Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Crankarms

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 03:52 AM
Northernbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crankarms

hi, I have a Rize ebike, it's a mini with 20" fat tires. due to the design the crank is higher off the ground than a regular bike.
I know they are 170mm but I dont know how to determine what will fit as a replacement. I need something like a 145 to 150mm crankarm. Is there a guide somewhere. The stamping on it says prowheel forged chariot 170mm. I think a shorter arm will help me find a more comfortable seating position.
tia
G.
Old 03-31-21, 04:06 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
It looks doable, they look like they are mounted on a standard square type of bottom bracket axle.

With that fixed saddle it kind of reminds me of the mopeds I used to ride that had pedals to comply with UK law - and where you had to stand up to pedal them 'effectively'. Other than that if you fit shorter cranks then it will be harder to pedal unless you compensate by changing the sprocket sizes as well, which will mean replacing the chain for a longer one.
Old 03-31-21, 06:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,759 Posts
I doubt much pedaling is involved so whatever length makes the riding position comfortable should be OK. Swapping the crank probably isn't something you will be able to do yourself. Best to take it to a shop, tell them what your issue is and let them source and install the parts. Cool machine, those wheels/tires look like they'll go anywhere.

Old 03-31-21, 09:24 AM
Northernbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
crankarms

i actually pedal quite a bit but use pedal assist even though there is a throttle option. It surely goes anywhere. I have had it through slush, snow, on ice, in mud, on pavement, beach sand etc. I think it will be a lot of fun and might end up replacing my Honda Forza at some point.
Likes For Northernbike:
Old 03-31-21, 09:29 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
What is the problem with your saddle position? If you think it is too high shorter crank arms are the opposite of what you need
Old 03-31-21, 09:35 AM
Northernbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
crankarms

the issue is that the pedals is too high when at the top of thr cycle, causing too sharp of a bend in my knee. I had to put my seat way up to counteract this. If the crank was lower, there might not be as much of an issue or maybe I coukd find a way to back my seat up a bit. it is as far back as I can put it now.
tks
Old 04-02-21, 02:27 PM
imakecircles

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Nuovo Racing, 2012 Cervelo RS Rival, 20xx Redline Conquest (Commuter/Rain Bike)

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
It sounds like your seat is too low. A good rule of thumb is that with your heel on the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke, and while sitting on the seat, your knee should only very slightly bent. This position often seems really high to new riders.
Old 04-02-21, 02:33 PM
Northernbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
crankarms

I put my seat up but I find I have to put it too high for comfort in order to get proper leg extension. It all due tonthe fact that the crank is high off the ground compared to a regular bike. I can still use it but I will plugging away at this little nuisance.
Old 04-02-21, 03:12 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Get a longer seat post?
Different bar?
Old 04-02-21, 04:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,759 Posts
Originally Posted by Northernbike
maybe I could find a way to back my seat up a bit. it is as far back as I can put it now.
tks
Seatposts do come with different offsets. More offset will move your saddle further back. Would be much less expensive than changing the crank. You will need to know the diameter of your post and the proper length. Those numbers are usually engraved or etched somewhere toward the bottom of the post.