Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

license and insurance

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

license and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 03:53 AM
jimrich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
license and insurance

Hi:
I keep meeting ignorant, unlicensed and careless bikers who ride on the sidewalks here (Tarzana, Ca) and when I tell them it's illegal they basically tell me to stick it!
IMO, it would be a tremendous benefit to all of society to require ALL bicyclists to pass a test for a license and be forced to have insurance - just like other motorists have to have. The bike is almost as dangerous a vehicle as a car and the operators should have insurance to cover any damages or injuries their vehicle can cause.
I biker ran me down several years ago and I sure wish I could have taken him to court to collect a settlement for the injuries his bike caused me.
I'd image there are a lot of unlicensed and uninsured bikers out there who need to be held accountable - yet they are NOT! And I'd guess they cause the rest of the "biking community" a lot of grief just like uninsured motorists do to us car drivers.
Wouldn't you like to see all the bikers become more responsible under the law?
Old 04-29-15, 08:52 AM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Why stop there? Skateboarders, roller skaters, rollerbladers, scooter riders, the list goes on. Heck, I've been walked into by pedestrians too busy texting to watch where they are going. Add in requiring testing and licensing for the pedestrians (and require insurance - they could cause injury or property damage due to their inattention) and everyone else who uses public streets, sidewalks, MUPs, etc. and I think you have a plan.
Old 04-29-15, 09:28 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Oh dearie me you are really beside yourself.
Old 04-29-15, 09:34 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimrich
I biker ran me down several years ago and I sure wish I could have taken him to court to collect a settlement for the injuries his bike caused me.
You could have if you'd bothered to get contact information and/or witnesses. Sounds like it was your own fault if you didn't.
Old 04-29-15, 09:42 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Bikers are the people who ride motorcycles, cyclists are the people who ride bicycles. Just saying.
Old 04-29-15, 09:50 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The bike is almost as dangerous a vehicle as a car
BS

The size and speed of an automobile makes collisions far far more likely to cause serious injuries or fatalities. People do get seriously injured or killed in bicycle crashes but this is the exception and not the rule.
Old 04-29-15, 10:13 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'd like to see more people be responsible for their own actions... on a bike or not.

Frankly, I think we should license people to have birth and the rest will probably sort itself out.
Old 04-29-15, 10:40 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Catholics don't need no license.......
It's not against the law to ride a bike on the sidewalk...... in Tarzana.
Old 04-29-15, 11:32 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Bikers are the people who ride motorcycles, cyclists are the people who ride bicycles. Just saying.
Well sortof... most mountain bikers call themselves bikers as opposed to roadies being called cyclists; but the general public does confuse the terms.

Frankly just as there are good and responsible car drivers there are just as many idiots out there who even with a license should not be driving... same with cyclists. Trust me a license will not change bad behavior nor is a license going to increase good behavior. Assuming you were a pedestrian when stuck, I hope you got the cyclist's information so you can file a civil lawsuit; that is your remedy. Hopefully you just didn't step off a curb without looking... walkers need to be cautious and use good judgement as well.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-29-15, 01:35 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
The bike is almost as dangerous a vehicle as a car
You just lost all credibility.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-29-15, 02:32 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Welcome to A&S from SoCal.
Old 04-29-15, 02:46 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Nah, we don't want him either. Probably wants us to be licensed to get on the 'net... " 'cause you might hurt somebody."
Old 04-29-15, 02:50 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm not biting, this smells of a fake nube troll.
Old 04-29-15, 02:53 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
I'm not biting, this smells of a fake nube troll.
Yup, two posts so far, and both are idiot subjects.
Old 04-29-15, 03:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
WTF has happened to American society that so many people these days think that every human activity has to be licensed and regulated.

Further, why assume that insurance makes people more responsible, when common sense says the opposite is true. Insured people are insulated from the consequences of their actions, whether it's driving, health care, civil liability, or any other action. Folks who aren't insured aren't protected if their negligence has monetary consequences, so who's more likely to act responsibly.

In fact, in many applications people are arguing just the opposite from the "more insurance" idea and trying to pass laws that remove the protections that insulate the irresponsible.

As regards bicycles, there's absolutely nothing even remotely resembling a compelling state interest in regulating bicycles any more that they already are.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-29-15, 05:04 PM
jimrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
Why stop there? Skateboarders, roller skaters, rollerbladers, scooter riders, the list goes on. Heck, I've been walked into by pedestrians too busy texting to watch where they are going. Add in requiring testing and licensing for the pedestrians (and require insurance - they could cause injury or property damage due to their inattention) and everyone else who uses public streets, sidewalks, MUPs, etc. and I think you have a plan.
LOL, I'd much rather be hit by an UNINSURED, DISTRACTED pedestrian than by any pathetic FOOL on a vehicle, insured or not!
Old 04-29-15, 05:12 PM
jimrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'd like to see more people be responsible for their own actions... on a bike or not.

Frankly, I think we should license people to have birth and the rest will probably sort itself out.
We need more folks with the power and will to ENFORCE the laws. The indifferent bikers (cyclists, for those who don't get it) I talk to could care less about any "law" and the just tell me off and then go on their ignorant way since I am not empowered to enforce any law.
There are enough laws, rules, standards, etc. in society BUT very bad and ineffective enforcement so the bad and unlicensed cyclists just go on being bad and ignorant since nobody can touch them.
Old 04-29-15, 05:14 PM
jimrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Catholics don't need no license.......
It's not against the law to ride a bike on the sidewalk...... in Tarzana.
Look up the code!
Old 04-29-15, 05:17 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
As a matter of fact, I do have a license. It says Cat 3 Road; Cat 4 Cyclocross; Cat 5 Track
Old 04-29-15, 05:30 PM
jimrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
Assuming you were a pedestrian when stuck, I hope you got the cyclist's information so you can file a civil lawsuit; that is your remedy.
... Oddly, at the time I was knocked to the pavement, I was more worried about that young guy and his bike than myself. I became extremely enraged the next day when my ribs began to HURT and they just got worse over time! That's when I realized how ignorant and WRONG the cyclist was.

Hopefully you just didn't step off a curb without looking... walkers need to be cautious and use good judgement as well.
... I stepped out of a drugstore door way at night and had about 1/2 second before the racing cyclist hit me full on. Even if had "seen" him coming, it was too late to do anything at all! Folks can turn and twist my story all they want to make me responsible for what happened while finding excuses and "reasons" for the cyclist's bad behavior but it won't change the fact that enforcing laws is the weak point and we are all pretty much on our own for defenses and protection from ignorant, careless vehicle operators.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-30-15 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-29-15, 05:31 PM
jimrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Old 04-29-15, 05:34 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Look up the code!
There doesn't seem to be one.

LA County Cities? Sidewalk Riding Ordinances (Code) | LACBC

The people you yell at for riding on the sidewalk probably wish you would mind your own business.

You should have called the police when you were hit by a cyclist. Unfortunately even if you were hit by a car and called the police they probably wouldn't bother to do anything unless you were taking an ambulance to the hospital.

Cars get away with killing pedestrians and cyclists all the time. Cyclists killing peds is much more rare, but does happen. I'm not sure how many get away with the "I didn't see them. They came outta nowhere." defense.
Old 04-29-15, 05:34 PM
jimrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
As a matter of fact, I do have a license. It says Cat 3 Road; Cat 4 Cyclocross; Cat 5 Track
Old 04-29-15, 05:44 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 604 Posts
Hi:
I keep meeting ignorant, unlicensed and careless bikers who ride on the sidewalks here (Tarzana, Ca) and when I tell them it's illegal they basically tell me to stick it!
IMO, it would be a tremendous benefit to all of society to require ALL bicyclists to pass a test for a license and be forced to have insurance - just like other motorists have to have. The bike is almost as dangerous a vehicle as a car and the operators should have insurance to cover any damages or injuries their vehicle can cause.
I'd image there are a lot of unlicensed and uninsured bikers out there who need to be held accountable - yet they are NOT! And I'd guess they cause the rest of the "biking community" a lot of grief just like uninsured motorists do to us car drivers.
Wouldn't you like to see all the bikers become more responsible under the law?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images.jpg (4.6 KB, 233 views)
Old 04-29-15, 05:46 PM
jimrich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
There doesn't seem to be one.
.....I'd look up the code for you but I am convinced that most cyclists couldn't care less about any code especially since it CANNOT BE enforced!

The people you yell at for riding on the sidewalk probably wish you would mind your own business.
... I don't "yell at" anyone for doing anything but those I try to tell about THE LAW not only want me to mind my own business, they make it clear that they are willing to hurt me if I don't SHUT UP! That is why I now carry some forms of self defense since I am not authorized to enforce any law!

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 04-29-15 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.