Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

if you had to wait months for your last bike purchase, would you change your mind?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

if you had to wait months for your last bike purchase, would you change your mind?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-20, 11:24 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts

One of my hobby strategies - when I want something, is to impose a one month wait period / cooling off. After that, if I still want it, I can purchase it . Many times I change my mind by then lol.

Nowadays, with c o vid nine teen, you have to pay now and get your bike months later. I wrestle sometimes with

why did I just buy that?
Likes For gios:
Old 12-07-20, 11:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
I waited 3 months for mine. Ordered in March arrived end of June. Was it worth it? Yes, but I have always played the long game.
Ordered a custom build wheelset and they arrived a month and a half later. Very worth the wait.

Last edited by rsbob; 12-07-20 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-08-20, 05:35 AM
rivers

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I waited about a month for my TT bike to arrive. But it was too good of a deal to pass up. It was new old stock and I saved just over £1k off the original price.
Old 12-08-20, 05:54 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Waiting a couple of months wouldn't change a thing for me.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-08-20, 06:45 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I tend to do a fair amount of research before big purchases. Though I do sometimes wonder if I made the right choice after buying something really expensive, unless a great deal came along, I would think I'd be fine with something I ordered. That said, I had recently planned to order a Scott Foil but was told by a few shops that they wouldn't take an order because they had no timeline for when the bike would be in. So I bought a Pinarello that was in stock. I'm glad I did. I love it.
Old 12-08-20, 07:49 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Project One bikes were a month or more pre COVID
Old 12-08-20, 07:53 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Waiting a couple of months wouldn't change a thing for me.
It didn't for me...
Old 12-08-20, 09:17 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by gios

One of my hobby strategies - when I want something, is to impose a one month wait period / cooling off. After that, if I still want it, I can purchase it .
When I was a teenager and wanted something really bad my Mom would tell me to sleep on it and if I still wanted it the next day she would drive me to the store. This has basically been my philosophy since I was young. It's too easy for me to work myself into a frenzy about wanting either this or that, so I always try to give myself a little time for reflection before jumping in. In the case of bikes and bike accessories, I may still buy a set of wheels, but I'll talk myself down from the $1200 set to the $600 ones. I have never been an impulse buyer.
Old 12-08-20, 09:26 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My last bike was a CAAD 12. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. So, no.

Old 12-08-20, 09:31 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 722 Posts
Rock Lobster has a 9 month to 1 year wait time which you're told going in. Put my deposit down in Sept and waited a year to the week for the bike but it is something I really wanted and sometimes you have to wait, yes I'd do it again. I'd like to pick up a couple of touring frames for my wife and I with couplers in them and unless Surly or Soma come out with something new will have to wait since I don't care for the Ritchey's that are available.
Old 12-08-20, 09:51 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
I started looking for my new bike some time around May 5th. took me about a month to decide on what I was going to get. placed the order right after Memorial day. picked up the bike on July 25. Big purchases always take a lot of thought, and buying a bike sight unseen, and researching the frame geometry etc. is nerve racking to say the least. well over 1000 mile on the bike, now and except for the saddle (which I waffle about), I love it! So start to finish, 10 weeks or so, and I did start to have second thoughts when I saw bikes that would be 95% as nice for me at 60% of the price... but the piper had been paid, and there was no going back.

Argon 18 Krypton Pro. Not the most graceful or beautiful bike to my eye, but still a great bike!
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 12-08-20, 09:57 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Some of us already are, so why would that change it?
Old 12-08-20, 01:50 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Doesn't change a thing for me.

BTW - the wait times ae going to get a whole lot longer this next year.

Old 12-08-20, 03:25 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I guess with lead times on new bikes being so long custom is no longer a hard thing to stomach!

I put in my deposit for my Custom Speedvagen in November 2017, flew in for my fitting and received the frame/fork/bars/seat post topper in early Feb 2018 for my one of a kind bike I guess that’s pretty good compared to a similar (current) wait for a stock bike lol. Jesting of course but perhaps given the cost for a top end trek/pinarello/etc isn’t far from a full custom from many companies maybe now the wait is a non issue.

I hate waiting for things but for a top end bike at these prices I’m absolutely good with the sleeping on it mentality!
Old 12-08-20, 04:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I waited 3 months before ordering my current bike. I have a home based business and decided I would set aside the proceeds from it until I saved enough for the purchase. Then since it was a special order I waited another 6 week before it arrived. I finally took delivery in January, so i waited a few more months till I could ride it.
Old 12-08-20, 04:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yeah, maybe? If it were multiple months?

But then again, I don't know, maybe not.

I bought wheels at the beginning of November and they just shipped yesterday, so a good month and a half from purchase to receipt, and I don't regret that, so maybe I wouldn't a bike...as long as there isn't a big sale in the meantime or a brand new product which I'd much prefer to the thing I purchased.
Old 12-08-20, 06:47 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
When I needed a new bike I needed it now. My choices were limited by what was in the local shops. Got a SuperSix EVO. w/105.
Old 12-08-20, 07:50 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Doesn't change a thing for me.

BTW - the wait times ae going to get a whole lot longer this next year.
Just curious why you think this is? I trust your opinion... And as noted above, I made a purchase sooner than planned in part because I was advised that the bike I wanted was not going to be available for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-08-20, 08:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts
Not at all, I usually obsess over purchases anyway so waiting isn't a big deal. My last one was a titanium mountain bike frame from Habanero Cycles and he made my decision super easy, he was a kindred spirit in terms of liking vintage stuff and was super nice and really shined up the frame. I happened to ask for a dusty crusty frame in the corner of the shop because who is still doing a 26" Canti MTB frame?

If I am going to buy something I don't want doubts on it so if it ain't right I just won't bite.
Old 12-08-20, 09:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
I had ordered a Domane SL7 and was told the wait would be 70 +/- 10 days, well when it got up 150 days....I cancelled the order and went with a Project One Domane SLR 7 and was riding the bike in 10 days. So......yea it was worth it.

Old 12-09-20, 06:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Long wait times certainly impact my buying decisions. If it's a product class where I think that there's a lot of parity, and some of the competitors to my desired product are immediately available, it may be enough for me to rearrange my preference and make a purchase.

If it's a product with a limited/seasonal window, a month of two of delays can be enough for me to put it off for another year. This year, I've been interested in a budget fat bike, but they're scarce. I have no interest in getting on a wait list to take delivery on one in Feb.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-09-20, 10:08 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by robbyville
I guess with lead times on new bikes being so long custom is no longer a hard thing to stomach!
Custom lead times will and are most likely already up as well. Even more than before. Everyone can't find parts.

Old 12-09-20, 10:23 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by gios

One of my hobby strategies - when I want something, is to impose a one month wait period / cooling off. After that, if I still want it, I can purchase it . Many times I change my mind by then lol.

Nowadays, with c o vid nine teen, you have to pay now and get your bike months later. I wrestle sometimes with

why did I just buy that?
This is a smart strategy. We typically have a policy that adding new things to the house means something old needs to leave (we are empty-nesters in the 3 year of our downsize).

To your question, my latest bike purchase - I ordered it in October and don't expect to have it until March and not ride it until April (it's a road bike and Minnesota roads are not typically clear of snow/ice until April). And no, I'm not getting rid of any bikes ... so I'm breaking policy*

* actually, bikes have a separate policy, if it's not rideable or getting used, it's outta here. In our downsize, we sold/donated 3 bikes. We're town to 11 bikes (soon to be 12)
Old 12-09-20, 11:20 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by ericcox
Just curious why you think this is? I trust your opinion... And as noted above, I made a purchase sooner than planned in part because I was advised that the bike I wanted was not going to be available for the foreseeable future.
Oh...where to start.
All production capacity for all of the major brands has been sold through 2021 and is into 2022 booking. Many times shops have already sold what they are buying.

Shimano has sold through their capacity for 2021 and a lot of 2022 already. This capacity goes mainly to OEMs. Bike brands are sucking up all the parts. I had a guy come in 2 months ago to build up a new SL6 frame he bought. He's a friend so he "wanted to give me the business". I looked hard and wasn't able to find a single part with any delivery dates before the end of the year and most dates were March April and that was only if I put it on backorder then. Reminder that was 2 months ago.

There are still large online retailers that have inventory that were able to buy it up when it was showing up this year. They have no doubt also bought up what they can for next year as well. If you've been looking you might have noticed that Shimano parts that used to be available for retail at almost the exact same cost as my wholesale prices have all gone back up to MSRP levels. This won't change back. In fact you will probably start seeing parts going for more than MSRP more often as scarcity starts to impact everything.

Price are headed up by a lot in some cases. Orders that Specialized already had from dealers - they came back and told the dealers that prices increased as much as 40% in some cases. These were purchases that had already been agreed upon and put in and in some cases the dealers had already taken payment. They had to eat it or go back to the customer for more money or simply refund the customer and start over. All of the OEMs have been expediting and air freighting stuff all year. I am already getting price increase acknowledgements from the smaller ones. They all start the same, "due to the overly high costs we were forced to take on this year due to supply issues caused by..."

So - demand is projected to remain the same. Lead times will get longer in general. Much of what is being made has already been sold. Stock up on your consumable parts when you see them in stock somewhere.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 12-09-20, 12:34 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Oh...where to start.
...snip...
So - demand is projected to remain the same. Lead times will get longer in general. Much of what is being made has already been sold. Stock up on your consumable parts when you see them in stock somewhere.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. This makes me feel much better about buying the bike that was available in my size when I saw it after confronting an inability to order the bike I wanted and seeing no stock on several other, similar bikes from large and small manufacturers.

At some point, I may have to talk to you about wheels, though... I like the fulcrum 5's on my bike, but they aren't exactly light or aero. While changes to me will make more difference, I like pretty wheels that also add function :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.