Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Paint stripping on frame restoration

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-11, 04:43 AM
BigJohn99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was on the verge of using a heat gun to strip the paint from an old Motobecane thin-walled steel frame, when I thought about heat-treated steel etc, and had second thoughts. Does anyone know for sure if a heat-gun can damage a steel frame, or change the heat-treated properties? I'm not keen on using paintstripper.

Thank you.
Old 06-27-11, 07:15 AM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Theoretically, yes / practically, no. Have fun stripping away. Just don't think that the fumes given from the melting paint are harmless. Either way, make sure you have adequate ventilation and preferably a respirator.
Old 06-27-11, 03:20 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
paintstripper and use car paint, rattle can wont last long at all.
Old 06-28-11, 12:13 PM
zaskar.le

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless your going to hold heat gun to frame on its highest heat for a long while it's highly unlikely to do any damage unlike paint stripper which is highly toxic esp bad for guys hoping to father children.check net for contents of p/s! think you will soon leave it in it's can or on shelf!.
On way you can strip it is if you have a drill and a angle grinder get a zip wheel for them and wire brush that will remove all the paint and not metal.
Old 06-29-11, 10:16 PM
MikeX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few comments:

Your Motobecane is probably a lugged frame. That means that the lugs and tube ends have been brazed, which is to say they have already exposed to a temperature over 1000° F.

Almost all steel bicycle tubing for lugged frames is designed to be brazed (exposed to 1000° F plus) with minimal decrease in mechanical properties.

At 1000° F metal glows a dull red glow that can be seen in a darkened room.

In my experience, most paints soften and discolor at 300° F and are mostly goo at 500° F.

Though I suggest that you check the maximum temperature your heat gun can produce, perhaps with an oven thermometer, you have a huge safety margin between the 500° F where the paint comes loose and the 1000° F plus where you start having a significant effect on the mechanical properties.
Old 07-01-11, 03:41 AM
BigJohn99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much chaps. In the end I used a combination of all three methods. I did the big areas with a angle grinder stiff metal brush wheel, but this a bit rough with the edges of the lugs and braze-ons. This is the kind of thing that looks crap when you paint it. I then decided to use paintstripper for the tricky bits, remembered why I hate with the made a horrible smelly mess that ensued, then plumped for the heat gun. This is by far the best method, and almost as fast as the wire brush. The frame has a lot of sentimental value, so I wanted to be easy on it if possible.
Old 07-01-11, 03:42 AM
BigJohn99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eddubal
Theoretically, yes / practically, no. Have fun stripping away. Just don't think that the fumes given from the melting paint are harmless. Either way, make sure you have adequate ventilation and preferably a respirator.
eddubal - Good advice, it certainly does give off some fumes.
Old 07-01-11, 03:43 AM
BigJohn99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zaskar.le
Unless your going to hold heat gun to frame on its highest heat for a long while it's highly unlikely to do any damage unlike paint stripper which is highly toxic esp bad for guys hoping to father children.check net for contents of p/s! think you will soon leave it in it's can or on shelf!.
On way you can strip it is if you have a drill and a angle grinder get a zip wheel for them and wire brush that will remove all the paint and not metal.

zaskar.le - Good advice, thanks. Happily I have enough children, although lung cancer and organ damage I can do without.
Old 07-01-11, 03:44 AM
BigJohn99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeX
A few comments:

Your Motobecane is probably a lugged frame. That means that the lugs and tube ends have been brazed, which is to say they have already exposed to a temperature over 1000° F.

Almost all steel bicycle tubing for lugged frames is designed to be brazed (exposed to 1000° F plus) with minimal decrease in mechanical properties.

At 1000° F metal glows a dull red glow that can be seen in a darkened room.

In my experience, most paints soften and discolor at 300° F and are mostly goo at 500° F.

Though I suggest that you check the maximum temperature your heat gun can produce, perhaps with an oven thermometer, you have a huge safety margin between the 500° F where the paint comes loose and the 1000° F plus where you start having a significant effect on the mechanical properties.

MikeX - That's the answer I was looking for, thanks.