Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Homebrew elctronic shifting: you would totally buy the servos for that, right?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: Interested?
TAKE MY MONEY
2.44%
Definitely interested, but I wouldn't pay more than $200
9.76%
Cool idea, I know folks who'd love that
26.83%
Meh
60.98%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 09:27 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts

If someone (say, maybe me) one day came out with servos to actuate your mechanical derailers, with a weatherproof battery and an arduino running open source code with an associated wiki online, how many of you folks would be into that?

Such a servo would make it possible to electronically shift any bike, not to mention syncro shift (sequential, with automatic FD shifts). Pretty sweet... I've been considering it for a while, and I have a mate who designed a similar thing for cruise control on motorbikes.
Old 10-25-16, 10:17 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Way too complicated. Electric servo shifting does not need a processor.
Old 10-25-16, 10:33 AM
skimaxpower

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love that my bicycle is one of the few items in my life that does not require electricity, charging, batteries, or a radio signal.

Not interested.
Old 10-25-16, 10:39 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be interested in the technology. Not sure I'd want to retrofit a bike with the generic servos/batteries and an Arduino with cabling and associated modules. Manipulating front and rear derailleurs by hand convinces me that the servos that would be required to move them, reliably, and the batteries to power those servos, would add too much weight to a bicycle. It's a nifty idea, but probably not practical.
Old 10-25-16, 10:41 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
No disrespect to your skills/abilities, but there is way to much fiddly stuff involved to get good shifting with the various combinations possible to expect your solution to work well. and getting it to be easy to install, look good and be durable.

If i ever go electronic, I want an integrated solution with no kludges.

That said it would be interesting to see with what you come up with.

(and I am still fighting getting a shield kit to work with an arduino board and homemade Triac board to blink Christmas lights to music....so I may PM you

Old 10-25-16, 11:05 AM
trailflow1

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
You mean something like this below or would you have a different approach ?

XShifter brings wireless electronic shifting to any bike, any derailleur - Bikerumor
Old 10-25-16, 11:06 AM
slimyfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skimaxpower
i love that my bicycle is one of the few items in my life that does not require electricity, charging, batteries, or a radio signal.

Not interested.
+1
One of the reasons I ride is to get away from all those things.
Old 10-25-16, 11:27 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by trailflow1

XShifter brings wireless electronic shifting to any bike, any derailleur - Bikerumor
Lots of wires in that.

From the OP's post, I picture a big gel cell duct taped to the frame, some switches, four big solenoids bolted to rapid fire shifters on the bar, and an arduino blinking some LEDs to distract the Fred.

Last edited by AnkleWork; 10-25-16 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 11:50 AM
trailflow1

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Lots of wires in that.

From the OP's post, I picture a big gel cell duct taped to the frame, some switches, four big solenoids bolted to rapid fire shifters on the bar, and an arduino blinking some LEDs to distract the Fred.

you mean like this ?
DIY Electronic Derailleur
Old 10-25-16, 12:14 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I love that my bicycle is one of the few items in my life that does not require electricity, charging, batteries, or a radio signal.

Not interested.
+100, really not interested.
Old 10-25-16, 12:32 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've thought about it, but go and price the servos, some hardware to house it and driver circuit, even an Arduino implementation and it's pretty expensive.

If you can supply that setup inexpensively, open source on the Arduino so I can add sensors and other whimsical ideas, I'd go for it.
Old 10-25-16, 12:49 PM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slimyfrog
+1
one of the reasons i ride is to get away from all those things.
+2 :d
Old 10-25-16, 04:05 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Some energetic DIY person had a series of posts on BF 5 or so yrs ago showing his adaptation of servos to
modified mechanical RD/FD. Don't recall any intelligence (ie microprocessor) applied, just switches, battery
and the servos. Biggest job was carving up the RD and mounting the servo.
Old 10-25-16, 04:22 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I'm on DA 9000 mechanical now. IF I wanted electronic shifting, I'd go with an integrated system from Shimano because everyone I know that rides it says it works really well and they don't have to fuss with it. I don't see any way you can build a homemade DIY solution that is going to work better than what Shimano offers and that wouldn't require bolt on, kludgy looking parts.
Old 10-26-16, 01:35 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
During winters, there are enough gadgets I need to keep charged anyhow. Lights, electrically heated soles. One more item would only mean one more wall wart and one more socket occupied. I can live with that.

My self-imposed spending limit is dependent on reviews and (easily available) features. $200 is about max I'd spend based on "this looks fun". Greater certainty of function and usefulness would increase my will to spend.

Features I (think) I'd like are:
- integrated, sequential shifting for BOTH derailers, controlled by toggle switch(es). Flip the switch one way to shift up, another to shift down. The system figures out if it's a front shift, or a rear shift, or both that's needed to reach the next usefully different gear ratio.

- It should be possible to input shifting commands from more than one spot.

- a pre-set starter gear, available by maybe one extra long button push or something like that.

- Speed matching. If I'm coasting (to a stop), the system should put the bike in an appropriate starting gear automatically. Might require the location and resurrection of an old bike equipped with the Shimano FFS crankset.

I'm reasonably certain that I'd like these features, in the order listed.
I'm not so sure I'd like fully automatic shifting. But some kind of "Cruise mode" would be interesting to try.
Old 10-26-16, 06:04 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like a great idea. I really like the thought of electronic shifting, but they seem to come in at too high of a price. I'm happy with mechanical, and actually almost all my bikes have downtube shifters even, some friction. But still I'd love to have one setup with electronic. Being a tech/engineer over the years I love this kind of stuff and often think of ways to make the current electronic shifters better, though I admit I am not that familiar with them. Seems that most require windows (or maybe mac?) to setup and whatnot, so that puts me out since I only run Linux at home. Maybe if they could be programmed over wifi or bluetooth so that it wasn't OS specific (again maybe some now are, I'm not sure). One of my biggest pet peeves in conventional 2x or 3x setups is the out of order shifting. Having actual software running on a microprocessor/microcontroller would allow possibilites of automatic front shifting. so you just input an up or down shift and it might actually change the front and rear to get to whatever is the next gear. Also having extremely low profile shifter unit is nice, not needing giant paddles and levers. You could also have a shifter back on the bar in the thumb-shifter position and another set on the hoods/drops so you could shift from your most used positions, maybe a third module on aero bars, etc. It could also be programmed to do customizable things by doing something like a double click or a long click, etc. You could set it to drop or raise 5 gear at a time for example, or maybe initiate the auto downshift, or drop all the way to lowest gear, etc. Perhaps an auto mode you could input a desired cadence, and the system would keep it in the closest gear to achieve a preset cadence.

It is neat to think about the possibilities. Not so neat about the expense though.
Old 10-26-16, 06:34 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Sounds cool to me. I enjoy my bikes as they are, still I'd buy one electronic shifter if I could justify the cost. This could be the way around it and still keep a vintage style setup.
Old 10-26-16, 07:00 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by trailflow1

Gazumped!

That's pretty close to what I envisioned, actually. Although I was thinking a rotary actuator might be necessary to incorporate a non-linear compensation spring to minimise load on the servo.

I wouldn't consider it a goer unless it could be reasonably tidy, but I guess you're still looking at a box at least the size of a pack of smokes at the bottom of the downtube in front of the bb... Or at the top of the seat tube on a MTB.
Old 10-26-16, 11:44 AM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Not interested.
I agree completely. For most riders there would be no benefit to an eletrically shifted derailleur. I doubt that it would be as reliable as a mechanical one.

Last edited by Delmarva; 10-26-16 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 11:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I rode my sister in law's bike with Ultegra electronic shifting, and it did work very well. But my bikes work fine. What problem does your proposal fix? I mean, it certainly is very cool, but my question stands.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-26-16, 12:11 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
4 major players all have electronic shifting it's hard to see how any homebrew system can realistically compete. The only thing a home brew system can compete on are going to be features or price, both of which are going to be difficult to match against existing solutions.

Sequential shifting would be a nice touch, but Shimano already has it (XT/XTR), and so it likely won't matter by the time any home brew solution could be remotely ready.
Old 10-26-16, 12:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
"Progress isn't possible without deviation from the norm", right @Kimmo?

One thing that I've thought would be cool would be brifters with a friction option. Say what you want about the difficulty of friction-shifting 10/11-speed cogs, but mechanical systems seem to go out of adjustment a lot more readily than older systems. But I imagine that the major manufacturers have too much pride in their indexed systems to offer that capability. An "open source" shifting system would.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-27-16, 05:41 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by noglider
What problem does your proposal fix?
Not being able to afford electronic shifting, and/or not being able to use existing systems on the drivetrain of your choice.

I started thinking about it as a way to make a half-step triple (38/50/52, linked in my tag) a practical proposition.
Old 10-27-16, 06:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don't follow. Can't a cable actuated FD shift that triple?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-27-16, 09:42 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Hmmm. Didn't realize I was in luddite-ville here. I think it is way cool and have thought about it myself. I do appreciate the timelessness of bicycle designs but I also love cool projects. Carry on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.