Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano recalls cranksets

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-23, 01:51 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts

I found this in Google News feed today. Yep, my set is on that list. And of course I am riding both days this weekend. Apparently there have been 4500 incidents and 6 injuries do to fractures.

The specific models affected are the 11-speed compatible Ultegra FC-6800, Dura-Ace FC-9000, Ultegra FC-R8000 and Dura-Ace FC-R9100 chainsets, as well as the FC-R9100P power meter variant. It affects products manufactured prior to 2019, with one of the following two-letter production codes on the rear of the crank arm.

KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.
Old 09-21-23, 02:59 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
oooo, that's a Biggy!.. thanks for the Info!
Old 09-21-23, 03:09 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

I don't see any problem on my bike, but that obviously does not mean there is not one. I am unclear if the crank set automatically gets replaced or just if a problem is seen. I'll have my LBS check it out next week.
Old 09-21-23, 03:31 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
That's going to cost them

Is this the "crank arm made of 2 half shells of aluminium which sort of stay together most of the time" issue?
Old 09-21-23, 03:32 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by bblair
I don't see any problem on my bike, but that obviously does not mean there is not one. I am unclear if the crank set automatically gets replaced or just if a problem is seen. I'll have my LBS check it out next week.
Recall means all of them doesn't it?

edit: ok, so no, it's completely half-arsed instead - "If you are in North America and believe you have an affected crank, you are advised to immediately stop using it and contact a Shimano dealer or an authorised inspection centre (essentially any store that is familiar with Shimano components and has passed Shimano's maintenance course). The dealer will then perform an inspection, and where signs of delamination or separation are found, a free replacement will be issued. Replacements will comprise a hybrid component that mixes a 12-speed chainset fitted with 11-speed-compatible chainrings."

So at what frequency do you go back to the Bike shop to check for signs of delamination or separation??

Last edited by choddo; 09-21-23 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-21-23, 04:08 PM
bblair

Originally Posted by choddo
So at what frequency do you go back to the Bike shop to check for signs of delamination or separation??
That doesn't bother me because I go back for annual checkup anyway.

But what does concern me is what happens if I am 50 miles from home, with no cell coverage and the thing explodes. Naturally, I just installed new chainrings or I'd be tempted to just get a whole new set.
Old 09-21-23, 04:10 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I have a 6800 crankset from my bike in 2017. I have close to 50,000 miles on it should I be concerned or worried? I am a mechanic but what do I need to do to see if the crankset will fail?
Old 09-21-23, 04:20 PM
choddo

That doesn't bother me because I go back for annual checkup anyway.

But what does concern me is what happens if I am 50 miles from home, with no cell coverage and the thing explodes. Naturally, I just installed new chainrings or I'd be tempted to just get a whole new set.
That's sort of my point. So my crank looks fine when I take it in to be checked today? I'm sure all the ones that have assploded looked fine X days beforehand.
Old 09-21-23, 04:31 PM
deacon mark

So I check mine and it is in the recall batch and I watched the Shimano video on what to inspect. Things seem to look good and as other say maybe we don't know till it all simply comes apart when bearing down in a huge output of power? One thing for sure this crankset and infact the whole groupset 6800 has been great I have as I say almost 50,000 miles on it not kilometers.
Old 09-21-23, 05:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Here is the CPSC link: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Sh...o-Crash-Hazard

I wonder if Hambini is gloating yet?

cf: https://www.hambini.com/shimano-cran...ring-analysis/

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 09-21-23 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-21-23, 06:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I have a 6800 crankset from my bike in 2017. I have close to 50,000 miles on it should I be concerned or worried? I am a mechanic but what do I need to do to see if the crankset will fail?
It is for 2019 onwards so you should be set, mine is from 2016 and it is not part of the recall so not worried.

I mean I would bring it in yearly at least for a tune up and check over so if you do that you should be set obviously check your bike with some frequency anyway as you should do and you are less likely to have issues. It is possible it could fail at some point but I think if they thought it was a definite failure possibility across the board they would be recalling everything regardless.
Old 09-21-23, 06:51 PM
deacon mark

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is for 2019 onwards so you should be set, mine is from 2016 and it is not part of the recall so not worried.

I mean I would bring it in yearly at least for a tune up and check over so if you do that you should be set obviously check your bike with some frequency anyway as you should do and you are less likely to have issues. It is possible it could fail at some point but I think if they thought it was a definite failure possibility across the board they would be recalling everything regardless.

No the exact opposite those made before 2019 from 2012-2019z
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 09-21-23, 07:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
No the exact opposite those made before 2019 from 2012-2019z
Oh crap I cannot read, my bad!! Yes, then I would keep an eye on it but after 50k miles if it hasn't failed you are probably going to be OK. I think my brain has melted into a puddle of goo it has been a long week and a long day today.
Old 09-21-23, 07:24 PM
choddo

Well, they’re not telling people to check them every X miles/months/sprints. They thought they were fine when they made them too. And it was kind of a rhetorical question.

Real if unusual scenario: I’ve got a 9100 FC on the shelf I was planning to install in the next month. If I were to take that in, I think it’ll quite possibly get the OK since it’s never been used. Might it fail 500km later? Don’t think they’ve given us any clue … or have they?

and ah yeah, that Hambini video was where I’d seen it before - thanks. And of course he’s gloating
Old 09-21-23, 09:36 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
deja vu
Old 09-21-23, 09:46 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
The bike industry is SO STUPID about galvanic corrosion.
Old 09-22-23, 08:00 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 747 Posts
Good info in this article as well. Shimano crank recall | Details of global 'inspection and replacement' process issued - BikeRadar
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-22-23, 08:26 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
So these should be called 'Shimano Death Cranks', right?
Likes For Vintage_Cyclist:
Old 09-23-23, 01:25 PM
Het Volk

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts

Not so sure. This seems to me to stem from the fact the total cranks impacted is 2.4 million worldwide. Ignoring the financial impact there is no way they can ramp up production to replace all cranks for full replacement without basically halting all new sales for several years, which would be a death blow.

They are trying to stave off massive lawsuits by trying to identify those cranks that are at the highest current risk of delamination…

But as other have noted, the fact a crank looks fine today is no guarantee it’s not going to break in 6 months. Shimano should basically tell everyone not to ride these cranks, and then work on a long-term replacement program….but of course they are being coy and hoping they can save money by putting its customer at continued risk.

This is going to make the used bike market also insane given how many bikes have these model cranksets.
Old 09-24-23, 02:47 AM
Joeyseven

Bikes: Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
From the OP article link

If you have an affected crank, you are advised to immediately stop using it and contact a Shimano dealer or an authorized inspection centre (essentially any store that is familiar with Shimano components and has passed Shimano's maintenance course). The dealer will then perform an inspection, and where signs of delamination or separation are found, a free replacement will be issued
My 2016 Raleigh Tamland 2 has FC 6800 46/36 175 NE cranks that are on the list.
Also, have two new(still in the box) Ultegra hollow tech cranks that I bought many years ago when parts were much cheaper in price. Not sure if these are on the list, still need to check the numbers when I find the box they are stored in.

My 2016 Raleigh Tamland has only about 500 to 800 miles on it, As I own many bicycles and do not see any separation. Plan to let the LBS inspect them next time I go to the bike shop. But if they look okay, who is to say others and I will not have problems in the future? Will be following this recall, hopefully, Shimano
does bicycle riders right to avoid as many future injuries that still could happen.

hmm, some other forums posting are saying this recall is way overdue.

This is LONG past due. There's a "Thanks Shimano" Instagram account loaded with these failing.

Last edited by Joeyseven; 09-24-23 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-24-23, 03:44 AM
choddo

Yeah hambini made this point about the instagram channel in his first video a year ago I think but certainly on his update after this news.
Old 09-24-23, 07:26 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
This has been an issue for quite some time before this recall. It has happened to some, but most have been unaffected. It can not only leave you stranded far from home, but if you're putting significant torque on the pedals when the happens, the result can be catastrophic. Do you feel lucky?

Note this issue is only on Ultegra and Dura-Ace. Replace it with a 105 and don't look back:

https://www.backcountry.com/b/shiman...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 09-24-23, 08:25 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Kontact
The bike industry is SO STUPID about galvanic corrosion.
My kid who is doing a mechanical engineering degree had a 1-term chemistry requirement. It wasn't the term that would cover oxidative potentials and redox reactions.

They used to teach this in high school chemistry. Probably not anymore.
Old 09-24-23, 08:28 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Well, they’re not telling people to check them every X miles/months/sprints. They thought they were fine when they made them too. And it was kind of a rhetorical question.

Real if unusual scenario: I’ve got a 9100 FC on the shelf I was planning to install in the next month. If I were to take that in, I think it’ll quite possibly get the OK since it’s never been used. Might it fail 500km later? Don’t think they’ve given us any clue … or have they?

and ah yeah, that Hambini video was where I’d seen it before - thanks. And of course he’s gloating
The FC 9100 sitting on the shelf is probably fine. Assuming Hambini is right about the galvanic corrosion, you need to get water (and some ions) in there to complete the galvanic circuit. That is probably why only a small fraction of these fail.
Old 09-24-23, 09:06 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The FC 9100 sitting on the shelf is probably fine. Assuming Hambini is right about the galvanic corrosion, you need to get water (and some ions) in there to complete the galvanic circuit. That is probably why only a small fraction of these fail.
Water doesn't have to get inside, it just needs to run across steel and aluminum anywhere to form the circuit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.