Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Bike too big?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Bike too big?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 02:21 PM
Calla lily

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bike too big?

Been riding a Huffy hybrid for a few years and want to move up from that. So until I can save up enough to buy something better, I picked up a like new Dawes Lightning Cross off Craigslist (I didn't know what exactly it was until I did some digging after I got it, she listed it as a Dawes road bike). It came with both road and terrain tires. It had flat tires so I couldn't do much testing (she didn't have the type pump to inflate the tires). Anyway I'm 5'2" female, barefoot inseam is 28.75". The standover for the bike is 29.5". All the other measurement suggestions from competitive cyclist fit calculator fall right in with the bikes other measurements (TT, C-T seat) listed here (that is assuming my husband measured correctly, I think we'll try again). With tennis shoes on (I don't have bike shoes), my inseam is 29.5", so that's real snug. The seat is not down all the way, there's an inch or so stem left, but I may want to lower it a tad after I ride it some. I've never ridden a drop bar bike before so I'm not sure how the rest of the bike should feel. Anyway I'm guessing it's too big. I haven't had a chance to ride it really yet, so I may give it some time but probably sell it.
Old 05-29-15, 03:07 PM
jefft72

Bikes: Giant TCR, 03 Haro V3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a bike that was technically too big for me for a year. The saddle was lower than what you would expect to see, but it was the right height foe me. The stand over was certainly snug, but leaning the bike a bit solved that without issue. I didn't have any problems with the bike with rides <50 miles.

The bike had a 110mm stem, which coupled with the long TT would stretch me out a bit. On rides over 50 miles I would start to really feel it in my shoulders and anything over 75 miles would make me uncomfortable.

If you find that you are too stretched out you can always buy a shorter stem to try out.

I would start and ensure that the saddle height is right for you. A good ball park is to have it set so that your heal touches the pedal and your knee has a slight bend in it. From there it will be trial and error.