Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Video Thread!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Video Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 09:34 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am looking forward to the fall/winter, though. I'll be hitting the gym for some serious leg work and sprint training. My primary focus is still FTP/VO2 so that I can be there for the sprint at the end, though.
Old 06-10-15, 09:36 AM
KingShakes

Bikes: Parlee Z5i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to get in on the action filming my races. Who uses Shimano Sport Cam vs. GoPro? Was thinking Shimano basis its shape for cycling.
Old 06-10-15, 09:40 AM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KingShakes
Looking to get in on the action filming my races. Who uses Shimano Sport Cam vs. GoPro? Was thinking Shimano basis its shape for cycling.
I use a GoPro mounted *under* my handlebars. Works very well for me.
Old 06-10-15, 09:51 AM
KingShakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
K-Edge shows off new combo Garmin/GoPro mount, new Pioneer mount, also new more aerodynamic Garmin mount | DC Rainmaker

This mounting system looks pretty great to me.
Old 06-10-15, 09:57 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
With regard to the actual Bahati video and not SRM data recording... according to the numbers on the screen he's doing 600-900 watts for about 40 seconds prior to the sprint, gets a couple of seconds "rest" while railing the last corner, then does a 12 second sprint with a peak around 1270 and an average around 1100. Those numbers all make total sense.

He says "2500 watts" in the voiceover but he's just mis-speaking, he means 1250 watts. As he says in the narration, he wins the race by how he sets up for and takes the corner, not by outsprinting the field. It's really cool how earlier in the video he mentions trying out inside line on that corner and getting his plan set for the finale.
agreed that the 2500 is an error. 2500 watts is a lot and 2500 would be an insane amount of power after the effort he put in to get into position.
Old 06-10-15, 09:59 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
the k-edge pioneer mount is insanely overpriced, but quite nice. I had to buy one for TT as pioneer had no other solution, I guess other than cvc and zipties. The usual pioneer mount is pretty stout, can't imagine buying one of these unless it was for another bike, but I'd probably just get another from pioneer.
Old 06-10-15, 10:00 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KingShakes
I've got a Virb. It makes nice video and it is cool that I can control it with my Garmin edge (remote start, stop, pics, etc), but it is bulky.
Old 06-10-15, 10:30 AM
KingShakes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
the k-edge pioneer mount is insanely overpriced, but quite nice. I had to buy one for TT as pioneer had no other solution, I guess other than cvc and zipties. The usual pioneer mount is pretty stout, can't imagine buying one of these unless it was for another bike, but I'd probably just get another from pioneer.
I've already got a K-Edge for my Garmin, so I'll just throw the adapter on the bottom of it and away I go.
Old 06-10-15, 10:33 AM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckbelle
I am looking forward to the fall/winter, though. I'll be hitting the gym for some serious leg work and sprint training. My primary focus is still FTP/VO2 so that I can be there for the sprint at the end, though.
More sprint training? I won a quick p12 training crit last night with a sprint just a bit higher than I've seen you post about numbers wise. I would second that FTp/vo2 work as planned, that will get you pretty far IMO
Old 06-10-15, 11:14 AM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
I love those Bahati narrated videos. So fun to watch.
+1, Bahati's narrations are great.

So great educationally to a cat 4 crit guy. Kudos to anybody in the upper echelons disclosing numbers and tactics for the benefit of the sport.

Of course CDR's videos are also awesome. I wish @gsteinb @shovelhd @rkwaki would also camera-up.
Old 06-10-15, 01:50 PM
canuckbelle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
More sprint training? I won a quick p12 training crit last night with a sprint just a bit higher than I've seen you post about numbers wise. I would second that FTp/vo2 work as planned, that will get you pretty far IMO
Of course! 1400w is great, but why not 1600w if it's not too hard? Besides, constantly training VO2 and FTP is hell. It's the kind of suffering I hate. So the weight work will be a nice break from the 'more important' work to be done.
Old 06-11-15, 10:41 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I understand that peak is pretty much never what's displayed, just pointing out that peak and display rarely coincide.

I read somewhere that the SRM reads a gazillion times a second so peak power may not be real, but 1s power (that isn't peak, right?) should be an average of 1s worth of readings? I dunno, I think I put it all down when I see 1200+w peak and I think I could have done better if I see 900w peak.
not really sure why you experience this.

i was curious last night so happened to check.

i think you are using a PCV or PCVI + what software? SRMwin or mac? GC? what is your data import process? i've seen the TP data import process mess up some files and change intervals. i always use the SRM software to download and THEN import into WKO+. you should compare the same file in multiple software packages.

anyway, kind of odd what you are seeing. max power on my head unit is max 1" (single sample), and that matches my software.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3991.jpg (97.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-11-15, 12:47 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
not really sure why you experience this.

i was curious last night so happened to check.

i think you are using a PCV or PCVI + what software? SRMwin or mac? GC? what is your data import process? i've seen the TP data import process mess up some files and change intervals. i always use the SRM software to download and THEN import into WKO+. you should compare the same file in multiple software packages.

anyway, kind of odd what you are seeing. max power on my head unit is max 1" (single sample), and that matches my software.

Sorry, I should have clarified. Other than setting slope I don't touch the SRM while I ride. I don't scroll through the various screens, and in fact the first time I ever saw max power on the head was last year when another rider scrolled through to check my max power after we sprinted against each other.

I'm talking about when I glance down to see what's happening as I'm going, the "instant" power readings.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-15-15, 11:34 AM
kleinboogie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the lighter side. Here's a photo/video shoot my wife and I shot on Saturday.

Old 06-21-15, 10:58 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
From the crit yesterday; me leading out my team mate. Unfortunately he let someone in between us (and/or they forced their way in), and took the w.

Jump to the last lap, this is where the action starts and i had to use an elbow: https://youtu.be/PpQDhtJsAL0?t=3m10s

my race videos
Old 06-22-15, 04:47 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that was dicey in the turn. What's with the waving and finger pointing?

CCB, he's from out my way, teammate of bostongarden. Looks like Dylan.
Old 06-22-15, 05:21 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
CCB had a guy trying to help him before. I think your teammate left enough of a gap such that the CCB guy could take the wheel. Your teammate seemed to be half a second off your moves, meaning you'd go and he'd hesitate a moment and then go, leaving a gap in the process. Or you're jumping too hard, one or the other. Or he was seeing too much wind and wasn't sure of his legs? That doesn't seem right based on how he did.

Also that CCB guy shot through that one turn while everyone else went wide. I only watched once but it looks like something may have happened? Or wind from the right?

This is all the stuff I missed yesterday as I sat up after Turn 2 on the last lap.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-22-15, 05:21 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wondered if that was "our" CCB.
Old 06-22-15, 10:05 AM
Rosshole
"that guy"

Bikes: TCR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From the M 3/4 race as part of ToAD yesterday...

NOT me or my video

Last edited by Rosshole; 06-22-15 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 11:19 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Yeah, that was dicey in the turn. What's with the waving and finger pointing?

CCB, he's from out my way, teammate of bostongarden. Looks like Dylan.
That was Jules from CCB who won. He's in town for Nationals.

Used to live out here, guess that's where he got his power & skills from. =]

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
CCB had a guy trying to help him before. I think your teammate left enough of a gap such that the CCB guy could take the wheel. Your teammate seemed to be half a second off your moves, meaning you'd go and he'd hesitate a moment and then go, leaving a gap in the process. Or you're jumping too hard, one or the other. Or he was seeing too much wind and wasn't sure of his legs? That doesn't seem right based on how he did.
The hesitation might've been from me jumping too hard; it's the only way I know how to jump. =]

Ideally I would ramp up the pace, but when a gap opens and I feel like I need to get in there, it's usually the only option. Also ideally my guy would've known I would jump into the last turn, it probably caught him by surprise. Live & learn!

my race videos
Old 06-22-15, 12:49 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
RedKite E4 from third perspective. I am on second wheel on final lap.
.be
Old 06-22-15, 04:39 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So much yelling. You had the right idea, just the wrong partner.
Old 06-22-15, 04:41 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
RedKite E4 from third perspective. I am on second wheel on final lap.
.be
Didn't watch it all, but the gap you let open going into turn 3 (about about 3:00) killed you... next time pedal through that corner or otherwise stay glued to the wheel in front of you (when it counts, like on the last lap, anyway).

my race videos
Old 06-22-15, 04:48 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
So much yelling. You had the right idea, just the wrong partner.
Ha? He dragged my ass for 2nd, glancing back to make sure he didn't drop me. Fact I was that far back and couldn't get around him was all my ****ups. The guy who shot this video is not on our team.

Originally Posted by mattm
Didn't watch it all, but the gap you let open going into turn 3 (about about 3:00) killed you... next time pedal through that corner or otherwise stay glued to the wheel in front of you (when it counts, like on the last lap, anyway).
Yeah, looks like I eased up for a split second. Didn't seem like the gap was that big, but from the video it is HUGE! I will have to work on this.
Old 06-22-15, 05:13 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Solid job @UmneyDurak, holding onto a strong wheel in that final lap can be tough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.