Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trainers...early I know

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trainers...early I know

Old 10-08-03, 10:22 AM
princebaal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a lot of stress on the bike when clamped into a trainer? I have a cycle ops fulid and I notice that when I am using it, my frame flexes a little side to side. Is that not good for the bike? Is it going to wear out from flexing like that?
Old 10-08-03, 10:32 AM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by princebaal
Is there a lot of stress on the bike when clamped into a trainer? I have a cycle ops fulid and I notice that when I am using it, my frame flexes a little side to side. Is that not good for the bike? Is it going to wear out from flexing like that?
Just from what I've read and observed---flexing is normal on a bike and you don't really notice it on the road---they are designed to take this kind of stress.

On the trainer, the flexural stress concentrations are greater on the stays, BB, fork, and headset because you are not permitting the bike to disperse the load as efficiently as on the road. You can only hope that the frame designers have added a good margin of safety in their design for fatigue loading.

Others on the forum have good recommendations to just use a beater bike on the trainer, but I don't have that option at the moment, thus the choice of getting rollers.
Old 10-10-03, 07:10 PM
anikuma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just about a fulid 2 trainer. I'm more than sure Cannondale has enough safety margin to allow the bike to survive a winter training season. I hope. Anyhow the trainer feels good, and i notice the motion effect of pedaling on the bike more than one does on the road. But that would be normal. The bike riders the trainer well so no complaints there.

Question to the cycle op owners. The skewer you get with the trainer, is it good enough for the road. I mean should I switch to my original skewer when riding road and the other one when on the trainer?
Old 10-12-03, 11:27 AM
princebaal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the skewer they gave me with my fluid trainer all the time. It is fine on my cannondale. I put it on and left it, no problems, nothing, don't even notice it. It just fits well on the trainer too!
Old 10-14-03, 10:42 PM
Lone Ranger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anikuma
Question to the cycle op owners. The skewer you get with the trainer, is it good enough for the road. I mean should I switch to my original skewer when riding road and the other one when on the trainer?
I just leave the skewer that came with the trainer in all the time with no ill effects other than it doesn't look as nice as my "real" skewer.
Old 10-14-03, 11:02 PM
dtufts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always swap out the skewer when I hit the road. But then, I'm a total FRED. What is someone sees you with that cheap no-name skewer? Wouldn't you just die?