Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chains submerged in Diesel fuel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 12:41 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts

I use 2 chains SRAM Force 22, alternatively changed after around 1000 km. The latest “used” chain stays submerged in Diesel fuel until the other one reaches 1000 km, then I make the switch. I ride 18-20000 km with a pair of chains (plus other thousands km per year on trainer with a lower-level bike and a third chain). Thus, it is easy to estimate that each chain used for road riding stays totally submerged in Diesel for more than 1.5 years over its useful life.

I heard people saying that a bike chain should not be submerged for a long time in Diesel fuel, due to its corrosive impact. However, I never had issues with this, and the chains look very good even when I retire them.
Thoughts?
Old 08-26-23, 01:00 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I think it's a waste of diesel fuel.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-26-23, 01:10 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by mpetry912
I think it's a waste of diesel fuel.

/markp
Why? It takes 250-300 grams of Diesel to submerge a bike chain in a PET bottle. Then, 80-90% of this quantity is reused after the dirt is settled at the bottom. A few kg of Diesel cover many years of chain cleaning. Even the plastic bottle can be reused, if I want to.
Old 08-26-23, 01:25 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I heard people saying that a bike chain should not be submerged for a long time in Diesel fuel, due to its corrosive impact. However, I never had issues with this, and the chains look very good even when I retire them.
Diesel fuel is basically kerosene, and is not corrosive to metals. If it were, diesel engines would require a heck of a lot more maintenance. This is consistent with your experience.
Old 08-26-23, 01:26 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
I have a 1 gallon sealed plastic tank of Diesel fuel that I use for cleaning chains. I had forgotten about a chain I dropped in about 2 years ago. Upon remoal it was quite rusted, to the point of being ruined.
Old 08-26-23, 01:32 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
I have a 1 gallon sealed plastic tank of Diesel fuel that I use for cleaning chains. I had forgotten about a chain I dropped in about 2 years ago. Upon remoal it was quite rusted, to the point of being ruined.
Water is denser than diesel fuel, so it sinks to the bottom. The two liquids are immiscible. I'd guess there was some water in the chain when it went into the container.
Old 08-26-23, 01:50 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
do you know why diesel fuel systems have WATER Separators in them?

because diesel fuel almost ALWAYS has WATER in it.
signed: a retired TRACTOR MECHANIC.

to redbullet.
WHY do you soak your chains in diesel fuel?
it is LOUSY as a Lubricant and will move off of most surfaces with gravity assisting.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 08-26-23, 01:58 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by maddog34

to redbullet.
it is LOUSY as a Lubricant and will move off of most surfaces with gravity assisting.
Not sure I understand.
I use Diesel because it is very easy to shake the bottle with the chain, then simply forget it. The dirt settles at the bottom. No mechanical cleaning needed. Before using the chain, I wipe it with paper towel and leave it in fresh air for 12-24 hours.
Lubricating the chain is another story: I just use PTFE lube. One application is enough for 1000 km of normal riding (that means no rain or mud).
Old 08-26-23, 02:09 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Not sure I understand.
I use Diesel because it is very easy to shake the bottle with the chain, then simply forget it. The dirt settles at the bottom. No mechanical cleaning needed. Before using the chain, I wipe it with paper towel and leave it in fresh air for 12-24 hours.
Lubricating the chain is another story: I just use PTFE lube. One application is enough for 1000 km of normal riding (that means no rain or mud).
so.. you're reusing a solvent loaded with previous filth and conntaminants, and that is HYGROSCOPIC (attracts Water), to "clean a chain".

got it.
thanks for clarifying.

i use mineral spirits(AKA: Paint thinner) for grease removal... it's a much more effective cleaner, and the smell is a lot easier to rid from my area too.

PS.. "shaking" is mechanical cleaning
and i hope you're using a plastic container.. i've seen the bottom break out of a glass jar from "shaking" bearings in solvent.

Last edited by maddog34; 08-26-23 at 02:17 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 08-26-23, 02:22 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Thoughts?

Why?

Diesel stinks and stains clothing. There are much better alternatives.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-26-23, 02:30 PM
maddog34

Originally Posted by sweeks
Water is denser than diesel fuel, so it sinks to the bottom. The two liquids are immiscible. I'd guess there was some water in the chain when it went into the container.
put a teaspoon of water in a cup of diesel...shake well... watch the result.

the result may not perfectly fit your chosen description, but the water does mix into the diesel.... diesel with water mixed in turns cloudy in appearance.
I've seen it too many times.
water separators use both gravity and centrifugal force to remove the offending water from diesel fuel.
Old 08-26-23, 02:32 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Why not use MEK? It is even worse for your health than diesel. There is no real upside to diesel.

Even really dirty citrus solvent will do a great job cleaning a chain, and you can wash it off with water.
Old 08-26-23, 02:41 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Mineral spirits do a better job of cleaning than diesel fuel or kerosene, and dries cleanly and completely. I soak a new chain in mineral spirits overnight to remove the shipping grease, but I see no reason to store chains submerged in anything.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 08-27-23 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-26-23, 02:44 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
No idea what kind of conditions the OP rides in, but this sounds like a lot of work to squeeze 6,000 miles out of a chain.
I never ever cleaned a chain. Just lube and wipe. And always lightweight KMC or Dura Ace brands to extract over 5,000 each time.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 08-26-23, 03:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
There are better things.

I’m not sure why in the modern world you’d put diesel anywhere besides the truck’s fuel tank. No one is selling it for any other purpose. To use it on a bike chain you have to decide to be contrary

or desperate

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-26-23 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 04:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Bravo on diesel as a cleaner. Much safer then gasoline, even if it is more expensive now days...

Used to use it in the Army as a weapons pre-cleaner de-greaser. Of course I don't know if that holds true for modern day weapons made with mystery materials or even modern bikes made of composites.

I consider bike chains a disposable item. Once they get worn I never use them again on bicycles. I just drop them off at our local welding shop where they go in the spare materials bin. There they sit till needed for muffler hangers, bar-b-q pits, field jacks, fence pulleys, and all kinds of stuff. Good steel should not go to waste.
Old 08-26-23, 04:16 PM
sweeks

This is a process called "emulsification", which happens when two immiscible liquids are shaken together. This might happen in a FUEL system, but not so much in a one-gallon container.
HERE and HERE are what two fuel distributors have to say about water in diesel fuel (scroll down a bit on the first site)... which pretty much is what the OP is describing.

EDIT: I was wrong about diesel fuel being the same as kerosene. They are *close* (CLARIFICATION) but not exactly the same.

Last edited by sweeks; 08-26-23 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-26-23, 04:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
There are better things.

I’m not sure why in the modern world you’d put diesel anywhere besides the truck’s fuel tank. No one is selling it for any other purpose. To use it on a bike chain you have to decide to be contrary

or desperate
Well, if you use chainsaw bar oil on your bike chains, it makes perfect sense.

I'll stick with wax.
Old 08-26-23, 06:46 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 966 Posts

the result may not perfectly fit your chosen description, but the water does mix into the diesel.... diesel with water mixed in turns cloudy in appearance.
water separators use both gravity and centrifugal force to remove the offending water from diesel fuel.
Mixing, I would not say that is what you are righting about, that is emulsification.
Old 08-26-23, 10:36 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
OP.

If it works for you that is all that matters.

I’ve never heard of diesel being corrosive.

The one person that said they forgot about the chain and it was rusted probably put a wet chain in the diesel can.
Old 08-27-23, 06:29 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
As someone who lives in a rural area and have multiple mowing tractors that run on diesel, hence we have our own dispensing tank, I can relate to using it for degreasing. The idea that you specific-use products for literally everything is utter nonsense. Where do you think these ideas come from ? Those selling you the specific-use products of course ! Hahahahahahaa !!!
Likes For Garthr:
Old 08-27-23, 08:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts

The only reason that diesel has water in it is because it was introduced somewhere along the line. Water solubility in diesel is about 100mg/l or 0.01 oz/gallon. That’s 3 tablespoons of water in 100 gallons and that would be in solution. If there is liquid water in the bottom of a diesel fuel tank of any kind, it’s because someone screwed up something.

to redbullet.
As a cleaning solvent it’s okay but a bit oilier than lighter petroleum products. Mineral spirits, for example, evaporate much more cleanly. I agree as that it is a lousy lubricant because it flows off but that applies to any oil that can flow.

Yes, it will be cloudy…for a while. Then the water separates from the oil and rests on the bottom. It’s exactly the same thing as an oil and vinegar salad dressing. You can add something to make the emulsion more stable as is often done with salad dressings but there is no reason. There as also additives that can increase the water solubility of the diesel fuel but that would result in a solution rather than an emulsion.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-31-23 at 11:57 AM. Reason: correction of units
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-27-23, 09:01 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I use 2 chains SRAM Force 22, alternatively changed after around 1000 km. The latest “used” chain stays submerged in Diesel fuel until the other one reaches 1000 km, then I make the switch. I ride 18-20000 km with a pair of chains (plus other thousands km per year on trainer with a lower-level bike and a third chain). Thus, it is easy to estimate that each chain used for road riding stays totally submerged in Diesel for more than 1.5 years over its useful life.

Thoughts?
Diesel shouldn’t be corrosive. It’s nonpolar and can only carry a small amount of water because of that nonpolar character.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-27-23, 09:06 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Kontact
Why not use MEK? It is even worse for your health than diesel. There is no real upside to diesel.

Even really dirty citrus solvent will do a great job cleaning a chain, and you can wash it off with water.
Methy ethyl ketone (2-butanone) isn’t really that good of a solvent for oils. It’s too polar. Longer chain ketones might be good solvents for cleaning chains but they are far more costly and not readily available through retail outlets.

Mineral spirits is a good choice because it’s not too flammable, evaporates quickly, is very effective, and is readily and cheaply available.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-27-23, 09:21 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by sweeks
This is a process called "emulsification", which happens when two immiscible liquids are shaken together. This might happen in a FUEL system, but not so much in a one-gallon container.
HERE and HERE are what two fuel distributors have to say about water in diesel fuel (scroll down a bit on the first site)... which pretty much is what the OP is describing.

EDIT: I was wrong about diesel fuel being the same as kerosene. They are *close* (CLARIFICATION) but not exactly the same.
There’s quite a bit of overlap between kerosene and diesel. Kerosene has carbon chains in the range of C6 to C20 molecules. Diesel has molecular chains in the range of C9 to C25.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.