Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How do I remove the freewheel from a 1973 Schwinn Collegiate wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How do I remove the freewheel from a 1973 Schwinn Collegiate wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 08:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
. Do you think cold setting can increase the width by the amounts I need or is that extreme?
...you did not ask me, but for that frame, it might work out. It's relatively mild steel. And it's not like you're losing much if one of the stay braces let's go at the brazing (or were they welded ?)
But yes, that's a lot of adjustment, and the more you open up the spacing, the risk increases for damage. I wouldn't fret about it in this case. If that's the wheel that needs to fit, then fit it in there.

You might end up with the chainstays so far out that the crank arms interfere, though. And I'm not sure how much experience you have with doing this sort of thing.
Old 08-18-23, 08:56 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...you did not ask me, but for that frame, it might work out. It's relatively mild steel. And it's not like you're losing much if one of the stay braces let's go at the brazing (or were they welded ?)
But yes, that's a lot of adjustment, and the more you open up the spacing, the risk increases for damage. I wouldn't fret about it in this case. If that's the wheel that needs to fit, then fit it in there.

You might end up with the chainstays so far out that the crank arms interfere, though. And I'm not sure how much experience you have with doing this sort of thing.
Ive been watching some youtube videos on cold setting forks. It would be great if I can make the 559 alloy wheels fit. If so I can come in under budget. So far $10 for the bike, $20 for the wheels, the tires will be about $50 with tubes. and I will need longer brakes so dont know if I can get the for $20. I might have to downgrade the tires to 16 dollars each and use the tubes I have. I think I have some cables in black that would look good. Its a heavy bike but I never understood whats the difference in a 180lb guy and a 20lb bike or a 160lb guy and a 40lb bike. The load is 200lbs either way and horsepower to propel it a given speed and distance would be the same. But I guess there is a reason for lighter bikes and all the money that is spent on them.
Old 08-18-23, 09:07 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
A couple years ago I built up a bike from a 1972 Schwinn Varsity frame, which I'll bet is the same as the Collegiate. Those frames were electro-forged, a unique Schwinn process, that allowed them to produce an entire frame from sheet metal. I was able to cold-set the triangle to fit my hub, an old Sturmey-Archer.

In addition to the weight of the frame itself, you have to add the weight of the many other steel components that can't be replaced with alloy, because they're all unique sizes. I won't say non-standard, because Schwinn was the standard. Yes, lighter bikes are nicer. They're more responsive and fun to ride. Does it explain the increase in price? No, bikes above a certain basic level are also a luxury good for most people.

In addition to the weight, the Schwinn was just plain uncomfortable to ride. I finally tracked it down to a noticeable difference in frame geometry compared to other bikes in my fleet that I've tinkered with until I'm happy. I have no objection to restoring a historic bike for fun and education -- I've done it myself. But at the end of the day, the resulting bike didn't stay in my fleet for long.
Old 08-18-23, 09:24 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
......but I never understood whats the difference in a 180lb guy and a 20lb bike or a 160lb guy and a 40lb bike. The load is 200lbs either way and horsepower to propel it a given speed and distance would be the same. But I guess there is a reason for lighter bikes and all the money that is spent on them.
Take it a bit further with a 190 lb. bike. See the trend? On paper, the 180 lb. rider has 20 lbs. more muscle to move 20 lbs less bike. How about 160 lb. rider/20 lb. bike vs 180 lb. rider/40 lb. bike?
Even 3-4 lbs. make s bike "feel" sportier and accelerate faster/easier.
Old 08-18-23, 09:49 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Take it a bit further with a 190 lb. bike. See the trend? On paper, the 180 lb. rider has 20 lbs. more muscle to move 20 lbs less bike. How about 160 lb. rider/20 lb. bike vs 180 lb. rider/40 lb. bike?
Even 3-4 lbs. make s bike "feel" sportier and accelerate faster/easier.
160lb rider on 20lb bike is 180lb of mass, 180 and 40 is 220lb mass. I guess like anything else its power to weight ratio that matters and the bike generates no power so its better to have 20lbs of weight generating no power than 40lbs of weight generating no power. So that kinda makes sense now.
Old 08-18-23, 09:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
160lb rider on 20lb bike is 180lb of mass, 180 and 40 is 220lb mass. I guess like anything else its power to weight ratio that matters and the bike generates no power so its better to have 20lbs of weight generating no power than 40lbs of weight generating no power. So that kinda makes sense now.
A "supposition" I missed was that the rider's weight ISN'T changing when they switch between the 20 & 40.
I think bike weight as something you are carrying on your back, not pedaling.
Just saving 1/2 lb. on each tire/wheel makes a bike feel noticeably more responsive.
Old 08-18-23, 10:05 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
A "supposition" I missed was that the rider's weight ISN'T changing when they switch between the 20 & 40.
I think bike weight as something you are carrying on your back, not pedaling.
Just saving 1/2 lb. on each tire/wheel makes a bike feel noticeably more responsive.
160lb rider on a 23 lb bike is 14.3% dead weight. 160lb rider on a 20lb bike is only 12.5% dead weight on a 40lb schwinn 25% dead weight.

I had a 23lb Ross Paragon at one point, it was so much lighter than anything we ever rode before. It was like flying on a magic carpet.
Old 08-18-23, 11:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

What follows is a detailed description of the Schwinn Electro Forged (E/F) frame building process.
Old 08-19-23, 04:20 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34

Lesson #5... i'm out.....
Me too. Funny how someone comes into a forum and gets good advice from experienced bicycle mechanics, and then proceeds to ignore every bit of that advice. I'm tempted to think the OP was simply trolling us, and we fell for it.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-19-23, 06:27 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Me too. Funny how someone comes into a forum and gets good advice from experienced bicycle mechanics, and then proceeds to ignore every bit of that advice. I'm tempted to think the OP was simply trolling us, and we fell for it.
good and stay out. You've been nothing but a disrespectful heckler this whole thread. Everyone can read this thread from the beginning and see that. The topic is what is the correct tool to remove this freewheel? Two tools were introduced as the 'correct' tool. Experts contributed and debated. It was shown that both tools are the official 'correct' tool and that triangular and square teeth fit and grab the triangular splines equally well. Sour grapes Jeff.
Old 08-19-23, 06:41 AM
Jeff Neese

..... Everyone can read this thread from the beginning and see that. The topic is what is the correct tool to remove this freewheel? Two tools were introduced as the 'correct' tool. Experts contributed and debated. It was shown that both tools are the official 'correct' tool and that triangular and square teeth fit and grab the triangular splines equally well. Sour grapes Jeff.
You also presented yourself as a newbie (which is obvious) but that you wanted to learn. That's clearly not the case. Several pages and a lot of good advice, and you don't seem to be learning anything or taking anyone's advice.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 08-19-23, 07:07 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
You also presented yourself as a newbie (which is obvious) but that you wanted to learn. That's clearly not the case. Several pages and a lot of good advice, and you don't seem to be learning anything or taking anyone's advice.
In fairness, ignoring advice and blundering through can be the best way to learn. Whatever skills result will be hard-won but will stick.
Old 08-19-23, 07:20 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

i rejected "just take it to a bike shop" and i rejected "your freewheel is toast". So yes i ignored the advice to buy new parts abd take it to a bike shop. What other advice do you claim I ignored? Surely you have examples. Oh wait, you dont because there arent any.
Old 08-19-23, 07:23 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by Trakhak
In fairness, ignoring advice and blundering through can be the best way to learn. Whatever skills result will be hard-won but will stick.
It's never the best way to learn. You hit the nail on the head with the word "blundering". Blundering is never best, if it can be prevented by taking the advice of those with more knowledge and experience.

I'm grateful for everyone in my life that has ever said "You know, you COULD try that, but it's a bad idea and let me tell you why."
Old 08-19-23, 07:24 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by maddog34
be aware thast we are trying to help you not waste your time on that 5 sp freewheel you're wanting to throw cash at.... and also be aware that your 135mm O.L.D. Rear wheel won't fit in your frame no matter what freewheel you screw onto it.

Lesson #5... i'm out.. i'm sure someone will be along to encourage you to coldset that green bike to fit that donor wheel.

question: are the forks the flat Bladed ones, or a rounder, tube-like profile?

ps.. those seats hurt my seat. Below is an old style schwinn black leather seat rider...
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/5V...UJi5kFTzmC.jpg
ive tried different seats and cant find a comfortable one. What seat do you prefer?
Old 08-19-23, 07:37 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
ive tried different seats and cant find a comfortable one. What seat do you prefer?
Brooks B-72
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-19-23, 07:41 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
It's never the best way to learn. You hit the nail on the head with the word "blundering". Blundering is never best, if it can be prevented by taking the advice of those with more knowledge and experience.

I'm grateful for everyone in my life that has ever said "You know, you COULD try that, but it's a bad idea and let me tell you why."
Absolutely true. Still, blundering but persevering means that a would-be mechanic is likely to learn not only how to fix something but also why that method is best.

That said: ". . . . and let me tell you why" - I wish I'd done that more often when I was running service departments in bike stores.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-19-23, 07:45 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

thats not the tone you took with me. You didnt tell me why anything. And im still waiting for those examples which you cant produce.
Old 08-19-23, 08:59 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
And im still waiting for those examples which you cant produce.
The best example is buy the correct tool. Many tools can do the job. That doesn’t make them correct.

I admit it took me a while to figure out you’re the same dude who wanted a professional truing stand for like under $10 bucks. This thread all makes sense now.
Old 08-19-23, 09:05 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Anyone know what threading Schwinn used with for their French freewheels?
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-19-23, 09:15 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by smd4
The best example is buy the correct tool. Many tools can do the job. That doesn’t make them correct.

I admit it took me a while to figure out you’re the same dude who wanted a professional truing stand for like under $10 bucks. This thread all makes sense now.
Im waiting for examples from Jeff where I ignored expert advice as he falsely claimed. Those are the examples we are talking about. Of course, he is not able to produce them because they do not exist, just as you are not able to post a quote from me saying I want a pro stand for under $10. But feel free to continue on humiliating yourself with your emotional hyperbole if it makes you feel better. Its showing the forum much more about you than me. The FR-4 tool has been shown in this thread by experts to be a authorized correct tool for this freewheel. You are in denial.
Old 08-19-23, 09:16 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by curbtender
Anyone know what threading Schwinn used with for their French freewheels?
That was my next question.
Old 08-19-23, 09:34 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Im waiting for examples from Jeff where I ignored expert advice as he falsely claimed. Those are the examples we are talking about. Of course, he is not able to produce them because they do not exist, just as you are not able to post a quote from me saying I want a pro stand for under $10. But feel free to continue on humiliating yourself with your emotional hyperbole if it makes you feel better. Its showing the forum much more about you than me. The FR-4 tool has been shown in this thread by experts to be a authorized correct tool for this freewheel. You are in denial.
...I have some personal experience with this person. I can't really give you any advice, other than long exchanges of this sort are not unusual with him. And that they will be unproductive.
Here is a recent example, from my own limited experience, which is when I finally chose to employ the ignore function. I do not know why this is the case, but this is the solution that worked for me.

Good luck with your project. I started out working in bikes of about this age and sort, back when I was commuting on them in the early 80's. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and they will withstand a lot of abuse.
Old 08-19-23, 09:44 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

That was my next question.
...I honestly do not remember, but if you have both a standard British threaded RH adjustable BB cup, and a French threaded adjustable BB cup, it's pretty simple to use them as a go/no go tool to see which one threads easily and fully into the freewheel. I keep one of each in my bicycle toolbox, for just this purpose. Otherwise, you need a thread gauge. I have one somewhere, but usually it's in an inconvenient place when I need to check this.

They will both start out into the freewheel, but the wrong one will start to jam up about three or four turns in. Don't force it, and make sure the threads are clean and oiled when you do it. If you get a cup stuck inside the freewheel, extricate it with something like a pump plier, with the jaws wrapped in rubber or electrical tape to protect the threading of your test cup.
Old 08-19-23, 09:58 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
you are not able to post a quote from me saying I want a pro stand for under $10.
Quoting you has proven to be a complete exercise in futility, but thanks for the invitation.

You are in denial.
Denial of what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.