Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Should there be no chain contact with front derailleur no matter what gear?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Should there be no chain contact with front derailleur no matter what gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 09:16 AM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Yes. They specify minimum chainstay length, because allowing shorter means having to tolerate more and more oblique angles. It's geometrically simpler to tolerate unconstrained long chainstays, because the chain angle asymptotically approaches straight.
Was just showing an example of the type of info Shimano sometimes makes available regarding recommended frame design configuration.

Originally Posted by choddo
I think they misunderstood why (or indeed that) you were saying they’d have to specify a maximum length to guarantee rub when cross-chaining.
I fully understand how the how chainstay length effects chainrub issues. Kontact, on the other hand, is just posting more of his worthless views of things.
Old 10-12-23, 11:25 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
Was just showing an example of the type of info Shimano sometimes makes available regarding recommended frame design configuration.

I fully understand how the how chainstay length effects chainrub issues. Kontact, on the other hand, is just posting more of his worthless views of things.
Really? What is my "view"? That crossover chains rub large rings? That's a fact, not an opinion.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-12-23, 11:44 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
I set up my wife's 10 speed Tiagra system last year. My recollection is that the dealer instructions actually said that the small front / small back combination might cause the chain to rub against the interior face of the larger chainring. On my wife's bike, it could be set up such that no rub occurred in the offending combination but I took the warning to imply that is not always the case.

I was particularly surprised to be able to achieve a rub-less condition given that my wife's bike is very small and, thus, has pretty short chain stays. My best guess as to why it works is that she also has a compact chainring setup. If the large chainring got smaller but the small chainring stayed the same size, I'd think that would help with the rubbing. I struggle to visualize if that's also the case when both rings are reduced in size. Here, I'm thinking of the difference between a 53/39 and a 50/34.

My experience with lower speed systems seems to mirror that of others. Whether or not higher speed systems can be made rub-less with enough skill, I've found that my 7 & 8 speed systems can be made rub-less almost effortlessly. And I like that. I'm actually building up a couple of 1x7 bikes partly for this reason.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 10-12-23, 12:47 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Now you're just telling two people reporting the exact same thing that they are idiots and you know better. But you don't have any experience, so I don't know why you are so insistent that the world works like you think it does.
. . .
Or you could look at a bike.
Thanks for spelling it all out. I was just getting sick and tired.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 10-12-23, 09:40 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74

I was particularly surprised to be able to achieve a rub-less condition given that my wife's bike is very small and, thus, has pretty short chain stays.
Does chainstay length vary much with framesize? Not got a lot of clearance behind the seat tube to play with.

edit: looked one up at random, 420mm for all sizes of Aspero, 415 on the Caledonian, 410 on the R5, 405 (as per an earlier comment) on the S5.

Last edited by choddo; 10-12-23 at 09:46 PM.
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-12-23, 09:58 PM
Kontact 

Does chainstay length vary much with framesize? Not got a lot of clearance behind the seat tube to play with.

edit: looked one up at random, 420mm for all sizes of Aspero, 415 on the Caledonian, 410 on the R5, 405 (as per an earlier comment) on the S5.
Cervelo geometry is somewhat attypical - like their use of 73 degree STAs on all sizes.

I have seen a lot of geo charts, and chainstay length does sometimes grow with larger sizes, though it sometimes gets longer for the very smallest sizes.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 10-12-23, 11:05 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Wife's bike is a 48 cm Norco Valence for what it's worth. Her stays are simply shorter than the stays on my bikes. Many of mine tend to be 58-63 cm, long TT / slack ST geometry frames. I was built for the "sport tourer" it seems.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 10-13-23, 05:39 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Harold74
Wife's bike is a 48 cm Norco Valence for what it's worth. Her stays are simply shorter than the stays on my bikes. Many of mine tend to be 58-63 cm, long TT / slack ST geometry frames. I was built for the "sport tourer" it seems.
For a road race bike, her frame has longish 412mm rear stays. And then if it has Shimano cranks, they also have more cross chain clearance.

https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/...-aluminum-105/
Old 10-16-23, 02:32 PM
Harold74

Does chainstay length vary much with framesize?
I acknowledge your fundamental point though choddo. Chainstay length doesn't seem to vary anywhere near as much as the other proportions of frames do as one scales up. As you intimated, that surely has much to do with most of us using the same wheel size regardless of the bike frame size.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 10-18-23, 04:12 PM
trucklet
good cheap fun

Bikes: Too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
Avoid cross-chaining, read the setup instructions (so easy to do), and check your shift cables and housing, even if the bike is new. I find a lot of bikes out of the box have plastic housing ends and the plastic sheathing shrinking at the ends, exposing the housing's wire strands and allowing your shift system to flex slightly instead of staying rigid, causing mushy, inconsistent shifting. This can really affect 10+ speed systems. Nine and below are much more forgiving. Trim those housing ends flush and use metal end caps.
Likes For trucklet: