Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Mesa MTB mid 90's Thoughts on this bike.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 04:49 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts

Was really ready to scrape this one that I hauled out of a scrap metal dumbster a couple of weeks ago. Started n it a bit and it turned out pretty much everything on the bike except bin the rear drop out chain were pretty good so I through a chain and claw RD and already redone wheels from my parts bin on it got several gears working and took it for a short ride about 5 miles around town. Turns out the suspension fork and headset are near perfect, the brakes trigger work good. Only issue is the ergo shock seat post sucks even clamped down the whole way the ergo side motion just sucks for me post is fine just don't like it,will likely leave on bike if I sell it will be gone if I keep so if any one wants one of these posts cheap shipping plus a couple bucks let me know. Not sure what to do with the bike now but will get the rd hanger thingy ounce I figure out the correct number and finish setup and finish the rebuild.

Last edited by zukahn1; 08-21-20 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-21-20, 05:13 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
My criteria is, if I like it, it fills a niche and I have room, then I keep it, at least until something better comes along.

It looks like a good workable bike, does it fit what you want it for? Dirt trails, I assume?

I don't like those suspension seat posts either. Maybe there is a good one out there, but on a bike like this and the one that I got, they are made to be cheap first and foremost. Use your feet and legs to lift you off the seat when it gets rough.
Old 08-21-20, 06:25 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Wheels manufactures is your friend. I had the same issue with a 2000-ish frame. Went through MANY pictures of what they had and nailed it with an exact match.

Old 08-21-20, 06:34 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts
It's a 1998 Schwinn Mesa GSX if you're curious. https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=70138

Good job getting it working again. Now you have one less claw hanger RD in your bin and +1 decent STX.
Old 08-21-20, 06:38 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I've had a few of these. Going from memory - the Mesa frame was built by Giant. Distinctive "Epicenter" curved seatstays which provide more of a planted feeling to the rear triangle than you might expect at this price point. Bit of a sleeper.

The dealbreaker on this one could easily be the suspension fork. If it's toast, then any replacement might throw the geo, handling and braking off unless it's pretty close to the original. I'm always wary of buying into 26ers with blown forks, having gone down that rabbit hole enough times to avoid it if at all possible.

Last edited by bargainguy; 08-21-20 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-21-20, 08:39 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by bargainguy
I've had a few of these. Going from memory - the Mesa frame was built by Giant. Distinctive "Epicenter" curved seatstays which provide more of a planted feeling to the rear triangle than you might expect at this price point. Bit of a sleeper.

The dealbreaker on this one could easily be the suspension fork. If it's toast, then any replacement might throw the geo, handling and braking off unless it's pretty close to the original. I'm always wary of buying into 26ers with blown forks, having gone down that rabbit hole enough times to avoid it if at all possible.
Test road and checked the fork headset good both very good kinda surprised me thought for sure they would be toast wrecking the value rebuild on this bike.

Last edited by zukahn1; 08-21-20 at 09:21 PM.