Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is 200lbs too much for a carbon frame?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-03, 05:27 PM
Avalanche325

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze / GT Avalanche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am considering getting a road bike and am curious about this. I am 6'1' 200lbs. I am a fairly strong rider (big legs, and I love to climb hills).

Since most cycling equipment seems to be built for the 165lb rider, would I have any problems if I go carbon?

I like to ride aggresive workout rides, not long distance, but will probably stretch that once I get a road bike.
Old 11-28-03, 05:31 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Probably not. I almost bought a Trek 5500 a few years ago. I was 6'-0" and 210 at the time. The service manager said my size was not a problem for the bike but suggested wheels with a minimum of 32 spokes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-28-03, 06:06 PM
Kid-Cycle
Folsom Prison Blues

Bikes: '04 Trek 5200, '73 Raleigh Grand Sport "Fixie" & '94 Specialized Rock Hopper Comp MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being 6'1" 230# I too was afraid of carbon until I spoke with two different LBS dealers who informed me that Trek and Giant are not concerned about rider weight until they approache 300#. After test riding several bikes I recently bought a Trek 5200 and quickly learned that carbon frames with Bontrager rims is not frail. I love the quiet riding road absorbing feel of the carbon frame. It is truely amazing how fast these bikes are.
Old 11-28-03, 08:44 PM
dtufts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up my 5200 when I was at 205 lbs. None of the local shops had any concern about this weight.

I've put 2,000 miles on it with no problems. Bontrager race lites are as true as the day I got them.

I'm now down to 170.
Old 11-28-03, 09:01 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A friend of mine rode a carbon Trek and weighed 250. Several thousand miles later he sold it and it is still going strong.
Old 11-29-03, 06:31 AM
TrekRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 6'3", 240lbs, I am glad to see testimonials for the Trek 5200 from other normal sized riders.
Old 12-02-03, 12:59 AM
Wolfman
Rough Rider

Bikes: Trek 9800, Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'2" about 210 and have been riding Trek carbon fiber and OCLV carbon for the past few years with no problems whatsoever. In addition Trek stands behind their stuff as I sold my old olcv mountain bike frame to a roommate who broke it sliding it into a tree stump and they replaced it no questions asked! Anyways, I own a Trek 2300 and have had no problems due to my weight with the frame. I am currently upgrading to a Trek 5200 and expect the same to hold true.
Old 12-02-03, 07:26 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My understanding is a carbon only frame, either lugged or monoque, will work fine with larger people with high spoke count (32/36) wheels. It is the hybrid aluminum and carbon frames that can create a problem.
Old 12-02-03, 09:30 AM
bandaidman
go wake forest!!!!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the reputation is that a carbon frame will not last as long for a 200+ person compared to other frame materials. i shied away from it for that reason although i am "only" 190

i do have a friend who is 6'7" and 265 who has ridden one for 5-6 years...no problems.
Old 09-02-04, 04:51 PM
mcavana
the commutor / tourer

Bikes: trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i am 6'3'' 265 pounds and have had no problems at all with my 2004 giant tcr2
Old 09-02-04, 05:06 PM
Steelrider

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm told by friends who have them that the Trek 110/20 OCLV carbon frame is warranted for life, aside from the fact that they give no caveats to sub-300 lb'rs. This isn't the same carbon fiber technology as when carbon was first introduced. I wouldn't be worried, especially if it's got a lifetime warranty...
Old 09-02-04, 06:24 PM
T E X
Live STRONG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen a 250+ rider riding a 5900.
Old 09-02-04, 06:46 PM
sydney

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelrider
I'm told by friends who have them that the Trek 110/20 OCLV carbon frame is warranted for life, aside from the fact that they give no caveats to sub-300 lb'rs. This isn't the same carbon fiber technology as when carbon was first introduced. I wouldn't be worried, especially if it's got a lifetime warranty...
The warranty is for defects in materials and workmanship, and not abuse or fatigue. Anything beyond that is extra sprinkles and nothing but PR and good will. Don't go to the bank with it.
Old 09-02-04, 07:04 PM
Steelrider

Bikes: Albert Eisentraut custom w/DA, Kestrel RT 700 w/Ultegra, Jamis Tangier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sydney
The warranty is for defects in materials and workmanship, and not abuse or fatigue. Anything beyond that is extra sprinkles and nothing but PR and good will. Don't go to the bank with it.
Yep, you're right. It is a "limited lifetime warranty", but know two guys who have had to take advantage of this (one aluminum, and one early carbon) and the Trek dealer, to their credit, took care of them. Another non-Trek warranty problem got jambed up by mfgr. on the "incidental damage" clause, citing other seemingly unrelated issues as voiding the warranty. A good LBS goes a long way toward feeling more secure about this. There are no guarantees in life, but some are definitely better than others...
Old 09-02-04, 07:55 PM
hbstovfam5

Bikes: 2004 Look KG386

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'2" 195 and I have a Look KG386, this bike has been very good to me and there have been no issues with the strength of the bike.

Carbon is by far the most comfortable ride I have ever been on.

You will be very happy with a carbon bike.
Old 09-02-04, 08:20 PM
VeganRider
Just Do It !

Bikes: Litespeed Ti, Trek Carbon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Avalanche325]I am considering getting a road bike and am curious about this. I am 6'1' 200lbs. I am a fairly strong rider (big legs, and I love to climb hills).

Hey guy, if I remember right didn't you just buy a new Litespeed this spring? hope nothing's wrong with it! didn't crash it did you? If not, could I ask you to please buy me a bike too? please? come on, wouldn't that be a good warm feeling? J/K. Bought my plastic Trek around the same time you got your Litespeed. Both are great bikes. Try one out, I bet if you will love carbon, if you can, find a brick road to test ride on too. The difference people report is no hype; it's not a dead ride, it's smooth and connected. I think it's stiff, but dont know if my opinion on the frame means anything because I'm rather light. But is it the same difference for bigger ridders since they get a bigger frame? Hmm.. So, anyhow, are you sure I can't talk you into a bike 4 me? you know a cyclist can never have too many bikes, I WILL MAKE ROOM! have fun shopping!

Last edited by VeganRider; 09-02-04 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 10:42 PM
hollow

Bikes: Cervelo P2K, Cannondale R1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 6'3" and, until recently, I weighed around 235 lbs. I rode my current bike at that weight for about 2 years. I don't think that frame materials are as important as wheel strength. I have just about totally destroyed my rear wheel, it has cracked in about 10 places. I asked when I bought the bike if they thought I needed to upgrade the wheels, but sadly they misinformed me and told me not to worry about it. I'm ordering new wheels tomorrow.

Now I am 210 pounds, but I'm still going to order stronger wheels than when I was 235.
Old 09-02-04, 11:08 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
What I find interesting is that Viner is the only company that I know of with the guts
to put weight limits on their web-site:
https://www.viner.it/english/index.htm

All of their frames have a 90kg (198lb) limit, with one frame having a 75kg (165lb) limit.
Old 09-03-04, 02:11 AM
fogrider

Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in my LBS and the guy told me about this guy that had a trek and he rode it hard! crack it and trek replaced it...twice! with trek, they are betting the there are not many guys like that. most people take pretty good care of their bikes even if there is a life time warranty.
Old 09-03-04, 06:55 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
wow, this is an old thread...the original poster bought a litespeed firenze, I think.
Old 09-03-04, 08:02 AM
Bruco
Wind Breaker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phatman
wow, this is an old thread...the original poster bought a litespeed firenze, I think.
Was about to file a similar reply. Avalanche made the right choice.
Old 09-03-04, 12:16 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
He's probably lost 50lbs by now