Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mechanic vs Di2 Maintenance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mechanic vs Di2 Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24, 09:03 AM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Online reviews or just looking at it. Flimsy hangers generally look flimsy.

Did you try a Wheels brand replacement hanger?

How about a pic of your hanger? What bike? Do you need to change the name to protect the innocent?
I'm not going to change the names. We're talking about bikes, not children! I took two pictures of the derailleur hanger on the bike:

My bike is the Giant TCR Advanced Pro. I'm running the Wheels Manufacturing 290 derailleur. Right now, the bike is shifting very well. Here's a link to the derailleur hanger: https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-290.html

The bike I had significant issues with the derailleur hanger was a Cannonade CAADX. It had significant issues even when I used the Wheels Manufacturing hanger, which was a 199. Here's a link: https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-199.html
Old 02-04-24, 09:58 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
I respectfully disagree with those who bring up "weak" hangers.

First of all, I remind you that these are designed to break to protect the frame, in the same way a fuse protects a circuit. And I agree that some are weaker than others and may break too easily, analogous to a 15amp fuse in a circuit that could handle 20amps.

But bending is a different story. No hanger, regardless of its lack of strength bends without provocation. Normal shifting simply doesn't produce enough force. Also more force is needed to downshift, and that would bend the hanger out, rather than in.

So, I come back to my earlier suggestion that the OP needs to explore how and why he keeps bending hangers before doing anything elsre.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-04-24, 10:49 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I respectfully disagree with those who bring up "weak" hangers.

First of all, I remind you that these are designed to break to protect the frame, in the same way a fuse protects a circuit. And I agree that some are weaker than others and may break too easily, analogous to a 15amp fuse in a circuit that could handle 20amps.

But bending is a different story. No hanger, regardless of its lack of strength bends without provocation. Normal shifting simply doesn't produce enough force. Also more force is needed to downshift, and that would bend the hanger out, rather than in.

So, I come back to my earlier suggestion that the OP needs to explore how and why he keeps bending hangers before doing anything elsre.
Except the replacement hangers don't shear off, they bend. They are generally all made of un-heat treated aluminum and can be bent a fair amount more than once before they will actually crack.
Old 02-04-24, 10:57 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by AMoney
I'm not going to change the names. We're talking about bikes, not children! I took two pictures of the derailleur hanger on the bike:

My bike is the Giant TCR Advanced Pro. I'm running the Wheels Manufacturing 290 derailleur. Right now, the bike is shifting very well. Here's a link to the derailleur hanger: https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-290.html

The bike I had significant issues with the derailleur hanger was a Cannonade CAADX. It had significant issues even when I used the Wheels Manufacturing hanger, which was a 199. Here's a link: https://wheelsmfg.com/derailleur-hanger-199.html
Those both look reasonably stout. It is interesting that the one you had the most problems with is mounted on the outside of the dropout. Inside is a more typical design as it allows the hanger to bend away from the dropout after a side impact to the derailleur.

But that doesn't explain why you've had so many problems.
Old 02-04-24, 11:37 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
However, if I continue to have the issues with my derailleur hanger on this bike semi-frequently, is the only solution to replace the bike?
Your problem is almost certainly user error -- which means that a new bike won't solve it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-04-24, 01:11 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
I'm looking at the photos and could just be a distorted image but it looks like the left dropout is tweaked quite a bit which could cause some problems. Just asking.
Old 02-04-24, 01:19 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Haven't read the thread, just replying to the OP -

Rim brake Di2 is a great way to minimise your maintenance. For extra points, a frame with a threaded BB. But if your frame has a sketchy hanger (some are just soft), it'll keep messing up your shifting. Another advantage of Di2 is that you can adjust it on the fly...

There's a good chance the Wheels Manufacturing replacement for your hanger is stiffer; I'd try that.
Old 02-04-24, 01:28 PM
Kontact 

Why does it look like you are missing the rear hanger mounting screw?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-04-24, 03:25 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Yes, it looks to be missing, and looking through the hole, it looks as if the holes do not line up as a result, so the hanger has turned on the existing screw. The missing screw would certainly explain the necessity of frequent adjustments, since the hangar would move.
Likes For phughes:
Old 02-04-24, 05:30 PM
AMoney

The bolt wasn't in as far in as the other one, but it wasn't missing. I took a picture from the other side. It's hard to see in the photo, but the one on the left sits further out, so it didn't go as far in:

Nevertheless, I was able to tighten it somewhat, see the before and after.

It seemed very tight (about as the tight as the one that goes further in) I don't want to tighten it any further at the moment. I tried to find the torque recommendations but didn't have any luck. Are torque specs specific to each derailleur hanger? Or, do they apply to derailleur hangers in general?
Old 02-04-24, 05:39 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot of paint missing from around your dropout?
Old 02-04-24, 05:43 PM
Kontact 

The bolt wasn't in as far in as the other one, but it wasn't missing. I took a picture from the other side. It's hard to see in the photo, but the one on the left sits further out, so it didn't go as far in:

Nevertheless, I was able to tighten it somewhat, see the before and after.

It seemed very tight (about as the tight as the one that goes further in) I don't want to tighten it any further at the moment. I tried to find the torque recommendations but didn't have any luck. Are torque specs specific to each derailleur hanger? Or, do they apply to derailleur hangers in general?
It is a little strange that the forward screw is more countersunk than the rear. It could be that the edge of the rear screw is hanging up on the edge of the hole instead of allowing the head to settle in. So I'd take that bolt out and look at whether the hole is actually shallower than the rear. If it isn't, you might have some wiggle that would explain why this hanger isn't behaving.

These don't have to be torqued. Probably 3nM is way more than enough. This is more a "just past snug" situation, and shouldn't require a torque wrench at all. If they get loose, that's where you would use low strength. loctite to prevent moving.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-04-24, 05:44 PM
AMoney

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I'm looking at the photos and could just be a distorted image but it looks like the left dropout is tweaked quite a bit which could cause some problems. Just asking.
When I took the pictures this morning, I was wondering if the left dropout was bent. After your post, I took a better picture of it. If it is in fact bent, I imagine it would be at least partially responsible for some of my shifting problems, but how specifically? Also, how easy would it be to unbend the dropout?
Old 02-04-24, 05:57 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
When I took the pictures this morning, I was wondering if the left dropout was bent. After your post, I took a better picture of it. If it is in fact bent, I imagine it would be at least partially responsible for some of my shifting problems, but how specifically? Also, how easy would it be to unbend the dropout?
Dropouts need to be parallel and there is a special tool to make it easy but you can improvise
or just take it to a shop. If the dropouts are bent and non-parallel it can put stress and even slightly bow the axle in some situations making an unstable drivetrain sometimes. I say "sometimes" as it's usually a minute difference but with 10+ speed setups that can make a big enough difference as they have to be very precise.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-04-24, 06:10 PM
AMoney

It is a little strange that the forward screw is more countersunk than the rear. It could be that the edge of the rear screw is hanging up on the edge of the hole instead of allowing the head to settle in. So I'd take that bolt out and look at whether the hole is actually shallower than the rear. If it isn't, you might have some wiggle that would explain why this hanger isn't behaving.

These don't have to be torqued. Probably 3nM is way more than enough. This is more a "just past snug" situation, and shouldn't require a torque wrench at all. If they get loose, that's where you would use low strength. loctite to prevent moving.
I took off the derailleur hanger, took a picture of the right dropout, and put the derailleur hanger back on. It was the same as before. The bolt was going all the way through. I think that that the front hole is countersunk.

Last edited by AMoney; 02-04-24 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-24, 07:30 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
You know what would be nice?

If Wheels Mfg would make direct mount versions of their hangers for more recent bikes... The double hanger with two mounting bolts situation is just awful.

Probably not part of the problem here, since it's so widespread and isn't known for causing these dramas, but it certainly wouldn't help.

Anyway, I'd look closely at how the hanger connects to the dropout, as FB suggested. From your pics, I can't see any reason why one bolt should sit further out; maybe start there.
Old 02-04-24, 07:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Except the replacement hangers don't shear off, they bend. They are generally all made of un-heat treated aluminum and can be bent a fair amount more than once before they will actually crack.
Bend or break there has to be some outside force involved. Which is the point I've been trying to get across since way back in post #12. In post #35 I posited that----

Instead, I suspect that the hanger is not secure and rigid where it's attached. All too often, the mating surfaces either aren't flat, or something is preventing the hanger from pocketing correctly. That allows for it to move slightly throwing the RD off.

It's nice to see that folks are FINALLY considering this. Hopefully the OP can get the hanger properly and rigidly secured to the frame.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-04-24, 07:42 PM
Kontact 

Bend or break there has to be some outside force involved. Which is the point I've been trying to get across since way back in post #12. In post #35 I posited that----

Instead, I suspect that the hanger is not secure and rigid where it's attached. All too often, the mating surfaces either aren't flat, or something is preventing the hanger from pocketing correctly. That allows for it to move slightly throwing the RD off.

It's nice to see that folks are FINALLY considering this. Hopefully the OP can get the hanger properly and rigidly secured to the frame.
I believe I made the same point in my first post in this thread. But the OPs Giant hanger does seem secure, and the Cannondale is not available.

There are definitely some hangers which bend surprisingly easily, and some people that seem blissfully unaware of how much they bang their bikes into things. So far their is no one cause for the OP's problems - mainly because we have no way of testing the previous bike.
Old 02-04-24, 08:11 PM
FBinNY 

There are definitely some hangers which bend surprisingly easily, and some people that seem blissfully unaware of how much they bang their bikes into things. So far their is no one cause for the OP's problems .....
Agreed that.some hangers are mire flexy than others, but bending wants an explanation. Also agree that some people are unaware of their n rough handling, so that MAY be the explanation.

But the OP has reported multiple bent hangers on this bike, which is much more than a fluke.

IMO blaming the hanger is a distraction keeping people from a serious search for the actual cause.

Old 02-04-24, 08:19 PM
Kontact 

Agreed that.some hangers are mire flexy than others, but bending wants an explanation. Also agree that some people are unaware of their n rough handling, so that MAY be the explanation.

But the OP has reported multiple bent hangers on this bike, which is much more than a fluke.

IMO blaming the hanger is a distraction keeping people from a serious search for the actual cause.
If the hanger wasn't bent, then straightening it wouldn't have corrected the problem (at least temporarily).

@AMoney, do you have your QRs nice and tight? I have run into a lot of people who's quick release I could open with my fingers. Hangers like on your bikes rely on the QR for structural strength.
Old 02-04-24, 08:25 PM
FBinNY 

If the hanger wasn't bent, then straightening it wouldn't have corrected the problem (at least temporarily).
Never said there wasn't either bending or other movement/deflection. That's a given. However the question remains whether it's movement or bending, and in either case HOW and WHY that's happening.

Old 02-04-24, 08:40 PM
AMoney

@AMoney, do you have your QRs nice and tight? I have run into a lot of people who's quick release I could open with my fingers. Hangers like on your bikes rely on the QR for structural strength.
I have repeatedly checked the rear QR since this thread. It is about as tight as it can be while still allowing it to be fully locked.

When you say pocketing, what do you mean? IF the dropout on the left side is bent (which is hard to tell if it is, I'll get another set of eyes or two in real life), would this be a possible culprit? If so, how easy would it be to unbend the dropout (which is carbon)?
Old 02-05-24, 02:29 AM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I have repeatedly checked the rear QR since this thread. It is about as tight as it can be while still allowing it to be fully locked.

When you say pocketing, what do you mean? IF the dropout on the left side is bent (which is hard to tell if it is, I'll get another set of eyes or two in real life), would this be a possible culprit? If so, how easy would it be to unbend the dropout (which is carbon)?
Not very but that doesn’t look like carbon under the missing paint. Metal dropouts bonded to carbon stays perhaps? How did that paint get damaged so much?
Old 02-05-24, 03:04 AM
FBinNY 

The left dropout may or may not be bent, but that's not the problem here. (In any case, CF assemblies cannot be bent. Any movement beyond yield fractures the matrix and compromises the structure)

Your issue is all about the hanger and right dropout.

By pocketing properly, I mean fitting together perfectly flat, with no wiggle room. The bolts should be holding it in place, but only that.

Test by assembling the hanger onto the frame holding it in place with thumb and forefinger. It should feel rock solid and unable to wiggle.

If this seems to be the issue, I'd assemble it with a bit of autobody filler, bolt it together tight squeezing excess out, and letting it cure. Then finish by mounting the wheel and using a hanger tool to align.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-05-24 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-10-24, 04:28 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Your issue is all about the hanger and right dropout.

By pocketing properly, I mean fitting together perfectly flat, with no wiggle room. The bolts should be holding it in place, but only that.
I'm wondering if that raised screw head under the skewer nut is affecting the axle clamping force in some way that is causing problems with the hanger.
Likes For grumpus:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.