Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Are folding bikes worth messing around with?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 07:52 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

A couple of folding bikes showed up at the scrap yard. I didn't have a phone/camera with me, and the branding name was apparently unmemorable. Cious?? or some such, but basically the same as all the bulged tube folders in the 70's across the market. Bikes have bulged tubes that neck down for the headset, cottered cranks that appear specific to the bottom bracket. I took one set off and the dust shield was attached to the crank. The wheels have steel rims and the rear hubs are Saches Torpedos, so I grabbed the rear wheels, a set of fenders and the Francophile chain guards. I only had a couple of minutes to pull the parts, and I realized that the bikes are a little rough looking they actually in pretty good mechanical shape. So my question is whether vintage folding bikes have any intrinsic value, beyond that of any other beat up 70's gas pipe bike? There's about a 50% chance the frames are still available, and I would be picking them up as a flip investment not a personal toy.
Old 04-07-21, 08:45 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
Several have come my way, over the years, and I could never find an on-line buyer for one. The last folder I had was a very nice Raleigh Twenty. I donated it to Bicycles for Humanity.

In truth, I have not tried to sell any in a few years. Things might have changed.
Old 04-07-21, 09:55 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
Cheap folders are an ongoing exercise in frustration. Wobbly hinges, stems & handlebars, creaky joints and low-rent parts all add to the experience

I've stayed away from the older European folders because I don't like working on cottered cranks, that's my dealbreaker. If you do, though, and have a parts supply or access to one, go for it.
Old 04-07-21, 10:21 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
I think it depends on the brand. Bike Friday, Brompton, Dehon, are likely candidates. Others are not.

I flipped a Bike Friday, $300 into it and $925 back. Both the BF and Bromy are not likely to be in a dump.
Old 04-07-21, 10:40 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
I'm in the middle of restoring a dubious vintage folder, and it's been one of the most frustrating restos I've done. The BB is a Thompson type (had to order from Holland). Stickers that were almost-but-not-quite right came from Poland. Can't fit rim brakes on this frame, so I'm stuck with a coaster. Stem is 22mm, not 22.2, so that's another problem. And I know when it's all said and done, most likely I'll be stuck with it, cause they don't appear to move. I'd say do it if you really want to mess with one, skip it if you're not feeling driven.
Old 04-07-21, 01:58 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
If your still looking for parts I can get pictures tomorrow, if they haven't been crushed.
Old 04-07-21, 02:00 PM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
If your still looking for parts I can get pictures tomorrow, if they haven't been crushed.
That's nice of you, but I think I have all the parts (other than tracking down the elusive alloy wheels with a coaster brake combo only found on a certain very specific class of kids bikes).