Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rust remover broke my chain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rust remover broke my chain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-24, 01:27 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by elfmachine
Titanium is great material but it rare and expensive. So I will have to stick to the steel chain.
Yeah. Titanium chains, the real ones run ~$200+
Wippermann SX chains are stainless through & through. The other models like S0 and others have various other lower grade materials sprinkled in to meet various price points. The good news is Wippermann starts "newer" than many lesser chains due to manufacturing tolerances. The SX stainless chain, even at $80 will be money well spent.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-06-24, 01:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I fully disagree. First, elfmachine heard audible pops during the soak. There is little that would make sounds like that other than the metal actively cracking. Second, the outer plate isn’t force fit over the pin….
We don't have to argue. I stated my opinion, you stated yours and that's the end of it for me.

To be clear, I did read the OP and understood that the popping indicates that it was cracking in solution, and nothing I wrote contradicted that.

OTOH- you might reconsider your post regarding chain construction. If it's not an example of typing faster than thinking, you might want to read up on the subject.

In any case, you clearly have more patience for argument than I'll ever have, so. I'll end it the same way I have so often in the past, happy to leave readers extract what they will and form their own judgements.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-06-24 at 02:01 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-06-24, 01:44 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
...I rode my bike with an unlubricated chain... cracks developed from riding an unlubricated rusted chain?

Yep...

Come on man... You Know This... Ha
Old 02-06-24, 02:27 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
You spent a lot of time working on a chain that you didn't have time to lubricate.

I think that your chain broke from simple rust and corrosion.
definitely a learning experience
Old 02-06-24, 02:51 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
I soaked it only for 10-15 minutes and during this time I heard popping sounds. It is hard to believe that rust remover had enough force to actualy break steel. Could this be chain quality issue, it being fake substandard?
Unlikely anyone's going to fake SunRace products, they're not junk but are at the "value" rather than "performance" end of the market - better to fake something more expensive or widely used. Or maybe that's what the pirates want us to think.
Old 02-06-24, 03:00 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

To the OP---

Stop looking for excuses and/or blaming the chain.

You're not the first to have a chain rust out, and won't be the last. Nor are you the first or last to encounter the effects of hydrogen embrittlement, by using a poorly chosen rust remover or solvent. This error is so common that many chain companies publish general warnings on the subject.

So, consider yourself as having received a cheap lesson, and lucky that it didn't happen on the road.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-06-24, 05:49 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
All chains are embossed. It’s how companies mark their chains so that you know what chain you have. Most of the time, that embossing isn’t a problem and doesn’t have any effect on the strength of the chain. But the chain wasn’t meant to be soaked in reactive chemicals, either. Salt on the surface isn’t much of a problem, especially if it is rinsed off occasionally. The chain in that picture had to be soaked for weeks in a salt solution as part of a demonstration of what happens when a chain is soaked in a water based “mineral spirits” solution. You can read the gory details here.

Naval jelly works to take surface rust off of steel exposed to weather but it is meant as a surface treatment. The phosphoric acid reacts with the iron to make iron phosphate which is water insoluble and prevent further rusting but it isn’t meant to be used as a long term soak. It should be allowed to react for perhaps hours but not for more than that. And it is usually used on something that is not load bearing. You might have built up a zinc coating on the surface but the phosphoric acid was eating away at small cracks, making them into larger cracks.

If you really need to soak something to get rid of rust, the Evapo-rust solution works better and really is meant to soak for hours to days.
Just being prickly with words, chains are not embossed. They are stamped. Embossed lettering would rise, not recess.
Old 02-06-24, 06:32 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Yes, it was exposed to salt used to melt snow. But I heard popping sounds when I filled the chain with rust remover. I want to know what exactly damaged the chain so as not to repeat mistakes again.
If you simply lube your chain regularly, you'll avoid the problem in the future. That's all there is to it. Type of lube, how and how much to clean are things to think about, but just keep it lubed at the minimum.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-06-24 at 06:36 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-06-24, 07:21 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
We don't have to argue. I stated my opinion, you stated yours and that's the end of it for me.

To be clear, I did read the OP and understood that the popping indicates that it was cracking in solution, and nothing I wrote contradicted that.
The issue is that there is no neutral pH solution nor even a high pH solution that would lead to cracking noises during the soak. A rusty chain dropped into water or mineral spirits or detergent based degreaser will not pop nor make noises nor crack for that matter. Although I have not tested it, a chelating bath like Evapo-Rust won’t lead to cracking noises either. Nor are rusted chains cracked as a general rule. Salt in water over time can cause cracking…I’ve done the experiment…but anything that makes an audible noise is indicative of an active chemical reaction.

OTOH- you might reconsider your post regarding chain construction. If it's not an example of typing faster than thinking, you might want to read up on the subject.
”Force fit” says something different from “press fit”. Force fit implies deformation of the plate material during assembly and a tighter fit which wouldn’t rotate. The plates of the chain are pressed on the pin but they aren’t forced on. The plate has to rotate on the pin for the chain to work.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-06-24, 07:34 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

To the OP---

Stop looking for excuses and/or blaming the chain.

You're not the first to have a chain rust out, and won't be the last. Nor are you the first or last to encounter the effects of hydrogen embrittlement, by using a poorly chosen rust remover or solvent. This error is so common that many chain companies publish general warnings on the subject.

So, consider yourself as having received a cheap lesson, and lucky that it didn't happen on the road.
I’m going to disagree again. Hydrogen embrittlement isn’t really a possible mechanism at the temperatures and atmospheric conditions you’d run across in a chain exposed to air at ambient temperatures. There is no source hydrogen available for this to occur. Free hydrogen really isn’t available. Chloride cracking is a possibility because everything is there for it to happen but, again, the more likely cause is the reaction with phosphoric acid. Yes, it is due to a poor choice of rust remover and lack of knowledge on elfmachine’s part.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-06-24, 07:56 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
The plates of the chain are pressed on the pin but they aren’t forced on. The plate has to rotate on the pin for the chain to work.
You’re splitting hairs again.

The pin is certainly pressed into the outer side plates for a force fit. The pins most definitely do not rotate in the outer side plates. The inner plates with the roller rotate on the pin.
Old 02-06-24, 08:21 PM
FBinNY 

The issue is that there is no neutral pH solution nor even a high pH solution that would lead to cracking noises during the soak. A rusty chain dropped into water or mineral spirits or detergent based degreaser will not pop nor make noises nor crack for that matter. Although I have not tested it, a chelating bath like Evapo-Rust won’t lead to cracking noises either. Nor are rusted chains cracked as a general rule. Salt in water over time can cause cracking…I’ve done the experiment…but anything that makes an audible noise is indicative of an active chemical reaction.

”Force fit” says something different from “press fit”. Force fit implies deformation of the plate material during assembly and a tighter fit which wouldn’t rotate. The plates of the chain are pressed on the pin but they aren’t forced on. The plate has to rotate on the pin for the chain to work.
As I said I won't waste effort arguing with you about anything, because you start with false assumptions, then won't let go of them.

To understand how outer plates fail at the pin hole, you have to understand how chains are made, which, based on your earlier post, you clearly don't. Outer plate failures at the rivet hole is a very well documented and understood phenomenon. If, instead of assuming, you took the time to research the specific topics at hand, you wouldn't head down false paths and argue endlessly.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-06-24 at 09:11 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-06-24, 08:24 PM
FBinNY 

I’m going to disagree again.....
No surprise there.

......Hydrogen embrittlement isn’t really a possible mechanism at the temperatures and atmospheric conditions you’d run across in a chain exposed to air at ambient temperatures.....
I'm starting to believe that you can't read, either. ----- Where did I say that hydrogen embrittlement happens in air?
This is simply more of your strawman tactics to cover your own lack of expertise.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-06-24 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-06-24, 10:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I thought I'd pass on the routine I did for about a half dozen salt road winters that worked quite well and was pretty darn close to the absolute minimum amount chain maintenance you can do. (With all outside faucets and hoses shut down for the winter and no permission to wash or clean my bike inside. It got wheeled into my parents basement or leaned against my apartment hall wall standing on a plastic carpet runner. So, ridden hard and put away wet. At least five days a week. No car.

The routine - 1) The bike's were always fix gears. I started each winter with a normally wet lubed chain. While things were still dry and clean, I stayed on top of lubrication. But then winter got dark and cold. I wanted to warm up and shed clothes when I got home, not fiddle with a filthy bike. And eventually, the roads got salted. (Boston and Ann Arbor.) A link would freeze up. I'd move the wheel forward a touch to get the chain slack back. Another frozen link. Repeat. Third link I'd pull the wheel or slack the chain a lot, lube it with lots of oil and work out the frozen links, loosening them a touch with a riveter if needed. (This was long before anyone peened the pins.) Come March and better roads and weather, chain, cog and chainring come off and get tossed. New ones go on. (Plus bearings, cleanup, bar tape, rims and spokes. Ready to be my fix gear training rig for the next race season.

So, not a whole lot of work. (Except the once a year bike overhaul. Not ridiculous for wheels that took me 5000 miles a year in all weather and has to work reliably through anything.) Compared to any car I've owned, easy except I do the work instead of paying someone else hundreds. December was fun! Good wheels, good tires, almost new chain. By the end of February, the bike was deep into a state of funk. The wheels weren't remotely round. The chain as described above. I simply didn't look other than the occasional chain slack check (which I really didn't need to look at. I could feel that next frozen link.)

Ah, the good old days when I was young, strong and those crashes on ice were just a part of life. (I now have to arrange pillows around those many time injured body corners every night.)
Old 02-07-24, 01:10 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 333 Posts
I have not read all posts. If not said already, a rusty chain will, or soon will once ridden, "stretch" (increase in length from accelerated wear at pivots), or just be old enough that it is stretched, and this will permanently alter the precise tooth spacing of your cogs and chainrings, such that when you mount a new chain, it skips. Chains are the cheapest part of the system, replace when stretched (there are specs online for max allowable stretch, the chain is 1/2" between pins, and when stretched out under tension, laid next to an english tape measure and first pin lined up with zero, you can easily see how much stretch at the other end).

Sunrace, I think, is not even an expensive chain. My last chain purchase I bought a KMC 8 speed chain with free connector link, on sale for $10, free shipping (a friend has amazon prime). Excellent chain at a great price.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 02-07-24 at 01:14 AM.
Old 02-07-24, 05:19 PM
choddo

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
That's exactly what happened to my chain Can you explain how acid was able to break chain links, zinc coating build up in crevices? This was bad chain to purchase, should I avoid embossed chains? It was more expensive chain so I hoped it would last longer but I was wrong.
It might have done if you’d bothered to spend 5 minutes a week looking after it
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-07-24, 05:22 PM
choddo

I stopped lubricating chain with oil and now I use cleaner method of dipping chain in microcrystallne wax with teflon powder. But before doing that I clean away grit with water and used rust remover to remove excess rust. Are there chains made of more corrosion resistant alloys?
I would go back to the oil. Sounds like the environment your chain’s operating in isn’t appropriate for the wax & teflon approach if it’s rusting.
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-07-24, 05:28 PM
choddo

No surprise there.

I'm starting to believe that you can't read, either. ----- Where did I say that hydrogen embrittlement happens in air?
This is simply more of your strawman tactics to cover your own lack of expertise.
I think he misunderstood/misinterpreted your “lucky it didn’t happen out on the road”
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-07-24, 06:05 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Chains are really cheeep! What's your time worth? What did it cost to "clean" chain? Where is the economy and practicality of what you did?
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-08-24, 01:03 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Chains are really cheeep! What's your time worth? What did it cost to "clean" chain? Where is the economy and practicality of what you did?
Agree. +1. Uhh, not cheap at the LBS, but often cheap on amazon, and if you know what chain to select, it's zero risk, less variables than other parts. *sigh* I don't like to support the evil empire of amazon, but the difference in parts cost is huge, especially for older stuff like 7/8/9 speed. IF, shipping is free, and a friend of mine has amazon prime with free shipping and returns. I was gonna do an order myself, had free shipping above a certain order amount, but then they raised that minimum.
Old 02-08-24, 01:37 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I thought I'd pass on the routine I did for about a half dozen salt road winters that worked quite well and was pretty darn close to the absolute minimum amount chain maintenance you can do.....)
My routine was similar to yours, both for the track and road bikes.

Knowing salted roads were going to be murder, I'd go nothing new starting late October. Then ride and ignore until Spring.

Clean and overhaul, replace road chain & freewheel, since they were overdue anyway, and possibly the track bike chain, but never the track sprocket or any chainrings. Road bike went well over 50k miles on original rings, and they surely showed it, but worked.

Old 02-08-24, 02:23 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by choddo
I would go back to the oil. Sounds like the environment your chain’s operating in isn’t appropriate for the wax & teflon approach if it’s rusting.
I used the wax method on my road bike in the '90s, cleaner, but kind of pain to (about every 3 or 4 weeks) do the wax melt and dip. I was still clueless and just used candle wax, so did not use any teflon or other additive, should have perhaps found some molybdenum disulfide or teflon if available. In my current environment with my townie and occasional rain, I need to use oil. Also, getting an "on-bike" chain cleaner makes the whole operation much easier; clean with mineral oil in cleaner, wipe dry or let air for a day or two if not using bike, apply drop of lube to each pivot, done. If really gooky, I pull the crank and clean, and clean the derailleur pulleys.
Old 02-08-24, 11:36 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by smd4
You’re splitting hairs again.

The pin is certainly pressed into the outer side plates for a force fit. The pins most definitely do not rotate in the outer side plates. The inner plates with the roller rotate on the pin.
This photo from Sheldon Brown’s site would argue otherwise. You can see obvious wear from the inner plate as indicated by the red arrow but you can also see a lip of wear as indicated by the green arrow. That same lip is visible above the red arrow. This indicates movement and wear. A large part of the reason that pins are peened now (and for about the last 20 to 25 years) is because the outer plate isn’t fixed on the pin.

Old 02-08-24, 11:46 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
This photo from Sheldon Brown’s site would argue otherwise. You can see obvious wear from the inner plate as indicated by the red arrow but you can also see a lip of wear as indicated by the green arrow. That same lip is visible above the red arrow. This indicates movement and wear. A large part of the reason that pins are peened now (and for about the last 20 to 25 years) is because the outer plate isn’t fixed on the pin
You mean the wear from the inner plate? If there's wear between the pin and outer plate, why doesn't the pin fall out eventually?

C'mon, man. You know better than this. You can't tell me that after working on bikes as long as you have that you actually believe the pins rotate in any way in the outer plates? What, pray tell, would cause such rotation against a press-fit pin? If this is your sincere belief, then we really don't have anything to discuss.

Since pins are fixed to the outer plates, no wear happens there. That is why, even on a heavily worn chain, the pitch between the two pins in the outer plates remains always the same.
Chain wear

Last edited by smd4; 02-08-24 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-08-24, 11:51 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Yes, it was exposed to salt used to melt snow. But I heard popping sounds when I filled the chain with rust remover. I want to know what exactly damaged the chain so as not to repeat mistakes again.
You did. Your lack of maintenance to the chain caused the failure. Learn from you mistake.
Likes For phughes:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.