Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New rider here, need advice please!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 06:34 AM
Nashvegas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't ridden a bike since I was 18. Needless to say it has been a while. I am looking at buying a Raleigh Cadent T1. Anyone here have experience w/ this cycle or company? Are there better bikes for the money? I am a large framed guy. I was pointed in this bikes direction because the salesman said it was quite sturdy. Any comments would be great. Thanks
Old 07-17-13, 08:33 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Raleigh is a perfectly good brand. I've seen quality bikes of theirs all over the spectrum - from very basic to high performance. I can't say I have much experience first-hand, though.
I am curious about your choice of a fitness bike over a traditional road bike. Was this intentional, or have you just not really looked into it? Personally, I'd suggest the road style unless you have gone this way for a reason.

Also, don't worry about not having ridden in a while. It's like riding a- well, suffice to say you shouldn't have too much trouble.
Old 07-17-13, 08:34 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Looks like a decent bike. Raleigh's are good. Take it for a test ride, compare to a few others. Decide on the style you want, buy one and ride !

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-17-13, 09:28 AM
Nashvegas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PiLigand
Raleigh is a perfectly good brand. I've seen quality bikes of theirs all over the spectrum - from very basic to high performance. I can't say I have much experience first-hand, though.
I am curious about your choice of a fitness bike over a traditional road bike. Was this intentional, or have you just not really looked into it? Personally, I'd suggest the road style unless you have gone this way for a reason.

Also, don't worry about not having ridden in a while. It's like riding a- well, suffice to say you shouldn't have too much trouble.
I chose to go w/ a fitness bike cause I have about 80 lbs I need to loose before ill be ready for a traditional road bike. I weigh about 300 right now. Already lost a lot, just need to add more cardio to my routine. I figured cycling would be great and I could do it w/ my kids. Thanks for the replies.

Cheers!!
Old 07-17-13, 09:36 AM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after being off a bike for a long time, it may take a bit of time to get used to it. I was a bit wobbly at first. Of course once you build up some speed, it's easier to stabilize.
Old 07-17-13, 09:56 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6765 Post(s)
Liked 5,476 Times in 3,222 Posts
Also you might check out the Clydesdale & Athena forum.

Lots of advice and support there.
Old 07-17-13, 10:31 AM
buckwheat987

Bikes: BMC SLR02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Raleigh Carbon Revenio and I like it very much. Also the bike shop I got it from is very nice to work with.

You will not go wrong with a raleigh.
Old 07-28-13, 05:06 PM
Nashzel

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2,Trek 2300, Specialized Carve Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being in Nashvegas myself, I would suggest you go talk to the guys at Moab down in Franklin. Absolutely great guys to work with, not snobby at all.