Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cracked Quill Seatpost

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cracked Quill Seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 08:16 PM
Jgraham001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cracked Quill Seatpost

[ just bought a 564 Aluminum Schwinn bike on Craigslist. It is in really great condition and I am just looking to use it to commute to and from campus every day, not any hardcore cycling. I did notice a crack in the seatpost and the more I read about the quill seatpost, the more concerned I am that I made a major mistake. Is a crack like this a serious concern for simple daily commuting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (87.1 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by Jgraham001; 08-05-15 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 08:20 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
not sure what a "quill" seatpost is. But unless you want to be Fuselli George in a Seinfeld Episode( "it was a million to one shot, doc") I 'd replace a cracked seatpost. I t won't be that expensive.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-05-15, 08:37 PM
Jgraham001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's basically a seatpost that clamps from the inside because the frame of this bike does not come with an outside clamp. They are supposedly super rare and expensive, not sure if there is a way I could jerry-rig a normal seat post to sit snug or not.
Old 08-05-15, 08:38 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jgraham001
[ just bought a 564 Aluminum Schwinn bike on Craigslist. It is in really great condition and I am just looking to use it to commute to and from campus every day, not any hardcore cycling. I did notice a crack in the seatpost and the more I read about the quill seatpost, the more concerned I am that I made a major mistake. Is a crack like this a serious concern for simple daily commuting?
Yeah, it's time to retire this antique. Use it for a paper weight or whatever.
Old 08-05-15, 09:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
They do show up on E-Bay frequently.

Internal Expander Seatpost 27 2mm Moser Gara Leader AX Merckx Campagnolo | eBay
American Classic Quill Seatpost 27 2 Bike Bicycle Road Fit Schwinn Moser MTB GT | eBay
Internal Expander Seatpost 27 2mm for Leader AX Moser Merckx Campagnolo | eBay

I haven't messed around with seatposts much, but they appear to be pretty simple. You have the top, a tube, and the wedge.
You should be able to replace the tube portion with only moderate effort.

You might also be able to use yours until it breaks. Any chance the expander system would hold it all together? You might also be able to weld it, although I'd probably replace the tube rather than welding.
Old 08-05-15, 09:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Well, I learned something new today: Quill seatpost!!
Old 08-06-15, 09:59 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Glad that design didn't take hold. I guess someone thought it looked sleeker, or maybe they were worried about metal fatigue of an aluminum frame with a seat collar.
Old 08-06-15, 10:01 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by CliffordK
You might also be able to use yours until it breaks. .
Seat post brakes at top of post. Seat slides off the back. OP's butt plants on jagged edge of post, which becomes a 27.2mm wide butt plug.

Not a risk I'd take personally.
Old 08-06-15, 12:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Glad that design didn't take hold.
Yeah. In either '90 or '91 I bought a Schwinn 754 that had one. It sucked (along with the rest of the bike). It kept sliding down.
Old 08-06-15, 12:08 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
I wouldn't ride a bike with seatpost.
Old 08-06-15, 12:19 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
not sure what a "quill" seatpost is. But unless you want to be Fuselli George in a Seinfeld Episode( "it was a million to one shot, doc") I 'd replace a cracked seatpost. I t won't be that expensive.
LOL! Maybe he could find a small "ASSMAN" bicycle license plate, too!
Old 08-06-15, 12:23 PM
jefft72

Bikes: Giant TCR, 03 Haro V3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 564 and noticed that my seat post has a slight crack in it (nowhere near as nasty as your crack). I wrapped a band clamp around the post and tightened it as much as I could. The post hasn't moved in the seat tube since.

I have done some research specifically about these problems and resolutions to them that does not include trying to find a NOS part. One fix that I have seen and that seems fairly solid is the following:
1) Purchase new seat post 27.2mm
2) Purchase double seat post clamp (27.2 - 31.6) Gorilla Park Double Seatpost Clamp 27 2mm Bike White | eBay
3) Double seat post clamp will sit at the base of the post and clamp to top of seat tube.

I haven't pulled the trigger on this yet as the band clamp is doing its job. There is a Schwinn Aluminum Series Facebook page where someone has done this with success.
Old 08-06-15, 12:35 PM
bres dad

Bikes: '84 Paramount, '89 Schwinn 754, '13 Specialized RockHopper, Trek Domane 4.3

Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
There is a way to fix it. There used to be a person in a Facebook forum for the SAS bikes (Schwinn Aluminum Series... 564, 754, etc) that would put a collar above the screw that releases/tightens the quill. Unfortunately he was killed in a bike accident about a year ago. Unknown if anyone picked up doing those or not. There are also ways to make a homemade quill seat post. There is also an adapter that can be found people have used to make a standard seat post for on the old SAS bikes. I've had a few of those bikes over the years.

Edit: that's the double seat post adapter referenced above...
Old 08-06-15, 12:36 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

^ I Was thinking of putting a seat collar on it. It would seem to make it work well you'd want to slot the back of the seat tube, and I'm not sure how much I'd want to mess with an old aluminum frame.

But a small slot an inch or so down with a dremel, and then a seat post collar would appear to do the trick.
Old 08-06-15, 12:39 PM
bres dad

Bikes: '84 Paramount, '89 Schwinn 754, '13 Specialized RockHopper, Trek Domane 4.3

The problem with the idea of using use a standard seat post on one of those is that there isn't enough of the seat tube sticking up above the top tube. I had seriously thought about it
Old 08-06-15, 12:45 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
A simple repair to the post that would be just as simple to monitor: put pipe clamps around the post above and below the crack. Get them tight. Mark the end of the crack. Now just check periodically to see if the crack is growing.

Ben
Old 08-06-15, 04:28 PM
Jgraham001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies! I'm not quite ready to dish out over $100 for a new seatpost, but I'm also not interested in having my anus obliterated. I'm going to try these two pipe clamps and watch it closely, what do you guys think? I'm thinking it will probably justdelay the inevitable, but I really don't want it breaking off in the middle of a ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (89.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 08-06-15, 05:49 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Seems Legit

Old 08-06-15, 09:14 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies! I'm not quite ready to dish out over $100 for a new seatpost, but I'm also not interested in having my anus obliterated. I'm going to try these two pipe clamps and watch it closely, what do you guys think? I'm thinking it will probably justdelay the inevitable, but I really don't want it breaking off in the middle of a ride.
Seems like something I would do. I'll bet it'll be fine.
Old 08-06-15, 09:27 PM
bres dad

Though possible, I doubt the seat post would wind up an anal probe or the equiv of something you'd see in the red room of 50 Shades of Gray... keep an eye on it and for other 'series' bikes if you really like the way it rides, might find a good seat post on one. All of the number series (and the Ontare) had that design except for the 354. The 354 had a standard seat clamp and will accept any standard seat post.
Old 08-06-15, 11:15 PM
CliffordK

The crack has already travelled through a hole of sorts. But, it may not hurt to drill a 1/8" hold at the end of the crack to help suppress propagation.

Is that a 27.2mm post?
Old 08-06-15, 11:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
The crack has already travelled through a hole of sorts. But, it may not hurt to drill a 1/8" hold at the end of the crack to help suppress propagation.

Is that a 27.2mm post?
Good call!

Ben
Old 12-02-15, 02:20 PM
CliffordK

How's the seatpost holding up?

I recently found a used Suntour Quill very similar to yours, but without the crack.

Looking at the photo again, I think the top of the seatpost has been jammed downward by about 1/16", so the original crack may have happened fairly quickly on a big bump.

Anyway, if you are interested in a low cost trade-plus, perhaps we can work something out.

Post here and I'll send a PM.
Old 12-02-15, 02:55 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

You might also be able to use yours until it breaks. Any chance the expander system would hold it all together? You might also be able to weld it, although I'd probably replace the tube rather than welding.
Worst advice ever given on BF...

Seat post brakes at top of post. Seat slides off the back. OP's butt plants on jagged edge of post, which becomes a 27.2mm wide butt plug.

Not a risk I'd take personally.
Exactly!
Old 12-02-15, 03:33 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by rmfnla
Worst advice ever given on BF...
Based on what????

One would have to inspect the post carefully, but as far as I can tell, the bolt providing tension to the wedge also goes through the head of the post.

So for the post to sheer, you would have to have a crack that is travelling downward to change course, and travel in a circle around the post.
Then either the retention bolt sheers, or the head of the post would also have to sheer off.

Or, likely there is undue stress on the transverse bolt, and that bolt is at risk of sheering. The result would likely allow the head of the post to pivot, and the body of the post to fall into the frame.

Perhaps there is also some inconvenient twisting of the head of the post which would be noisy, and perhaps allow the post to slide, or interrupt the tension on the vertical tension bolt (causing it to sheer). Loosing that bolt would cause the post to fall in the seat tube, but generally not an emergency.

Or, maybe the lower half of the head would sheer off, allowing the post to twist, but not immediately fall off.

Hopefully the OP would be monitoring for change. And, it may not be comfortable to ride the bike with the post as-is.

A seat sliding or twisting would feel uncomfortable, but wouldn't necessarily be a huge danger.

Nonetheless, I have offered a deal on a replacement post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.