Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

PSA, Inflate tire to 80% psi

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

PSA, Inflate tire to 80% psi

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 01:48 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
The low-tire-pressure minions never like to miss an opportunity to push their agenda.
I may not inflate my road tires to 140psi like SMD4, but no way will I bring mine down to 60-80psi.
Seen more than a few fellow group ride cyclists suffer punctures or, worse, destroy a rim.
Some of my roads get slightly rough, but I estimate that happens less than 3% of an entire 40-miler.
Thank you, but my 25 or 28 tire widths and 105psi suit me just fine.
Old 05-21-23, 01:51 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
The low-tire-pressure minions never like to miss an opportunity to push their agenda.
I may not inflate my road tires to 140psi like SMD4, but no way will I bring mine down to 60-80psi.
Seen more than a few fellow group ride cyclists suffer punctures or, worse, destroy a rim.
Some of my roads get slightly rough, but I estimate that happens less than 3% of an entire 40-miler.
Thank you, but my 25 or 28 tire widths and 105psi suit me just fine.
So far I haven't seen anyone recommend "low" pressures. 118psi for 19c tires is not low. 60psi in a 28c tire isn't low if you weigh 100lbs either.

I just don't understand why you want to make your 28c tires ride worse than your 25s. Wouldn't you want them to be close to the same?
Old 05-21-23, 01:56 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
But as you prefer to be slow, I'm sure that doesn't matter to you.
I ride at exactly the speed I enjoy. Thanks.
Old 05-21-23, 02:05 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Kontact
I just don't understand why you want to make your 28c tires ride worse than your 25s.
”Ride worse?” What does that even mean? My tires provide me a wonderful ride.
Old 05-21-23, 02:07 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I wonder what would happen if everyone on a group ride discussed tire pressure and chain lube before starting out.
haha they would never get started on their ride
Old 05-21-23, 03:06 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
This article explains it pretty well
https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/part-4b...-and-impedance

In short: the drum doesn't simulate the rider and so the drum will keep showing lower rolling resistance at higher pressures even with an uneven drum surface.
Thank you.
Old 05-21-23, 03:08 PM
smd4

If you're running your tires at 140psi, the only place they're not going to be slow, is at a parquet velodrome.
Boy, you weren't kidding! It took me 10 minutes to roll out of the 25-foot driveway today, and that's down hill and with a tail wind! The bike rode so slow that I lapped myself!

The tires at 140psi are likely slower than if they were pumped to 60psi. And that's on a brand spanking new baby bottom smooth tarmac. If the road surface gets any rougher, well, you'd probably be better off at 40psi.
40??!! On tires with a 100 psi MINIMUM, that would feel like crap, and likely lead to instant pinch flats front and rear. We'll put that suggestion in the round file.

Last edited by smd4; 05-21-23 at 03:13 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-21-23, 04:20 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
This article explains it pretty well
https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/part-4b...-and-impedance

In short: the drum doesn't simulate the rider and so the drum will keep showing lower rolling resistance at higher pressures even with an uneven drum surface.
I like this explanation as well: https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...-verification/

Thanks for the lead.
Old 05-21-23, 04:28 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

So far I haven't seen anyone recommend "low" pressures. 118psi for 19c tires is not low. 60psi in a 28c tire isn't low if you weigh 100lbs either.

I just don't understand why you want to make your 28c tires ride worse than your 25s. Wouldn't you want them to be close to the same?
No need to get defensive, Kon. 105 on either size works fine for me. My Michelin Power or Pro's render a nice ride.
Old 05-21-23, 05:17 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
No need to get defensive, Kon. 105 on either size works fine for me. My Michelin Power or Pro's render a nice ride.
Pardon me, but the dismissive comment I quoted by you was insulting. My comment merely addressed its validity.

Riding 25s and 28s at the same pressure is like riding 25s at 105 and 120psi on two different bikes. That's all I was getting at.

Last edited by Kontact; 05-21-23 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-21-23, 05:47 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Pardon me, but the dismissive comment I quoted by you was insulting. My comment merely addressed its validity.

Riding 25s and 28s at the same pressure is like riding 25s at 105 and 120psi on two different bikes. That's all I was getting at.
Sorry to hurt your feelings.
Old 05-21-23, 06:30 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Boy, you weren't kidding! It took me 10 minutes to roll out of the 25-foot driveway today, and that's down hill and with a tail wind! The bike rode so slow that I lapped myself!
I appreciate sarcasm when it's done well!

I've experimented with tire sizes and tire pressures over the last 20 years. I started out (on the AIrborne) with 700-23 tires at 115 psi. These were OK on a titanium frame with a steel fork. I went to 32s after a few years and ran these at 100 (rear) and 90 (front) at first. Over the last few years I've been persuaded to the "lower-pressure" side, and now find that 80 (rear) and 70 (front) works well* for me. I weigh about 215, am pushing 73 and usually average 13-15 MPH. I have a standard 35-mile loop I've been riding for years. The lower tire pressure doesn't seem to slow me down, and I do notice a more supple ride.
It seems to me that tire pressure is a personal choice unless one is a professional racer with serious competitive goals. Live and let live!
(* According to the Silca tire pressure calculator, these are still a bit too high!)
Old 05-21-23, 06:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
If you're running your tires at 140psi, the only place they're not going to be slow, is at a parquet velodrome. The tires at 140psi are likely slower than if they were pumped to 60psi. And that's on a brand spanking new baby bottom smooth tarmac. If the road surface gets any rougher, well, you'd probably be better off at 40psi. Of course that's all conjecture as only you know how much your bike + rider combination weighs, what's the weight distribution etc.

All that being said, you'd likely be much faster below 100psi. But as you prefer to be slow, I'm sure that doesn't matter to you.
Go read on low pressure some more. He's discussed 18c-23c tires at 140psi, run those at 40psi and you'll be walking, especially the 18c. When I ran 18c tires I kept them at 130psi and at 225lbs was pinch flatting those, its why I stopped running them and went to 20c at the time. But, unless you're running a wide internal width rim, like 19-20mm I wouldn't run a 23c tire below 60psi, really I still wouldn't run it below 90psi, but with the wider rim you won't pinch flat as much. 40psi is looking to pinch flat and break something. Even my kids at 100lbs run 80psi in their 23c tires.
Old 05-21-23, 08:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
..... I weigh about 215, am pushing 73 and usually average 13-15 MPH. I have a standard 35-mile loop I've been riding for years. The lower tire pressure doesn't seem to slow me down, and I do notice a more supple ride.....
I've got a couple years on you.
I think when one gets into their 70's, you "turn the wick down" a bit so you're not so "stressed" at the end of the ride.
Since we are no longer trying to complete the circuit in the least time, we also soften the tires a bit and maybe give up another minute or 2 for the comfort aspect.
Less racy and more smell the roses.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-21-23, 11:51 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts

40??!! On tires with a 100 psi MINIMUM, that would feel like crap, and likely lead to instant pinch flats front and rear. We'll put that suggestion in the round file.
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Go read on low pressure some more. He's discussed 18c-23c tires at 140psi, run those at 40psi and you'll be walking, especially the 18c. When I ran 18c tires I kept them at 130psi and at 225lbs was pinch flatting those, its why I stopped running them and went to 20c at the time. But, unless you're running a wide internal width rim, like 19-20mm I wouldn't run a 23c tire below 60psi, really I still wouldn't run it below 90psi, but with the wider rim you won't pinch flat as much. 40psi is looking to pinch flat and break something. Even my kids at 100lbs run 80psi in their 23c tires.
Tire pressure testing these days is something that's probably as accurate as it gets in terms of cycling data as it's not selling anything. Except perhaps pressure gauges. Aerodynamics testing done by Zipp etc. is always a bit suspect as the companies claiming aero gains are usually selling the aero wheels / components. However Silca has no horse in the race and their testing corresponds with other individual tests done with tire pressures.

All that out of the way, as was stated in the link I posted earlier (here it is again https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/part-4b...-and-impedance ) it all boils down to the break point. A tire will get faster with increasing pressure up until the tire gets too hard to conform to the surface and starts bouncing instead. That moment the tire starts bouncing is called the break point and after that point the tire will start get slower rapidly because all that bouncing is the transmitted through the bike to the rider. All that bouncing is then transmitted to the tissues of the rider which is dissipated as heat and is thus wasted energy.

If you can't get around the word bouncing, call it vibration instead.

If we look at the most important chart of the earlier mentioned article

We notice that with a 25mm Continental GP4000S the break point for smooth asphalt is at 110psi after which the tire will start getting slower rapidly. At 140psi on new asphalt the rolling resistance is as high as it would be when the tire was inflated to under 60psi.

On coarse asphalt the break point is at 100psi and at 140psi the tire will be slower than if you ran the tire under 50psi.

On machine roughened concrete there's just no point in going above 90 psi and you'd just be better off riding something a lot wider. That red graph is actually really interesting, because it does kinda show that a 25mm tire can never get fast on rough surfaces.

Since we're discussing 23mm tires you can use higher pressures than with 25mm tires on smooth roads. However the narrower tires are going to perform still worse on rough surfaces. Your casing losses never get a chance to get low when you already reach the break point and impendance losses set in.

The data seems to show that the only reasons one should use narrow tires in terms of speed is because of aerodynamics and weight.
However to fullfill the 105 % rule with aerodynamic rims one can get rims that are in the region of 32mm wide, allowing the use of 28mm tires.

If it's lower weight one is after, well that only helps on the uphills where rolling resistance is less important anyway.

In order to reduce the risk of pinch flats one should, according to the data, use wider tires. If the bike in question can't take wider tires, well that's a bummer.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 05-22-23, 06:49 AM
smd4

On coarse asphalt the break point is at 100psi and at 140psi the tire will be slower than if you ran the tire under 50psi.
BS. Quite simply. What does that mean..."slower?" If I'm riding at a certain speed, what am I slower than?

On machine roughened concrete there's just no point in going above 90 psi and you'd just be better off riding something a lot wider. That red graph is actually really interesting, because it does kinda show that a 25mm tire can never get fast on rough surfaces.
What does this even mean? "Get fast?" When I'm riding, my cadence is at a certain level, I'm in certain gear combinations, and I'm going the speed I like. So you're telling me that it's just an illusionthat I'm rolling along at a certain speed? I'm just imagining the breeze in my face? But really I'm barely above walking speed? It's a wonder I can even keep the bike upright! Unless you're racing, this is just a whole lot of hogwash and word salad.

In order to reduce the risk of pinch flats one should, according to the data, use wider tires. If the bike in question can't take wider tires, well that's a bummer.
A bummer? Um...no. If I want wider tires, I'll buy a hybrid.

Last edited by smd4; 05-22-23 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-22-23, 06:53 AM
Kontact 

The data seems to show that the only reasons one should use narrow tires in terms of speed is because of aerodynamics and weight.
However to fullfill the 105 % rule with aerodynamic rims one can get rims that are in the region of 32mm wide, allowing the use of 28mm tires.
I don't see anywhere in this data where it comments on tire width, just pressure.

A narrow tire is going to have the same breakpoint and performance curve because it is doing the same thing as the larger tire. So for standard roads there isn't necessarily a loss - the best 23c tires have the lowest rolling resistance. But you may get to impedance sooner on large chipseal with a narrow tire.
Old 05-22-23, 07:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Enjoying the way a bike feels is as good a reason as any to choose a pressure. We don't all need optimal speed, grip, tire life or whatever factors the mavens consider when coming up with charts. It's smart to start with the expert advice, then run with the subjective as far as you like.
Agreed. I just don't know why anyone would choose a super-high psi that turns a bike ride into an ass-pounding.
Old 05-22-23, 08:00 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Agreed. I just don't know why anyone would choose a super-high psi that turns a bike ride into an ass-pounding.
it's because the popular wisdom on this topic has changed, so the Cycling industrial Complex can sell you more guages, pumps and wider tires

if less is good, even less must be better, right ? I've been riding 20 PSI, now I want to get down to 5 PSI so I can be cool like the big boys

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 05-22-23, 08:23 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Koyote
High psi doesn't turn a bike ride into an "ass pounding." It's just that some of us prefer the ride of a Ferrari to that of a Lincoln Town Car.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-22-23, 08:28 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
BS. Quite simply. What does that mean..."slower?" If I'm riding at a certain speed, what am I slower than?

What does this even mean? "Get fast?" When I'm riding, my cadence is at a certain level, I'm in certain gear combinations, and I'm going the speed I like. So you're telling me that it's just an illusionthat I'm rolling along at a certain speed? I'm just imagining the breeze in my face? But really I'm barely above walking speed? It's a wonder I can even keep the bike upright! Unless you're racing, this is just a whole lot of hogwash and word salad.

A bummer? Um...no. If I want wider tires, I'll buy a hybrid.
Hey I know this one!

You are provided with articles and charts which explain hysteresis and impendance and which even a ten year old could easily understand. However you act stupid and fall back on semantics and make a big stink about a single word you choose to use the incorrect meaning for. Classic SMD4

Anyways, what the charts and articles clearly state is that the coefficient of rolling resistance is higher for a 25mm tire that's pumped to 140psi than it would be for the same tire that's pumped to 60psi.

That means that you need to use more energy to achieve the same speed with the 140psi tire than with the 60psi tire. Mind you, both have terribly high coefficients of rolling resistance but the 140psi tire has it higher, ie. is slower.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 05-22-23, 08:30 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm really glad this thread has moved on to more productive territory than its head-scratching premise.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-22-23, 08:32 AM
smd4

Hey I know this one!

You are provided with articles and charts which explain hysteresis and impendance and which even a ten year old could easily understand. However you act stupid and fall back on semantics and make a big stink about a single word you choose to use the incorrect meaning for. Classic SMD4

Anyways, what the charts and articles clearly state is that the coefficient of rolling resistance is higher for a 25mm tire that's pumped to 140psi than it would be for the same tire that's pumped to 60psi.

That means that you need to use more energy to achieve the same speed with the 140psi tire than with the 60psi tire. Mind you, both have terribly high coefficients of rolling resistance but the 140psi tire has it higher, ie. is slower.
It's simple, really: I don't give a rat's ass what the articles and charts say. I really don't. I love the ride I get with my skinny high PSI tires. Now show me an article that disproves this.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-22-23, 09:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
We notice that with a 25mm Continental GP4000S the break point for smooth asphalt is at 110psi after which the tire will start getting slower rapidly. At 140psi on new asphalt the rolling resistance is as high as it would be when the tire was inflated to under 60psi.
You aren’t interpreting the data properly. The bike doesn’t “get slower”, the rolling resistance goes up. That translates into more power needed to maintain a given speed. Yes, that means that for a given power output, the bicycle would slow down but the magnitude isn’t what could be called “rapid”. The data in the chart is also for one mass data point…190 lb or 86 kg. Changes in mass in either direction is going to have an impact on the “break point” since that is a measure of where the tires stop conforming to the surface and start to lift the bicycle in a vertical direction. Without more data points with more mass, it would be difficult to tell where that break point would be for a heavier or lighter rider.

Only just and the difference isn’t all that large. But, as with all of these “studies”, I see no indication of what the error in the measurement is. Without knowing what the error in the measurement is, we can’t draw many conclusions about how large the difference is. It’s an interesting result but without that error measurement, that’s all it is…interesting. It’s not necessarily conclusive.

Since we're discussing 23mm tires you can use higher pressures than with 25mm tires on smooth roads. However the narrower tires are going to perform still worse on rough surfaces. Your casing losses never get a chance to get low when you already reach the break point and impendance losses set in.

Neither of these tires are good choices for anything other than smooth pavement. But that has been well known for decades. However, you are missing another reason for using narrow tires. That is one of constraint and design. Some bikes simply cannot use anything wider as they aren’t designed for them. Many road bikes…particularly older ones…will not accommodate anything wider than 25mm and that may be a stretch.

​​​​​​​In order to reduce the risk of pinch flats one should, according to the data, use wider tires. If the bike in question can't take wider tires, well that's a bummer.
No, that is the wrong conclusion. To avoid pinch flats use the proper pressure. That’s going to depend on the weight of the rider/bicycle and the road surface. It’s not practical to go around constantly changing pressure on a single ride for varying road surfaces. If there is a section of pavement that has been rotomilled, it’s not practical to reduce the pressure from that used on smooth pavement just so that you have a smoother ride on the rotomilled surface. Use your legs…the Real® suspension on the bike.

Finally, pinch flats are a symptom, not a problem. If your bike can accommodate wide tires…and even it if can’t…a pinch flat tells you that you have too little air in the tire for the conditions. A pinch flat should tell a rider that they are about to incur an expensive repair because their rim is bottoming out and is at risk of being bent. A pinch flat is a low cost repair and a warning. A bent rim is an expensive repair caused by an ignored warning.
​​​​​​​
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-22-23 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-22-23, 09:23 AM
smd4

^^What he said!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.