Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I want to buy a really good wheel truing stand.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-23, 06:17 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts

The park one is $400 for the pro one. That seems excessive. Isnt there another one of same quality but a lesser known name? I had to take chances on flimsy junk, can someone advise on a sturdy and accurate truing stand? Thanks.
Old 08-13-23, 07:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Nope, pretty much anything that equals the Park is priced in the same range unior is $340 https://uniorusa.com/collections/whe...ing-stand-1689

Old 08-13-23, 08:07 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I paid about $200 for my Cyclus truing stand 20 years ago when I was buying directly from the distributor. It is very similar to the Park stand. In today's dollars, at retail prices, the Park stand would be a bargain
Old 08-13-23, 08:09 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
The early Park Tool stands would not take 29er wheels with tires on, or fat bike wheels. The later Park Tool truing stands (ts2.2) are a bit taller to accommodate 29er wheels with the tires still on the rims. The current version (ts4.2) will handle fat bike wheels and through axle wheels. They did sell 29er extensions for the older models (ts). The Park really is the gold standard of truing stands but get one that meets your needs. All are adjustable for dish as well so you don't need an extra dishing gauge. You will want to bolt it to your work bench in a convenient place. Kinda of a pita to do so but it helps keep it from growing legs.

Last edited by rickpaulos; 08-13-23 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-13-23, 08:18 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Find a good used TS2 on eboy for under 200 buck. be prepared to put the rebuild kit into it.

Or get a PK Lie stand, it will cut your building time by 30-40 % and better result

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-13-23, 09:31 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
PK Lie stand $2500 on ebay. . um... no.

goint to look up TS2 now. thank you.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 08-13-23, 09:41 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Quite a few from many price ranges available on amazon. I's avoid the dial gauge models. Here is an example that looks pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-...2-63e904010ad0
Likes For howsteepisit:
Old 08-14-23, 12:30 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
You might try asking bike shops if they have any old TS2's they could sell you. Many have upgraded to more recent models in the last ten years or so. TBH my shop has two we don't need, but with shipping it's probably not a great deal across the country. The difference between consumer/cheap truing stands and workhorse pro stands (like the Park TS-2 series) is mostly that they are sturdier with less flex, and the caliper arms are a little easier to adjust. Nicer pro stands (the more recent TS-2 series models, the Birzman stand, Var, etc) mostly have quality of life features for working shops--they fit more axle standards, and have clearance to true more kinds of wheels with the tire on, are quicker to swap between thru axle and traditional axles, etc. Extremely nice ones can actually improve accuracy and decrease build time with features like digital or nonlinear dial gauges, like the P&K lie.
Likes For cpach:
Old 08-14-23, 06:42 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Generally agree with squirtdad. You get what you pay for. The Park TS2.2 is a proven, durable, useful tool with very good support and the price these days is not unreasonable. I guess that the current model, the TS2.3 allows for larger, fatter wheels and through-axles. But its' 400 bucks. Another brand mentioned above, Cyclus, is about 300 bucks. I guess that some folks are willing to spend ~$3000 for the P&K Lie unit.

One item I saw, branded as Lifeline, looked reasonable beefy, and could be had for $115:
https://www.storebikeus.com/lifeline...ts3955678.html
I have no experience with these. If you order, depending upon shipping, you might save money ordering it from Europe (Chain Reaction, Wiggles) where the price is slightly lower.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 08-14-23 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-14-23, 07:49 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I've purchased two Parks off CL for $100 each. Both as good as new. Kept one, gave the other to my little brother.
Old 08-14-23, 07:59 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Get the Park tool Ts- 2.2. It will do what you ask of it. Park are expensive but they work, so they are not, if you follow what I mean. They have a good warranty, good luck with other cheaper manufacturers with that one. Plus if wheel building is not for you, someone will buy it, without you losing too much money. Somebody once said to me, “The poor can’t afford to buy cheap”, always been poor, but I have some great tools! I wonder if that is connected somehow…….

I have a TS-4 and I have never regretted buying it. I did think about the centri-master, but to be honest the TS-4 is kind of a workshop friend now and working to 0.1mm is in my mind all that is required for a good build…….leaves me more money to save up for that Phil Wood spoke cutter and threading machine…..que Wayne’s world guitar scene, “Oh yes, one day she will be mine!”.
Likes For awac:
Old 08-14-23, 08:09 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
The more one works with wheels (truing and building) the less one needs a fancy stand. But want is a different thing then need

The number one feature of stands that I see is the solid and repeatable manor of securing the wheel in the stand. This is where more mass (in the stand) is generally better.

The least needed feature of a stand is the dishing aspect. Or is it the ability to note a thousandth of an inch of run out... no, dial gauges place the focus on trueness not on spoke tension consistency.

My favorite stands are the TS2.2 and the Var Preciray. Of the modern ones I avoid using the TS-4 if at all possible. It's too flexible for my tastes. Andy
Old 08-14-23, 08:51 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I looked for years for a Park 2.x and finally found one here. I was using a Spin Doctor stand that I didn't care for because of the instability, too many plastic parts. I upgraded the 2.0 with newer "calipers" with the plastic tips and added a base. Meets my C&V needs.
I did tear it down all the way and cleaned it up with lube and it works great.
PXL_20230122_161723605 on Flickr

Last edited by SJX426; 08-14-23 at 05:50 PM.
Likes For SJX426:
Old 08-14-23, 09:35 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

here is one way above op's price point but is is pretty abbey tools https://www.abbeybiketools.com/colle...s/truing-stand

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 08-14-23, 09:38 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
I have a Bikehand stand that seems to be kind of a Park knock off: https://www.amazon.ca/Bikehand-Wheel.../dp/B00CW90ZKW. They go on sale for about $150 USD from time to time. I'm happy with it for the cost but, if I had it to do over again, I would splurge for the Park for the following reasons:

1) The Park stand allows you to use Park's dishing tool without taking the wheel out of the stand.

2) The shape of the axle holding slots in the Park stand (round at bottom) are better than the Bikehand stand (V at bottom).

3) Because of #2, I feel that Park's centering tool works better than Bikehand's.

Before actually building some wheels, I thought it very important to have one of these stands that allows you to check dish on the stand without a separate tool. I've changed my mind about that for two reasons:

1) These home mechanic stands don't seem to do all that great of a job of dish so I wind up checking it separately anyhow.

2) The centering requires calibration eventually.

I've used a one sided, Feedback Sports stand that we have at the office and quite like it. It's good enough for the amount of truing and building that I do and can be had quite economically: https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...kaApEwEALw_wcB
Old 08-14-23, 09:56 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292866988463
It's the manufacturer for BikeHand
Old 08-14-23, 11:09 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Originally Posted by squirtdad
here is one way above op's price point but is is pretty abbey tools https://www.abbeybiketools.com/colle...s/truing-stand
Nice looking part but that's what I paid for my PK Lie stand.

Abbey makes some nice stuff - I have their cassette lockring tool - Campy on one side and Shimano on the other. Really nice tool, fits the part really well. Better than the Park.

here's the thing about "light gap" truing with a stand that uses indicator arms like the Park or this one. it is nearly impossible to identify the ONE spoke (not 2 or 4) that is contributing to lateral AND radial runout. This is the magic trick that Ric Hjertberg teaches in his classes. The deflection indicators on the PK Lie make this very easy.

/markp

Old 08-14-23, 11:28 AM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by mpetry912
Nice looking part but that's what I paid for my PK Lie stand.

Abbey makes some nice stuff - I have their cassette lockring tool - Campy on one side and Shimano on the other. Really nice tool, fits the part really well. Better than the Park.

here's the thing about "light gap" truing with a stand that uses indicator arms like the Park or this one. it is nearly impossible to identify the ONE spoke (not 2 or 4) that is contributing to lateral AND radial runout. This is the magic trick that Ric Hjertberg teaches in his classes. The deflection indicators on the PK Lie make this very easy.

/markp
that is really interesting, I don't build a lot of wheels, but after my last build using a stand that looks like below, I will get better stand if I build any more wheels. like repairs stands, quality helps

Old 08-14-23, 11:37 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

I still think the TS-2 is a good choice mainly because you can get all the parts, including the rebuild kit which includes the bushings.

sure, you can get the "best cheep" on AMZN for $50 bucks less, straight from Shenzhien, but when one little part strips you are out of luck.

I'd be doing bottoim feeding on ebay "best offers" and pay the shipping for a used TS-2, and put a rebuild kit in it.

/markp
Old 08-14-23, 12:17 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My favorite stands are the TS2.2 and the Var Preciray. Of the modern ones I avoid using the TS-4 if at all possible. It's too flexible for my tastes. Andy
Serious Andy? Never found that. My TS-4 doesn't move when I build. It has some weight in the build and I have also added a thick plywood base which make it convenient to clamp to any worktop, see below.
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ification.html
Old 08-14-23, 12:25 PM
awac

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Oh that’s nice. I tell you, one day I am going to win the lottery and start the National truing stand museum…..

I have considered Islandix Instruments set up, and will buy at some date, looks fun! I couldn’t say that anywhere else on the web and be understood could I? Lol.
Likes For awac:
Old 08-14-23, 12:49 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

I find that I have the very worst form of buyer's remorse when I buy a cheap version of an expensive tool and then, later, realize that I want/need the expensive version after all. Then, effectively, the cost of the quality tool becomes [$$$_Quality + $$$_Cheap = Angry Spouse].

Whatever premium Park Tool charges for their stuff is, for me, almost a form of purchase insurance. Yeah, I probably pay more than I need to for the odd pick or screwdriver. At the same time, I never have to double up on buying a Park Tool product as well as an inferior one. Park Tool deserves this market advantage because they've earned themselves a killer reputation by making consistently good products and providing phenomenal support for them. I begrudge them nothing with respect to their prices.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 08-14-23, 12:50 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by mpetry912
This is the magic trick that Ric Hjertberg teaches in his classes. The deflection indicators on the PK Lie make this very easy.
I would like to know about this trick. Is there a location on the Wheel Fanatyk site where I could learn more?
Old 08-14-23, 12:54 PM
Harold74

I suspect that the ultimate wheel truing setup of the future will be:

a) A home LIDAR scan that creates a 3D virtual representation of your rim and;

b) Some software or AI that recommends adjustments based on the scan.

I have LIDAR at work and it's not all that expensive compared to some of these high end truing stands.

I have mixed feelings about this. Yeah, a truing setup that's efficient and needs no calibration would be cool. However, the software intrusion might detract from the "craft".
Likes For Harold74:
Old 08-14-23, 01:15 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by Harold74
I suspect that the ultimate wheel truing setup of the future will be: I have mixed feelings about this. Yeah, a truing setup that's efficient and needs no calibration would be cool. However, the software intrusion might detract from the "craft".
spoke service dot CA is working on something like this.

in addtion to supporting manual truing, it should be able to drive an AI based robot truing machine.

As for the one-spoke trick, I don't think I can summarize it for you here. Definitely an "advanced insight". Assuming that you have mastery of the basics of wheelbuilding, just think about it for a while and maybe it will become clear.

have a look at this Spence Wolf Interview - Bike Forums
Likes For mpetry912:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.