08:49 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
newbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbikenewbike+++++++++++
Old 02-22-15, 09:05 PM
mbw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Where are you located that you require a triple? I'm hoping you don't need a triple to ride your trainer.

If you like your frame and just want to refresh the groupset, go for it. I've done that a bunch of times and it's a great way to reinvigorate your fondness for a particular bike. The decision you'll have to make is whether you want to replace the wheels too, because 11 spd is different. Or maybe you'll get lucky and find a 10 spd 105 triple groupset out there.
I live in Iowa, which isn't crazy, rolling hills mostly, but I live in Dubuque which is all hills/bluffs. It is in the 'driftless region' in NE Iowa near Wisconsin/Illinois where the icebergs sort of missed in the last ice age, so we have hills. I'd just like to have the same gear range, not necessarily a triple. I had to learn about all these new fangled 11 speed things today. If you want to learn about Iowa landscape, come ride RAGBRAI with me. (week long ride across Iowa, west to east, in July. I'm going again this year.).

I wouldn't get a triple with the 105 as has been stated. I think the 34-50 front and 11-32 rear would be great since it gives me a wider range on both ends.

If I do this, I will probably just go ahead and spend a little more on some better wheels and get something that will work with 11 speed. I only stated $650 as a starting point. The money isn't a huge issue for me really, but, a new bike is more outlay than I really want to do at this point. (I guess I just have an attachment to this frame, its fit, and geometry)

I do like the frame and like the idea of a refresh for the bike. That is why I created the thread to hear what the experts here think about doing this. I think what everyone has said so far makes a lot of sense. I just have to decide if a little bit less weight, little better looks, little better function is worth the money. I know I could get by with the bike this year the way it is.

I will do a bit more research and maybe stop by the LBS and see what kind of crazy looks I get from them about this.
Old 02-22-15, 09:24 PM
geluzj

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Grand Sports; 1998 LeMond Zurich; 2003 Redline Conquest Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 9 Posts
mbw: I applaud your intention to keep your current frame: if you enjoy it, then no need to change! I also like the thought of an upgrade to breathe new life into it. From personal experience, the 5800 brakes are phenomenal, great feel and power (I run them with 5700 levers). From all I've read, 5800 performs flawlessly, so with the added gear ratios, shifting smoothness, and braking quality, you'll get some gains. If they make riding more enjoyable for you, then upgrading is worth it. The big caveat is the wheel cost. Having done a bunch of shopping lately, I think you'll be looking at least $400 for a new 11-speed wheelset in the 1500-gram range (sure, there are deals out there, but I'm talking about easily available). Just like in everything cycling, have fun in your pursuit!
Old 02-22-15, 09:43 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530
I can't imagine you'll see big differences in price from 2014 5800 vs 2015 5800. They don't do model years like bike frames. They might tweak it and call it 5801, in which case 5800 might be cheaper, but otherwise it'll likely be the same.
Bike shops like to carry what shoppers are finding online. Sales are highly seasonal. Both factors put pressure on the shop to clear out lasr year's models.
Old 02-22-15, 09:50 PM
mbw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to ask the LBS and shop around, but I see they have some older clearance things.... Bontrager Race X Lite TLR Rear Wheel, 2012, $300... I dont know anything about wheelsets, but ill get something nice. How much should I worry about my weight vs the wheel weight? I guess I need something in that sweet spot of lite/sturdy/price.

I will just try and sell/trade my bontrager race wheels with the 9 speed.
Old 02-22-15, 09:56 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say that if the OP waits until the fall, he might be in a better position to buy a new bike.

Bike shops like to carry what shoppers are finding online. Sales are highly seasonal. Both factors put pressure on the shop to clear out lasr year's models.
Old 02-22-15, 10:38 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Hey, if you like your frame and want to upgrade its group set for the next decade, go for it.

If you really like triples, the best Shimano you can get is Tiagra 4603. You won't get it in black, but you can get it for ~$250 and the 10-speed cassette may be compatible with your current wheel.

The 105 5800 comes in black runs and gives you a lot of options regarding gearing, both front and back. You can decide what would work best for you. Yes, you'd need a new rear wheel, but then you'd have a nicely rejuvenated ride.

New group set: $250-$400.
New rear wheel: $115-150.
A ride you love: Priceless.
Old 02-22-15, 10:43 PM
mbw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
Sorry, I meant to say that if the OP waits until the fall, he might be in a better position to buy a new bike.

Great advice. I actually bought this 1500 when it was end of a season/on clearance. I have a renewed enthusiasm for cycling this year, so lets see how it goes. Maybe in a year I will be back here asking about new bikes and go that route. I think for now I will do some digging, get a quote or two from the LBS on this upgrade and just go from there. Ultimately the most important thing to me is just getting out and getting the miles on. Although I don't prefer riding in winter so I spend a lot of time on my trainer.

Thanks again for the replies. This forum seems really great and has lots of participation.
Old 02-22-15, 11:31 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It's highly likely you can get along just fine on a compact double... 34/32 is a pretty low gear and should get you up just about anything you need to climb.
Old 02-23-15, 06:58 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When was the last time you replaced the cables? Also, if you just want to "spruce it up," you'll get a lot of bang for your buck, appearance-wise, from bar tape. Just get new shifters - that should take care of everything.

... Spending a grand on a bike worth $200 is dumb, that was my point. Also, spending $400+labor to get newer 105 is also stupid. They'll charge you the same amount whether it's Sora or Dura Ace so you might as well make it an upgrade.

And those wheels are probably a downgrade. My point was, for it to be an actual upgrade you'd want ultegra 6800 and ultegra wheels. Which would be about a grand.
Good point about new 105 not really being a worthwhile upgrade (no real bang for the buck), but it seems to me that the more serviceable the bike is generally, the smarter it is to spend a few bucks for an upgrade, regardless of the book value. Book value is just a matter of what it's worth to people who don't have it already and only means something if you intend to get rid of it. It's pretty silly to think one should neglect a bike or get a new one just because nobody is particularly interested in buying the one you have.
Old 02-23-15, 08:18 AM
mbw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
When was the last time you replaced the cables? Also, if you just want to "spruce it up," you'll get a lot of bang for your buck, appearance-wise, from bar tape. Just get new shifters - that should take care of everything.

Good point about new 105 not really being a worthwhile upgrade (no real bang for the buck), but it seems to me that the more serviceable the bike is generally, the smarter it is to spend a few bucks for an upgrade, regardless of the book value. Book value is just a matter of what it's worth to people who don't have it already and only means something if you intend to get rid of it. It's pretty silly to think one should neglect a bike or get a new one just because nobody is particularly interested in buying the one you have.

From what I have been reading 105 5800 is very nice and its similar to ultregra from the last year and even the current 6800. I can tell from just test rides that its better than my aged and beat up 105 from 2006. That is why its an upgrade and/or overkill refresh. Just because my current stuff is 105/ultegra doesn't mean the new version of it isn't a significant upgrade.

I think some of my cables are original. I've taken good care of the bike, and cleaned it, and I don't tend to ride on dirt or in winter, so its mostly just normal wear and tear and road grime. I am sure the bike would be better with new pads, new cables, chain, cassette, etc, but I'd still have the wear on the components.

The 11 speed with the double is actually starting to sound appealing on its own. I have a new saddle coming in to my LBS in the next few days, when that is in I will go talk to them about this. I have been using a specialized alias 143 which I don't think I can buy anymore. I wore through the stitching on it and have just been thinking I can find something better. I've ordered a bontrager paradigm and a terry fly ti to try out.
Old 02-23-15, 08:45 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by mbw
From what I have been reading 105 5800 is very nice and its similar to ultregra from the last year and even the current 6800. I can tell from just test rides that its better than my aged and beat up 105 from 2006. That is why its an upgrade and/or overkill refresh. Just because my current stuff is 105/ultegra doesn't mean the new version of it isn't a significant upgrade.

I think some of my cables are original. I've taken good care of the bike, and cleaned it, and I don't tend to ride on dirt or in winter, so its mostly just normal wear and tear and road grime. I am sure the bike would be better with new pads, new cables, chain, cassette, etc, but I'd still have the wear on the components.

The 11 speed with the double is actually starting to sound appealing on its own. I have a new saddle coming in to my LBS in the next few days, when that is in I will go talk to them about this. I have been using a specialized alias 143 which I don't think I can buy anymore. I wore through the stitching on it and have just been thinking I can find something better. I've ordered a bontrager paradigm and a terry fly ti to try out.
I try and replace all my cables once every year or two. Nine years without cable replacement could definitely cause performance degradation.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-23-15, 09:08 AM
mbw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know about the cables. I will get them replaced soon even if I dont do this upgrade.

However I am still thinking about doing it.

Any opinions on the Shimano Ultegra 6800 11 speed wheels? $320 on merlin, gets good reviews for being strong solid wheels. Anything better for around the same price range?
Old 02-23-15, 09:45 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I think it's hilarious that people would say 5800 is not a worthwhile upgrade. Have you read any reviews or better yet road a bike with 5800? Most would say not only is it better than 6700 Ultegra but it feels exactly the same as 6800 Ultegra and new 105 also looks exactly like Ultegra. Going 6800 over 5800 basically saves you 370 grams and nothing else. I personally see no reason to ever get 6800, I would get 5800 or jump to DA
Old 02-23-15, 09:58 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I think it's hilarious that people would say 5800 is not a worthwhile upgrade.
It depends on the OP's definition of "worthwhile upgrade". It'll be around $400-450 for the new groupset, at least $100-150 for an eleven speed compatible rear wheel, and $50-100 for his shop to install and adjust everything since he is not doing the work himself. That's $550-700 to lose a little bike weight and get two more cassette cogs but lose the granny chainring. His current bike seems to be working just fine for what he rides it for, so I guess the replacement parts are just for bragging rights and a psychological boost? Those are valuable things, but only the OP can say what it's worth to him.
Old 02-23-15, 10:07 AM
Rustle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes.
Old 02-23-15, 10:22 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by mbw
I have a 60cm 2006 Trek 1500. Aluminum frame, carbon fork and seat post. It came with 5510 105 and Ultegra rear derailleur. I have looked at a lot of bikes over the years. Kept an eye out for something nicer, but I have never found anything that moves me to buy anything. I like the classic frame shape design a lot, which is part of what going carbon hasn't happened. Sloping top tubes, compact rear stays, etc.. don't appeal to me (just aesthetics, but lets face it, we like to ride what we like to look at).

I am a big rider, 6'2" 200+ lb, I have been dropping weight for awhile, but ill still be a big rider. So weight is not really a huge deal for me. Its nice I am sure, but I am more interested in comfort and functionality.

So, while nothing is technically wrong with my older components, (they are beat to hell from crashes and the hoods are impossible to find) I am curious what you all think about just treating my old workhorse to a fresh set of 105 5800 groupset. I will have the LBS do the work (I dont have all the tools or knowledge really, I just ride). I haven't priced everything out yet. How much would it cost me to do a full 105 groupset, new cables (mine are pretty nasty)?? Would the new 5800 feel nicer than my older stuff? I know it would look nice in black, get rid of all the shiny stuff on my bike.

Originally Posted by mbw
I have. One thing that I have noticed is components, better braking, which is why I am interested in this upgrade. The fit of this bike is great for me. I am sure I could get a newer bike to fit well, but have done any test rides that really stood out and made me want to purchase a bike. I recently looked pretty seriously at a Domane 5.2 C56. It's $3500 or so.. maybe if I get really bord with having cash in my wallet ill just get another bike too and have both? ;D

I should mention that back when I was shopping for a bike, I test rode at least a dozen bikes and really took my time. At that point I hadn't ridden a lot on road bikes, but I did make sure to find something that felt great. I did even test ride the 06' era madone OCLV stuff and this aluminum bike felt better to me. When I test rode this bike I remember it being especially good fit. I have even tried my father in laws really nice titanium lightspeed.

Could it be that I actually just prefer aluminum? high feedback style bike? (i do use the bontrager buzzkill heavy brass bar end plugs and they do help with the hands)

I can spend a little more than $650 if I need, especially if I need new wheels for the package and labor for lbs. Anyone have thoughts on the wheels? I might even be able to trade them in since they are not that old and mostly have trainer miles on them.
Having an LBS do this is not going to be cost effective. Labor is likely to be significant. However, the bigger problem, assuming you buy the parts from them, is that you'll be paying retail for the parts.

As for braking, theres nothing wrong with your current brakes. Put on new upgraded pads (like Kool stops) and new brake cables, and you'll have braking performance like you're seeing on new bikes.

I'd put all new cables on the bike, new chain, new cassette, and you'll be surprised how much your current bike feels like a new bike, keeping the style you like, not having to worry about changing from the triple you have, and not spending much money.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-23-15, 11:21 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I think you should ride up grades....
Old 02-23-15, 12:01 PM
mbw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What bottom bracket would I need if I used Shimano 105 5800 11 Speed Groupset Black | Merlin Cycles

Shimano Ultegra 6800 Bottom Bracket English Thread
or
Shimano BB71-41B Press Fit Road Bottom Bracket

I think i know what all other options to select on that page. I may end up needing to buy on merlin because LBS prices will probably be higher. I assume I can get a lot of the parts off the bike but will need assistance to install everything and set it up correctly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.