Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Diagnose pics of damaged fork steerer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-14, 05:35 PM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

See pics and diagnose the cause of the damage to this fork steerer. Despite the scoring looking quite deep in the pictures, upon measuring the scoring, I confirmed that they are no deeper than the milled slot in the fork steererr that the slotted washer mates with. I am guessing this was caused by a loose headset, which must have caused the steerer to come into contact with a stationary part of the headset -- probably the headtube top race. Fortunately, I found this in the process of taking this fork out of service, to replace it with a NOS fork and a new cartridge headset. I would think that if this fork were used for a long time in this current condition that the steerer would eventually crack off at this scored section, right?

Interestingly, the scoring is on the front-facing section of the steerer. I would have thought that a loose headset causing the steerer to rub would cause it to rub on the back side. Is my logic accurate or inaccurate?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140721_183433.jpg (85.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_20140721_183451.jpg (87.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 07-21-14, 05:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked 2,666 Times in 1,484 Posts
Yes, the likely cause is a loose headset, but could also be some kind of debris, or a misloaded ball when you assembled the headset.

The shape and location of the gouge has me thinking if maybe it's below the headset altogether. Maybe the rivet or screw holding on a head badge.

However, you're right that if it were rubbing against the lip of the headset, the worst damage would be toward the back. I'd start the diagnosis by installing the upper race and locknut to gauge the height vs. the headset, then looking for corresponding damage in the headset or head tube .

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-21-14, 05:54 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
the super smooth round profile
makes me think misplaced headset ball
but i could be wrong
Old 07-21-14, 05:55 PM
RavingManiac

Bikes: 90 Raleigh Chill MTB, 92 Trek 1200, 2004 Trek 2300, 67 Sports, 70 Sports, 71 Philips, Lotus Challenger, 74 Super Course, Univega Gran Tourismo, Nishiki Seral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't that steerer be a stronger steel than anything it would likely come in contact with? That's a serious gouge, almost looks intentional, like someone was going to cut down the steerer and found out their old rusty hacksaw blade was no match for the chromo steerer.
Old 07-21-14, 05:57 PM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Ah ha. I like your reasoning, and I bet it came from a ball becoming trapped where it should not have been. I will pull the fork and inspect the head tube to look for a head badge rivet as a possible cause, too. Man, to think of a steerer shearing off -- what a terrifying thought. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooch!
Old 07-21-14, 05:59 PM
RavingManiac

Bikes: 90 Raleigh Chill MTB, 92 Trek 1200, 2004 Trek 2300, 67 Sports, 70 Sports, 71 Philips, Lotus Challenger, 74 Super Course, Univega Gran Tourismo, Nishiki Seral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
the super smooth round profile
makes me think misplaced headset ball
but i could be wrong
That looks like a possibility. Couldn't have been buttery smooth steerer action.
Old 07-21-14, 06:01 PM
motorapido

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
I would think that a hardened ball bearing would be far, far harder than cromo steel, and the profile of the score pretty much matches the profile a a loose ball bearing.
Old 07-21-14, 06:01 PM
RavingManiac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That blue looks familiar, is that fork off a Raleigh Chill mountain bike, a Tange Bigfork by any chance?
Old 07-21-14, 06:05 PM
motorapido

Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Tange fork on the Panasonic-made frame of a 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2. My darling baby, which I bought brand-new with my paper route money. Many tens upon tens of thousands of miles on the old girl. I bought a NOS Tange fork with the standard stem diameter so I can get away from the dumb Schwinn-specific stem diameter. Glad I did, now that I discovered this damage.
Old 07-21-14, 07:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked 2,666 Times in 1,484 Posts
Originally Posted by motorapido
..... Man, to think of a steerer shearing off -- what a terrifying thought. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooch!
Not to worry, that simply wouldn't have happened. the quill stem extends well below the affected area, so if/when the top failed, the top bearing would become very obviously loose, but the fork, steerer, stem has no place to go and would allow you to maintain control and even ride the bike home (as long as you take it easy and don't have far to go)

Love or hate various bike designs, but most of the older systems evolved when materials and processes were less reliable and so had a certain amount of redundancy and safety built in. I think back to vintage fork steerers that had a safety device in the form of a wooden dowel plug extending from the fork crown to well in to the lower bearing. Steerer snaps, and the plug prevents a face plant.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-21-14, 07:52 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by RavingManiac
Wouldn't that steerer be a stronger steel than anything it would likely come in contact with? That's a serious gouge, almost looks intentional, like someone was going to cut down the steerer and found out their old rusty hacksaw blade was no match for the chromo steerer.
cromo steel has very good mechanical properties
but is not exceptionally hard or immune to scratching or grinding
Old 07-21-14, 10:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
At least you caught it before it broke off .

replacing it .. Good plan ...
Old 07-22-14, 07:41 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by motorapido
Man, to think of a steerer shearing off -- what a terrifying thought. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooch!
It happened to me. Luckly I knew something was wrong, so I was almost stopped when it broke. I landed in front of an ice cream place, on my face. All those folks wating to get ice cream cones saw me leave half my face in the street. It hurt.
Old 07-22-14, 11:56 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
It must have sheared of at the bottom.