Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

My new bicycle pulls to left and right

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

My new bicycle pulls to left and right

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-23, 09:07 PM
MrFriendly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
It's sounding more like maybe you should hire someone to ride the bike for you too.

How long until you blame someone else for your crash because you rode your bike at 5 mph with no hands?
Will you then sue them after smearing their reputation all over the place??

"I Love my Rout RSL" You, a self-proclaimed "newbie", buy a full on race Gravel bike, then you list a bunch of mods you had installed before you ever took delivery...
now it's too twitchy for your skill level and that angers you.
C'mon....
Wow.
Hire a rider too.
Seriously.
they never mentioned rake/trail because they knew you wouldn't begin to know what the terms mean.

sorry to sound so harsh, but that seems to be my thing in life.. telling people that their armpits reek, that there's spinach in their teeth.

there's a strong possibility that the shop you took the bike to is sick of dealing with you.
sorry, but it's probably true.
And truing a disc demands use of... ready for this? A Crescent wrench, skill, and a good eye.
there are dozens of posts on this forum regarding bleeding a hydraulic brake, including my Honda Certified M/C Mechanic Tip to get even the tiniest bubbles out.... PS.. a few taps with a screwdriver helps get the bubbles moving up the line to the caliper....

and i still think this is about you wanting a cushy 'Vette and instead buying a supercharged AC Cobra.
Go buy the 'Vette. Leave it bone stock.
Read my post, I never described the steering as twitchy.
Also, I don't understand where you're getting "then you list a bunch of mods you had installed before you ever took delivery" from. I haven not added any mods to my Routt RSL.
And last, it took me ten minutes of reading to understand rake and trail length. It's not rocket science.
Likes For MrFriendly:
Old 04-28-23, 10:07 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
It's sounding more like maybe you should hire someone to ride the bike for you too.

How long until you blame someone else for your crash because you rode your bike at 5 mph with no hands?
Will you then sue them after smearing their reputation all over the place??

"I Love my Rout RSL" You, a self-proclaimed "newbie", buy a full on race Gravel bike, then you list a bunch of mods you had installed before you ever took delivery...
now it's too twitchy for your skill level and that angers you.
C'mon....
Wow.
Hire a rider too.
Seriously.
they never mentioned rake/trail because they knew you wouldn't begin to know what the terms mean.

sorry to sound so harsh, but that seems to be my thing in life.. telling people that their armpits reek, that there's spinach in their teeth.

there's a strong possibility that the shop you took the bike to is sick of dealing with you.
sorry, but it's probably true.
And truing a disc demands use of... ready for this? A Crescent wrench, skill, and a good eye.
there are dozens of posts on this forum regarding bleeding a hydraulic brake, including my Honda Certified M/C Mechanic Tip to get even the tiniest bubbles out.... PS.. a few taps with a screwdriver helps get the bubbles moving up the line to the caliper....

and i still think this is about you wanting a cushy 'Vette and instead buying a supercharged AC Cobra.
Go buy the 'Vette. Leave it bone stock.
This is nothing but vitriol. You truly appear to just hate people.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-28-23, 10:11 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFriendly
I just got the bike back from Trek, and it cost me $90:
  1. The front disk brake still rubs, which is annoying. The mechanic told me that rotors today are "soft" and things like this can happen. He did acknowledge that the rotor is slightly bent, which is something I've noticed too when spinning the wheel.
  2. The front break is still spongy and not as powerful as my Faran, which has similar Shimano setup.
  3. The chain slipping/jumping hasn't gone away. If I backpedal when in highest gear, the chain starts grinding and eventually climbs the neighboring sprocket.
At this point, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Anyone know a good mechanic in the Austin area?
Did they not true the rotor? Or is that the way it came out after truing?

My experience is that most mechanics don't understand how to really get disc brake calipers to work symmetrically when they aren't perfect out of the box. Any small difference in friction between left and right piston will make the brake not center right. But there are ways of fixing that.
Old 04-29-23, 11:47 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFriendly
Read my post, I never described the steering as twitchy.
Also, I don't understand where you're getting "then you list a bunch of mods you had installed before you ever took delivery" from. I haven not added any mods to my Routt RSL.
And last, it took me ten minutes of reading to understand rake and trail length. It's not rocket science.
You're right.. it's not rocket science.. it's bicycle/motorcycle/automotive science.... oddly, the terms change somewhat between the three...

re: mods before purchase..."...but because they were not going to be able to source all the parts that I wanted for the build..." this sounds like mods before purchase to me.. how about you?

And sorry if my use of "twitchy" instead of "pulls to the left or right" and "I can't ride with no hands at 5mph" confused you.

I'm glad that you now understand rake/trail after reading up on them.

have you tried the things i mentioned way up the thread about the minor mods other RSL owners have used? they are racers and know bikes quite well, i'm certain. Seat back a bit further, and a shorter stem? these two things made them happier... If it was my bike, i'd try a bit longer fork too..... or ride it as-is... with the seat back a bit and/or a shorter stem.
Old 04-29-23, 02:48 PM
WT21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Deleted.

Last edited by WT21; 04-29-23 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-29-23, 02:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Have not read all 4 pages, but this sounds like it could be a tight or misaligned headset.