Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fell into a frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Fell into a frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-24, 07:28 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
@Erzulis Boat By the way, because yours has track dropouts it's most likely an "Olympic Sprint" or "Olympic Path" model. The same bilaminate lugs were used on both that and the New Allrounder until the spearpoint lugs of the Olympic Sprint changed for the 1951 model year. In 1950 both models would have had the lugs you've got and been distinguished by other factors, such as the dropouts and frame angles. The photos below are of the path models from the 1949 catalogue and an Olympic Sprint that is apparently transitional between the older "Olympic Path" with these lugs and the spearpoint Olympic Sprints. I'm not sure of the exact year on this bike, which I also shared earlier.

-Gregory

(EDIT: Well, the red bicycle below may actually have been an "Olympic Path" which I suspect changed to the Olympic Sprint with the introduction of the spearpoint bilaminate lugs. I've only seen the Sprint with the latter. I say this because I just noticed the second set of photos I have of the bike - including the full shot above - does not include the transfer with the model name so apparently that is a reproduction decal put on by someone between the two photo shoots, which I found a couple of years apart.)

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 01-18-24 at 08:21 PM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 01-19-24, 09:23 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts

It's a steep fellow. I will measure, but it looks like head angle is 75 degrees or so. As seen, frame/fork/headset it weighs 6 pounds 7 ounces.

Confirmed it's a 1.125 top tube diameter, but I knew it was "oversize" the first time that I picked it up, "This is odd" I thought, only later did I find out that this was an option, I mean it's obvious. The pencil seatstays are "round-oval-round" and the fork blades are skinny as could be. I actually had a laugh when I held the fork.

Check out the brazed on washer to reinforce the pinch slot on the seat tube. Nice! I also appreciated that the painter didn't overdo things, and left the original tooling and file marks etc. The mistake is to put modern finishing standards and apply them to the vintage stuff.

The seatpost clamp is made from phosphor bronze and was then chrome plated. To those that asked, there is no brake drilling on rear bridge. I am thinking it was the top of the line Path (track) bike of 1950.

As I understand, the fork crown would be chrome, but either it never came that way, or more likely is that the repaint covered it. Either way, I am happy.
Old 01-19-24, 09:39 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Again, lovely! They ride really great. I'm just too into period-correct restorations and put some proper track bars on my '52 and simply didn't find the thing comfortable enough to ride leisurely. I sold it to a fellow forum member last year who did the right thing but putting more practical bars on it. Do find yourself a Chater Lea crankset and one inch pitch chainrings and chain and you'll be set! Mine also came as a nice, albeit older, restoration, and I built it up precisely to Claud Butler's catalogue specification for a complete bicycle.

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 01-19-24, 09:39 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 344 Posts
I was checking out the catalogues, 1951 Sprint models came in 3 versions.
The Olympic Sprint has the "New de-luxe spearpoint bi-laminates" and 1-1/8" top tube.
Quoted weight for welded version is 18.5 lbs !!!!!!

It does say either 73 degress parallel or 75 head and 72 seat.
The nearest non-track versions seem to be Avant-Coureur Special or International Club: both 74/72 and 23.5lbs

Likes For Aardwolf: