Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Parcel Force crushed my bike!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-20, 10:43 AM
m4rrk021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I was out and about today just returning home after a ride and I got stuck behind a parcel force van. The van had stopped at a small roundabout whilst another van did a 180. The van didn't move for a bit and then he started reversing a speed straight towards me. At first, I thought I'd be able to hop out the way but due to his speed, I just unclipped and dived for the payment. He then proceeded to run over my bike and crushed the wheel, bent the steering and the crank arms and scratched it all over.

Just wondering how other people have got on when making insurance claims from others?

- the frame doesn't look damaged but his wheel went right over it. As it's carbon I ain't riding that again. Can I insist on a replacement?
- My power meter crank is bent but i dont think this model is still made
- My bike is a 2018 Giant Propel with Di2 - I don't think the same spec model is made any more
- I don't want to take the p1ss but don't want to be out of pocket or ride something unsafe or be without a bike for ages - what can i insit on?
- Are claims management companies any use for this type of thing?

The the parcel force office is closed today and I can't talk to them until tomorrow, I got photos of his van and he did stop and give me card . A few people saw my bike under his wheel so I hope he doesn't try anything to avoid it.I do feel for the guy as he was going to give the van directions.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-19-20, 10:48 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
First thing is to file a police report. That gets everything going as far as insurance claims etc. Without it, not much documentation that it happened.

Second, make sure you're physically OK. If you suffered any kind of soft tissue damage (brusing, contusions etc), it tends not to show up for a few days. Wouldn't hurt to get yourself checked out if you think it's necessary.

Third, ask for full replacement of everything on your bike including the bike. Anything suspect should be replaced.

Good luck, and let us know how it plays out.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 04-19-20, 11:54 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Ahhhh you should have called the cops, if you did good, if not report it to the police and get a report ASAP!

yes they should pay for EVERYTHING! They were at fault. I am not sure how they are insured but they should have a process in place for such events. Worse case scenario you will have to get a lawyer involved or use small claims. It could be a pain if they don't play ball but make sure they replace EVERYTHING, don't let them low ball you. Shouldn't cost you a darn dime in the end. This should have never happened.

I am glad your alright of course but make sure you are not injured. That is important! Bike is just a thing but your not!

I would NOT ride that bike under any circumstance. That kind of impact/accident is dangerous on the bike and might only result it in another dangerous situation with you on it some day. Its now retired......salvage what you can and move on no matter what!
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 04-19-20, 12:11 PM
m4rrk021

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies.

I really am okay, the speed of the van made me move exceptionally quickly. I would have saved my bike if I could but I think it was necessary to abandon it in order to save my legs. I sort of had to push it forward to come off backwards and also hope that the sound of the bike crushing would stop him. I called the police and they said that I should only report it if the insurance company need a number but that they're happy to do it afterwards so hopefully that'll be okay(?)

I suppose I'm most bothered about the insurance company trying to repair it at one of their repair agents. Or because the bike is no longer made giving me some inferior solution or paying me the cost of the bike. Whilst this is 100% better than nothing I'm not sure I can get the same spec for that price anymore as I got a great deal on it.

I suppose I'll wait and se eon Monday and let you know how I get on.
Old 04-19-20, 12:28 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Just a question, but was the driver able to see you in his rearview mirror(s)? If you were too close to the tailgate you were likely invisible unless the truck was equipped with a (working) backup camera.

Keep this in mind in the future, and ride with lights on at all times.

Meanwhile, I recommend getting the police report and demanding full replacement of the bike, as opposed to repair. You might want to take the bike to a dealer yourself and get their estimate; I'd expect them to declare it scrap.

Good luck!
Likes For rollagain:
Old 04-19-20, 12:38 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
My first approach would be to ask the driver if he will pay a cash settlement. He may pay, so he doesn't look bad to his employer.

The company may even pay a cash settlement.

Insurance premiums go up big time when transport companies make a claim. With inexpensive accidents, cash payouts would be less expensive.
Old 04-19-20, 12:46 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Just a question, but was the driver able to see you in his rearview mirror(s)? If you were too close to the tailgate you were likely invisible unless the truck was equipped with a (working) backup camera.

I've driven a few vans and it really is terrifying when you see a cyclists and then another second the person has vanished, but they haven't, they're in the blind spot. I've had cars get too close and they just disappear.

I'm not trying to put the blame on the OP, but you've got to be sooo careful around vans and trucks. My general rule of thumb is that if I can't see the van or trucks mirrors then I figure they can't see me.

As for the OP it sounds like he was very lucky to get out of that situation alive. Stuff if just stuff, your life is worth way more than any piece of stuff.
Old 04-19-20, 01:10 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Here is what I think could be tricky. Being the USPS is a govt agency they are probably in all reality self insured, so they will not have a commercial contract to work with. So they are going to either offer you a cash settlement, pay to make the fixes even though that is a really terrible idea or tell you to lawyer up and see you in court.

It doesn't matter what your bike was actually worth, you need to go after a replacement price. And by for gosh sakes YES GET A POLICE REPORT ASAP! That is simple piece of paper that you can use as leverage. If they play hard ball or don't want to pay you have that saying their driver backed over you and placing fault. Its so important to get a report!!! GET A REPORT!!!

did I mention get a report.
Old 04-19-20, 01:23 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain

Definitely have to keep this in mind. I've been backed up on while on my motorcycles with road worthy headlights back in the day with SUVs having rear windows and rear view mirrors. In those cases a fistful of pounding on their vehicle is the only thing that got them to stop. Most drivers just don't look for human sized obstructions while operating their vehicles.

A van or truck with no rear windows, nowadays they ought to have a back up camera but that sure isn't widespread on commercial vehicles. I don't know if rear view cameras are used by Parcel Post.
Old 04-19-20, 01:44 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Here is what I think could be tricky. Being the USPS is a govt agency they are probably in all reality self insured, so they will not have a commercial contract to work with. So they are going to either offer you a cash settlement, pay to make the fixes even though that is a really terrible idea or tell you to lawyer up and see you in court..
Parcel Force is not USPS and is in the UK.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-19-20, 03:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
It’s not a good idea to discuss these things on social media.

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...bers-read.html
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-19-20, 03:41 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by dedhed
Parcel Force is not USPS and is in the UK.
I didn't know that, I thought he was making fun of the mail system with that term lol...
Old 04-19-20, 04:03 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 267 Posts
If you get pushed back for replacement the bike is way cheaper than your leg.
Old 04-19-20, 06:38 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I agree with the comment if you were in his middle line and on his rear close enough that in his side mirrors could not see you then there may be an issue. Then again, maybe not......heck, you can sue for hot coffee being hot in modern day times.

I always when in traffic make sure I am visible to the left or right side mirror for this reason. Not saying you weren’t, just something to think on.

As to the bike.....you said it was carbon and he rode over the frame.....TOAST! I don’t care if you don’t see any damage to the eye. I would not barrel down a descent for it to finally give and seriously injure me.

Good luck and hope it ends in your favor.
Old 04-20-20, 09:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
Take what's left of your bike to a bike shop, and ask them for a written quote on repairing everything. Then ask for a written quote on the new bike you want with all the goodies installed. The new bike is likely less expensive. Take both of them with you when you go talk to the insurance people.
Old 04-20-20, 09:17 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
My first approach would be to ask the driver if he will pay a cash settlement. He may pay...
What? The driver is employed. It's his employer's liability, not his. Any driver who deal in cash on the side would be one who should be fired, not the employee who goes to his boss with an immediate report. Accidents happen. So does deception. Who wants a deceptive employee? I certainly don't.

The employer has liability insurance covering the vehicles when in use for business. That's what it's for. Also, not cash. The OP should get two replacement estimates. The bike is compromised, so should be considered a total loss. Replacement value is what the OP should seek. Sign nothing by way of release of liabilities, also, until you have been checked by a doctor and given things time. A minor concussion can still wind up giving you bouts of vertigo (BPPV) that may require therapies to treat.
Old 04-20-20, 09:24 AM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I have unwritten rules I follow when driving or riding. Like, don't drive/ride in another vehicle's blind spot, and don't drive/ride too close behind another vehicle. Accidents can happen to any of us, but there are ways to reduce your likelihood of having an accident.
Old 04-20-20, 10:39 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
Never try to negotiate on the replacement of the bike yourself unless you have no other recourse. Take the bike to a trusted bike shop for them to evaluate, and have an equivalent bike quoted. Equivalent does not always mean cost - A Specialized Tarmac with Shimano 105 is the same range as a Nashbar Carbon with Shimano 105 - but there might be as much as a $2,000 price difference. That does not mean lie and cheat, but it does put you in an advantageous position if the Postal service or Insurance adjuster tries to low-ball you. Also - You Are Not An Expert. Even if you are a bike store owner or employee, now you are biased! Have a recognized expert provide the quote. If by a miracle they are completely confident that the frame is fine, you still need to have them provide a full, RETAIL PRICE estimate for all damages. You have to go into this looking at the situation as one where you don't want to make any mis-steps where your safety and the quality of the new or repaired bike is in any question at all. You are not a mechanic, even if you are. You are not an inspector, even if you are. The ultimate goal is to have a settlement that will provide just as good a bike as the one you already had. If at the end of it all you get a check and can then go Internet shopping and buy a huge upgrade - that's OK as long as you don't screw over the LBS who did the estimates for you.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 06-07-20, 03:19 PM
m4rrk021

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Result

Hi,

Just to follow up for anyone that’s interested. I received a payout about 1 month after the incident for a decent amount. It was equivalent to the new price of the bike and the parts lost. They might not have allocated it like this but it’s what it worked out out I.e there might have been a loss of use component whilst I waited for the processing or for bruises?

Anyhow I also got to keep the old bike for parts. so with this and a few bob extra I’m now rocking an F10. I was lucky and am now paying for my own insurance too just in case.

Thanks for all your responses / comments they helped.

PS - it got awks when the same guy came to collect a parcel from my house a few weeks later!!

Mark
Likes For m4rrk021:
Old 06-07-20, 03:21 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,609 Times in 3,788 Posts
I'm glad to hear that it all worked out.
Old 06-07-20, 06:43 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
My first approach would be to ask the driver if he will pay a cash settlement. He may pay, so he doesn't look bad to his employer.

The company may even pay a cash settlement.

Insurance premiums go up big time when transport companies make a claim. With inexpensive accidents, cash payouts would be less expensive.
Thats a pretty scummy thing to do. It happened on the clock. Regardless of what happened, thats on the company. If a driver is unsafe enought that he is willing to pay that out of pocket, he probably shouldn't be on the road.
Old 06-07-20, 06:45 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
I would have requested the officer out for a report anyway. In my state, any vehicle accident over I think $1000 requires a report. I am not familiar with your bike, but with you saying Di2, I would assume it is over that dollar figure.
Old 06-08-20, 01:52 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
I would have requested the officer out for a report anyway. In my state, any vehicle accident over I think $1000 requires a report. I am not familiar with your bike, but with you saying Di2, I would assume it is over that dollar figure.
Yeah, in Michigan it's $500 or any injury. Failure to do so qualifies as a 'hit and run' offense.