Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

After The Fact Question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

After The Fact Question

Old 09-26-20, 11:27 AM
Cacti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
After The Fact Question

As a newbie to both riding and this forum, I won't ask the tiresome "which bike should I get" question. Instead, I'd like to say what I already bought and find out what I can do with it, if I'm going to like it, or if I'll be giving up riding almost as soon as I start

I just turned 59 and probably haven't ridden a bike since I was 17. I live in a desert climate. I mostly swim in the summer and hike in the winter, but was looking for another more accessible outdoor winter activity close to home. Since I hate running or even walking, I bought a bike without having any idea whether I'll enjoy riding or not (although, I suspect I will or I wouldn't have bought it). I went pretty cheap. A Gravity Mountainbase LTD27. Since I do plan on taking it into the mountains and riding some of the easier paths, I'll also will be doing quite a bit of riding on the flats (paved paths), I thought this was a decent compromise for the money (figured I couldn't go wrong for $300). So my first question is, am I totally wrong about this?

My other question is if I'll be able to get any sensation of speed on paved flats. It's a 21 speed and I don't expect to be going +20mph the whole time, but am I going to be pedaling like crazy and getting nowhere? I'd at least like to get to 15mph with a decent constant pedal and without full all out. This first season will be the test. If I enjoy riding, I'll either upgrade to a better quality bike or keep this one and also get a road bike if I'm unhappy with the speed

It's on order and it won't be shipping for about 4 weeks. In the meantime, I'm making a list of accessories I'll need

Helmet
Mirror (helmet?)
Patch kit
Water bottle + holder
Spare innertube (part of the patch kit?)
Padded pants (I have shirts I workout in, but will I be needing any special shirt?)
Shoes?
Light for night riding
Is there a mount I can get for my phone?

I know these questions have probably been answered over and over, but I'm brand new to the forum and not sure where to look. I'm mainly very anxious as to what I can expect on my first few rides. I'd appreciate any advice and feedback

Thanks,
Old 09-26-20, 11:31 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
In addition to a patch kit and spare tube, you need a way to reinflate it. Either CO2 or a pump.
You don’t need a jersey and bike shorts/bibs, but they are nice to have.
Old 09-26-20, 11:36 AM
Cacti

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
In addition to a patch kit and spare tube, you need a way to reinflate it. Either CO2 or a pump.
You don’t need a jersey and bike shorts/bibs, but they are nice to have.
Thank you! I was told I probably want to get a stand up hand pump for home before I go out riding and then a CO2 for when I'm riding. But I'm not sure if that fits in the patch kit or if I need to mount it?
Old 09-26-20, 11:36 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Never tried a Patch on the road.

I carry 5 spare tubes, one spare tire, Topeak pump, and CO2 for when it is hot or raining

Old 09-26-20, 11:51 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacti
Thank you! I was told I probably want to get a stand up hand pump for home before I go out riding and then a CO2 for when I'm riding. But I'm not sure if that fits in the patch kit or if I need to mount it?
They are pretty small. Just the cartridge itself and a chuck that screws on and then you attach to the valve. I keep mine in a saddle bag. I also carry a small pump that fits under the bottle cage.
Old 09-26-20, 11:56 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Welcome back to cycling!

In my view, things like patching a tube and maybe even inflating with CO2 are best attempted at least once at home before you're forced to do them while on a ride. I don't leave the house with untested gear. On the other hand, the most likely place where you'll discover a flat tire is at home, the day after a ride. Also, most of your use of a pump will be just keeping your tires inflated, since the air diffuses out of them at a constant rate, so a floor pump for home use is more than just an emergency necessity but part of routine bike care.

I live in a region without "goat head" thorns, so flat tires are pretty rare for me. I carry a spare tube, patch kit, and small pump. I've patched tubes while on the road, but I can't always locate the puncture without submerging the tube in water. So, I consider a spare tube to be a necessity. From what I can tell, pump vs CO2 is just a matter of preference.
Old 09-26-20, 12:06 PM
Cacti

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Welcome back to cycling!

In my view, things like patching a tube and maybe even inflating with CO2 are best attempted at least once at home before you're forced to do them while on a ride. I don't leave the house with untested gear. On the other hand, the most likely place where you'll discover a flat tire is at home, the day after a ride. Also, most of your use of a pump will be just keeping your tires inflated, since the air diffuses out of them at a constant rate, so a floor pump for home use is more than just an emergency necessity but part of routine bike care.

I live in a region without "goat head" thorns, so flat tires are pretty rare for me. I carry a spare tube, patch kit, and small pump. I've patched tubes while on the road, but I can't always locate the puncture without submerging the tube in water. So, I consider a spare tube to be a necessity. From what I can tell, pump vs CO2 is just a matter of preference.
This is very helpful, thanks. Yes, a spare innertube should be on my list of things to take on my rides and I agree it's best if I practice switching one out BEFORE I need to!

Does anyone have a comment on the bike I purchased? I won't be insulted if it was a dumb bike to get for what I need. I'm just very anxious to get it and start riding and want to know what to expect
Old 09-26-20, 12:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm

There is a gear chart which can tell you what speed you'd be riding at 90 rpm in 42x12, but I am too lazy to look it up.

Sheldon Brown seems to think you'd be doing 14.7 mph at 90 rpm (https://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html)

You will probably buy an inexpensive road bike in a couple seasons if you find you do a lot of road riding.

You might also want to get some slick tires if you plan to ride a lot of pavement. Knobby tires are noisy and inefficient on pavement, and the pavement can eat the knobs, so you won't have them when you need them when you ride trails again.

I carry two spare tubes and sometimes glueless patches---and have needed them. C02 is fin but it is single-use, and if you need to fix a second flat .....

Patching tubes can be iffy if the light is poor or conditions unfavorable generally. Sometimes it can be hard to find the leak, and it seems like a lot of pieces to play with. I'd rather swap the tube and patch at home. I have used the glueless patches because they are as simple as a band-aid or a piece of tape---assuming you can find the hole.

A floor pump is also a worthwhile tool, because mini-pumps can be slow.

You don't need special shoes unless you get special pedals. Best not even to worry about all that for the first season or two.

Enjoy riding. Most of us do .... it's easy to enjoy.
Old 09-26-20, 12:39 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Opinions on bikes in this range are going to vary.

Does it fit? If not, nothing else matters. Imagine you bought a glove. Your not going to worry about how warm it is or the quality of stitching is you can't get it on your hand or it's three sizes too big. If it's in the box, then getting the fit adjusted with saddle height, stem length, saddle fore/aft, bar height is important. No, critical.

A lot depends on how well it has been built. Bearing adjustment and lubrication, cabling, frame alignment matter a lot, and can vary quite a bit on bikes at this level.

As mentioned, selecting tires appropriate for your usage makes a big difference. MTB tires on pavement are not ideal. Slick tires on wet or loose dirt are even worse.

If you want to get the most out of your bike, either build a relationship with a LBS, people at a co-op (if you can find one open these days), or start doing some research.

​​​​​​
Old 09-26-20, 01:01 PM
Cacti

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Very good advice, thanks!

Yes, I made sure it would fit me (based on my measurements and the bike's specs). Also, great idea to get to know a LBS. I called one before ordering this online and he just didn't have anything (lots of bikes are out of stock now). The guy was very nice and spent quite some time with me on the phone although, his advice on what is the best bike for me differed a bit from my buddy's who is a pretty serious cyclist

While I was willing to spend quite a bit more, this bike hit everything on my buddy's checklist on what he thought I'd want. Front suspension, hydraulic brakes, gear ratio, etc. That said, I went with the cheapest line on almost every component (derailers, brakes, etc.) whereas, he advised me to go no lower than 3rd in the hierarchy of lines. I guess I'll figure out how important smooth gear shifting and good braking ability is, the hard way. I figured I'd go cheap just to see if I like riding or even like that type of bike. I'm almost looking at this first bike as disposable given the price of $300. If it craps out on me in my first year, or if I get really into riding, I'll definitely purchase a bike with better quality parts next year. I just figured I'd rather make a $300 mistake than a much more expensive one if it turns out I don't like riding or if a different bike better suits me

hanks again!
Old 09-26-20, 01:01 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Give no thought to what others think about your bike. Just ride it and see what your experience is as the miles go by. The main thing is to ride it and keep up with maintenance. One suggestion I will make, it is only an opinion, since you purchase a mountain bike, if your riding is going to be mostly or all on paved roads or paths, consider getting a different set of tires, something with tread and good flat protection. I think you may like tires in 32 to 35mm wide. 28mm is what I would probably go with, but you might want a bit wider. You can get decent tires in those sizes for mid $20's each. They will last a lot of miles.

I do not know your specific bike model, but Gravity bikes from bikesdirect.com are decent. Probably better than anything you could have gotten at a local W'mart or similar big box outlet. It definitely is put together better. Hopefully, you purchased one with the proper fit. Being comfortable will make sticking to, and enjoying, riding the bike much more likely.

I am in my late 60's and have been a road cyclist since I was 18 or 19. Comfort means much more to me now than it did years ago. I am no longer bothered by someone passing me. I am close to hitting the 6,000 mile mark for the year.

Enjoy the ride and be safe!
Old 09-26-20, 01:08 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts

Does anyone have a comment on the bike I purchased? I won't be insulted if it was a dumb bike to get for what I need. I'm just very anxious to get it and start riding and want to know what to expect
Perfectly fine choice for most folks. Good all-round hybrid mountain type with some suspension, easily-maintained (or replaced) setup and brand-name parts, though lower-end within the product lineup. This is like an entry-level bike shop bike, at what is probably a better price though, and better quality than what you would get at a department store. Have fun!
Old 09-26-20, 02:00 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
When I returned to cycling as an adult 48 years ago I was in decent shape, but the first rides were shorter than I expected and extremely difficult. My legs were in decent shape for long walks, not for biking. The day after my first ride, I got on the bike, pedaled a few revs, and got off the bike because my butt was too sore to sustain another ride. In later years, every season I had to re-acclimate my butt and my legs to the bike.

With luck you'll have an easier time, but if you have a lot of pain, back off, start again slowly, and persist. It typically doesn't take long for a body to adjust to cycling.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-26-20, 03:00 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
...figured I couldn't go wrong for $300...
You figured...RIGHT!

Usually we're hearing from people who have spend thousands of dollars on a bike, only to find it isn't working for them, either the riding, the bike or both. Is it this bike?
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...es-g275-g2.htm

It won't be as light and fast as a road bike; and it won't be as tough and capable on a rough single-track. But it will get you riding. You'll discover if you want to go road, off-road or hybrid, or you may just keep the bike with a few modifications.

At the price you paid, you can keep it as a back-up when you buy your next bike, and you will know more about what you want and don't want by then and feel more confident about your next purchase.

You'll also know more about your body's capabilities and needs by then also.

I'm your age and I've been riding my whole life except for five years around college. But back in my 40s I started playing softball after a 13 year hiatus. I had to learn my body all over again.

This bike was a smart purchase. Yes, you will enjoy riding even more with a more capable bike, but when you are ready to buy it, you will be a more capable purchaser too, and it will be a better purchase than if you had spent more money on a more expensive bike now.

Go, ride and enjoy this bike now...it will only get better!
Likes For BobbyG: