Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Carbon fiber frame spliter

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 11-30-17, 08:40 AM
Speedbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So being the curious kind, I wanted to try a belt conversion for my bike. Since we have an engineer on hand and a carbon fiber 3D printer we elected to design our own. So here goes ...

This set of carbon fiber frame splitter that require nothing but cutting the upper rear wheel support 1.5 inches. The part are epoxied in place and we used off the shelf JB Weld with great results. So this mod can be performed with minimal tools and costs.

We are still in the final testing phase but will releasing these to the general population and bike shops. With this post we are looking for general feedback on the whole thing.

Thank you to all the community.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20171130_092805.jpg (950.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20171130_092824.jpg (784.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 11-30-17, 08:42 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, naah. Thanks though.
Old 11-30-17, 10:12 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Ugh. Hopefully you didn't ruin too nice of a frame.
Old 11-30-17, 10:13 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 431 Posts
Well, it’s called the “seatstay” for starters, but beyond that it assumes that all seatstays are the same, which they are not, so you would have to produce dozens of different designs. Then, the seatstay is tapered, so the locations of the two cut points would have to be very precise to avoid too loose or tight fit. Frankly, I think your market size is one, namely yourself.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 11-30-17, 10:16 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Ugh. Hopefully you didn't ruin too nice of a frame.
Looking at those rims, I’d venture a guess that it is not.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 11-30-17, 10:51 AM
Speedbird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to worry ...

The frame was a donor bike that we can do destructive testing on ... LOL

As for the tapered factor the parts can be sanded down to accommodate the different sizes without altering the structural integrity, we can even provide custom made ones for square tubing and all.

I do understand that this is not for your 6k$ bike frame but to allow for those with lesser quality frames to get the benefits of running a belt drive without buying a dedicated new frame.

Thanks for the constructive criticism ... As always.

On a side note, please understand that for many of us it doesn't make sens having a high quality ,pricy and blinggy commuter bike that gets stolen the minute you chain it outside your workplace or school.
Old 11-30-17, 11:12 AM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think it's an interesting design. Looks like a fine way to do it IMO. That said, I'm just meh about belt drives. Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Originally Posted by Speedbird
On a side note, please understand that for many of us it doesn't make sens having a high quality ,pricy and blinggy commuter bike that gets stolen the minute you chain it outside your workplace or school.
Well then, what's the point of cutting up and installing a belt drive on a beater?
Old 11-30-17, 11:20 AM
Speedbird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
Well then, what's the point of cutting up and installing a belt drive on a beater?
For me it's the convenience of a low maintenance solution that doesn't require regular chain cleaning and also the chain greases up everything i wear when I get the bike up the stairs ... I know it sounds ridiculous but so freaking annoying ...

Again really appreciate the criticism.

Thanks !

Pat
Old 11-30-17, 11:28 AM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
with so much bicycle infrastructure out there compared to america, why do european art students insist on overdoing EVERYTHING when it comes to the bicycle?
Old 11-30-17, 11:33 AM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Serious question if you are going to sell these...

Who going to pay when they break and cause bodily injury of some kind? What is your liability? No, a waiver is not going to hold up in court.
Old 11-30-17, 11:35 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by Speedbird
... the chain greases up everything i wear when I get the bike up the stairs ...
Install a full length chainguard. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 11-30-17, 11:42 AM
Speedbird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Serious question if you are going to sell these...

Who going to pay when they break and cause bodily injury of some kind? What is your liability? No, a waiver is not going to hold up in court.
We have been doing 3D printing for the aeronautical industry on top of the motorcycle racing community for quite a while. I think our insurance company is good for it

But thanks for asking

Pat
Old 11-30-17, 12:48 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's where my concerns would be:

1. Impact on handling and stability.
Seat stay is a load bearing component both vertically, and to a lesser extent torsionally under pedaling load. How does the asymmetrical construction material affect the rear triangle? As you have a full tube of one component on one side, and a cut tube with a different material on the other, will this cause any twisting or deflection of the rear wheel under loads? Additionally, if this is an end user installation, how do you ensure that the end user makes their cuts the proper length, changing the length of the stay and thus rear wheel alignment?

2. Frame warranty.
This obviously voids any warranty on the frame. Will you accept liability for any other frame issues that would have otherwise been covered by the manufacturer?

3. Questions I'd ask if I were an investor... What is the market?
Given 1 and 2, what is the marketability of the product? I can see that it does serve a purpose, and I would maybe entertain doing it on an old beater fixie, but will it be priced low enough to be a viable product? I'm not going to spend $100 to perform this upgrade on a frame thats worth < $400, and I'm not going to cut an inch or two of seat stay out of one that's more than $700. So can you produce it and make money off of it selling it for $25?
Additionally, will shops actually stock it? I think you might have a problem getting it in a bike shop with them knowing they (or the customer) will have to destroy the frame to install it.

I don't mean to be negative. I think it's a good idea and I do think that there is a market for it in some areas, but I think it's extremely limited.
Old 11-30-17, 02:02 PM
Speedbird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pesty
Here's where my concerns would be:

1. Impact on handling and stability.
Seat stay is a load bearing component both vertically, and to a lesser extent torsionally under pedaling load. How does the asymmetrical construction material affect the rear triangle? As you have a full tube of one component on one side, and a cut tube with a different material on the other, will this cause any twisting or deflection of the rear wheel under loads? Additionally, if this is an end user installation, how do you ensure that the end user makes their cuts the proper length, changing the length of the stay and thus rear wheel alignment?

2. Frame warranty.
This obviously voids any warranty on the frame. Will you accept liability for any other frame issues that would have otherwise been covered by the manufacturer?

3. Questions I'd ask if I were an investor... What is the market?
Given 1 and 2, what is the marketability of the product? I can see that it does serve a purpose, and I would maybe entertain doing it on an old beater fixie, but will it be priced low enough to be a viable product? I'm not going to spend $100 to perform this upgrade on a frame thats worth < $400, and I'm not going to cut an inch or two of seat stay out of one that's more than $700. So can you produce it and make money off of it selling it for $25?
Additionally, will shops actually stock it? I think you might have a problem getting it in a bike shop with them knowing they (or the customer) will have to destroy the frame to install it.

I don't mean to be negative. I think it's a good idea and I do think that there is a market for it in some areas, but I think it's extremely limited.
Question 1 : This is still in the developpement stage and if installed properly the impact on the seat stay from our tests is minimal, obviously if you are looking for how much flex difference is there from one triangle to the other it is negligible for the average to medium rider. I would obviously not vote to put this on a higher end frame where higher end wheels and frame flex become a major issue. However, for the discussion the strength of these pieces are higher than a full bar of the same size 5052 aluminium. That said it has very little flex.

Question 2 : Obviously void and no.

Question 3 : This is not a startup by any means and we do not rely on any of this as sustainable incomes ... There are far better ways to make a buck in this world. This I made for myself to begin with but had a lot of request to make more ...

We are going to offer it to the community should they be interested but otherwise it will only for special orders and friends.

Always nice to get feedback !

Thanks
Old 11-30-17, 02:09 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Nah.
Old 11-30-17, 03:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'd be interested to see if the technique could be used to create a breakaway travel frame.

There was someone on here recently with photos of a bike he cut up and clamped together and was touring Japan with it. Think he might have been an Aussie.

-Tim-
Old 11-30-17, 03:30 PM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
oh yeah, the world needs 3d printed s&s couplers. get a new hobby.
Old 11-30-17, 10:43 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Why are "engineers" so detached from the way things actually work on this planet?
Old 12-01-17, 05:37 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Usually because of managers.
Old 12-01-17, 07:36 AM
postprimepedal 

Bikes: Windsor the Hour, Cannondale Capo, Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Cannondale Super X

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'mon guys. Speedbird is being innovative. I give him credit. Maybe Speedbird's next brainchild will have us all wondering why no one thought of that before. Without dreamers like Speedchild, we might all be stuck riding bikes with only one gear!
Old 12-01-17, 03:33 PM
Speedbird

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by postprimepedal
C'mon guys. Speedbird is being innovative. I give him credit. Maybe Speedbird's next brainchild will have us all wondering why no one thought of that before. Without dreamers like Speedchild, we might all be stuck riding bikes with only one gear!
Thank you ! Very considerate on your part and yes, the status quo brings no innovation what so ever. Why aren't the purist still riding steel bikes or penny-farthing for all that ... Well, I was expecting all the negative comments and in our field of work we are very used to it and look at it with a constructive eye. Pushing limits and ideas ahead means a lot of shaking peoples views and beliefs and people usually don't like having those shaken. This is what makes change very hard in any part of life.

Again and alway thank you to all for the comments good or bad.

Pat
Old 12-01-17, 04:52 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Personally, I'm just not a fan of people who try to crowdsource market research for free.
Old 12-01-17, 07:26 PM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
The biggest problem is getting good chainline which is more critical with belt drive. With a cheaper frame, and with a destroyed seatstay, it's going to be really hard to keep the belt in line and on the front ring. And what's the cost of components? Who is going to spend 3-400 (guessing) to install on a beater that will have trouble working properly.
Think about how much the back end of a bike flexes when a commuter takes off from a set of lights in the ring gear.
Old 12-02-17, 01:03 AM
neamatoad
forever shiny and chrome

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
this is perfect for someone who thinks "man, my single speed bike is great, but it's just so high maintenance"
Old 12-02-17, 07:26 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Has anyone noticed that the OP’s modified test bike is still chain drive ?

Originally Posted by Dcv

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.