Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Pinarello Super Record 1984???

Old 03-14-21, 06:23 PM
RowdyRhino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pinarello Super Record 1984???

Hey folks I’m looking for some info on this bikes worth. I came across it a while back and am interested in selling it but I have no clue what it’s worth. It’s a red pinarello with the remnants of a campione olimpico decal on the the frame. Front badge is stamped metal in pristine condition. It has Olympic Rings and marca dep treviso markings.
campagnolo:
crank, wheels (record strada)
cinelli head tube and handlebars
suntour superbe pro front and rear derailleur (seem to be aftermarket) suntour superbe brakes

I’m new and can’t post pics but if someone doesn’t mind posting them for me I’m happy to pass them along. Any info is appreciated.
Old 03-15-21, 04:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Mine was purchased for $225. Has a replacement fork and a small dent in seatstay. Mismatched wheels. ShimaNo drivetrain. But nice SL tubes.

As purchased

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-15-21 at 04:16 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-15-21, 07:29 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts
Pic asst. https://bikeforums.net/g/album/11907765

Old 03-15-21, 10:16 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Yours is nicer than mine based on a 1 pic comparison.

Clean it up, replace tires, new bar wrap. If you are in a big city I would list for $500, hoping to find 'that Pinarello buyer'.

I'm not a Pinarello expert, but if it is a 1984, the model is possibly Record. The Super Record had more chrome (full seatstays as well as chainstays).

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-15-21 at 10:21 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-16-21, 08:57 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
I think the "Super" in the thread title is unnecessary. Pretty sure this is just a Record.

I had one, this find: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lo-record.html

The paint on the Record frames, that rainbow metal-flake, it's awesome. I ended up getting the one I linked, as pictured, for $160 and, honestly, for the amount of work it required on rust remediation and working off old, nasty rock-hard grease, I'd say it was worth it.

Yours is in considerably better shape, the decals are actually visible, which means the bike was either only lightly ridden, or they're replacements. If replacements, there's a solid chance you'll be able to see voids in the rainbow metal-flake topcoat where they were, at least this was the case on the frame I just linked.

Although it's not Italian-equipped - not uncommon there, a lot of folks in the era preferred Japanese mechs - the equipment per your description is higher-end stuff. If this is fully serviced and ready to ride, I could see it fetching $750-850 if no dents dings, tweaks or major rust. If it needs work, hasn't been fully serviced (repack hubs/bottom bracket/headset, and new cables/housings at least) $350-450 if no dents/dings/tweaks.

Note this is a taller bike, looks to be in the 61-62cm range. Will require a taller, 6'2+ rider which may limit your market and thus your price. I feel like 5'10" tends to the median range of men in the US these days, I always seem to sell bikes in the 55-57 range while anything 59cm+ tends to hang around for weeks or months.

Edit: Can't recall what I got for the frameset when I got rid of mine. I swapped it + cash to another BF'er for his Italvega of equal size. both were too small to me, and the Italvega frameset went to another BF'er last year. Go figure? Pretty sure I got my money's worth out of the trade, recouped my expense at least. YMMV.