Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Single question to assess shade tree mechanics?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Single question to assess shade tree mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 10:25 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
What do you dial in on brifters?
And how do you “tune” wheels?
Well I don't use Brifters but I have been on bikes that have them. When ya get that bike that has excellent stopping power and shifting up and down to the point the bike is almost intuitive, then its dialed in. It's not a term much used anymore. (Kinda like a word used when you finally get your 454 with a cam to idle back in 68.)

A true test of a wheel is not just Truing it. Making sure it is balanced out, damage repaired, tension just right, and SINGING is what makes a tuned wheel.

But of course urbanknight, you know this... Ha
Old 05-06-23, 10:36 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
...TikTok attention span has come to roost...
Off topic: I was really surprised a few years ago when our Central Texas roofing crew was replacing our roof. The all Hispanic crew was up there in the heat doing the do and the Gopher on the ground was fetching stuff as required. He was also watching a piece of carpet on the hood of a truck with all the guys cell phones. I asked about it and he replied in Spanish, "NO PHONES ON THE ROOF"...
Old 05-06-23, 10:41 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I would just be happy to be able to get my freaking canti lever brakes adjusted properly.....everything else is just white noise lol.
Old 05-06-23, 11:09 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
"Ever overhaul a Sturmey AW?"
That used to be one interview question for getting hired at shops around here about 40 years ago before the days of "disposable wheels" - describing step-by-step the overhaul process from memory. My skills don't extend to that particular action, so I'm glad I wasn't asked it.

One shop I applied at simply asked me: "Build a wheel." I was just out of high school and didn't have that skill, so I said I couldn't - yet. He must have been desperate for help or took pity on me, as he hired me anyway, and the first thing I learned was his method of building and lacing, which I still use to this day. Half a year later, I was fired as I was becoming a good mechanic, but not a fast mechanic, whereas the shop needed both to make money. I worked at other shops in college on a piecework rate (per bike, not per hour), and was able to work at my pace and give the quality they wanted. Now I just do it for myself, friends, and about 3-4 nonprofits.

Interestingly, the wheelbuilding method I learned is not The Method espoused by Jobst, and so when I teach I have to advise people that it is a different approach. But the wheels have held up for decades, and the valve hole is always at the correct spot.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-06-23, 11:22 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I have seen example after example after example of the results of grabbing the screw driver first. Usually as chewed up and broken spokes from the derailer sending the chain into the wheel or as pretzeled derailer.
You mentioned you volunteer at co-ops. You're probably familiar with a client coming in with a poorly-adjusted bike, and trying to explain the tune-up and repair process to them step by step. Many clients are good with this, but you sometimes get the person muttering quietly or loudly "IknowwhatImdoingIvebeenworkingonbikesforyearsandIcandothisstuffitsjustthisbikeisapieceofgarbageando therwiseIcoulddothismyself" where it seems on their bike every spoke has been adjusted with a 12" crescent and every bolt tightened with Mr. Vise Grips. And then you get the Tool Abusers, such as clients using a hammer and screwdriver when you're standing there ready to hand them the lockring tool. Or the person bringing in a frame with the mangled remains of a cartridge BB still within and saying "I didn't have a tool, so I used... stuff.. to try to remove it." And you're the bad guy for telling them that BB is now a permanent resident in that frame.

But hey, it's part of the job. And as I remind my customers, "My advice and assistance is worth exactly what you paid for it!"

Yes, we have insurance...
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-06-23, 11:31 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Depends on the age of the grip shifter. If you have one…poor bastard!…don’t remove the cable before finding out if it is a straight run or if it is one of those weird “loop around the barrel” ones.
With all the twist shifters I've wrestled with, I've actually gotten reasonably experienced in cable replacement, although some brands and models do require more exercising of the bounds of one's vocabulary. On some of them due to their age and construction, it will only work well if a grip is nestled next to it to keep it together after the brittle retainer cracked, but hey, it still shifts. Others I can do almost in my sleep.

I'm sure someday when they tear down our house they'll find all of those funny-shaped springs that somehow fell or bounced out of the shifter and vanished, after the cable was properly routed and just before the final closure...
Old 05-06-23, 01:40 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Well I don't use Brifters but I have been on bikes that have them. When ya get that bike that has excellent stopping power and shifting up and down to the point the bike is almost intuitive, then its dialed in. It's not a term much used anymore. (Kinda like a word used when you finally get your 454 with a cam to idle back in 68.)

A true test of a wheel is not just Truing it. Making sure it is balanced out, damage repaired, tension just right, and SINGING is what makes a tuned wheel.

But of course urbanknight, you know this... Ha
Got it. I guess dialing in the brifters means you dialed in both the derailleurs and brakes properly. Also that makes sense why you say “tuning” and not just truing. Just hadn’t heard the terms used that way before.
Old 05-06-23, 01:45 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Not certain how you dial in brifters unless we're talking reach adjustment.
Yeah, my mind also went to brifters with adjustable reach. Glad zandoval clarified.
Old 05-06-23, 10:09 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
As someone that has worked in LBSs, I have no sympathy for the cyclist that got screwed over from a shadetree mechanic.

LBSs stay in business year after year for good reasons. If a cyclist can't afford good service, they shouldn't be cycling.
Look I know it may be off topic at this point, but I'm not letting that statement go unchallenged. It's one thing to opine that those who can afford good service should do so; what you said instead is just elitist BS.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 05-06-23, 11:09 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
You mentioned you volunteer at co-ops. You're probably familiar with a client coming in with a poorly-adjusted bike, and trying to explain the tune-up and repair process to them step by step. Many clients are good with this, but you sometimes get the person muttering quietly or loudly "IknowwhatImdoingIvebeenworkingonbikesforyearsandIcandothisstuffitsjustthisbikeisapieceofgarbageando therwiseIcoulddothismyself" where it seems on their bike every spoke has been adjusted with a 12" crescent and every bolt tightened with Mr. Vise Grips. And then you get the Tool Abusers, such as clients using a hammer and screwdriver when you're standing there ready to hand them the lockring tool. Or the person bringing in a frame with the mangled remains of a cartridge BB still within and saying "I didn't have a tool, so I used... stuff.. to try to remove it." And you're the bad guy for telling them that BB is now a permanent resident in that frame.

But hey, it's part of the job. And as I remind my customers, "My advice and assistance is worth exactly what you paid for it!"

and there is the PERFECT question... "Where do you use a Vice Grip plier on a bicycle?"
Good answer.... " Nowhere"
Best answer "Only on the nuts some bozo previously rounded off with one, then i replace the nut, and write it down on the work order."

Hired.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 05-07-23, 12:50 AM
Oldbill
Touring Rocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts
There is no right answer for this question about what makes a real bike mechanic. As someone earlier pointed out, it is all relative to when you were trained and the level of the bikes you worked on. As a bike mechanic trained in a touring oriented shop (1980s) I still work on 1980s bikes because I like them. My tools are based on those models. I build wheels, overhaul multi speed hubs, etc, but I have no interest in hydraulic brakes or electronic shifting. If I have to learn a new skill to work on a bike I like, then I will. Otherwise I stay in my chosen lane. I consider myself a bike mechanic with a specific skill set.
After all, no one expects an auto mechanic that specializes in old British cars to have the tools and knowledge to fix a new Ferrari.
Old 05-07-23, 08:29 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I've seen example after example of people assuming it was a cable and sending it into the spokes as well. Cables, once bedded in don't go through that much additional stretching which is why they're never the first place to look unless recently replaced, but again, never assume that's all it is. Also seen plenty of limit screws go out of adjustment, not certain what you're working on that you think they're virtually useless once set but that has never been my experience. But, I've found my answer to if I think someone is more a shade tree mechanic.
How, exactly, can a cable adjustment send a derailer into the spokes? Once the limit screws are set properly no amount of cable tension can cause the derialer to go beyond that limit. The cable simple isn’t strong enough to push the derailer past the limits. If someone grabbed a screw driver and started messing with the limit screws in an effort to “adjust the shifting”, all bets are off.

It is the bedding process that usually causes the shifting to go all wonky which is why fixing bad shifting is such an easy fix. I somewhat agree that once construction stretch in the cable has been eliminate through use, that little more needs to be done. But getting the construction stretch out of the cable is variable and may take more than one adjustment to completely account for it. A one meter cable has about 5mm of stretch in it and the barrel adjusters on a derailer and/or shifter may not have that much adjustment.

As to limit screws going out of adjustment…well, no. Just no. The screws in the derailer have been treated with thread locking compound since roughly the stone age and don’t vibrate loose on bicycles that experience a low vibration environment. About the only reason that adjustment screws go out of adjustment is if someone “adjusted” them in the mistaken idea that they are what is wrong when a derailer isn’t shifting properly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-07-23, 08:57 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
"Ever overhaul a Sturmey AW?"

That used to be one interview question for getting hired at shops around here about 40 years ago before the days of "disposable wheels"
Yeah, I offered that as a question to a 'shade tree mechanic', not as a shop interview question. The idea is: can you successfully complete a mildly complicated repair you're unfamiliar with, seeking sources of information and following directions? And also: can you keep tiny parts from leaving your local frame of reference and traveling to a parallel universe?
Old 05-07-23, 09:08 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I try to listen to the client when they describe what their problem is. If they use bicycle terms, I treat them differently than someone who is there to fix the “gear changer thingy”. I also take a hands off approach (as much as possible) when it comes to help because that is the policy in the shop. People are supposed to do their own work. I will demonstrate what needs to be done but stand back and let the client use the tool. Additionally, I was the Saturday guy and generally ran the “fix your bike” shop by myself because few volunteers can stand trying to work with 30 people per day on 6 stands. I would get someone started on something and then there would be the inevitable “Stuart?!” I would monitor what people are doing and only step in if they really seemed to be struggling but if I got 3 minutes to work with someone, they should have considered themselves lucky.

As to the cable adjusting quip above, I have always like that kind of repair…and it has always been the most common repair I had to deal with…because it is quick and easy and I can get the repair stand cleared quickly so that we could get another client into the stand. Huge numbers of clients were surprised at how quick and easy that kind of fix is.

I don’t really darken the door of many shops anymore because I’m that guy muttering "IknowwhatImdoingIvebeenworkingonbikesforyears” after some snot-nosed kid tells me “you can’t do that” when I have the example of “doing that” right in front of them. My latest experience was at a shop in your neck of the woods. I had a cassette that was too loose on the freehub and needed a spacer. I walked in and asked for a 1mm spacer for a freehub. I knew what I wanted, what I needed, and how to use it. The mechanic started giving me the third degree on why I needed that spacer.

“Is it an 11 speed cassette?”

”No. It’s a 9 speed cassette but it’s loose on the body”

”You don’t need a spacer for 9 speed cassettes.”

”Yes, I do because the cassette is loose on the body.”

”No, you don’t.”

”Just sell me the spacer.” Muttering under my breath “"IknowwhatImdoingIvebeenworkingonbikesforyearsandIshouldhavegonetotheothershop”
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-07-23, 09:15 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by tcs
And also: can you keep tiny parts from leaving your local frame of reference and traveling to a parallel universe?
That’s an unfair question. No one can! I love the ones that bounce, you see it bounce, you see it arc into the air and then it’s gobbled up by a wormhole before it hits the ground again. The tiny screws on Shimano EF500 shifter/brake combo levers are particularly unstable in our reality. I prefer changing cables in Gripshift…the old double cable wrap ones…to changing cables on the EF500.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-07-23, 09:26 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Well, if you pick the right components, you never have to do annual maintenance
Nonsense. I put 9-10K miles per year on a bike, and when I do the annual maintenance I always find things that need cleaning, lubrication, repair or replacement. To suggest that bikes "never" need maintenance is preposterous on its face.
Old 05-07-23, 09:34 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
who can afford good service should do so; what you said instead is just elitist BS.
I wouldn't buy a car if I couldn't afford and maintain one. Cars are expensive things and if I was poor, public transportation it is. I don't expect to own a vehicle and assume it's my right that it must be cheap to maintain.

I wouldn't buy a house if I couldn't afford and maintain one. Properties are expensive things and if I was poor, it's sharing a flat with Craigslist roomates. I don't expect a house to be given to me below market value and assume it's my right that it must be repaired by unlicensed contractors that offer the same quality as trained and licensed and bonded contractors. Building codes and permits exist for this reason.

If I couldn't afford to maintain a bike properly, I'd invest in a city transit pass and good shoes.

A shadetree mechanic is not a Local Bike Shop. Period.

As a bike wrench that has been employed at Local Bike Shops, I don't run my own illegal STM shop against municipal code because I tell anyone who asks to go support their LBS.

Especially friends and family. I don't have time to be their slave and fix their crap that their STM broke when I could be cycling. I should apologize for that, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (150.1 KB, 129 views)
Old 05-07-23, 09:38 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Nonsense. I put 9-10K miles per year on a bike, and when I do the annual maintenance I always find things that need cleaning, lubrication, repair or replacement. To suggest that bikes "never" need maintenance is preposterous on its face.
Sealed cartridge bearings in hubs, headset, and crank need no kind of maintenance for years at a time. Those kinds of bearings are designed for far heavier duty use than a bicycle demands. Cables for brakes and derailers last years as well. If you use a chain lubricant that doesn’t collect dirt and isn’t an oily mess, you never need to actually “clean” anything. I am aware of what my bike is doing while riding it and I fix problems that arise as they arise and don’t need to take the bike apart or clean it on any regular interval. Bikes aren’t nearly as delicate as people make them out to be and, far too often, the “annual maintenance” is responsible for creating far more problems than it fixes.

In other words, constant fiddling leads to constant repair.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-07-23, 11:43 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
He said bikes never need "annual" maintenance, IIRC.
Giving a bike a full & complete tune up, cable change, bearing repack, etc...Every single year on March 3rd when it has sat in a garage next to a minivan for 360-odd days since the last "tune up" 'cause it got used once on a 3 day weekend isn't just silly; It's stupid.

A bike will tell you what it needs. When it needs this or that, do this or that.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-07-23, 01:31 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

some snot-nosed kid tells me “you can’t do that”
Alas, I've lost count of the number of shops around here that have "eased out" their experienced mechanics and replaced them with the aforementioned snot-enhanced youth. I don't even bother going to the shop anymore where I bought my first good road bike, as I can expect either bewilderment or condescension from the staff, even though it's been owned by the same family for over a century. I could reply that I was lacing racing wheels well before they were born, but that would likely get a blank "OK, boomer" stare in response, in much the same way that my telling the Apple "genius" I was ResEditing 6.0.3 long before they were born has no effect.

That's why I really like a guy like Leon at Try Me Bicycle, who will listen, conjure up obscure parts from thin air, and politely point out any drawbacks with a particular idea and then say with a smile to bring it in after you've done it to see how it turned out. Either fortunately or unfortunately, he's not hiring, so every visit you get him as the boss, wrench, salesman, and flunky. Sun Cyclery is a bigger local shop, but still has some good folks on staff who share knowledge without attitude.

The funniest incident was about three decades ago when armed with a good bit of shop experience and a full awareness for the market I helped a good friend shop for a bicycle. We went into Swiss American Bicycle, looked around, and asked questions, and the owner thundered that "obviously I knew absolutely NOTHING about quality bicycles". We tried not to burst out laughing while leaving. They went under a few years ago - possibly due to this type of "customer service".

Last edited by RCMoeur; 05-07-23 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-07-23, 01:37 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Perhaps a track bike with no brakes, cartridge bearings, belt drive, and solid tires could avoid routine maintenance.

If you hung it on the wall.
Old 05-07-23, 02:34 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I got one! Point to the lightly used (< 200 miles?), slightly dirty (wax residue) 11 speed cassette on my bike, and ask the Shade Tree Mechanic whether it is worn out. If he or she says yes because some teeth seem to be missing chunks of material, take bike back immediately.

But seriously, anything that I cannot figure out by diligent research and with everyone's help here on BF deserves attention at the LBS. Even though it is now a Trek shop, they are very knowledgeable and happy to work on my non-Trek bikes.
Old 05-07-23, 02:49 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
That’s an unfair question. No one can! I love the ones that bounce, you see it bounce, you see it arc into the air and then it’s gobbled up by a wormhole before it hits the ground again. The tiny screws on Shimano EF500 shifter/brake combo levers are particularly unstable in our reality. I prefer changing cables in Gripshift…the old double cable wrap ones…to changing cables on the EF500.
I found wearing a magnetic wrist band helpful for those and try to position that wrist under the shifter hopefully to catch the screw before it hits the ground bouncing off to oblivion.

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 05-07-23, 02:56 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
But seriously, anything that I cannot figure out by diligent research and with everyone's help here on BF deserves attention at the LBS. Even though it is now a Trek shop, they are very knowledgeable and happy to work on my non-Trek bikes.
I know what I'm doing because I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old 05-07-23, 05:09 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
I found wearing a magnetic wrist band helpful for those and try to position that wrist under the shifter hopefully to catch the screw before it hits the ground bouncing off to oblivion.
I rub my screwdriver on the magnetic bar on each of work stands at my local co-op. The concrete floor at my local co-op is oddly magnetic. I discovered this when I dropped a magnetic utility pick on the floor and it stuck to the floor. I have no idea what was put in the concrete for the floor…it’s a slab floor…but it isn’t a wire system. Magnets stick all over the floor throughout the shop. It’s pretty strong too. Only not strong enough to keep little screws from bouncing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.